As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finally, a video game about the best part of [Star Wars]

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Tlj was good but needed more time on the script.

How long could it take to write a script? Ten minutes?

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Poe's arc is good. He's an insubordinate soldier who thinks he knows better and when he sends his friends on a wild goose chase for what he thinks is a better solution fucks everything up.

I mean his arc kind of sucks since RoS didn't have him as a responsible leader and its like TLJ never happened.

As written, it's an idiot plot and turns our Latino main character into a hotheaded chauvinist in service to a theme of 'obey your superiors, even if everything you're seeing looks really sketchy and everyone around you agrees that it looks bad enough to warrant mutiny'. Which obviously isn't the intent, but still.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

You know Tros was never going to be good, but it is still surprising how bad it was. They got back the guy who has never satisfactorily ended a story in his life, and whose response to "what does the future of star wars look like" is "the first movie" and who clearly did not care or understand about any character who was not named solo.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the fuck did going to bespin accomplish all they did was get caught?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    Poe's arc is good. He's an insubordinate soldier who thinks he knows better and when he sends his friends on a wild goose chase for what he thinks is a better solution fucks everything up.

I mean his arc kind of sucks since RoS didn't have him as a responsible leader and its like TLJ never happened.

As written, it's an idiot plot and turns our Latino main character into a hotheaded chauvinist in service to a theme of 'obey your superiors, even if everything you're seeing looks really sketchy and everyone around you agrees that it looks bad enough to warrant mutiny'. Which obviously isn't the intent, but still.

Would have been nice if Holdo also made some sort of appearance in the first movie if just to give her some sort of authority 'I know what I'm doing' cred. No, not all of us are reading the new novels which establish characters like her so please give us a reason to trust this lady who came out of nowhere. And maybe not coma Leia and kill Akbar just to put her in a position to butt heads with Poe.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I was pretty tepid on TLJ upon release I shore do certainly have fonder feelings post RoS that fuckin thing

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Maybe in the next trilogy we'll finally start getting some actual world building.

I mean Episodes 1-3 tried but...they were episodes 1-3.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Maybe in the next trilogy we'll finally start getting some actual world building.

I mean Episodes 1-3 tried but...they were episodes 1-3.

Are you saying that "I don't like sand" doesn't fill in so many gaps? How dare you.

• Options
    Like very palpably a human person and persons had creative control on TLJ and the next one was fuckin like a fuckin coven of skeksis or somethin

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I might like TROS more than TLJ, at least as a dumb movie to half watch...except where a few things in TLJ strike me as miswritten in a way that reads sketchy or is stupid, shit in TROS is just intentionally fucking racist or stupid or both, which is kind of hard to ignore!

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    One thing I hope Disney learned from their first few years with the license was to cool it on the release schedule (which they by all appearances had done until the dozen new Disney+ shows all got announced recently) and to let a single vision at least outline new projects going forward instead of the round-robin madlib that was the sequel trilogy.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I just can't wait to see what's next for Sheev Palpatine. I'm sure he's got some sort of Plan D.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    im pretty sure they specifically said they were slowing down star wars movies. im fine with a bunch of tv shows though. they need some sort of D+ content.

• Options
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Finn doesnt need to be a Jedi. He was already a capable badass

I think it was totally fine that he's not a jedi, there's plenty of cool non-jedi in star wars

But it's definitely some hot bullshit that the posters and stuff were outright teasing him with a lightsaber and shit, and then in the actual trilogy he's mostly just relegated to sidekick status

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Finn doesnt need to be a Jedi. He was already a capable badass

I think it was totally fine that he's not a jedi, there's plenty of cool non-jedi in star wars

But it's definitely some hot bullshit that the posters and stuff were outright teasing him with a lightsaber and shit, and then in the actual trilogy he's mostly just relegated to sidekick status

I would have loved it if she survived TLJ only to show up as the big obstacle to Finn and the other ex-Stormtroopers in TROS' climax, Finn escaping her grasp continually up to then turning him into her Moby Dick, enough so that it overrides her (abiet stated in non-movie material) usual "It's all about me still living" attitude.

• Options
    That would have required JJ and Terrio care about anything in TLJ.

Course they would have demonstrate the ability to care about anything at all.

God, Tros still makes me so angry. Everything related to it also sucks, the novelization, the Poe Dameron spice runner book. More context for the events just make it worse. I

• Options
    Star wars youtube announced that they are doing some High Republic character primer videos, so like a fool I search for Avar Kriss, only to be inundated with videos about how to redesign the "overly masculine" original look.
    high-republic-art-1586168750-048F-column-width-inline.jpg

Launch every star wars youtuber (Except for Andi and Anthony and those related) into the goddamn sun and let their names be stricken from all records.

Why are they like this

• Options
    HAH! I forgot they were like "JJ needs help to make this good get the Batman vs. Superman guy no not that guy IDIOT the other one"

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Zach Snyder’s Star Wars would be so

so
    Breathtakingly dull and stupid to watch.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    And like sour with evil

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Snyders star wars would at least be technically proficient and not edited like someone found the good meth.
    He would have at least not butchered john William's music.
    As far as the content it would have been the most dour and joyless thing imaginable

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    It'd have been black and white. Kylo Ren would have been jacked. Rey would barely participate. The trailer would have been set to "John William Presents: Hallelujah." A bunch of US Army tanks and helicopters would have taken down Palpatine. Lightsabers would have been revealed to run on children's souls.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Zack Snyder's TROS would have brought back Palpatine in order to say he was right.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Here is a vfx Artists React video of them going over a lot of stuff in the Mandalorian.

I'm not usually a fan of "X reacts to Y" videos but these guys are one of my favorite channels because they explain what's happening and why, and can break down vfx shots into cool layman's chunks.

Spoilered for Mando stuff.
    https://youtu.be/2Wmocp4iHvA

The Luke in this was more than likely a deep fake as opposed to cg. Deep fakes are getting a lot better so look for Disney to bring back literally every dead or old actor they have the rights to, soon.

Also, surprised to find out some of the Razorcrest shots in this were filmed practically the same way they filmed the OT ships!

Basically, Mando has some like, way more cutting edge, big budget movie level effects work going on in it than I had first imagined.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Mandos effects and effect philosophies are amazing.

Here are some videos I’ve been watching.

https://youtu.be/8YuaIwVbEZo

https://youtu.be/Ufp8weYYDE8

I legit can’t wait for a big movie budget to have a crack at doing something similar with a bigger set so you can get bigger wides and more interactive stuff in the shot.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    HAH! I forgot they were like "JJ needs help to make this good get the Batman vs. Superman guy no not that guy IDIOT the other one"

the honest to god real fucked up take I have in my head is "tros could've been decent if it were two normally paced movies instead of one edited like a child breathlessly telling you about the toys they were playing with"

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

the honest to god real fucked up take I have in my head is "tros could've been decent if it were two normally paced movies instead of one edited like a child breathlessly telling you about the toys they were playing with"

TROS could have been the whole sequel trilogy. That's how much shit they crammed in there.

And it could have been totally fine. Like, TFA levels. A nostalgic return to a universe beloved as a child.

But what happened was JJ went "See Star Wars can be fun!" And Johnson went "Yeah!" And then JJ went "No not like that."

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I would have still hated TROS as a trilogy because all the worst EU books were about the Emperor coming back to life.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, much like HYDRA being the actual bad guys instead of SHIELD in another movie, having the emperor be the actual bad guy instead of some other supervillain was dumb and bad and deflated the thing

The movies being a debate between Abrams and Johnson sucked too

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I will die on the hill of "The newest trilogy should have been based on the Yuuzhan Vong invasion of the galaxy".

Just...tone down the BDSM aspect.

But then again, I liked TLJ the most out of the new trilogy because it tries to do things differently. We've had 6 movies of Jedi vs Sith. That's enough.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    I will die on the hill of "The newest trilogy should have been based on the Yuuzhan Vong invasion of the galaxy".

But then again, I liked TLJ the most out of the new trilogy because it tries to do things differently. We've had 6 movies of Jedi vs Sith. That's enough.

However well you think it worked for novels, it would have super not worked for movies. Because NJO was not a sequel to Return of the Jedi, it was the culmination of like a decade+ of novels, comics, and games. Deleting all the build up to it would also delete all the emotional connection and drama of certain things being reintroduced or killed off. It's one thing to say in a movie "Leia and Han had three kids... oh no, the youngest one died!" Vs an entire book series starring that kid coming out first.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

However well you think it worked for novels, it would have super not worked for movies. Because NJO was not a sequel to Return of the Jedi, it was the culmination of like a decade+ of novels, comics, and games. Deleting all the build up to it would also delete all the emotional connection and drama of certain things being reintroduced or killed off. It's one thing to say in a movie "Leia and Han had three kids... oh no, the youngest one died!" Vs an entire book series starring that kid coming out first.

So what you're saying is... Ssi-ruuk trilogy, followed by a Vong trilogy?

Brilliant! Ship it and print it, time to make some money!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

that's like the only thing the Yuuzhan Vong had going for them :lol:

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Donnicton wrote: »

So what you're saying is... Ssi-ruuk trilogy, followed by a Vong trilogy?

Brilliant! Ship it and print it, time to make some money!

If terrible EU fans were in charge of Disney Star Wars, the fastest and least harmful route would be:
    Part 1
    -Thrawn movie trilogy
    -A hopefully less rapey Courtship of Princess Leia movie or TV miniseries
    -X-Wing TV series, possibly animated like Rebels, would go from the comics to the novels in order

Part 2
    -A condensed Jedi Academy movie
    -A condensed Dark Forces movie (you could cut this one for time, but people would love it)
    -YA Young Jedi show with plotlines swapping between Jacen/Jaina and Anakin

Part 3
    -A condensed movie about the Corellian trilogy
    -A movie that covers Luke and Mara getting together

Then you would have the bare minimum for a movie version of NJO that wouldn't have lost every interesting element going into it.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    You're all cowards.

Embrace the extragalactic aliens who don't care about the force.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I want a Darksaber movie shot like a worker safety and rights informational

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    if for some reason they really want to go with the spooky outside alien force as an antagonist, which i just have mixed feelings about conceptually (at best), you might as well throw Tim Zahn a bone and make it the Not-Vong he's been trying to push for like four books now

at the very least i don't think they're named in the "pick two exotic words from a menu" style

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    I can confirm that the titles of the next three Star Wars movies will be:
    -Ewoks Take Manhattan
    -The Great Ewok Caper
    -An Ewok Christmas Carol

This discussion has been closed.