Options

in which we ffwd thru the talky bits of the [movie] thread

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    What'd Ian do?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I think the list is.... fine? Every entry seems defensibly "Lynchian"!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'm just happy to see Annihilation and mother! in the top 10 of good lists

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    There’s a trailer for the new Abel Ferrara flick starring Willem Dafoe called Siberia. It is... very NSFW. But please go seek it out. There is a ton of incredibly moody lighting, straight up heavy metal, nudity and violence.

Ferrara is back baybeeeee

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I think the list is.... fine? Every entry seems defensibly "Lynchian"!

I don't think there's anything Lynchian about Stranger Things
    Or Fargo or True Detective or

"Weird stuff in a small town" is not in itself Lynchian

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh man. Ready or Not was outstanding.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Kane & Lynchian

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oh man. Ready or Not was outstanding.

Rich people are the real monsters is my favorite genre

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Speaking of, I’m watching Parasite again

I think the flooding scene is the apex of...all movies?

It’s such an amazing crescendo of theme, symbolism, excellent cinematography, perfect music, all converging at once and if I have any real problem with Parasite it’s that I think this is probably a stronger climax than the actual ending

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

It’s such an amazing crescendo of theme, symbolism, excellent cinematography, perfect music, all converging at once and if I have any real problem with Parasite it’s that I think this is probably a stronger climax than the actual ending

That shot on the toilet is absolutely one of the greatest shots in film history.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    please no meat touching, ma'am

god Mission Hill ruled

the actual neighborhood is nowhere near as great as the show

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I just rewatched Fast Five for the first time in a few years

This movie has a really underrated internal morality. The bad guys are all dirty cops, or members of a drug enterprise that positively cites Portuguese colonizers as an influence. Forgiveness is rewarded, withholding fatal violence is a virtue.

(A lot of the latter requires you to buy into "Batman doesn't kill people" suspension of disbelief, but still)

Also that vault sequence still absolutely fucking rips

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Finally got around to seeing 1917

That movie is good! Not earth-shattering, but a really well made and neat war movie

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Then you had the rich family call the rain a blessing the next day.

The same rain that ruined so many peoples homes and had hundreds of people sleeping in a gym.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

This movie has a really underrated internal morality. The bad guys are all dirty cops, or members of a drug enterprise that positively cites Portuguese colonizers as an influence. Forgiveness is rewarded, withholding fatal violence is a virtue.

(A lot of the latter requires you to buy into "Batman doesn't kill people" suspension of disbelief, but still)

I adore the "this is Brazil" scene.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I don't really know what to do with this, but apparently the Guns Akimbo (that mad-as-balls Daniel Radcliffe thing where he has two guns bolted to his hands and Samara Weaving tries to kill him) director got in a twitter fight ... look, you know what, the whole thing is fucking complicated. The director tried to respond to cyberbullying of a person who was at the center of an internet shitstorm by basically engaging in the cyberbullying himself. It's not pretty.

The Mary Sue summarises it as best it can. (CW: Attempted suicide)

Since then, the Director may have had a moment of self-reflection? Hasn't really dug himself out of that hole he made, but at least he may have stopped getting deeper.

Anyway, fuck knows. The whole situation seems shit.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah I was reading about that. I can't believe he used the official Twitter account for his own movie as part of whatever he was doing. The studio people must be pretty upset with him, to put it mildly.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Re: Parasite is it true (non plot spoilers)
    That the rich family is almost always portrayed climbing up the stairs, while the Kims are mostly shown going down? Saw this observation from somewhere in the net, but I can't confirm this without rewatching. Except for the rich daughter going down near the climax, I can't remember any big scenes that contradict this. If this is true, wow, that's pretty good movie-ing.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'd have to rewatch to check. A quick mental rescan of the movie and it feels true, but that might be confirmation bias.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was reading about that. I can't believe he used the official Twitter account for his own movie as part of whatever he was doing. The studio people must be pretty upset with him, to put it mildly.

A real pillar of future theater classes is gonna be "Stay The Fuck Off Twitter 101"

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I don't really know what to do with this, but apparently the Guns Akimbo (that mad-as-balls Daniel Radcliffe thing where he has two guns bolted to his hands and Samara Weaving tries to kill him) director got in a twitter fight ... look, you know what, the whole thing is fucking complicated. The director tried to respond to cyberbullying of a person who was at the center of an internet shitstorm by basically engaging in the cyberbullying himself. It's not pretty.

The Mary Sue summarises it as best it can. (CW: Attempted suicide)

Since then, the Director may have had a moment of self-reflection? Hasn't really dug himself out of that hole he made, but at least he may have stopped getting deeper.

Anyway, fuck knows. The whole situation seems shit.

Everything about this is everything I hate about the internet.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

And I said it kinda jokingly in the TV thread but it is also stealth cyberpunk as fuck. You've got decking and rigging throughout, you've got face work like crazy. It misses some of the set dressing because it's still moderately grounded in where we were technologically and stylistically at the time so no cybernetics or anything, but like the main plot starts because of a data file hidden in the computer of a car the characters stole. The characters are trying to take down what is essentially the megacorp owner of the city that has both gangers, and their own police force. With a very small presence of "real" cops that aren't outright owned by the megacorp. It's like watching a shadowrun game without magic.

I adore the "this is Brazil" scene.

The "Where's letty?" Scene is like one of the best scenes in the entire franchise. Vince is just an excellent character throughout the whole series and his arch really embodies the change in storytelling, and one might say character levels, between the pre and post fast five movies.

Also in looking something up for this post I've found out that han is somehow back for 9 and I don't even care why, I'm down for whatever bullshit they come up with.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Tangentially movie related, but

okay start for the week

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Harvey Weinstein was found guilty of 3rd degree rape and 1st degree criminal sexual assault, and will face up to 25 years in prison

He was found not guilty on the 2 counts of predatory sexual assault

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Start the clock on Trump pardoning him.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Trump isn't going to pardon him, he's a big Democrat donor. Hope he fucking rots.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I could see him trying to. It's like ellen being friends with bush.
    Political affiliation matters less than class affiliation to a lot of rich assholes

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Tube wrote: »
    Trump isn't going to pardon him, he's a big Democrat donor. Hope he fucking rots.

State charges, anyway. Trump can't pardon him.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    He's a great example of how evil Liberal Hollywood is though, they love having him around to point at.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

unless he says nice things about Trump like Blago did

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I hope he tripped on that stupid walker on the way out of the courtroom and ate shit

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Buttman

Hmm, different guy, actually

• Options
    I watched Goldfinger and it is absolutely wild how every iconic thing about James Bond is in this movie

I would've thought it was more spread out but nope, third time, gadgets, the Aston Martin, chained down with a slow laser, "I expect you to die," ridiculous names, a bombastic theme song, horrible puns that make me want to throw things, a storyline that is ostensibly a romance but in reality is more like assault

it's all there! I don't LIKE it very much, but it's there

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I watched Goldfinger and it is absolutely wild how every iconic thing about James Bond is in this movie

I would've thought it was more spread out but nope, third time, gadgets, the Aston Martin, chained down with a slow laser, "I expect you to die," ridiculous names, a bombastic theme song, horrible puns that make me want to throw things, a storyline that is ostensibly a romance but in reality is more like assault

it's all there! I don't LIKE it very much, but it's there

Are you going through the whole series?

• Options
    the box set was very cheap on eBay and I've got nothing better to do

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I hope he tripped on that stupid walker on the way out of the courtroom and ate shit

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Enjoy prison, shithead.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I hope he serves his whole sentence. Just lives long enough to get out with a few marbles rolling around in his head, see that society no longer cares or remembers him and then he dies.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

This is also acceptable, I guess

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Enjoy prison, shithead.

personally, i hope prison is an unpleasant experience!!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

This discussion has been closed.