As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    So ahh, advice on disinfecting VR headsets? Is it practical, or do I need to hoard my Index to myself for a couple of months?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    So ahh, advice on disinfecting VR headsets? Is it practical, or do I need to hoard my Index to myself for a couple of months?
    Keep it to yourself unless you want to be cleaning the lenses after every individual's use.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I mean I wouldn't loan it out but if someone's in your house for enough time to try on your headset, you're gonna catch anything they have anyway.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    More specifically -- what can I disinfect the lenses with that won't damage them?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    More specifically -- what can I disinfect the lenses with that won't damage them?
    Alcohol swab.

Edit: source is second hand from steam support. Sounds like you can contact them directly if you like.

Edit 2: in fact, please contact Steam Support directly and tell us what they say!

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I'd worry more about disinfecting the faceplate.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So people who have index base stations (I assume the 2.0 version is what i will get with my order).
    I'm trying to see if these tripods will work, and if i need to buy any other connection accessories to make it fit. The problem im running into is that i have not been able to find a photo of the bottom of the base stations. will it just screw in from the bottom of the base station onto the top of the ball join connection of this tripod without any other accessories or is the only screw point the back of the base station? If its only the back, im confused how thats going to work since the ball joint would be blocking the power outlet and not be able to be pointed downward.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFG14ZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to fit the standard (1/4"?) mount that cameras use. I used these until I wall mounted them. There's a screw mount on the back and bottom of the base stations.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      azith28azith28 Registered User regular
      jdarksun wrote: »
      Alcohol swab.

Edit: source is second hand from steam support. Sounds like you can contact them directly if you like.

Edit 2: in fact, please contact Steam Support directly and tell us what they say!

whoa whoa whoa, i heard someone say the instructions specifically say NOT to use alcohol on the lenses.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    • Options
      General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
      edited March 2020
      If you're willing to spend some cash, go to one of the VR lens insert sites like vroptician or vr lens lab. You want to pick up some "Plano" lenses, which are lenses with no vision correction. This should protect your headset's lenses from being smudged or scratched during use. You can also remove the inserts for easy cleaning. If you accidentally scratch the inserts, then you can just buy new ones since they cost far less than a new headset.

VR lens quotes $30 for theirs atm. VR optictian is nearly twice as much, but that's because of a bunch of coatings that I don't see a way to opt out of atm (the checkboxes are locked?). Aside from the purchase cost, the only other downside is that you lose out on a millimeter or two of how closely you can move the lenses to your face, but that hasn't bothered me. If you wear glasses, consider getting a prescription set of lenses made instead.

If I were cleaning the lenses themselves, I'd probably use compressed air to blow away any debris and then carefully wipe it with a clean microfiber cloth.

General_Armchair on
      3DS Friend Code:
      Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    • Options

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3863144
      ^this is the index base station wall mount that I'm using. It's got two parts. A main plate that attaches to the wall either with screws or command strips, and a secondary plate that attaches to the base station so that you can take them off the wall for storage if you want with ease.

eyoxroziz7e9.jpg

n1i5kuubkw2t.jpg

I used a "marble" filament (which I think looks more like granite) since I thought that it looked more appealing than plain plastic.

d1ipma36m98d.jpg

Technically the below link is what I'm actually using, but one of the mounting holes for the base station is misaligned. Apparently the dimensions slightly changed for the batch that my index was in and onwards. Yet it's been snugly held in place by the single hole. The above link is a revised version of the mount that corrects the issue
      https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3720367/comments

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      edited March 2020
      If you're still looking for room setup inspiration @azith28 -- here's a picture of my setup (you can see basestation A in top left corner, basestation B is in opposite corner off screen):

x70ilka17oxc.jpg
      (make sure to remove all basset hounds from play area before VRing)

And I hadn't really seen how easily wall mountable the 2.0 sensors are until General_Armchair's post, but they look a decent amount lighter and better designed to hang from the wall than ceiling. I would command strip the hell out of those without much concern (emphasis on "I"), as I've had these mounted with the same set of command strips for over a year without issue:

6r4vansz3e62.jpg

Fiatil on
      steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Well I'm in an apartment, so while i could probably do a wall mounted thing, I'm probably going to end up getting some tripods. the room im doing it in has a ceiling fan tho, so I'm going to play around with it manually first to figure out where best to setup in the room. i bought some cable hooks i can nail into the wall or ceiling to do a hanging setup, just depends on the cable length and how i can manuver my computer. right now ive got about an 9x9 area to work with.

• Options
      KarozKaroz Registered User regular
      Reminder of our weekly coop session in 2 hours.

We'll organize using the PAVR discord server.

Gonna take a nice nap in the meantime. Hope to see you there!

• Options
      Well I'm in an apartment, so while i could probably do a wall mounted thing, I'm probably going to end up getting some tripods. the room im doing it in has a ceiling fan tho, so I'm going to play around with it manually first to figure out where best to setup in the room. i bought some cable hooks i can nail into the wall or ceiling to do a hanging setup, just depends on the cable length and how i can manuver my computer. right now ive got about an 9x9 area to work with.

Yeah, I've got 3 command strips stuck to the back of mine and I think each one is individually supposed to be rated for more weight.

3DS Friend Code:
    • Options
      Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
      edited March 2020
      DgUwSRh.jpg

IT'S TIME!!!

Uhh, any tips on mounting the Index's basestations while doing the least amount of damage to the wall?

EDIT: Ha, I forgot what the most recent conversation was about.

Undead Scottsman on
    • Options
      got ma index. having fun with it, need new glasses tho, things are a bit fuzzy with glasses in the helmet.

Not having motion sickness but am able to get a little vertigo when standing on high places which is awesome.

so im a little confused. the steamvr thing wasnt as hand holding as id hoped. when im in the home environment, i expected that i would have access to my full steam library, but all i see are the 'most recently played' games, friends list, and the list of available rooms i can go into.

Is SteamVR required to be running every time i want to play something? i tried just running something from the library but my helmet just says 'playing next' and i see the icon of the game but doesnt actually start up unless i close it out, go into steamvr home and click the icon on the recently played thing.

if i want my entire computer available, i presume i have to run something like virtual desktop while inside steamvr? or can i just run virtual desktop and that will connect to the headset instead of steamvr?

• Options
      PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
      got ma index. having fun with it, need new glasses tho, things are a bit fuzzy with glasses in the helmet.

Not having motion sickness but am able to get a little vertigo when standing on high places which is awesome.

so im a little confused. the steamvr thing wasnt as hand holding as id hoped. when im in the home environment, i expected that i would have access to my full steam library, but all i see are the 'most recently played' games, friends list, and the list of available rooms i can go into.

Is SteamVR required to be running every time i want to play something? i tried just running something from the library but my helmet just says 'playing next' and i see the icon of the game but doesnt actually start up unless i close it out, go into steamvr home and click the icon on the recently played thing.

if i want my entire computer available, i presume i have to run something like virtual desktop while inside steamvr? or can i just run virtual desktop and that will connect to the headset instead of steamvr?

There's a SteamVR overlay with a library menu and access to the desktop.

Not sure how to open it on Index, but on Vive Cosmos it's double tapping the menu button on the left controller.

• Options
      JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
      Peewi wrote: »

There's a SteamVR overlay with a library menu and access to the desktop.

Not sure how to open it on Index, but on Vive Cosmos it's double tapping the menu button on the left controller.

On Index it's the tiny almost indented button on the controllers

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    • Options
      I have to say..The Lab is an amazing introductory game. I love blowing up the storage area.

• Options
      templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
      I have to say..The Lab is an amazing introductory game. I love blowing up the storage area.

You absolutely must play Xortex. I love its ideas about VR control idioms

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
    • Options
      yeah xortex is great. so far only gotten to level 4, but i love its method of control.

• Options
      ThirithThirith Registered User regular
      I was originally quite lukewarm about Boneworks, but especially after the patch that introduced mid-level saving and in combination with Natural Locomotion, I've come to enjoy it a lot. It's great to have a larger, more vertical playground in which to try out different approaches or just faff about. While the larger guns (especially the rifles) are a bit wobbly (I think it's that the keep colliding with my virtual arms), it's still fun to try and snipe enemies from a larger distance. Climbing is much more fun now. I still keep thinking that this would be amazing if the level designers were better, as based on the game they're adequate at best, but it's a great showcase of what a VR shooter could be. If Alyx provides a similar but more polished experience, it is going to be quite the thing.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
      "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    • Options
      Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
      Half+Half is a lot of fun... when it's working. I've had a ton of connectivity issues, but once you're in, it's a blast. To expand on the "impossible to troll" notion, any talking gets turned into cute "wobba wobba wobba" talk. The biggest issue I have is the lack of players. When a game is fully, it's so much fun. When it's not, it's lame.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    • Options
      edited March 2020
      Just played Acron this weekend with the family and it is a blast. We're planning to have the grandparents play while using Skype on the Xbox/TV so that we can all hear/see each other while playing. If you have a group of 4 or more to play with, I highly recommend Acron. Any less than 3 squirrels and it's titled heavily in favor of the tree. 3 is still usually a tree victory, but it's nearing 50/50 at that point.

I also just beat my first Expert+ track in Beat Saber yesterday, but it required enabling the "Slower Song" mod. Even then, it's still a challenge. Maybe one day I'll be able to do it without any mods... nah, won't happen, but a man can dream.

Le_Goat on
    • Options
      kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
      Le_Goat wrote: »
      Just played Acron this weekend with the family and it is a blast. We're planning to have the grandparents play while using Skype on the Xbox/TV so that we can all hear/see each other while playing. If you have a group of 4 or more to play with, I highly recommend Acron. Any less than 3 squirrels and it's titled heavily in favor of the tree. 3 is still usually a tree victory, but it's nearing 50/50 at that point.

I also just beat my first Expert+ track in Beat Saber yesterday, but it required enabling the "Slower Song" mod. Even then, it's still a challenge. Maybe one day I'll be able to do it without any mods... nah, won't happen, but a man can dream.

I played Acron at PAX, it was fun! I didn't realize it was playable online now, that's cool.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
      3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
      Steam profile
    • Options

so can Acron be played with people away from each other? it looks kinda like a jackbox thing where everyone is actually playing off there phones while i could be using the vr in a different house and just hooking up to my session right?

My gaming group friends were just talking about finding something we could play remotely until the Fearmongering virus blows over and i wanna show off my index :)

• Options
      ... the Fearmongering virus...
      Ooh, edgy. :?

Is spring also arriving at a much faster pace in much of the rest of the world? Temperatures around 18°C combined with my wife suffering from bad hayfever means that the VR room (AKA our bedroom) gets pretty warm if I'm in VR and the PC is heating up. I already find that I have to use a fan at medium speed in order not to sweat so much that the headset fogs up all the time.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
      "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    • Options
      Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
      Got my setup put together. It's a little adhoq still. Inhiereted a camera tripod for one basestation, set up the other one on some boxes sitting on a TV tray, dragged my oversized tower into the closet and stole an ethernet cable from my xbox (thankfully a shorter cable was able to replace it as the wireless on my xbox is TOTAL TRASH!!!). I noticed three things

1. Holy shit roomscale VR is the light. The ability to VR without worrying about running into a wall or knocking over a lamp is exquisite.
      2. Dear god in heaven they need to put out a wireless adaptor for the Index ASAP. Dragging my rig into this room every time I want to VR (and then dragging it back again) royally sucks. Also that cable can be a pain in the ass to deal with.
      3. I'm not sure I'm in shape enough for Half-Life: Alyx! VR can be quite the workout when you have a full room to VR in.

• Options
      kime wrote: »

I played Acron at PAX, it was fun! I didn't realize it was playable online now, that's cool.
      So just to be clear, it is like Jackbox where everyone playing needs the code, so there isn't matchmaking. I'm planning on having my folks use Skype si we can hear/see each other, but we'll still be able to play in the same game.

• Options
      edited March 2020
      Beat Saber announces New Timbaland Music Pack: https://www.oculus.com/blog/oh-timbaland-beat-saber-announces-new-timbaland-music-pack/ .

Arrives 03.26.2020

Le_Goat on
    • Options
      kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
      kime wrote: »

So just to be clear, it is like Jackbox where everyone playing needs the code, so there isn't matchmaking. I'm planning on having my folks use Skype si we can hear/see each other, but we'll still be able to play in the same game.

I don't like playing with randos anyways, it's just cool to be able to play with remote friends

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
      3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
      Steam profile
    • Options
      PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
      I looked at what games I've got that have VR support and was reminded that Dota 2 has a VR spectator thing. Turns out it's broken and none of the menu buttons work. I googled it and apparently it's been like that for over a year.

There's apparently a workaround where you download a replay from the normal UI and then use a console command to launch it in VR, but it's still shitty.

• Options
      I looked at what games I've got that have VR support and was reminded that Dota 2 has a VR spectator thing. Turns out it's broken and none of the menu buttons work. I googled it and apparently it's been like that for over a year.

There's apparently a workaround where you download a replay from the normal UI and then use a console command to launch it in VR, but it's still shitty.

Ahh damn that's no fun! I really enjoyed the spectator mode, despite not really being into Dota. It's a great template for how to use VR in top down strategy games -- you can look at the battlefield from a god's eye perspective, but you can also shrink yourself down to the size of an individual unit on the field and watch everything up close and personal.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      KarozKaroz Registered User regular

The only time I can think of 2D and VR interaction is tabletop simulator where I'm the VR headset and controllers? while everyone is just small cursors, their view unknown while I a god among cursors lord into their field of view.

• Options
      A new track was released for Pistol Whip and it's a lot of fun. I'm sure it's only been out for maybe a day, because I had the 6th top score, which isn't going to last. I'm pretty good, but not that good.

• Options
      Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
      edited March 2020
      Ouch. Alyx is a 48gb download :bigfrown:

edit: I guess it's not really that much. I guess I'm just used to nearly all of my VR stuff being indie efforts with sub-1gb sizes.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    • Options
      I’m close to the end of Boneworks, and while I do wish they’d had better writers and level designers, I have to say there’s a weird appeal in their bonkers, six-year-old-on-a-sugar-rush level progression. Towards the end it does some very strange things, and while they’re pretty nonsensical and the level design itself is pretty monotonous, there are a couple of surprises in there.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    • Options
      lol I just spent 20 minutes talking to the receptionist at patient first about VR games. It's so great to see people excited about this technology - really glad stuff like the Quest has made it more accessible.