As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Oh yeah Horror games are like 1000x worse, luckily Phasmo isn't terribly terrifying to begin with, I've definitely screamed a few times though.

I did play it coop though with someone which definitely helped.

After playing many games it's more hilarious now, and they've made the ghosts more lethal.

One that really got me was Doom 3, with the volume of jump scares I had to play in 30 minute intervals.

I did get the Doom 3 BFG VR mod set up, just cause it's free and I already had it, but I doubt I'll ever personally want to play it. Mostly just there if I wanna demo it for some reason.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Visage has a VR mode and would be very spooky.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Woo, headset finally arrived. Got everything setup, including my base stations mounted up on the walls in my room. The stuff I thought was probably gonna be an issue did end up being an issue. My eyes are just slightly too wide for the IPD, meaning everything was just slightly out of focus when positioned after shifting the headset around on my face to find the most in-focus spot I could. Also wasn't super comfortable, which I might be able to fix with more adjustments to straps and angles and whatnot, but I also kind of think that's probably just how it's gonna be because I have a large head with very prominent cheeks. Also couldn't figure out a good configuration to get the Index controllers feeling comfortable, so I'll probably need to fiddle around with those some more, too. The room scale stuff felt alright, though I think I need to figure out how best to recenter myself so I'm not running up against the wall all the time. Didn't end up feeling VR sick, which was nice, though I think it was starting to creep up on me towards the end. That said, everything I was doing was roomscale and teleportation, which are supposedly the most friendly when it comes to VR sickness type stuff. Played through The Lab, since that seemed like the obvious starting point. Lots of cool little demos throughout and lots of genuinely neat stuff to look at.

Also, might need to try playing with my glasses or getting prescription lenses at some point. My left eye started hurting a bit since that eye is a bit more nearsighted than my right eye, which I assume means it was trying to compensate and wore itself out. Also navigating some of the SteamVR home room menus were kind of finnicky? Specifically, the game menu one on the wall with the 3 panels, I have no idea how to control that properly. I was making it move up and down with that little thumbpad thing, but I wasn't able to do anything with purpose or consistency.

Supposedly there's a foam-insert mod or something for the Index that pushes the lenses apart just a little bit more. I might need to try looking into that and see if that helps.

Anyway, next up is probably that Aperture Hand Lab thing, since that seems like the next logical step. After that, I can start dinking around in some games. Probably gonna take an hour or two to recover in the meantime, though, might take a nap.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Also couldn't figure out a good configuration to get the Index controllers feeling comfortable, so I'll probably need to fiddle around with those some more, too.
    This gave me a lot of trouble until I got a feel for it. My instinct is to wrap my hands around it flush, but as a Large Hand Haver, I have to grip it pretty loosely and let the strap do its job. This means that the triggers don't sit the way I'd expect from using XBox controllers so much, but it works better the other way.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Hot dang Project Wingman is dope in VR. Lots of little squiggles with menus and text and overlays and whatnot (some of which are probably exacerbated by the headset not quite fitting right and the IPD thing), but the actual flying around and shooting planes and stuff? Still great. Was kind of surprised how smooth it felt considering it's primarily a non-VR game. Gonna try VTOL VR later to compare, though that's obviously more on the simmy side than Project Wingman, which is for all intents and purposes an Ace Combat game (which I love).

Also, been noticing some really strong god rays? At least I think that's the term based on some googling? Apparently that's also an IPD issue with the Index. Not really sure if there's anything I can do about that. I did end up ordering a 3rd party face gasket, which is apparently a bit wider, so maybe that'll help with some of the fit issues. I was surprised that there wasn't really any 3rd party face gaskets specifically marketed as wider, though, other than some sketchy looking alibaba/ebay ones that were basically just 3D printed parts that I'd have to cushion myself somehow. I saw some other hacks people have done, such as 3D printing and then manually putting together a replacement gasket, which I think is a bit beyond my DIY abilities. Someone else got a heat gun or torch or something to heat up the face gasket to bend it into a wider shape manually, which I have neither the tools nor confidence to attempt. And finally some other people have taken to cutting out notches in the gasket so it can widen more easily when pressed against the face, which doesn't seem like something I'd want to do in case I ever decide to RMA it or something.

Having a big head and wide IPD sucks :< As far as I can tell, there's literally no benefit to it, lol. Just makes everything a hassle, from hats to glasses to headphones to VR headsets.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've not done any VR for a few weeks now, due to a bout of sudden hearing loss and tinnitus, which is exacerbated by headset audio and the like. Which is a shame, because right now there are a lot of VR things I would like to play - and Project Wingman looks and sounds pretty good.

Has anyone here played the Tie Fighter Total Conversion mod for X-Wing Alliance in VR? That one definitely appeals *a lot*.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I need to get my space cleared out so I can get back to some VR, it's been a while. Just need to figure out where to put the shit that's in the way, it's rather bulky.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Tried out Skyrim VR a bit. Need to figure out how to configure it better. I downloaded that big Ultimate VR Essentials List Wabbajack collection and it mostly just made things really confusing when it comes to navigating menus and bindings and whatnot. Also, despite being VR and modded up and whatnot, it's still ultimately just Skyrim, which is kind of disappointing, I guess. Also also, the movement with all the mods ended up defaulting to joystick movement, which I don't think my stomach is ready for, lol. Definitely still prefer teleporting around.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I've said so before, but I really like Natural Locomotion with Skyrim VR. To me, it changes everything to walk by walking, even if in place.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Hot dang Project Wingman is dope in VR. Lots of little squiggles with menus and text and overlays and whatnot (some of which are probably exacerbated by the headset not quite fitting right and the IPD thing), but the actual flying around and shooting planes and stuff? Still great. Was kind of surprised how smooth it felt considering it's primarily a non-VR game. Gonna try VTOL VR later to compare, though that's obviously more on the simmy side than Project Wingman, which is for all intents and purposes an Ace Combat game (which I love).

Also, been noticing some really strong god rays? At least I think that's the term based on some googling? Apparently that's also an IPD issue with the Index. Not really sure if there's anything I can do about that. I did end up ordering a 3rd party face gasket, which is apparently a bit wider, so maybe that'll help with some of the fit issues. I was surprised that there wasn't really any 3rd party face gaskets specifically marketed as wider, though, other than some sketchy looking alibaba/ebay ones that were basically just 3D printed parts that I'd have to cushion myself somehow. I saw some other hacks people have done, such as 3D printing and then manually putting together a replacement gasket, which I think is a bit beyond my DIY abilities. Someone else got a heat gun or torch or something to heat up the face gasket to bend it into a wider shape manually, which I have neither the tools nor confidence to attempt. And finally some other people have taken to cutting out notches in the gasket so it can widen more easily when pressed against the face, which doesn't seem like something I'd want to do in case I ever decide to RMA it or something.

Having a big head and wide IPD sucks :< As far as I can tell, there's literally no benefit to it, lol. Just makes everything a hassle, from hats to glasses to headphones to VR headsets.

Could you elaborate on the IPD issues with Index? I have a sliiightly larger IPD than supported and use fpsVR to bump it up via software, but curious if I missed something about innate IPD issues with Index :\

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Zetx wrote: »

Could you elaborate on the IPD issues with Index? I have a sliiightly larger IPD than supported and use fpsVR to bump it up via software, but curious if I missed something about innate IPD issues with Index :\

Primarily I'm unable to get the headset in a position that's properly in focus, everything ends up slightly blurry and out of focus. I suspect part of the problem is actually the headset also being too small for my head, which hopefully the incoming face gasket will help fix, but I do think that most of it is my IPD being too large. The secondary issue, the god rays, I'm not entirely sure how to describe. When I turn my head, sometimes light gets caught, I think from the headset display, but also potentially leaking in from outside the headset, it like catches on the lense rings and then beams out to the outside of the lens. I don't know if I'm describing it right, I'll try and visually analyze it tonight after work.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Primarily I'm unable to get the headset in a position that's properly in focus, everything ends up slightly blurry and out of focus. I suspect part of the problem is actually the headset also being too small for my head, which hopefully the incoming face gasket will help fix, but I do think that most of it is my IPD being too large. The secondary issue, the god rays, I'm not entirely sure how to describe. When I turn my head, sometimes light gets caught, I think from the headset display, but also potentially leaking in from outside the headset, it like catches on the lense rings and then beams out to the outside of the lens. I don't know if I'm describing it right, I'll try and visually analyze it tonight after work.

Ahh, interesting. My IPD isn't too much over, only ~75ish, so I may not have what you're describing. Still, my headset can easily leave gaps where I can see reality if I look down "at my nose" as it were.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options

Ahh, interesting. My IPD isn't too much over, only ~75ish, so I may not have what you're describing. Still, my headset can easily leave gaps where I can see reality if I look down "at my nose" as it were.

I think that's pretty normal from reading around?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I was moderately excited for Sniper Elite VR, but I can't play it. Launching the game crashes my computer every time, and the second time my computer crashed it scrambled files on my computer. 😔

Blah64 on
  • Options

Ah, I figured it was a bit over considering Quest 2's max IPD was 68 and the Index was 72. Sorry!

76561197966849367.png
  • Options

Ah, I figured it was a bit over considering Quest 2's max IPD was 68 and the Index was 72. Sorry!

Oh, no 75 is a large IPD. I meant being able to see down through the nose gap. I'm at 72.5 and that puts me in like the 99th percentile. And the Index only goes to 70.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Hm, getting tracking issues specifically on my right controller. Tried reorienting the playspace and still get it, so I don't think it's because the stations are losing it. Reading around, it sounds like it might be a USB issue? Especially since I have an ASUS motherboard and they tend to skimp out on the USB stuff? Ordered a PCI-E USB 3.0 adapter, which should hopefully fix the problem. It's not bad for most games, but for games where I move around a lot and there's lots of tracking, like Beat Saber or Space Pirate Trainer, it'll just completely lose it for a second. If that doesn't end up solving it, I'll probably need to see about an RMA.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

You need to check out Vox Machinae. There’s no singleplayer, it’s all team vs team against other players or bots, but it’s essentially VR Mechwarrior.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

You need to check out Vox Machinae. There’s no singleplayer, it’s all team vs team against other players or bots, but it’s essentially VR Mechwarrior.

I've got it and it's on the docket to play. Waiting for the new face gasket and the USB PCI-E expansion card to get here before diving into any of the bigger games I've been wanting to check out, since I don't want to go into them suboptimally.

That said, I probably should've looked at the description for it more closely. Like, I'm sure I'll like it as a multiplayer thing, but I guess I thought it also had single player, so that's kind of a bummer.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    It's fun to bot stomp. It's also a flat screen game so you can play with non VR friends or keep playing if you need to charge your hardware or rest your eyes.

Just, if you're playing with randoms there's the usual thing of some players being god's at the game. I prefer with friends as we're all the same skill level but it's fun to flee in terror of a malevolent sky god from time to time.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    edited July 2021

I've got it and it's on the docket to play. Waiting for the new face gasket and the USB PCI-E expansion card to get here before diving into any of the bigger games I've been wanting to check out, since I don't want to go into them suboptimally.

That said, I probably should've looked at the description for it more closely. Like, I'm sure I'll like it as a multiplayer thing, but I guess I thought it also had single player, so that's kind of a bummer.

I played it with @Karoz and @GSM and had a great time. I set up a PA VR discord server for coordinating multiplayer stuff like Vox. It's been a while since I've been able to boot up the headset, but I'd love to schedule some group VR time. https://discord.gg/unbFgmqS

templewulf on
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Excited for Moss: Book 2 announced at Sony's State of Play thing. Really enjoyed the first one, though it had a problem of actually being too cute for it's own good - my wife started playing it but isn't the best at games like this and couldn't stand watching Quill get hurt so put it down and never picked it up again after a section where she was getting zapped from multiple directions.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    I had issues with the Vive controllers' pads but I'm very excited to get my HP Reverb2 working so I can play it with actual thumbsticks.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

On the plus side, your robot has an air horn, which(if you're using motion controls) you reach up and pull to activate.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

On the plus side, your robot has an air horn, which(if you're using motion controls) you reach up and pull to activate.

Yeah it reminds me of what they were going for with the Steel Battalion (using kinect) sequel except it, you know, works. It's such a great game. I even have fun in bot matches.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      The multiplayer communication is great. It feels awesome to grab a radio and hold it up to your mouth to chat to people. And it's cool when they do it and you see their character pop up holding their radio. And it's really cool when you all blast your horns like you're driving the War Rig out of Mad Max.

• Options
      Gvzbgul wrote: »
      The multiplayer communication is great. It feels awesome to grab a radio and hold it up to your mouth to chat to people. And it's cool when they do it and you see their character pop up holding their radio. And it's really cool when you all blast your horns like you're driving the War Rig out of Mad Max.

The first place I saw that was Orbus, but I really enjoy it every time. Seeing people developing these kinds of UI idioms is one of my favorite parts of VR.

• Options
      Woo, new face gasket arrived. Definitely fits better on my face now. On the other hand, the material is a bit less comfortable and breathable than the one that came with the headset. Also didn't really do anything to help with the blurriness, but I don't think anything will.

Stabbity_Style.png
    • Options
      Ended up trying the "foam mod" for the Index. Wedged a folded up piece of paper towel between the lenses to squeeze them an extra bit apart. Helped a bit with the blurriness. Makes it feel at least usable now, though not as good as it theoretically could be. Tried out a SteamVR environment that had like, eye test charts and whatnot and I seemed to be able to read them ok, at like a 20:40 level, which isn't bad. Could maybe be better if I got some prescription lenses for it, since I normally wear glasses.

Tried playing some Pavlov VR. Seems neat. Only did the tutorial and some offline maps. Those offline maps seem like they're balanced for multiplayer, though. Either that or I'm really bad at it. Still kinda anxious about doing stuff online, though. I imagine it'd be better with like, PAers (which I'll eventually do, I'm in the Discord and everything). I guess it feels like it's more intimate than non-VR multiplayer stuff, to an extent. Who knows, maybe I'll end up using it to practice working on my social anxiety.

Also tried Rec Room and I don't think it's for me. It felt like I was in a room with random children and it felt like it'd be super creepy or weird to talk to or do anything with them. Like some real "hello, fellow kids" vibes. Supposedly there's like an "adults who want to play with other adults" club or something you can join which makes it better? Also might try VRChat at some point, but I feel like that's going to run into the same issue.

Stabbity_Style.png
    • Options
      ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
      Ended up trying the "foam mod" for the Index. Wedged a folded up piece of paper towel between the lenses to squeeze them an extra bit apart. Helped a bit with the blurriness. Makes it feel at least usable now, though not as good as it theoretically could be. Tried out a SteamVR environment that had like, eye test charts and whatnot and I seemed to be able to read them ok, at like a 20:40 level, which isn't bad. Could maybe be better if I got some prescription lenses for it, since I normally wear glasses.

Tried playing some Pavlov VR. Seems neat. Only did the tutorial and some offline maps. Those offline maps seem like they're balanced for multiplayer, though. Either that or I'm really bad at it. Still kinda anxious about doing stuff online, though. I imagine it'd be better with like, PAers (which I'll eventually do, I'm in the Discord and everything). I guess it feels like it's more intimate than non-VR multiplayer stuff, to an extent. Who knows, maybe I'll end up using it to practice working on my social anxiety.

Also tried Rec Room and I don't think it's for me. It felt like I was in a room with random children and it felt like it'd be super creepy or weird to talk to or do anything with them. Like some real "hello, fellow kids" vibes. Supposedly there's like an "adults who want to play with other adults" club or something you can join which makes it better? Also might try VRChat at some point, but I feel like that's going to run into the same issue.

yeah Rec Room is super popular with kids, IMO largely because it's free. I play it without talking and it's fine. My son plays a lot of VRChat and it does seem to be heavily populated with kids as well, with the obvious issue that 'not talking' doesn't work as well there.

• Options
      Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
      In my experience, VRChat does not experience the same level of kids.
      Sure, kids still exist on the platform, but I mostly see adults (or teens that I can't tell aren't adults)

• Options

Ha! I had a similar experience with rec room. Since you can see real life height differences, some kid said "wow! You're so tall!" as I was just passing by. I had to just awkwardly "haha, yup, gotta go"

The real trick to Rec Room is playing it with a crew and not interacting with the public rooms at all. You can easily access all the quests and modes and creative tools from your watch UI without ever using the Rec Center.

• Options
      CampyCampy Registered User regular
      templewulf wrote: »

Ha! I had a similar experience with rec room. Since you can see real life height differences, some kid said "wow! You're so tall!" as I was just passing by. I had to just awkwardly "haha, yup, gotta go"

The real trick to Rec Room is playing it with a crew and not interacting with the public rooms at all. You can easily access all the quests and modes and creative tools from your watch UI without ever using the Rec Center.

I went in once with a friend and ended up playing some dodgeball with some random kid. I would guess maybe 10 years old? It was fine, but definitely felt very odd to be handing around with a child...

I suppose it happens a lot in games, but there's something about the pseudo-physical representation of someone in VR that makes it so much more personal.

Also, that 10 year old whipped our butts single-handedly...

• Options
      New graphics card! I can finally use my ReverbG2! First impressions... not mindblowing? It works, it's nice. I love the away from ears speakers. I love the flashlight. But so far as quality of visuals, it isn't a revelation. But...

I am scared to go back to my Vive. My bet is that, like playing an old game you thought had amazing graphics back in the day, going back will show up the improvements since. Thinking about it, on the Reverb, there was no moment I couldn't read. I will definitely need to check out my Vive to compare.

• Options
      McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
      Apparently there is a demo for Fracked out on the PS Store now, half an hour of gameplay or so - will check it out when I get home for sure.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
      PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    • Options
      Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
      Has anyone tried or own an AR device? Seems like there are a few new models coming out here in the next couple years. They advertise movie watching and multiple monitors but I'm curious how well they work in reality? Every video I've seen the colors look washed/faded and sort of blurry.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    • Options
      Ooh, first negative on the ReverbG2. Tracking issues when I moved it to a larger room. Apparently it needs stuff around it to keep track of positioning. And if i bend down to look at the floor it really doesn't like that and will start thinking I'm moving. Still very usable, not that noticeable while in game, but when you're doing something stationary like going through menus the small amount of motion from bad tracking stands out.

• Options
      XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
      Sometime in the last week or so it seems the Quest 2 finally updated it's whitelist to recognize newer GPU's. Or at least the 3060. Took long enough.

• Options
      XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
      edited July 2021
      Now, of course, Half-Life: Alyx says I have low GPU memory every time for some reason, though it runs fine.

Related: Fuck Jeff. Doesn't even obey the rules at points! Update on Jeff:
      I almost didn't push/notice the trash compactor button, but sweet revenge was mine finally.

Xeddicus on
    • Options
      SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
      So it sounds like they're "recalling" all the old quest 2s, to replace the dumb foam facial interface. Now you can fill out a form on their site to get them to send you a replacement one (previously you had to do a whole back and forth with their support)

steam_sig.png