As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Peace For Sale

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    CNN has areal photos of the damage from the attacks. Looks like mostly runway damage well away from most buildings. One or two hits on structures.

Again, it's like they did everything they could to minimize damage and give a token response!

... Is anyone actually tuning into Trump's statement? I cannot look at that man right now.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I am, he hasn't come out yet. We're only 8 minutes late so it will probably be a bit still. He's always 10-15 late at least.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Are there any real reports on casualties yet?

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

None so far. Iran warned Iraq, who warned the US, so everyone had time to prepare and hunker down.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options

Only thing being reported is no Iraqi casualties (confirmed by Iraq), and unofficial no US casualties that haven't been given any attribution beyond "sources say."

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    mRahmani wrote: »
    ME meaning middle East makes a lot of sense

That was my initial guess, but then I had the thought SA was referring to South Africa for some reason

Sorry

I'm not doing well, and I know that's shitty to say given my situation and location

Having trouble doing much

Pretty sure SA stood for Saudi Arabia in this context, but the acronyms do get confusing.

'KSA' seems like the ideal abbreviation, distinct and Google will immediately tell you the K stands for 'Kingdom' if you couldn't infer from context.

Thus concludes the KSA edition of my TLA PSA series.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    chokemchokem Registered User regular
    Never heard of Soleimani before he got blown to pieces, but ultimately it’s a good thing he is gone?

• Options

None so far. Iran warned Iraq, who warned the US, so everyone had time to prepare and hunker down.

Only thing being reported is no Iraqi casualties (confirmed by Iraq), and unofficial no US casualties that haven't been given any attribution beyond "sources say."

Assuming that holds, then what are we even doing? No one died. Who cares about the fucking runway?

Iran obviously calculated this to an absolute minimum response.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    chokem wrote: »
    Never heard of Soleimani before he got blown to pieces, but ultimately it’s a good thing he is gone?

I wouldn't call an extralegal murder that has put us on the brink of a potentially multinational war a "good thing".

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I am, he hasn't come out yet. We're only 8 minutes late so it will probably be a bit still. He's always 10-15 late at least.

~20 minutes now.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Regardless it’s definitely the opposite of a good thing that he was assassinated by the US while in Iraq for seemingly good faith negotiations requested by the US

Also other people were killed by that drone, too

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Iran will restart its nuke program. Already has.

My money would be on the following;

The US and Israel will likely launch cyber attacks to try to delay the program, with varying degrees of success

At the stage in which Israel gets intel that Iran is about to go nuclear, they may step up to kinetic attacks. This will likely be a significant flashpoint and potentially a source of an air war between Iran and Israel, which the US will back, I think. Air strikes on Iranian military facilities will then occur.

The question then is whether Iran capitulates in some way or attempts to close the Gulf.

The last time I read any analysis of Israel hitting Iran and between the distance, suppression of air defenses, and the number of hardened targets that would need to be hit multiple times, it would require basically their entire air force and even then it wouldn't be an easy job. There's a reason that the Israeli government has been pushing for a lets you and him fight between the USA and Iran.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular

IMHO yes.

Depending on the validity of the assertion he was in the process of orchestrating an immediate attack it may have even been legal.

However it still may have been a terrible idea that almost (and still could) make a decades long proxy war go full-on hot.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Assuming that holds, then what are we even doing? No one died. Who cares about the fucking runway?

We are waiting to see if the Toddler in Chief can manage to go one day without cocking everything up.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

Fox and Friends repeated this point about 12 times this morning, apparently. "We won because none of our guys died and their did, no need for more war!" Repeat repeat repeat.

So even the Fox engine is anti war right now.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Yall wrote: »

IMHO yes.

Depending on the validity of the assertion he was in the process of orchestrating an immediate attack it may have even been legal.

However it still may have been a terrible idea that almost (and still could) make a decades long proxy war go full-on hot.

There has been positively no evidence produced that Soleimani was in the process of planning these attacks. This is pure fiction fed to the media by the White House.

• Options
    Ok someone just dropped off the speech notes. We're probably getting started soon.

• Options

Fox and Friends repeated this point about 12 times this morning, apparently. "We won because none of our guys died and their did, no need for more war!" Repeat repeat repeat.

So even the Fox engine is anti war right now.

I mean we lost because Iran is restarting their nuclear program fully, we're getting kicked out of Iraq, and the gloves are likely off in the region, but yeah, sure in the context of the last ... three days I guess it's a win

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Unless revenge is virtuous for its own sake, no, it really doesn't matter.

He wasn't uniquely talented or connected. His successor has been a deputy for a decade and will have no problem taking charge, likely continuing the same sort of operations based on the same information gathering capacity with the same operational effectiveness, advancing the same national causes.

Tumin on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    This WH said it. It's a lie until confirmed otherwise

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular

~20 minutes now.

He probably thinks waiting 25 minutes is a power move, but it just makes the whole administration look like they're rushed and working on the speech at the last minute in a panicked fashion.

• Options
    Bunch of military brass and Pence are here now.

• Options
    chokemchokem Registered User regular

IMHO yes.

There has been positively no evidence produced that Soleimani was in the process of planning these attacks. This is pure fiction fed to the media by the White House.

Just doesn’t seem like a big deal though. The guy was a killer and he’s dead. Who is going to defend that? If we don’t erupt immediately into war, this will be quickly forgotten.

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    Now he's making what appear to be the freaking joint chiefs and Pence wait for him to come out. This isn't prime time TV, Mr. President.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Tumin wrote: »

Unless revenge is virtuous for its own sake, no, it really doesn't matter.

He wasn't uniquely talented or connected. His successor has been a deputy for a decade and will have no problem taking charge, likely continuing the same sort of operations based on the same information gathering capacity with the same operational effectiveness, advancing the same national causes.

Yeah if the lead general was making plans for an attack against a country, those don't just evaporate if he dies. If anything, it makes the people around him even more confident that those plans need to happen.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Trump has arrived. Speech beginning.

Swearing that Iran will never have a nuclear weapon.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

IMHO yes.

Just doesn’t seem like a big deal though. The guy was a killer and he’s dead. Who is going to defend that? If we don’t erupt immediately into war, this will be quickly forgotten.

A bit "if" there.

And to the Iranians he was apparently a big war hero. They aren't going to forget this any time soon.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

IMHO yes.

Do you know how many American generals are killers

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Now he's making what appear to be the freaking joint chiefs and Pence wait for him to come out. This isn't prime time TV, Mr. President.

To him, it feels like a power move. Make 'em wait. To us, it feels like he's probably in the back there hyperventilating with panic.

• Options
    Trump:
    No Americans were harmed last night. No casualties. Minimal damage to our bases.
    Iran appears to be standing down, which is good for us and the world.
    Salutes US soldiers and such.

• Options
    Trump:
    Iran is leading sponsor of terrorism, threatens civilized world.
    Calls Soleimani the world's top terrorist. Credits it as being the best thing to happen since 1979.
    Credits Soleimani as personally responsible for attacks on US personnel, planting road bombs, etc. Claims he is behind the recent raid on the US embassy.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Trump seems to be staying on script thus far.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    This doesn't sound like we're about to dive headfirst into war, but he also opened with "Iran will never have nuclear weapons" before he even said good morning.

"We have sent a powerful message to terrorists. If you value your own life, you will not threaten the lives of our people."

Does...does he not realize that a lot of terrorists don't value their own lives?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    This seems like Trump was forced into this. This is Trump standing down and not escalating, which completely goes against his first instincts. I wonder if the executive staff (like the VP, etc.) said something

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular

IMHO yes.

So you don't consider the assassination of a foreign government official, one that was likely in Iraq for purely diplomatic purposes, to be a big deal?

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    This seems like Trump was forced into this. This is Trump standing down and not escalating, which completely goes against his first instincts. I wonder if the executive staff (like the VP, etc.) said something

25th amendment

• Options
    Tump:
    US is evaluating options, placing powerful sanctions immediately.
    Calls the nuclear deal foolish, harps on those old talking points.
    Claims that Iran's terror actions in Yemen and Syria was funded from the deal, and claims the missiles fired were made possible by the funds from the nuclear deal from Obama's adminsitration.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Huh, that's sure a thing. Apparently it's Obama's fault that Iran shot those missiles. God, Trump is just the worst.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

IMHO yes.

You might want to question how much of the info on Soleimani is propaganda...like everything Trump is saying about him now is exaggerated to the max as Trump is trying to make this his Bin Laden moment (again)

This discussion has been closed.