As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Peace For Sale

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    This seems like Trump was forced into this. This is Trump standing down and not escalating, which completely goes against his first instincts. I wonder if the executive staff (like the VP, etc.) said something

25th amendment

Are there even enough cabinet members to invoke the 25th right now?

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    It sounds like Trump is going to back down so far.

He’s also trying to spin Soleimani’s death into another attempt at his “Bin Laden” moment.

Some shade at Obama for JPCOA.

He’s been unexpectedly restrained. So far.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Trump calling on NATO to become more involved.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Trump wants a deal with Iran that makes the world safer and more peaceful, removes sanctions, and prevents them from developing nuclear weapons.

And we also need everyone to scrap the terrible Iran Nuclear Deal that was such a bad deal.

And he wants NATO to get more involved in the Middle East rofl this guy

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Trump suuuuuucks at reading from a teleprompter.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Trump:
    Time has come for all security council members to call Iran a bad actor, and make a deal that allows for Iran to prosper but only under everyone's watch, etc etc.
    Fumbled on the word Tolerated "TOLERAAA TOLERAATEEE"
    States the US has achieved strategic energy independence.
    We don't need middle eastern oil.
    US military totally rebuilt under Trump, stronger than ever before. Talks sexy talk about our new hypersonic missiles coming around soon.
    The fact we have these means we dont have to use it. Our strength is in deterrance.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Trump suuuuuucks at reading from a teleprompter.

Trump can read???

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    He seems to be veering off script now, stumbling over his words and correcting himself by rambling.

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    Gen. Milley needs to work on his poker face. Gen. McConville is a statue in comparison.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    chokem wrote: »
    Yall wrote: »
    Never heard of Soleimani before he got blown to pieces, but ultimately it’s a good thing he is gone?

IMHO yes.

Depending on the validity of the assertion he was in the process of orchestrating an immediate attack it may have even been legal.

However it still may have been a terrible idea that almost (and still could) make a decades long proxy war go full-on hot.

There has been positively no evidence produced that Soleimani was in the process of planning these attacks. This is pure fiction fed to the media by the White House.

Just doesn’t seem like a big deal though. The guy was a killer and he’s dead. Who is going to defend that? If we don’t erupt immediately into war, this will be quickly forgotten.

There's thousands of killers just like Soleimani roaming the Halls of the CIA and the Pentagon and I personally and our country definitely would take exception if the French invited them to unofficial peace talks in Switzerland and then blew them to hell once their Swiss envoy had picked them up.

Because even in this amoral world of politics there have to be rules if the people being ground under heel are ever to catch a break. The murderers get to walk free so that their wars can sometimes come to an end.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    This seems like Trump was forced into this. This is Trump standing down and not escalating, which completely goes against his first instincts. I wonder if the executive staff (like the VP, etc.) said something

I'd bet McConnell etc as they know they won't have congressional approval for the war and it may kick some r senators to vote against him.

• Options
    Now he’s dick waving, talking about the economy and our “big missiles”.

Brought up Baghdadi again, still begging for his Bin Laden moment.

Saying the US and Iran should work together to defeat ISIS.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Trump:
    Talking about ISIS and the defeat of ISIS.
    The destruction of ISIS was good for Iran, we should work together with Iran to keep them on the ropes.
    To people of Iran: we want you to have a great future, peace and harmony.
    US embraces peace.
    Thanks and god bless.

• Options
    chokemchokem Registered User regular
    No war. It’s over.

• Options
    And it’s over, very brief.

Looks like no war.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Speech over, pretty much total walkback of the last week. He seemed tired and weak and unhappy.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

I'd bet McConnell etc as they know they won't have congressional approval for the war and it may kick some r senators to vote against him.

Must've been something like this. It doesn't make sense otherwise what with the various heads of executive leaving last night and no late-night from the oval office thing

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but the US embassy wasn't attacked was it? It was a protest that turned about as rowdy as a major US city after they win a big game.

Also a plane in Iran crashed last night and seemed to explode....I haven't seen any news saying if it was an accident or not...did we blow up a plane? I know that seems like a stretch.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    Speech over, pretty much total walkback of the last week. He seemed tired and weak and unhappy.

Good on all points

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Cue tweets undoing all of that in 3...2...

• Options
    But actually, very good news.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but the US embassy wasn't attacked was it? It was a protest that turned about as rowdy as a major US city after they win a big game.

Also a plane in Iran crashed last night and seemed to explode....I haven't seen any news saying if it was an accident or not...did we blow up a plane? I know that seems like a stretch.

It was a Ukrainian plane and appears completely unrelated, albeit far more tragic than any of this foolishness

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    How hoarse was he?

Was he listless when reading the script?

• Options

Given that the folks on the plane included 60 canadians and another 30 or so europeans, it seems unlikely we were involved.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It sounds like Trump is going to back down so far.

He’s also trying to spin Soleimani’s death into another attempt at his “Bin Laden” moment.

Some shade at Obama for JPCOA.

He’s been unexpectedly restrained. So far.

He can never appear to have lost an exchange of any kind. This is one way of pursuing that, and it’s certainly preferable to war.

Fox News coverage will likely determine our next action, depending on how the base feels about this. There is a great deal of bloodlust, but also a desire to proclaim yourself a winner and walk away before anybody tells you otherwise.

• Options
    notyanotya Registered User regular
    Now we just need iran to not do anything else for a year...

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Gee I wonder if it would have been useful to have an ally who's famous for personally leading troops in the fight against ISIS in his homeland? Someone who's considered a war hero in their country and elsewhere and commands a lot of respect. What's that? We did? And some other people? Well shit.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    So now we hope Iran stays quiet until Trump gets distracted by something else, right?

• Options
    chokemchokem Registered User regular
    So basically to summarize this news cycle: a bad man got killed off and some people got angry but we decided to not make a big deal about it.

See you next time!

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Never heard of Soleimani before he got blown to pieces, but ultimately it’s a good thing he is gone?

IMHO yes.

Depending on the validity of the assertion he was in the process of orchestrating an immediate attack it may have even been legal.

However it still may have been a terrible idea that almost (and still could) make a decades long proxy war go full-on hot.

please imagine if one of our four/five star generals was assassinated while in a different country and the nation responsible publicly said "we did it, because of all the civilians you killed" (which would be accurate, we've killed thousands of civilians in the region)

This country would go apeshit, we would be declaring war on that country within minutes of congress getting into the room.

You simply cannot do this shit, it is insane. They're a sovereign country, and it absolutely does not matter that he was a bad person. We're in the middle of fighting proxy wars with their interests, and the point of that is so you do not have an actual war between nation states.

Iran may back down for now, they may go fully apeshit, they may wait and then plan several devastating attacks. There's no way to know, and that's why what the US did is not only completely indefensible, morally, it's also incredibly irresponsible and stupid, politically/tactically. It's exactly the reason you don't want Trump leading your military efforts. He has no long term vision, and he only thinks like a bully. He's a stupid bully who thinks if he makes a show of power, that makes him strong and unapproachable.

It's like how his reaction to Iraq is so laughable. Obviously they're incredibly pissed and want the US military out of there. And his response is to tell a sovereign nation, a country, publicly, that they don't have a choice about US troops within their borders. It's just...he's so bad at this.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    How hoarse was he?

He sounded like I do after a hangover. A bit deeper than usual, but not hoarse. Very low energy though. Only slurred once on "Tolerated," stayed on script except when talking about our hypersonic missiles, which got some looks from the joint chiefs.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

IMHO yes.

There has been positively no evidence produced that Soleimani was in the process of planning these attacks. This is pure fiction fed to the media by the White House.

Just doesn’t seem like a big deal though. The guy was a killer and he’s dead. Who is going to defend that? If we don’t erupt immediately into war, this will be quickly forgotten.

No one is defending the fact that this guy was a bastard who deserved death, and the *only* people saying otherwise are Republicans trying to distract from the actual discussion that they're totally cool with war crimes and violating basic diplomatic tenets, so they can clutch their pearls and fall on their fainting couches bleating "Democrats love terrorists more than America!". The reason Vladimir Putin gets to walk into and out of the UN isn't because he doesn't absolutely deserve to die, it's because killing him would create far more damage than it would solve. This is all super basic international diplomacy stuff

mrpaku on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

the plane appears to be an accident. Iran is saying they won't release the black boxes to Boeing though which is odd

• Options
    So basically to summarize this news cycle: a bad man got killed off and some people got angry but we decided to not make a big deal about it.

See you next time!

This is a wildly inaccurate, shortsighted, and ill informed interpretation.

• Options

the plane appears to be an accident. Iran is saying they won't release the black boxes to Boeing though which is odd

They indicated that they don't trust US interests to report accurately, which is fair.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Still skeptical Trump isn't going to demand total capitulation from Iran and pivot back to military options if they don't do it. Imposing additional sanctions pushes us closer to war, not further from it.

The peace overture is irrelevant political spin. He just made things worse.

• Options
    edited January 2020

The protest breached the embassy’s outer perimeter, but no one died.

The plane thing is hard. It’s quite a thing that a Ukrainian liner crashed in Tehran, but neither the US nor Iran nor Ukraine have said it was shot down, so far it seems just like an extraordinarily unfortunate coincidence.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    How hoarse was he?

Extremely. Lots of sniffing and swaying. His dentures seemed to be constantly making escape attempts. He slurred his speech constantly.

Also, he fed a near constant stream of lies.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

See you next time!

If your on EST, 10am is awful early to start slamming paint thinner

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    How hoarse was he?

He sounded like I do after a hangover. A bit deeper than usual, but not hoarse. Very low energy though. Only slurred once on "Tolerated," stayed on script except when talking about our hypersonic missiles, which got some looks from the joint chiefs.

He's certainly not happy with the outcome, then. The big question now is will the GOP stay onside or will they goad him into something even dumber?

This discussion has been closed.