As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [Movie]

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    My problem with Videodrome was that it wasn’t weird *enough*

I don't know what your tolerance for weird is

but...

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Videodrome is excellent.

Also I’m very sad Fred Willard is gone. I don’t think I ever saw him in anything where he didn’t make me laugh.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The Wrong Missy (Netflix) is another b-team Happy Madison Netflix movie, so if you're interested in those types of movies, you would like this. By the books PG-13 that dabbles its toe into R comedy about guy who accidentally brings the wrong girl he texts to a weekend vacation where his promotion is on the line at the same time, the only thing it's missing is Bosstones' The Impression That I Get. It's more polished than Father of the Year was, but not as funny, a quintessential weekend nap movie. It's running hardcore on Netflix/Sandler budget operation ie film the movie at a hawaiin resort to put the cast and crew up at the same time, film at small locations near trendy cities, really scrimp on the music and soundtrack which will make you pay more attention to, and freak out more that this goatee-less David Spade is 56 and after you have your existential crisis be thankful Molly Sims is still classy. It also has a bunch of other people you've seen before wanting in on that EZ Sandler cheese, including Sarah Chalke and Vanilla Ice this time around, but a lot of the movie feels like it just halts plot points at a whim. It doesn't do anything clever with the story or relationships but it gets a few dumb laughs from me like the shadow dancing.

It knows what it is, what you expect of it, so for a background movie it's not bad. It just exists. The Kix cereal of movies.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    so, yet another case of "[studio] paid for me and some of my friends to go on vacation and shoot some footage while we did."

gotta respect the hustle.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Do I?

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    so, yet another case of "[studio] paid for me and some of my friends to go on vacation and shoot some footage while we did."

gotta respect the hustle.

I'm a little more critical of this than I used to be. Sandler has shown he can bring it when he wants to so it's a shame to see his talent not put to use. I ain't sayingn he owes anyone anything but why not do good work if you can?

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    Criterion spine #946: Eight Hours Don't Make a Day

This is not a film, but a 1972 miniseries by Rainer Werner Fassbinder that runs five feature-length episodes. Apparently it was planned to be eight parts long, but the latter episodes were cancelled. It's about a middle-class German family, whose lives are changed when their son finds a new girlfriend.

Fassbinder is one of the more fascinating cases in German cinema, a hyper-prolific, cocaine-fueled, queer prodigy who was aesthetically ambitious and always making cynical, darkly comedic, and tragically entertaining stories about racism, politics, and other social problems in modern and recent historical (like wartime and postwar) Germany. His stories revolved around people being cruel and unfair to one another in order to illustrate a social or human truth. Eight Hours Don't Make a Day starts this way, at a drunken birthday party for the family Grandma, with family members loudly at one another's throats in that mean, half-joking way. I was prepared and even anticipating another dynamic and acidic chamber piece.

But this series switches its rhythm quickly with the introduction of Marion, a curly wig-wearing girl played by Fassbinder regular Hanna Schygulla, whom family son Joachim invites to the party while going to pick up more booze. It almost immediately becomes a comedy about human decency. Each episode is either fully or partially focused on a couple finding love or understanding between each other. The first is about young love. The second is about an elderly couple trying to build a life with one another. Another episode is about Joachim's sister trying to leave an abusive marriage. Joachim's job as a machinist is also a major focus in a majority of the episodes, as he and his coworkers negotiate and protest for fairer pay and treatment.

The characters are wonderfully written and cast. Fassbinder's troupe were always an oblong bunch, bending to whatever aesthetic or tonal goal he had in mind, but here they inhabit the roles of everyday comedy so well. His visual style is reduced somewhat to account for the relaxed feel of the drama, but shots are still punctuated with extremely intelligent reframing, camera movement, and cheeky zooms. It's the warmest thing he's made; an effortless seeming character piece about domestic happiness and labour. Every episode ends with a shot of a sun rising over a factory, and everytime it hit I felt a deep appreciation for this work and its earnest messaging of compassion and togetherness. It's one of the best things Fassbinder made.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Watching Knives Out and at about 28 minutes in they're in a car it cuts ahead to them being in the house all of the sudden like it's 45 minutes later when more has been revealed or something. Is this intentional or my playback is screwy?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Watching Knives Out and at about 28 minutes in they're in a car it cuts ahead to them being in the house all of the sudden like it's 45 minutes later when more has been revealed or something. Is this intentional or my playback is screwy?

I think your playback might be screwy

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    It was indeed, thanks.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The Wrong Missy (Netflix) is another b-team Happy Madison Netflix movie, so if you're interested in those types of movies, you would like this. By the books PG-13 that dabbles its toe into R comedy about guy who accidentally brings the wrong girl he texts to a weekend vacation where his promotion is on the line at the same time, the only thing it's missing is Bosstones' The Impression That I Get. It's more polished than Father of the Year was, but not as funny, a quintessential weekend nap movie. It's running hardcore on Netflix/Sandler budget operation ie film the movie at a hawaiin resort to put the cast and crew up at the same time, film at small locations near trendy cities, really scrimp on the music and soundtrack which will make you pay more attention to, and freak out more that this goatee-less David Spade is 56 and after you have your existential crisis be thankful Molly Sims is still classy. It also has a bunch of other people you've seen before wanting in on that EZ Sandler cheese, including Sarah Chalke and Vanilla Ice this time around, but a lot of the movie feels like it just halts plot points at a whim. It doesn't do anything clever with the story or relationships but it gets a few dumb laughs from me like the shadow dancing.

It knows what it is, what you expect of it, so for a background movie it's not bad. It just exists. The Kix cereal of movies.

It is bad, if for no other reason than the multiple instances of Spade's character waking up to Missy fondling (and in one case downright having sex with) him.

Shit is really not funny.

• Options
    Oh yeah. The first time that happens is after she fucking tranquilizes him. She does this by shoving a horse tranq pill in his mouth and making him swallow it.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man imagine having a literal rape joke in a movie in 2020. Happy madison everyone.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    It happens on a plane, and the woman sitting behind them says he is going to hell. So date rape and victim blaming. Great jokes.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Wait was Missy the movie with the trailer that had that inexplicable violent fall off a cliff?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Man the train from BttF III is so freaking cool. It has a big glowy flux capacitor in front of the smokestack. I feel like you just don't see elaborately designed props like that anymore.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Man the train from BttF III is so freaking cool. It has a big glowy flux capacitor in front of the smokestack. I feel like you just don't see elaborately designed props like that anymore.

Fury Road was only 5 years ago

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Wait was Missy the movie with the trailer that had that inexplicable violent fall off a cliff?

She does take a very violent tumble off a cliff. She is in partial traction for like a day and they move on from it

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »

Fury Road was only 5 years ago

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I feel compelled to let people know this was a scene in the Dora the Explorer live action movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zetvKaYBxtg

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I read an article recently in Esquire which mentioned that Fast & Furious was the first action movie tentpole franchise that had "true colorblind casting". I'm not sure that's actually true, but it's an interesting proposition...

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I read an article recently in Esquire which mentioned that Fast & Furious was the first action movie tentpole franchise that had "true colorblind casting". I'm not sure that's actually true, but it's an interesting proposition...

Men In Black dabs on that assertion and I don't even like that franchise. Unless we're getting into the weird modern day every year/other year franchises.

Whatever the case Fast & Furious sucks and is the worst F&F movie it should only be the first action movie to suck to the power of Nos.

edit: just to be clear, that's Fast 4, the first one is golden.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Maybe unintentionally? But Fast & The Furious was aimed at a very specific car culture demographic and cast accordingly.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Maybe unintentionally? But Fast & The Furious was aimed at a very specific car culture demographic and cast accordingly.

The Venn diagram of Motorheads and Point Break fans can only overlap so much.

• Options
    Saying something had "True" anything is basically no true scottsmaning the argument from the start to make your point. "I have decided this movie fits a criteria I have created for it."

I mean the franchise starred Paul Walker for fuck sake, Paul god damn Walker. PAUL WALKER!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Men In Black dabs on that assertion and I don't even like that franchise. Unless we're getting into the weird modern day every year/other year franchises.

Whatever the case Fast & Furious sucks and is the worst F&F movie it should only be the first action movie to suck to the power of Nos.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=men+in+black+cast

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=fast+and+the+furious+cast

MIB 2, which still didn't have half as diverse a cast as F&F and came out the year after.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    If we're going by Fast 4, that's the fourth film of a franchise, where they had to switch out the cast in the second movie because only Paul Walker and his FBI handler came back, and the third one was a whole new cast on another continent with Diesel returning for 30 seconds and to get the rights to Riddick.

So this is trying to praise diversity that really came about from penny pinching and keeping a franchise alive by any means necessary, two things that actually ruin movies. It was only through sheer luck with Fast Five aka The Brazillian Job that it became an Avengers level contender.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

The Venn diagram of Motorheads and Point Break fans can only overlap so much.

Well I mean Lemmy liked the Beach Boys, so there's that.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Saw Boondock Saints for the first time ever. Willem Dafoe had fun doing this didn't he.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I feel compelled to let people know this was a scene in the Dora the Explorer live action movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zetvKaYBxtg

That whole movie doesn't so much break the fourth wall as legislate open borders and extend citizenship to those on the other side of the fourth wall.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    If we're going by Fast 4, that's the fourth film of a franchise, where they had to switch out the cast in the second movie because only Paul Walker and his FBI handler came back, and the third one was a whole new cast on another continent with Diesel returning for 30 seconds and to get the rights to Riddick.

So this is trying to praise diversity that really came about from penny pinching and keeping a franchise alive by any means necessary, two things that actually ruin movies. It was only through sheer luck with Fast Five aka The Brazillian Job that it became an Avengers level contender.

Isn't that what color blind means? If you set out to have a diverse cast, that's not color blind. A random hodgepodge that happens to be diverse is color blind casting. It's not better, it's just a lucky coincidence.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Men in Black had one good movie, one kinda crappy movie, and another one happened like twenty years later that I don't think anyone saw. It's not much of a "franchise," and the only notable PoC character is Will Smith.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options

Isn't that what color blind means? If you set out to have a diverse cast, that's not color blind. A random hodgepodge that happens to be diverse is color blind casting. It's not better, it's just a lucky coincidence.

Color Blind casting is like your totally not racist friend who "doesn't see color I just see people" its complete bullshit. Especially in modern focus grouped to shit hollywood.

I'd say the writer of F4 probably had race indicated on characters, but it was probably more the crayon color they wrote the script in that denoted it. "Ok what race is burnt sienna?"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    As someone who had many weekends as a kid dedicated by "what is on TBS/USA/TNT that my father will throw on", I enjoy The Rewatchables podcast-even though it isn't generally cutting edge criticism by any means. They did Gladiator recently, which touched on Master and Commander.

Which reminded me what a great movie that is. I went and rewatched it and just god fucking damnit we were robbed. They had already colonated the title!!! In 2003! There have to be at least 3 good to decent sequels that we could have gotten. And we'd be coming up on some massive budget 20 year anniversary reboot/sequel. And look I love Return of the King, but look what it finally winning all those Oscars got us-actually save yourself the 8 hours and don't.

And navy movies all suck now. Has there been an even okay one since 2003?- Only if you count some of the ones with SEALS, which lets be honest don't really count. Most of those don't even have ships in them. I think its legitimately arguable that Battleship is the best naval movie since.

/rant

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The only good navy movies are submarine movies and the last good one of those was

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The only good navy movies are submarine movies and the last good one of those was

Down Periscope

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The modern navy is too boring to make any worthwhile movies. "We fired missiles at something really far away." "We launched some planes at something really far away, and three hours later they all came back." "We're submariners with no real enemy to be worried about so we spend a lot of time underwater with nothing to do but listen to whales hump and polish our missiles. Yes that's innuendo."

Battleship worked because they knew it was a dumb premise and leaned into it, and figured out how to get surface ship battles into the movie. I think if someone tried to do a period naval battle movie now, they'd be somewhat hamstrung by the Pirates series and how ship to ship fighting was portrayed. Either do it accurately and people think it's boring or end up making sort of a ripoff.

I still want my Battle off Samar movie. All the WWII mining for movies that's been done and no one has picked it up for some reason. It's one of the largest naval battles in history, one of the most mismatched naval battles in history, and one of the greatest last stands in history. The actual battle took just under 3 hours so it could be done in real time. They wouldn't have to embellish anything because everything that happened is already so incredible.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just remembered they released a big Midway movie 6 months ago

Did anyone see it?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I've heard the best war movie we'll probably never get would be the Haitian rebellion against France.

Well, it was F&F: Initial D Tokyo Drift that got Justin Lin the keys to the franchise, so I think that was the real game changer.
    (Also arguably the best movie in the series, and definitely one of the few that actually focuses on, well, racing.)
    knitdan wrote: »
    I just remembered they released a big Midway movie 6 months ago

Did anyone see it?

My father did. He said it was okay, but this is a guy who watches westerns all day, soo...

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.