As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Peace For Sale

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    @chokem Do you understand the concept of ripple effect?

In a vaccuum of information the US killing a guy with ties to terrorist organizations that weren't US aligned sounds great.

Doing it in a spectacularly blatent way that also killed people from the government of a neutral 3rd party who were meeting with him as part of negotiations with another nation at the behest of the US is kind of a huge problem for several reasons:

1. No one in the middle east is ever going to trust the US ever again. Point blank you can't be sure that there desires to engage in diplomacy aren't part of an assassination attempt.
    2. it destabilizes the region which leads to more issues that you need to clean up down the road.
    3. It is illegal both as a part of the geneva convention and as a violation of article one of the NATO charter.
    4. It prompts retaliation from Iran which given the level of the target is liable to be severe.
    5. It isolates the US from major allies in the event of wider conflict in the region since hey check it out: aside from Israel, Saudi Arabia and maaaayyyybe Turkey no one is going to want to support you in this kind of war.
    6. In the event of war we're going to see another refugee crisis just like what happened with syria.
    7. This is going to be like catnip for Islamic extremists.

Simply put, this is an idiotic mistake perpetrated by someone with less then 30 seconds of foresight.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    This went the best that it possibly could have, I think, given the assassination. Iran did an amazing job in their response, frankly.

It's a pity that "best it possibly could have" is maybe a chain of Middle Eastern nuclearization that could end with bombs disappearing, but hey, at least Iran has the tiniest of breathing room and we're not at war like, right now =/

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    This went the best that it possibly could have, I think, given the assassination. Iran did an amazing job in their response, frankly.

It's a pity that "best it possibly could have" is maybe a chain of Middle Eastern nuclearization that could end with bombs disappearing, but hey, at least Iran has the tiniest of breathing room and we're not at war like, right now =/

It sucks that I’m breathing a sigh of relief when it’s going to be near impossible to get diplomacy restarted with the Middle East after the evil Walder Frey shit we pulled

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

It sucks that I’m breathing a sigh of relief when it’s going to be near impossible to get diplomacy restarted with the Middle East after the evil Walder Frey shit we pulled

I mean, that's been the case for a generation. The real long lasting damage here is to nonproliferation. Iran, Saudi, and a handful of other countries are now going to have nuclear weapons in a matter of time. That is not good.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I mean, that's been the case for a generation. The real long lasting damage here is to nonproliferation. Iran, Saudi, and a handful of other countries are now going to have nuclear weapons in a matter of time. That is not good.

I mean, yeah. That's the primary lesson they're always learning from how we deal with North Korea.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

In this particular action, given the scenario, I am really impressed with Iran if they stop here.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    chokem wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    You simply cannot do this shit, it is insane. They're a sovereign country, and it absolutely does not matter that he was a bad person. We're in the middle of fighting proxy wars with their interests, and the point of that is so you do not have an actual war between nation

There is one exception to this. If you are the absolute most powerful country in the world you can do it and other nations just have to accept it as is, because really what can you do?

Develop a nuclear aresenal.

Hey now, you could also develop bioweapons! Don't place all the doomsday at Physics' door. But, bioweapons might be a bit complicated compared to 'big boom boom' that you'd need to make Trump scared. Hmm, and since Trump doesn't care about the American people and would probably survive even the worst bioweapon attack maybe you are right. Vs any sane leader, you have other options, vs Trump, you should go nuclear.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It would be fantastic if we somehow figured out how to stave off climate change only to be ultimately done in by nukes

Wait not fantastic

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    For the record I don't believe remotely that Iran is done retaliating.

Someone or something down the line is going to come to a bad end and it's absolutely going to be over this killing - it'll just have a layer of obfuscation over who did it and why.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

We had a deal with Iran less than 3 years ago. All squandered because the gop are dumb racist fuckheads

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I think it might be a mistake to speak about this exchange in the past tense. Retaliatory covert Iranian actions of some sort are almost a guarantee. The simplest option would be increased support for Iranian-favoring militia groups in Iraq, but that might not be direct enough.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Xaquin wrote: »

We had a deal with Iran less than 3 years ago. All squandered because the gop are dumb racist fuckheads

A good reminder for every idiot who will say Hilary (or the upcoming D candidate) would have had us at war with Iran over this

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Incenjucar wrote: »

In this particular action, given the scenario, I am really impressed with Iran if they stop here.

They are dealing with their hawks, too. Such as the millions that marched to mourn Suleimani.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Someone or something down the line is going to come to a bad end and it's absolutely going to be over this killing - it'll just have a layer of obfuscation over who did it and why.

I'm pretty sure they're done at this point. The hardliners are probably baying for blood but the simple fact is that unless the government wants the seat of Shiite power obliterated via a war they can't actually win barring fantastical shit going down, there isn't any point in going any further.

That having been said: I could very easily see Iran lashing out at trump once he's out of office and the repercussions wouldn't be nearly as severe.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Yall wrote: »
    Never heard of Soleimani before he got blown to pieces, but ultimately it’s a good thing he is gone?

IMHO yes.

Depending on the validity of the assertion he was in the process of orchestrating an immediate attack it may have even been legal.

However it still may have been a terrible idea that almost (and still could) make a decades long proxy war go full-on hot.

please imagine if one of our four/five star generals was assassinated while in a different country and the nation responsible publicly said "we did it, because of all the civilians you killed" (which would be accurate, we've killed thousands of civilians in the region)

This country would go apeshit, we would be declaring war on that country within minutes of congress getting into the room.

You simply cannot do this shit, it is insane. They're a sovereign country, and it absolutely does not matter that he was a bad person. We're in the middle of fighting proxy wars with their interests, and the point of that is so you do not have an actual war between nation states.

Iran may back down for now, they may go fully apeshit, they may wait and then plan several devastating attacks. There's no way to know, and that's why what the US did is not only completely indefensible, morally, it's also incredibly irresponsible and stupid, politically/tactically. It's exactly the reason you don't want Trump leading your military efforts. He has no long term vision, and he only thinks like a bully. He's a stupid bully who thinks if he makes a show of power, that makes him strong and unapproachable.

It's like how his reaction to Iraq is so laughable. Obviously they're incredibly pissed and want the US military out of there. And his response is to tell a sovereign nation, a country, publicly, that they don't have a choice about US troops within their borders. It's just...he's so bad at this.

I think you need to re-read what I wrote.

I acknowledged that it was good that he was gone and that it may have not been illegal (again depending on the truth of him being involved in planning an immediate attack) and that it was a bad idea.

What I didn't say is that we should have done it.

If there is a rattlesnake under your bed and then it's gone, ostensibly that is a good thing.

It doesn't mean that setting your room on fire was a good idea.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Hopefully the pentagon has learned their fucking lesson about presenting crazy options.

Given the reporting about how much Pompeo wanted this shit, I don't think in the end that that was a big factor here.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Never heard of Soleimani before he got blown to pieces, but ultimately it’s a good thing he is gone?

I wouldn't call an extralegal murder that has put us on the brink of a potentially multinational war a "good thing".

My rep, Elissa Slotkin, is a former CIA analyst assigned to the Iran book and had what I thought was a good take on Twitter at the time: that we've been considering killing Soleimani for years, but that the cost-benefit analysis never ticked over into the black because they considered Iranian retribution to be not worth it.

In terms of tangible results - Solemani dead and no real damage or causalities in response by Iran - Trump has broken-clocked himself a win by Slotkin's criteria.

The intangible results are really bad - i.e. we breached a ton of norms when we asked Iraq to invite a head of state go negotiate and then assassinated him in Iraq -- but I'm hopeful that the hit will fade with the Trump admin out of office, consistent with Iran's twitter statements that their problem lies with Trump, not America. If Iran can make that distinction, then anyone can.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

The Saudis having nukes is the real terrifying part imo. When that happens we will be the closest we've ever been to a non-state-actor nuclear strike happening. Some goddamn 24 shit.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I wouldn't call an extralegal murder that has put us on the brink of a potentially multinational war a "good thing".

My rep, Elissa Slotkin, is a former CIA analyst assigned to the Iran book and had what I thought was a good take on Twitter at the time: that we've been considering killing Soleimani for years, but that the cost-benefit analysis never ticked over into the black because they considered Iranian retribution tone not worth it.

In terms of tangible results - Solemani dead and no real damage or causalities in response by Iran - Trump has broken-clocked himself a win by Slotkin's criteria.

The intangible results are really bad - i.e. we breached a ton of norms when we asked Iraq to invite a head of state go negotiate and then assassinated him in Iraq -- but I'm hopeful that the hit will fade with the Trump admin out of office, consistent with Iran's twitter statements that their problem lies with Trump, not America. If Iran can make that distinction, then anyone can.

I think the damage the Trump presidency has caused is it shows america is unreliable as fuck even without Trump. That's the lasting damage, showing our country to be a toddler with a gun, hoping we don't pull the trigger.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this was just the showy dick-waving part. They are not gonna let it go that easy, but the rest will be like cyberattacks and proxy-attacks and such I assume.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The general suspicion for years is that the Saudis either have nukes or an agreement to get them quickly if necessary. That's why they financially backed Pakistan's nuclear program.

If that's true, then we basically have two undeclared nuclear powers in the Middle East, and two powers (Turkey and Iran) who can become nuclear capable with some achievable time and effort.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

My rep, Elissa Slotkin, is a former CIA analyst assigned to the Iran book and had what I thought was a good take on Twitter at the time: that we've been considering killing Soleimani for years, but that the cost-benefit analysis never ticked over into the black because they considered Iranian retribution tone not worth it.

I think the damage the Trump presidency has caused is it shows america is unreliable as fuck even without Trump.
    That's the lasting damage, showing our country to be a toddler with a gun, hoping we don't pull the trigger.

I don't really think that's the case. We're reliably decent-good? with a Dem president. With a Republican president, shit is reliably bad. And they can distinguish that our current foreign policy is a product of Russian information warfare.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Thawmus wrote: »

I mean, yeah. That's the primary lesson they're always learning from how we deal with North Korea.

I don't understand this. North Korea doesn't need a nuclear weapon. It has a ton of cold war-era artillery pointed at Seoul and the world economy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

IMHO yes.

Depending on the validity of the assertion he was in the process of orchestrating an immediate attack it may have even been legal.

However it still may have been a terrible idea that almost (and still could) make a decades long proxy war go full-on hot.

please imagine if one of our four/five star generals was assassinated while in a different country and the nation responsible publicly said "we did it, because of all the civilians you killed" (which would be accurate, we've killed thousands of civilians in the region)

This country would go apeshit, we would be declaring war on that country within minutes of congress getting into the room.

You simply cannot do this shit, it is insane. They're a sovereign country, and it absolutely does not matter that he was a bad person. We're in the middle of fighting proxy wars with their interests, and the point of that is so you do not have an actual war between nation states.

Iran may back down for now, they may go fully apeshit, they may wait and then plan several devastating attacks. There's no way to know, and that's why what the US did is not only completely indefensible, morally, it's also incredibly irresponsible and stupid, politically/tactically. It's exactly the reason you don't want Trump leading your military efforts. He has no long term vision, and he only thinks like a bully. He's a stupid bully who thinks if he makes a show of power, that makes him strong and unapproachable.

It's like how his reaction to Iraq is so laughable. Obviously they're incredibly pissed and want the US military out of there. And his response is to tell a sovereign nation, a country, publicly, that they don't have a choice about US troops within their borders. It's just...he's so bad at this.

I think you need to re-read what I wrote.

I acknowledged that it was good that he was gone and that it may have not been illegal (again depending on the truth of him being involved in planning an immediate attack) and that it was a bad idea.

What I didn't say is that we should have done it.

If there is a rattlesnake under your bed and then it's gone, ostensibly that is a good thing.

It doesn't mean that setting your room on fire was a good idea.

Except he was the head of a State Agency rather than a Non-State terrorist organization. Quds Force is no less effective today for his assassination, because it's an actual full on Department of Iran with numerous overlapping deputies and redundancies. The rattlesnake is still there, our bedroom just has more ash in it now.

• Options

I think the damage the Trump presidency has caused is it shows america is unreliable as fuck even without Trump.
    That's the lasting damage, showing our country to be a toddler with a gun, hoping we don't pull the trigger.

I don't really think that's the case. We're reliably decent-good? with a Dem president. With a Republican president, shit is reliably bad. And they can distinguish that our current foreign policy is a product of Russian information warfare.

I think it's more accurate to say that america is unreliable in the long term.

Other nations aren't stupid. They can look at which party is in charge and make judgments based on that, same as any of us can.

The calculus now is not "you can't make deals with the US", it's "you can't expect deals you make with the US to last past the end of the current democratic president's term". That's also bad but it's not the same.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

We can't reliably keep a decent president in office. It took 7 years for Obama (a decent president by almost any objective measure) to achieve the nuclear agreement with Iran and then we elected this fuck muppet specifically to erase Obama's legacy on all policies foreign and domestic.

No way this Iranian regime or any future one under its current structure ever trusts us or agrees to nuclear nonproliferation again.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Butters wrote: »

We can't reliably keep a decent president in office. It took 7 years for Obama (a decent president by almost any objective measure) to achieve the nuclear agreement with Iran and then we elected this fuck muppet specifically to erase Obama's legacy on all policies foreign and domestic.

No way this Iranian regime or any future one under its current structure ever trusts us or agrees to nuclear nonproliferation again.

Or they agree to it because it benefits them somehow in the short term and they know that they won't have to abide by the terms over the long haul. Every deal will be looked at through the lens of short-term vs long-term gains and losses and agreed to on those grounds. Deals with short-term pain and long-term gain are now completely pointless with the US.

shryke on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    You can't really conduct meaningful diplomacy when all your work will just get tossed every 4 years.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The people who elect the psychopaths will continue to vote, we will still have FPTP, the EC, Gerrymandering, congress still gives more power to small populations, the Supreme Court is still loaded with corruption, and things are still under the control of numerous parties across the world who don't care about peace.

Trusting us ever again would be insane.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The Saudis (royal family) don't need nukes

They did 9/11
    Changed the world forever
    Unified much of the middle East into hating the USA
    And have been printing money ever since

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    The Saudis (royal family) don't need nukes

They did 9/11
    Changed the world forever
    Unified much of the middle East into hating the USA
    And have been printing money ever since

Pakistan didn't need nukes either. Then India got them.

• Options

The issue here is that it means that you can't effect any sort of long term agreement with the US since every four years some lunatic is liable to come into power and push some insane new policy.

So unless trump goes down hard enough that the republicans are force to walk towards the center to distance themselves from him and the anti-reality cult that is his followers there is little reason to trust the US since hey check it out: everything that trump talked about wanting with iran (prosperity for there country and no nukes) was basically in place and he pissed it away out of sheer spite.

Frankly, putting long term trust in the US at this juncture is simply irresponsible for any head of state.

• Options
    madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Iran is refusing to turn over the black box from the Tehran crash. Keep an eye on this - if they stubbornly hold on to it, perhaps there's something on it they don't want anyone to know
    DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran will not give the black box of the crashed Ukrainian airliner to planemaker Boeing, the head of Tehran’s civil aviation organization was quoted as saying on Wednesday.
    Ali Abedzadeh also said it was not clear which country Iran would send the box to so that its data could be analyzed, semi-official Mehr news agency reported.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

Honestly even most Republican presidents have been leagues better than Trump in the semblance-of-good-faith department. I've seen people get irritated by one president or another deciding to walk away from a treaty or agreement or whatever, but this guy's the first one where just about everyone takes as a given, from square one, that the president isn't going to be in the same hemisphere as honesty about anything.

Most of his predecessors would grumble about agreements, but none of them would tear one up on impulse because someone on Fox News was cranky that evening.

The current idiot's different in kind, not just degree.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Thawmus wrote: »

I don't understand this. North Korea doesn't need a nuclear weapon. It has a ton of cold war-era artillery pointed at Seoul and the world economy.

That's really only a deterrent to empathic people.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The people who elect the psychopaths will continue to vote, we will still have FPTP, the EC, Gerrymandering, congress still gives more power to small populations, the Supreme Court is still loaded with corruption, and things are still under the control of numerous parties across the world who don't care about peace.

Unless we have a revolution...

• Options
    madparrot wrote: »
    Iran is refusing to turn over the black box from the Tehran crash. Keep an eye on this - if they stubbornly hold on to it, perhaps there's something on it they don't want anyone to know
    DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran will not give the black box of the crashed Ukrainian airliner to planemaker Boeing, the head of Tehran’s civil aviation organization was quoted as saying on Wednesday.
    Ali Abedzadeh also said it was not clear which country Iran would send the box to so that its data could be analyzed, semi-official Mehr news agency reported.

Why would they act like they are gonna cooperate with the US on anything right now?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »

Or maybe they don't trust Boeing to not hand it right over to the US government.

That seems more likely to me.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

Unless we have a revolution...

Post-revolutionary governments, of course, being know for their sense and stability.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

The Saudis having nukes is the real terrifying part imo. When that happens we will be the closest we've ever been to a non-state-actor nuclear strike happening. Some goddamn 24 shit.

When the Saudis have the nuke, I give it a year tops before IS / something similar gets them, too,

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.