As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Adam Savage's Tested / Projections with Norm reviewed the Reverb G2. TLDR: amazing HMD, subpar controller tracking, subpar controller battery life - but Norm points out that you can use the Valve Knuckles controllers with Index-compatible lighthouses if you want, and that's not an issue for games like Elite Dangerous and Star Wars Squadrons where you're not using the G2 controllers.

"Even going from a headset like the Valve Index to the Reverb G2, it's really difficult to go back - even given the tracking inadequacies and controller frustrations."

Here's hoping we get the option to just buy the headset, I'd be thrilled to pick that up even if I have to manually pair it with the Knuckles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__nfD58GF6Q

That's a bummer about the controllers. I'm going to hold off for now, but I'm hoping this is something that can be improved through software. I certainly wouldn't mind a headset upgrade at this point.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    This is really reminding me of the old console days, when there were major different perks to a given device.

Would love to see HP's visual quality with Valve's everything else.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    This is really reminding me of the old console days, when there were major different perks to a given device.

I'd just like to see an Index v2 with higher resolution. Reading some of the reviews for the Pimax 8k stuff, they mention that gauges in flight simulator became clear enough to read without issue. I wouldn't expect Valve to jump that much, but it would be nice to see something like the Reverb or slightly higher.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »

I'd just like to see an Index v2 with higher resolution. Reading some of the reviews for the Pimax 8k stuff, they mention that gauges in flight simulator became clear enough to read without issue. I wouldn't expect Valve to jump that much, but it would be nice to see something like the Reverb or slightly higher.

I was hoping they'd come out with one this year so I could grab one to get through the plague, but there's obviously no chance for that so I'm just sucking it up for now to get through next year's isolation. Just 5 more weeks...

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I'm just hoping they come out with the Index.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    So apparently there's quite a few music games in VR beyond beatsaber. Anyone have any experience with them?
    Which is the best VR music rythm game excluding beatsaber? Audica and Synth Riders look like they might be good contenders.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Pistol Whip is unique as well

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, pistol whip is my choice. I didn't like synth riders

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Thumper?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Index order jumped down to two weeks! Which means I will have the headset long before I can get a PC built for it. Going to just be staring at that box for some weeks.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    You all are making me glad the Rift S is my first VR device and all I know.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    So apparently there's quite a few music games in VR beyond beatsaber. Anyone have any experience with them?
    Which is the best VR music rythm game excluding beatsaber? Audica and Synth Riders look like they might be good contenders.

Haven't played Synth Riders yet, but Audica is pretty fun. It's *very* different from Beat Saber though. It reminds me most of a VR Elite Beat Agents (minus the plot)

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Audioshield is quite simple but pretty neat, not least because it allows you to use your entire music collection to create levels. They're not as great as the best hand-crafted levels of Beat Saber, but with the right music they make for a nice rhythm-based workout. Though Audioshield is definitely a game where I wished for a wider FOV.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Audioshield is quite simple but pretty neat, not least because it allows you to use your entire music collection to create levels. They're not as great as the best hand-crafted levels of Beat Saber, but with the right music they make for a nice rhythm-based workout. Though Audioshield is definitely a game where I wished for a wider FOV.

Audio shield is neat, and you can even make it run YouTube videos in-game and dynamically create levels. It's very much the audio surf of VR, both pro and con.

But I have booted up Beat Saber maybe ten times as much

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I just learned that I had been wearing my Vive Cosmos wrong. I happened to look at the guide for how to put on the headset and apparently I was supposed to have the back of the headband further down than I had it. It feels a lot less front heavy when wearing it properly. However, I get a clearer image if I press the headset into my face, especially towards the edges of the image, but I seem unable to get it to stay that tightly on my face.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    I just learned that I had been wearing my Vive Cosmos wrong. I happened to look at the guide for how to put on the headset and apparently I was supposed to have the back of the headband further down than I had it. It feels a lot less front heavy when wearing it properly. However, I get a clearer image if I press the headset into my face, especially towards the edges of the image, but I seem unable to get it to stay that tightly on my face.

I got the deluxe audio strap for my standard Vive, and it holds the sweet spot if I tighten the dial enough. But I don't actually like holding it that tight to my face.

What's nice about dial straps is that I can get it 90% of the way there and only adjust it once in a while

• Options
    Anyone here who got Paper Beast on Steam and found that it was almost unplayable (on an Oculus Rift S, in my case), try running it without starting up SteamVR. This launches it in Oculus native mode, and the difference is massive. It's also well worth persisting: while the game was barely playable, I didn't see the appeal at all, but now that it's running smoothly, it's a wonderful experience and the kind of thing VR does brilliantly.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Thumper?

I found I need a higher refresh rate and/or resolution to play Thumper well. The same goes for Tetris Effect. VR is a cool effect for them, but I'm too busy playing the game to the point the VR becomes a nuisance and hindrance to my performance.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'll be dammed, Occulus actually did have a decent sale for once. Anyone have any opinions between Stormlands, Lost Echo, and Vader?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'll be dammed, Occulus actually did have a decent sale for once. Anyone have any opinions between Stormlands, Lost Echo, and Vader?

I haven't played Stormlands, but between Lost Echo and Vader my choice is Lost Echo by a mile. I thought Vader Part 1 was a real low-effort title and refunded it; in my opinion it's not worth playing for free. Maybe it got better in the later installments, but nothing's motivated me to investigate.

EDIT: The name is Lone Echo, isn't it?

Orogogus on
  • Options
    I'd mostly agree with Orogogus. I thought that the Vader games were okay if you're really into Star Wars, but they're not particularly good games, and even as rides they're rather mediocre. If the thought of standing opposite Darth Vader in VR sends shivers up your spine, check 'em out, but I found them so underwhelming, I stopped after the second one and never found much motivation to play the third chapter.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Tried out a few games and here's some reviews

Townsmen VR is a Black and White in VR proof of concept. It only has the tutorial to teach you the things and so caps in under an hour but I could see coming back to this as it progresses through early access--if it ever does.

Skyworld is a hybrid turn taking board game with resource management and real time combat. You'll be juggling various resources and assigning workers as you take on the demon opponents looking to conquer the Skyworlds in turn movement and management of the overworld. Should your general meet or you assault the castle, the game switches to a moba like game where you use your regenerating mana to place units to charge forward and assault the towers/general/castle of the opponent or hurl spells. It's a little finicky but the campaign seems solid after playing the start so I'll probably keep playing this.

Pistol Whip is a game I originally didn't enjoy due to the difficulty on normal. You have 1 armor that can regenerate by shooting X number of foes or pistol whiping one foe but if you die you start over. Well, I turn on Can't Fail on Beat Saber for a reason since it just takes me out of the enjoyment. But putting it down to Easy and getting a feel for it makes me respect Pistol Whip a lot more since it involves your whole body a lot more in the endeavor to dodge bullets and barriers, shoot mans, and pistol whip. Got a pretty sweaty work out too so definitely recommended it you're tired of just working out basically your arms in Beat Saber.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    My biggest issue with Beatsaber is how you can't just plop your own music into it. Audioshield sounds worth checking out, so let's chance $7.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    My biggest issue with Beatsaber is how you can't just plop your own music into it. Audioshield sounds worth checking out, so let's chance $7.

https://beatsage.com/

• Options
    Handy, but think I'll keep Audioshield anyway since it's less work. Will give beatsage a go, though. Think I have Beatsaber setup already for it.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Finally got my VR space back!
    Also added a new tv in back for observers. Trying some of the new stuff - not sure I "get" what you're supposed to do in pistol whip

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Also added a new tv in back for observers. Trying some of the new stuff - not sure I "get" what you're supposed to do in pistol whip

I need to replay the tutorial for max points but it's dodging bullets and shooting back on the beat, pistol whiping guys that are standing in your way if you choose to.

Honestly it's best to just focus on survival at first, not caring about scores till you get a feel for it. Also have to pistol whip with the butt of the gun as I learned the hard way a few times. And yes I recommend on easy cause I was becoming rage induced on normal.
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

God I just wish this was easier as every time it breaks and I have to start over it's clear as mud what I have to do. Unfortunately long term playing of Beat Saber requires it since I just need a whole lot of variety.

May just check out Audioshield if it is easier.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

I need to replay the tutorial for max points but it's dodging bullets and shooting back on the beat, pistol whiping guys that are standing in your way if you choose to.

Honestly it's best to just focus on survival at first, not caring about scores till you get a feel for it. Also have to pistol whip with the butt of the gun as I learned the hard way a few times. And yes I recommend on easy cause I was becoming rage induced on normal.

God I just wish this was easier as every time it breaks and I have to start over it's clear as mud what I have to do. Unfortunately long term playing of Beat Saber requires it since I just need a whole lot of variety.

How much variety do you need? I have 100+ songs just from grabbing custom ones others have made of songs I liked. That wasn't hard to set up.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

How much variety do you need? I have 100+ songs just from grabbing custom ones others have made of songs I liked. That wasn't hard to set up.

Enough and that's assuming the songs don't end up being wrist breakers that aren't fun to play.

I basically need to reinstall that crap all over again and I'm tired of it.

• Options
    Tried out a few games and here's some reviews

Townsmen VR is a Black and White in VR proof of concept. It only has the tutorial to teach you the things and so caps in under an hour but I could see coming back to this as it progresses through early access--if it ever does.

I got Townsmen VR a while back, partly because my wife likes those kinds of games. It works really well, but it's awfully thin on content. There just isn't much to do! If they can figure out a campaign or more of a tech tree or *something* I could see it really being worthwhile, but I agree it's basically just a tech demo right now.

Same with Cosmic Trip. It's a tower defense game with excellent VR interaction, but there's just not enough going on. It's better since they added stuff around 2019, but it seems better suited to a VR arcade than a home purchase. Which is a shame, because I really like both of these games generally!

• Options
    kime wrote: »

Enough and that's assuming the songs don't end up being wrist breakers that aren't fun to play.

I basically need to reinstall that crap all over again and I'm tired of it.

It's gotten REALLY easy. If you install the mod manager thing and enable "1 click add", you can just go to Beastsaber and click, it'll install everything for you. Hardest part is filtering out all the Anime songs in the Beastsaber list. Also - generally anything that isn't Expert+ only is at least a decent effort.

• Options
    Tried a couple more games

GNOG is super chill and unique game but the controls can be finicky, really recommend.

Surgeon Simulator Experience Reality alas takes out the fun of the super awkward controls from the 2D version and sort of makes it easy mode. The grading is harder as a result, but getting A/S+ tier with the awkward controls is one of my most memorable experiences. Unless you really want to dig into Bob's rib cage I'd say skip.

• Options
    Tried beatsage and at least for the one song I tried I liked Audioshield's level better than Beat Saber's version. Granted Audioshield does need some polish work (that it seems it will never get), but just picking a song is aces. I'll need to look into the mod manager/1 click add for Beat Saber.

• Options
    Tried beatsage and at least for the one song I tried I liked Audioshield's level better than Beat Saber's version. Granted Audioshield does need some polish work (that it seems it will never get), but just picking a song is aces. I'll need to look into the mod manager/1 click add for Beat Saber.

https://github.com/Assistant/ModAssistant

It's in the options.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I have the Quest version Beatsaber. I got a custom song into it with bmdf 1 click manually, that worked. Then I tried 1 click and it downloaded and installed but it wouldn't start. Then it wouldn't download/install any others with 1 click. Edit: Now manually adding them is failing. sigh.

Hopefully the Audioshield guy polishes it up.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I said earlier that Pimax wasn't really messing with refresh rates much, and that was just Valve up to this point.

Welp, now Pimax can lay claim to having the zaniest specs in every category. 180 hz! I still can't run any VR game in 144 hz, so not something I'm buying soon. I would love for one of you to buy one and report back though, it sounds pretty wacky.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's pretty crazy. What can even run that though?

I don't think a 3090 can do 4k@180hz. Do you need 2 of them? I didn't think SLI was really a thing.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Lol it's even more demanding than running 180hz at 4k -- it's two separate 1440p displays. I have the same questions.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    People could choose one or the other, like they do on the PS5 Spider-Man game, couldn't they? And it's got some future-proofing for future hardware.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I guess, just by the time we have cards that can, it will be at least 2 years? This gen just came out, and usually there is the 1 year refresh and then 2nd year is next gen but we'll see.

In 2 years I figure they will have a new headset, but who knows.

I didn't realize they also had an 8k headset, that's pretty nuts. Even my Quest 2 is so much clearer than my CV1 and it's just shy of 4k.