As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a Sakuga [Anime] Thread

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Ok yeah nvm both of ya put it better than me.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The thing from Gunbuster that's always stuck with me is the very last scene.

"Welcome hom3"

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    The thing from Gunbuster that's always stuck with me is the very last scene.

"Welcome hom3"

That is funny because
    This is ALSO one of the scenes that sticks with me from Diebuster, which is every bit as great as the original.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    The crossed arms pose atop the ship before nuclear dropkicking through the entire alien fleet is absolute peak Gainax

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Oh! Gurren lagann would definitely get a few greatest anime moments.

For me:
    Kamina punching Simon before their final Giga Drill Breaker.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

For me:
    King Kaitan (sp?) Giga Drill Breaker.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Started watching Escaflowne.

My initial thoughts 1 episode in.
    Those are some very distinct noses the characters have.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    My favorite Law moments are when he drops the facade.
    Like when he gets just as excited to meet a ninja as everyone else, and when he starts to fanboy over Germa 66

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

For me:

https://youtu.be/aRO3dRBov_w

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    My favorite Law moments are when he drops the facade.
    Like when he gets just as excited to meet a ninja as everyone else, and when he starts to fanboy over Germa 66

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPXQRrC6Y_Q

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    hmm yeah this series is definitely aware of its subtext
    [/img]
    I mean at a certain point I think it just becomes text. Small print text, sure, but still text.

I'm always kinda fascinated by these sorts of stories that has like a massive Gay Subtext bear sitting right in the middle of the room, but because no other characters go "hey look, a bear" large swathes of the audience just never pick up on it, or think it's unintentional, or just fanservice. Like I started browsing through the reddit discussion threads at the time and maybe one out of a dozen posters were even picking up on it at all. It's not until like ep 5 or so that it even becomes a topic of contention.

Or then like watamote was in that zone for yeeeaaars, and now it's more in the forefront of the story... but also it's still never exactly been spelled out openly.

Or like season 1 of hibike euphonium

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Read some more Franken Fran.

Protip if you're ever going to Fran for surgery: If she says the phrase "Well, it doesn't matter to me either way" then immediately abort. She's assuming you're fully aware of the ramifications of what you're asking her to do, and you most certainly are not.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    [/img]
    I mean at a certain point I think it just becomes text. Small print text, sure, but still text.

I'm always kinda fascinated by these sorts of stories that has like a massive Gay Subtext bear sitting right in the middle of the room, but because no other characters go "hey look, a bear" large swathes of the audience just never pick up on it, or think it's unintentional, or just fanservice. Like I started browsing through the reddit discussion threads at the time and maybe one out of a dozen posters were even picking up on it at all. It's not until like ep 5 or so that it even becomes a topic of contention.

Or then like watamote was in that zone for yeeeaaars, and now it's more in the forefront of the story... but also it's still never exactly been spelled out openly.

I mean I feel that is a natural consequence of big homophobia, especially among publishers. Although to be slightly fairer to Rakugo, it makes a lot more sense that the cast does not at all comment on it. Yakumo's sort of formative story takes place from maybe the 1930s to the very late 1950s at latest. There are a few characters who do seem to actually wonder about it, even if they never voice their "concern." Namely Bon/Sukaromu's master. When he comes back from the war he is visibly worried about the fact that Bon still hasn't really been showing any interest in women, and there's even a scene where I can almost see the question on his face before he brushes it off basically going "Bon, this kid I trained and who I feel is like a son for me, can't be gay. That just can't happen." But it's such a taboo that most characters, especially because Bon is liked, can't conceive it and the ones who have an inkling refuse to entertain the thought further.

And in the modern stuff/Yota's story Yakumo is old enough that he has a plausible excuse to not be interested in women.

Gundi on
  • Options
    been looping this at work, b a n g e r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OkkUm7wW9I

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Beasteh wrote: »
    been looping this at work, b a n g e r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OkkUm7wW9I

it's a good song but that ed feels wildly out of place with the tone of the entire rest of the show

• Options
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I once heard One Piece described as a long-running RPG campaign where everyone independently decided to make a joke character, and are each attempting to derail the campaign in entirely different ways at all times.

I only read like one arc, just so I'd understand the basics, but the part I always remember is half the crew on their ship desperately rushing to save the other half. But somehow they manage to wind up with some sea monster on board, and they're all distracted wanting to fight and/or eat it. Sanji yells at them to stop getting distracted, they have to focus on their mission, and everyone reluctantly calms down.

And then I turned the page and the next panel is Sanji immediately fighting the monster himself.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Re: My Next Life As A Villainess, I'm a little disappointed that she doesn't switch to Mean Girl OG Catarina mode sometimes, and perhaps use it for good somehow. It's absolutely fine as it is but I think it'd be a bit more interesting story if she were trying to avoid her doom flags while still having to, at least externally, act in-character to some degree, rather than just being a nice person and consequently everything aligning to her benefit with no drama. I guess that's a different kind of story though, it just wants to be a soft and warm, low-stress sort of story.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Everyone rotates between straightman and cause of the joke.

E: In One Piece

silence1186 on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    She does use her Mean Girl expression to occasionally scare things away, but otherwise isn't interested in being the least bit villainous.

There is a spinoff manga called Hard Mode or something where she gets her memories back when she's already at the school instead of back when she was 8, and so she's in a much more precarious position.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    "Okay everyone, time to sit down for our first session of this pirate themed D&D campaign. Lets start by introducing your characters."

"I'm literally rubber, also I can't swim and am using both wis and int as complete dump stats"
    "I'm a swordsman, but with THREE swords. I also think int is a complete dump stat"
    "I'm the worlds worst liar, and a coward. Yes I'm a ranger, how did you know?"
    "I'm a lady thief with a dark mysterious past, but I'm not actually a rogue that's just my backstory. I'm a storm druid"

...some time passes

"I'm the cutest little reindeer paladin"
    "I'm also a lady thief with a dark mysterious past, but I'm also not a rogue that's just my backstory. I'm a wizard."
    "I'm a warforged barbarian. Also a pervert"
    "Since I'm coming in later, I'm a former fighter that died and came back as a skeleton bard"

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm realizing none of my friends watch or read one piece.

I should totally DM a one piece d&d campaign.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm realizing none of my friends watch or read one piece.

I should totally DM a one piece d&d campaign.

I did this with Metal Gear Solid once. It worked out pretty well.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    One Piece D&D would have a whole lot of "Okay, you take 20 points of damage, that takes your health to -5."
    "Dang! Okay, I use Tiger Claw stance to..."
    "What? Your health is a negative number, you start rolling death saves is what you do."
    "I get that I'm in death state, but I'm telling you what my next attack is, if you'd listen!"

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Chopper can shapeshift so he is the cutest little werereindeer paladin.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    One Piece D&D would have a whole lot of "Okay, you take 20 points of damage, that takes your health to -5."
    "Dang! Okay, I use Tiger Claw stance to..."
    "What? Your health is a negative number, you start rolling death saves is what you do."
    "I get that I'm in death state, but I'm telling you what my next attack is, if you'd listen!"

bold of you to assume zoro has ever once had to roll to stabilize

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    there's a webcomic that recontextualizes one piece as a D&D 3.5 game like that, using screencaps like darths and droids does for star wars
    luffy and zoro are munchkins who slowly learn how to do more than murderhobo as the game goes on, Nami's into RP but not much of a powergamer, Usopp is a new player, etc.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/sailormoonredraw?src=hashtag_click

There's a sailormoon redraw going on right now so you can check out various artist's art if you like

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    That was the one I was going to post when I got home

I really want to buy one of their shirts, but also don't want to deal with ordering from Japan

EDIT: oh man, they added an option for international ordering, welp

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    "Okay everyone, time to sit down for our first session of this pirate themed D&D campaign. Lets start by introducing your characters."

"I'm literally rubber, also I can't swim and am using both wis and int as complete dump stats"
    "I'm a swordsman, but with THREE swords. I also think int is a complete dump stat"
    "I'm the worlds worst liar, and a coward. Yes I'm a ranger, how did you know?"
    "I'm a lady thief with a dark mysterious past, but I'm not actually a rogue that's just my backstory. I'm a storm druid"

...some time passes

"I'm the cutest little reindeer paladin"
    "I'm also a lady thief with a dark mysterious past, but I'm also not a rogue that's just my backstory. I'm a wizard."
    "I'm a warforged barbarian. Also a pervert"
    "Since I'm coming in later, I'm a former fighter that died and came back as a skeleton bard"
    Later still:

I’m a fish, I punch stuff

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Oh, is this the skateboarding maid artist?

Yep, it is! Highly encourage everyone to check out this person's art if you are into either 1) skateboarding or 2) maids.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Both are relevant to my interests

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    [/img]

I mean, part of it is straiight up the fact that, very often, that people's standards for what "counts" are just SO much more ridiculously stringent when it comes to gay stuff.

A dude and a girl look at each other for two seconds and everyone assumes they're love interests but then you have actual supposed gay advocates decrying a show in which two girls live together and one literally pilots a mecha called White Lily (which given Japanese imagery is the rough equivalent of putting her in a mech that was just a giant lesbian pride flag) as "bait" that doesn't count because they... never kiss on screen?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    [/img]

I mean I feel that is a natural consequence of big homophobia, especially among publishers. Although to be slightly fairer to Rakugo, it makes a lot more sense that the cast does not at all comment on it. Yakumo's sort of formative story takes place from maybe the 1930s to the very late 1950s at latest. There are a few characters who do seem to actually wonder about it, even if they never voice their "concern." Namely Bon/Sukaromu's master. When he comes back from the war he is visibly worried about the fact that Bon still hasn't really been showing any interest in women, and there's even a scene where I can almost see the question on his face before he brushes it off basically going "Bon, this kid I trained and who I feel is like a son for me, can't be gay. That just can't happen." But it's such a taboo that most characters, especially because Bon is liked, can't conceive it and the ones who have an inkling refuse to entertain the thought further.

And in the modern stuff/Yota's story Yakumo is old enough that he has a plausible excuse to not be interested in women.

I walked away to do some gardening and then I was trying to think of what I was actually trying to say with my last post. Homophobia and publisher censorship is obviously a huge part of it, but I don't think that's what makes it interesting. Obviously I'd prefer more realistic, openly queer anime. But I've also written before about how censorship shaped queer genres like yuri, limitations on speech can develop into their own stylizations of speech, and end up outlasting the censorship. And for some newer series that's kinda what it feels like. They're fully committing to wanting to tell a queer story, but if you don't pick up on it then it's just going to be your loss, they make no real effort to handhold the mainstream audience through what's really going on in the characters head. Especially with Rakugo Shinju, where everyone not talking about it / not having the vocabulary to talk about it feels like an important part of the emotional weight of the story. The gay subtext isn't being presented as like an optional reading of the text, it's not Top Gun. It's the intended story, and you're either understanding the full text or you're missing out on parts of the story, and that's how the author intends it.

Which I think is actually pretty interesting if you've got people telling queer stories and they're just like "if you don't get it then I don't care."

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    there's a webcomic that recontextualizes one piece as a D&D 3.5 game like that, using screencaps like darths and droids does for star wars
    luffy and zoro are munchkins who slowly learn how to do more than murderhobo as the game goes on, Nami's into RP but not much of a powergamer, Usopp is a new player, etc.

One of my favorite bits in Grand Line 3.5 is that Sanji was meant to just be a random NPC chef on the Baratie, but the DM rolled something like three critical hits during the encounter with the asshole naval officer (he was supposed to get beat up by the officer) and the resulting knockout was too cool for him to not become a recurring character.

His name is “Sanji” because the DM had initially just called him “waiter #3” in his notes.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    [/img]

whenever someone notices the bear:

6d586007979fe4ddf60468b44791b713543e61cc_00.jpg

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    T
    Enlong wrote: »

One of my favorite bits in Grand Line 3.5 is that Sanji was meant to just be a random NPC chef on the Baratie, but the DM rolled something like three critical hits during the encounter with the asshole naval officer (he was supposed to get beat up by the officer) and the resulting knockout was too cool for him to not become a recurring character.

His name is “Sanji” because the DM had initially just called him “waiter #3” in his notes.

Just checked it, and they're just in Alabasta

I'm guessing GM will hand off Sanji to a new player who wants to seduce everything and everyone, but the GM doesn't want that kind of thing in his table, so Sanji ends up looking stupid. And finally he'd be fed up with it and go "You know what? Fine. You want a nosebleed? You get a nosebleed. You get a nosebleed so bad your HP is zero and you have to make death saves for this entire island."

This discussion has been closed.