As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I think today might be the index day. its also the day where Alyx previews are going to be released (from the game reviewers with early copies). Would be a good time to open the market. (For the 15 minutes it remains in stock). going to pay close attention today.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Finished off Blood and Truth on the weekend, that was a fun time as an action hero, though some of the scenes of standing there while people talked at you went on a little bit too long.

Started up Farpoint, which is my first time using the Aim controller which is a nice bit of kit! Took me a bit of messing around to get the settings how I wanted them but the options are all there which is nice, especially as a lefty - being able to swap the sticks from default so my thumbs can do their usual jobs in moving and looking was appreciated. So far so good, but could not recommend to arachnaphobes.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    McFodder wrote: »
    Finished off Blood and Truth on the weekend, that was a fun time as an action hero, though some of the scenes of standing there while people talked at you went on a little bit too long.

Started up Farpoint, which is my first time using the Aim controller which is a nice bit of kit! Took me a bit of messing around to get the settings how I wanted them but the options are all there which is nice, especially as a lefty - being able to swap the sticks from default so my thumbs can do their usual jobs in moving and looking was appreciated. So far so good, but could not recommend to arachnaphobes.

I know I said this awhile ago when I got my Aim/Farpoint bundle, but as someone who has, maybe not clinical arachnophobia, but plenty of issues with spiders and spider-like movement: Over the course of my Farpoint playthrough, I went from sweaty-palms, tingly-nape anxiousness and jumping at (and drilling full of bullets) every shadow, to walking right up to a shifting mound of sand that I knew was about to disgorge a Smart Car-sized trapdoor-spider monstrosity while calmly reloading my shotgun, and muttering "c'mon, c'mon, I ain't got all day!". VR shoot-the-big-spider may not work to desensitize everyone, but it sure worked for me.

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed Farpoint. I mean without VR it's a 6-7 game, but the immersion that comes from VR and using the Aim controller makes all the difference.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Has anyone here used VorpX in the last 12 months or so? Based on something I saw on YouTube, I went and looked up how the software had developed since I first tried it in 2016, at which point I thought it was a waste of time and money. Things didn't look close to right, especially when moving your head. However, they've since added functionality that seems to result in a much better experience. When I next have some time, I'll want to see how it works in relatively slow and sedate games such as Dear Esther.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    RoadtoVR says the Index might come back into limited stock next Monday (and is expected to sell out again immediately), and apparently the Steam page now says Coming Soon instead of Notify Me.

That doesn't look like it's in the cards for me, so I went ahead and pre-ordered Alyx. A new headset can wait another year or more.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Valve Index VR kits will be available for purchase this Monday (March 9th) starting at 10 AM PDT (5 PM UTC).
    Well that confirms it I guess.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Valve Index VR kits will be available for purchase this Monday (March 9th) starting at 10 AM PDT (5 PM UTC).

@azith28 @Isorn

• Options
    Karoz wrote: »

@azith28 @Isorn

Dunno if thats a 'confirm', if your talking about that tweet i heard about yesterday. it wasnt official was it?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

@azith28 @Isorn

Dunno if thats a 'confirm', if your talking about that tweet i heard about yesterday. it wasnt official was it?
    ...it's from an email I received from Valve.

dn3oa8075cbp.png

• Options
    https://youtu.be/JA0KvG8KFDQ

Welp I gotta try out Blade and Sorcery now

• Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular

Is that from a mod? Haven't seen removable enemy armor.

• Options

@azith28 @Isorn

...it's from an email I received from Valve.

dn3oa8075cbp.png

dafuk's my email steam??

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Man, this gets funnier every time I watch it.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the little flourish with the fingers is what sets me off every time

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Couple of dupes from the VR humble bundle if anyone wants to snap them up.

GORN: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Dc85yeA32vak6YRV
    Space Pirate Trainer: https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=ZZvDWzHR3kBRCDYV

Disclaimer. I am not responsible for damage caused to you or your surroundings while playing GORN!

• Options
    Yeah, that GORN trailer is true to form. It's kind of hard to recommend if you don't have the room size play space.

Now that Daylight Savings is upon us, it's time to update the weekly VR game time--it's still UTC 11 pm, but now 4pm Pacific, etc etc.

Sure it's mostly just been me and templewulf, but we're always ready to play with more.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    @Campy, I snagged that Gorn code. Thanks! I'd always heard good things, but hadn't picked it up yet.

• Options
    Reminder to interested parties that the Index should be back in stock tomorrow at 5 PM UTC

• Options
    T-minus 5 minutes

• Options
    Uhh... okay? so i hit the button to order as soon as it was available. it flagged the product as 'ordered' on my account, but it didnt ask me to check out. anyone else having the same thing?

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I had a friend who had issues with the order page as well.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Though he just said it came back!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Uhh... okay? so i hit the button to order as soon as it was available. it flagged the product as 'ordered' on my account, but it didnt ask me to check out. anyone else having the same thing?

That confused me too, but it's explained by the email they sent out. It says they'll ask for order details when they're close to being ready to ship.

• Options
    So that didnt quite go as well as i expected...

I kinda expected them to have enough units prepared to have a decent showing of it. (I figured even with the virus problems, the parts being shipped from china + assembly in the US would have meant lots were avail before the delays began)...I took a day off from work to make sure i had a chance...was in front of my two computers, my main one logged into steam, the other had the kit page open in a web browser, was refreshing them both...suddenly i see the button change at 1pm from coming soon to 'order'. I mash the button, get a popup that had an error message in it (something went wrong). go back,closed the popup,refreshed the page, hit the order button again...same popup. closed popup, refreshed....and the order button is now 'ordered' and grey. I hit it anyway and it shows my order in process...freaking me out for a minute since it skipped payment. I get an email from valve saying ive ordered it...email timestamp is 1pm.

Then i find out that apparently the first 'batch' which I'm presuming was all there existing available stock, were sold out before i hit the button for the first time. everything that happen from availability to email happen within 1 minute.

I'm hoping that the 2 to 4 weeks estimate on my in-process page is realistic. I've heard some people are seeing 4 to 8 weeks, so at least i appear to have gotten early in the queue for the next batch.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Got email! checked out! VR Kit payment complete, currently in 'processing'. Downloading all VR games now!
    Edit1: Shipping soon!

azith28 on
  • Options
    Okay, so Index owners. What am i going to be looking at when i first get my set? is there software built into it to act as a tutorial? My only experience with vr so far has been with a Quest, and that one had everything installed in the unit itself. (I ended up returning the quest, deciding to go with an index). what can i do to prepare the physical play area/base station locations etc?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Okay, so Index owners. What am i going to be looking at when i first get my set? is there software built into it to act as a tutorial? My only experience with vr so far has been with a Quest, and that one had everything installed in the unit itself. (I ended up returning the quest, deciding to go with an index). what can i do to prepare the physical play area/base station locations etc?

SteamVR holds your hand through the process.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited March 2020

It's pretty straightforward! It's been awhile but I'm pretty sure Steam will download SteamVR when you plug in the headset -- you can also just go to Steam and download it now to prepare.

But yes, it will walk you through room setup and it's explained clearly. There's also a tutorial to get you used to Chaperone (virtual wall) and the controllers.

As far as physically preparing the area -- you want to clear out a rectangular space with as much room as possible. You can map your space to not be rectangular, but for purposes of playing games SteamVR will find the largest rectangular space within the area you mapped and set the play area to be that. The base stations/sensors will go in opposite corners of the room, and need to plug into an electrical outlet. The updated sensors you get with the Index apparently don't even need to be able to physically see eachother, which is nice!

I have my sensors mounted with command strips and have had no issues with it -- buy the strongest ones, read the instructions, and you should be solid (I'm also using the gen 1 sensors and the new ones appear to be a bit lighter which should make it even more practical). If you want to be more cautious (which is understandable) the official recommendation is to use the included mounting hooks and mount the sensors to your ceiling by drilling some holes.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

The Lab is a great bunch of experiences to get your VR-feet ready.

Then, start Beat Saber or Space Pirate Trainer and begin flailing wildly.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    I need to prep my play area. I've got an open space but I have to figure out how to move my computer to the best spot, setup the base stations and protect my cables from my cats, all while also having my monitor and desk still able to access everything. Luckily I've got a pretty clear area to work with, but its still going to take some prep work and redesigning.

• Options
    Hmm, I think I need to start moving some headsets like the Rift to the no longer produced section, be it a subset of the PC VR or something else.

Still taking any contributions to the OP as developments are made, even just fun stuff for new comers.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I need to prep my play area. I've got an open space but I have to figure out how to move my computer to the best spot, setup the base stations and protect my cables from my cats, all while also having my monitor and desk still able to access everything. Luckily I've got a pretty clear area to work with, but its still going to take some prep work and redesigning.

Photography tripods work well for base stations if you don't want to mount on the wall and they can be packed up and move. Or those contractor 3rd hand poles that just goes between floor and ceiling.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
      edited March 2020
      TimFiji wrote: »

Photography tripods work well for base stations if you don't want to mount on the wall and they can be packed up and move. Or those contractor 3rd hand poles that just goes between floor and ceiling.

I bought the cheapest Neewer stands from Micro Center. They worked, but they vibrated enough to be a little distracting.

Later on, I switched to photography mounts on clamps. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L9TNSCD/

I put them on a 1x4 IKEA kallax; I thought it would be too short for tracking, but it actually works 99% as well as mounting them at 7'

It's not practical for everyone, but I much prefer this solution.

templewulf on
      Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    • Options
      General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
      If you have access to a 3d printer or a library with one, then you can 3d print some wall mounts for the base stations.

I'll dig up the thingiverse link this evening, but honestly I may have posted the link earlier in this thread.

3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    • Options
      The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
      Apogee wrote: »
      Dhalphir wrote: »

The Lab is a great bunch of experiences to get your VR-feet ready.

Then, start Beat Saber or Space Pirate Trainer and begin flailing wildly.

Also Hand Lab to try out your new Knuckles controllers.

Don't forget to get Revive so that you don't miss out on Oculus exclusives.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    • Options
      So people who have index base stations (I assume the 2.0 version is what i will get with my order).
      I'm trying to see if these tripods will work, and if i need to buy any other connection accessories to make it fit. The problem im running into is that i have not been able to find a photo of the bottom of the base stations. will it just screw in from the bottom of the base station onto the top of the ball join connection of this tripod without any other accessories or is the only screw point the back of the base station? If its only the back, im confused how thats going to work since the ball joint would be blocking the power outlet and not be able to be pointed downward.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFG14ZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1