As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

1787980818284»

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    The headset has pass-through right? At least my Quest 2 does. That makes putting on the controllers much easier.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I played PCVR for one of the first times tonight in ages. In fact my Oculus Software told me it had been three years since I played Robo Recall.

I was blown away as much today as I was when I first put on my Oculus Rift. I need to get back to my HUGE PCVR backlog. There's so much awesome stuff sat there waiting for me to play.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    There's a Steam demo out for Escape Simulator VR (the VR version of a non-VR game that's been out for a while). I've not played it yet, but I've heard good things about it - and the final version should allow for VR/non-VR crossplay, which is pretty damn cool. Also, they've already released a bunch of additional DLC escape rooms, so once this comes out there'll be a far amount of content for those who enjoy the game.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 13
    I had some weird trouble setting up the VR. I think it required USB 3.0 and I was plugging it into a lesser USB port.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    For those here who like VR escape rooms: having played through the Escape Simulator VR demo, I'd say it's fun and has potential, but it's also still relatively janky, especially in coop. There's also a demo out for Rooms of Realities, a VR-only escape room (if I'm not mistaken), and that one seems more polished, though I've not yet tried it in coop.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So I recently played this new game, y'all have probably never heard of it, called, uh ... something like Rhythm Sword.

It was pretty awesome, y'all might want to look into it.
    Finally made some changes to let me set up my touch controllers and use them standing up. Still need to tweak my office setup for real stand-up and move-around ability, but, like, wow. Holy shit that was fun. My kids like it, too!

But yeah, Beat Saber is good times.

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    For those here who like VR escape rooms: having played through the Escape Simulator VR demo, I'd say it's fun and has potential, but it's also still relatively janky, especially in coop. There's also a demo out for Rooms of Realities, a VR-only escape room (if I'm not mistaken), and that one seems more polished, though I've not yet tried it in coop.

It's brilliant in coop, I played with my daughter and we had a blast on the demo.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    So I recently played this new game, y'all have probably never heard of it, called, uh ... something like Rhythm Sword.

Finally made some changes to let me set up my touch controllers and use them standing up. Still need to tweak my office setup for real stand-up and move-around ability, but, like, wow. Holy shit that was fun. My kids like it, too!

It's amazing that it's been out for so long and nothing has quite captured that energy since. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a beat saber 2.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

It's amazing that it's been out for so long and nothing has quite captured that energy since. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a beat saber 2.

Probably because beat saber sells close to 1:1 with any headset purchase, so there isn't much need to make another for them.

Also I am not entirely sure how to improve on the formula.

It's kind of like how Rock Band just kept their last version out for years and years and just kept releasing new music for it and running a tidy little business off of the install base.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Beat Saber actually did crib Synth Rider's lines for some of their official songs and it's a thing of beauty.

https://youtu.be/HGQyfsO7D_I

Need to keep your blade on that line, leads to some fun arm movements

• Options
    I've been playing the Beat Saber campaign lately, and I quite like how it throws different challenges at you - but I just got to level 11 and I suspect that's where I'll nope out of the campaign. There are challenges that are hard but fun, and then there's the requirement to windmill your arms all the time. If they'd at least picked a somewhat easier song to accompany this particular challenge...

I've also been playing Moss: Book II lately, and while I'd say the game is good but not great, I love the neat little touches in the animations. A couple of nights ago I managed to get the mouse protagonist (who the player is assisting rather than playing as) killed several times in a row. Each time the game fades to black, fades back in again and the mouse walks in - and this time it looked at me and gave me the most sarcastic slow clap ever. I love it when VR does this: having a character establish a connection by looking you straight in the eye. It feels so much more real than if a non-VR game tries the same thing.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Karoz wrote: »
    Beat Saber actually did crib Synth Rider's lines for some of their official songs and it's a thing of beauty.

FWIW you don't need to keep your arms on the line, they're just guides, you don't get any points.

They do help though!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    No not your arms (tried that once and some go waaaaay too far to do that) but the blade itself has to keep contact with the line.

While it doesn't mean you need your arm to stay with it, the further reaches do tend to require it.

Breaking the line does break your combo IIRC but I would have to try again.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

The Lindsey Sterling song with that is ridiculously fun.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I noticed UNDERDOGS got a lot of rave reviews, so I bought it and stuck a referral code on the list in the OP for 25% off for anyone interested.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Has anyone here played Genotype? I think it's been out for a while for Quest, and it just came out on Steam as well. From what I've heard, it's the closest yet to a VR Metroid - but obviously there's a big difference between good 3D Metroid-likes and bad ones, which is why I'm hoping to hear some impressions from people before jumping in.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 23
    Has anyone here played Genotype? I think it's been out for a while for Quest, and it just came out on Steam as well. From what I've heard, it's the closest yet to a VR Metroid - but obviously there's a big difference between good 3D Metroid-likes and bad ones, which is why I'm hoping to hear some impressions from people before jumping in.

I've heard good things and saw good reviews, so I bought it, but I haven't played it yet. If you are interested here is a referral for it from the list in the OP.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I watched a video review of Genotype yesterday which said that the game starts really well but the game design isn't good enough to keep up the quality. However, they were especially critical of the combat, and there's since been a big combat update. Mind you, they also pointed out the environmental design as being mediocre to bad past the beginning, so who knows... Seeing how I've got a bunch of VR games I've never even touched, I might wait a bit before getting Genotype, though thank you for mentioning the referral!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I'm getting close to the Lone Echo 2 endgame, but there are a bunch of side missions I've not completed. Has anyone here played them, and would you say it's worth doing them? Or is it mainly busywork for little reward?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Is there any new hardware on the horizon? I haven't really been paying attention.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 18
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Is there any new hardware on the horizon? I haven't really been paying attention.

Yes and no. Sort of. Kinda?
    • Sony is experimenting with making PSVR2 work on PC, at which point it will be one of the best deals on the market.
    • Lynx R-1 was the headset I backed on kickstarter *forever* ago, but due to manufacturing shortages during the pandemic, larger companies muscled them out of the queue so far that they're not even out yet. When they finally deliver, I expect it'll be a bit too far behind to recommend.
    • Somnium is working on a pretty nice headset, but they're very entangled in crypto communities, so it's 50/50 going to be a scam.
    • The Varjo Aero is phasing out, so some people are expecting a successor. I haven't heard of anything official yet.
    • Steam datamining indicates they're working on a new headset, but it's been that way for months, with no official announcements from them either.

Edit:
    I forgot one, the DPVR E4 kinda snuck by us late last year, because it's a budget option PC-only headset. Reviews seem positive with caveats. It has a lower price, good resolution and refresh rate, good integration with Steam VR, but sub-par audio, modest color reproduction, and fresnel lenses.

Supposedly, they're about to release an updated E4 with improvements across the board, and in April, they'll announce some whole other thing. According to MRTV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOmGOXn9IqI

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    RespondPleaseRespondPlease Registered User regular
    edited March 20
    I Expect You To Die 3 came out nowhere for me and I finished it without unlocking barely anything optional it seems. I highly recommend that series to anyone looking for a sitdown and puzzle game.

RespondPlease on
  • Options
    How does it compare to the first two games? More of the same (which wouldn't be bad), or does it do some things different?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    RespondPleaseRespondPlease Registered User regular
    More of the same, really. They do add in a bit more complex environments (you can lose needed items if you toss them out of your moving car for instance) and I don't recall the other games having a mountain of optional stuff like this, but maybe they just didn't have the obvious places for them in base like this one does.

• Options
    No one's posted anything about Flat2VR creating a studio that will make licensed VR ports, right? Considering the mods that have come out of this scene, this could be really big, since it'd come with official support from the developers that first created those games.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I'm getting close to the Lone Echo 2 endgame, but there are a bunch of side missions I've not completed. Has anyone here played them, and would you say it's worth doing them? Or is it mainly busywork for little reward?

Busy work mostly.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The Escape Simulator VR mode is out now. I played the demo 1-2 months ago, and at the time the implementation was somewhat janky, but the game's fun - and it can be played in crossplay with non-VR players. No idea if they've polished the VR mode somewhat and what their plans are for the future, but if you have some tolerance for VR jank and want some escape room fun with others, whether they're in VR or not, you could do worse than this. (There's also Rooms of Realities, which is VR-only and IMO implemented really well, but there's no playing with others who aren't in VR.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg