Options

It's a Sakuga [Anime] Thread

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I'd love to see an adaptation of Code Geass that took the premise and setting more seriously, but I'm also not sure who could be trusted to do that.

For one thing, the revelation to the Black Knights' inner circle that the leader of their Japanese liberation group is both unidentified and confirmed to not to be Japanese himself seems like it should be a bigger deal than it is portrayed. In the original series the Black Knights only care once it is proven to them that their leader has mind control capabilities and is himself of Brittanian royal blood. Even then, their primary concern is that they are uncertain as to the extent at which they have been manipulated by mind control. The fact that their leader is someone descended from the family that conquered their homeland isn't given near enough importance.

I could also see more being done with the conflict between Suzaku, a Japanese man serving as a soldier for his homeland's conquerors in the hopes that he could achieve reform to make things better for his people, and Kallen, a biracial individual who could pass as Brittanian Kallen Stadtfield and avoid racial discrimination but instead fights for the oppressed Japanese as Kallen Kozuki in a Japanese liberation terrorist organization that opposes Brittania.

In addition, there's the fact that Princess Euphemia's proposal for the Special Administrative Zone of Japan is viewed a lot more positively in the show than I expect it would be in reality. Despite members of the Black Knights being skeptical of the idea, Lelouch is convinced it is a death blow to his anti-Brittanian movement. In real life I'd expect a proposal for a modern day glorified ethnic minority reservation to go over like a lead balloon.

It's also never remarked upon in the original series that more than one of the Purebloods (a Brittanian group primarily drawn from the nobility opposed to the "Honorary Citizenship" system) is a person of color. I'd expect Brittania, as a society that developed from an AU colonial America that lost the Revolutionary War, to be explicitly white supremacist. However, Pureblood member Villetta Nu is clearly a person of color, as is at least one more minor character introduced briefly later on in season two. Further, supplemental materials reveal that Villetta is not of noble blood, but that Jeremiah (a white Brittanian) longed for an opportunity to bestow upon her the rank of Baroness so that her descendants could be counted as nobility. That sounds like an interesting story, but one that is never elaborated upon in the original series.

And, of course, there is the morality of Lelouch's own methods to consider. His ability to impose his own will upon others, to compel them to perform actions completely against their nature.

I want a woke, leftist, anticolonialist take on Code Geass is what I'm saying, I guess. That may be a silly thing to want, but it seems clear to me that Code Geass's original creator wanted to explore many of these topics but perhaps was never given the full opportunity to do so.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    a version of TPN that went with "actually the bad guys are just bad guys one and all" or lovecraft shit would undercut some of the best parts of even its first arc thematically

like i'm pretty iffy on how things have turned out, but i think one of the series' greatest strengths is its continuing escalation of "and here's how it's still a prison this far up the chain, even for the antagonists"

• Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I never got the impression that the main character of Princess Connect is the way he is because of amnesia. He's the way he is because that's the way that EVERY goddamned protagonist of these kinds of shows and games are, and they're just not bothering to give him any more lines or involvement in things than the one or two token meaningless random dialogue interjections that RPGs are full of. Like I wouldn't be shocked at all if most of the script was verbatim lifted from the game it's based on. The Persona comparison is apt. Yu didn't spend every episode and scene staring blankly into space as a comment on mental illnesses or autism, but because the script adapters were really, really lazy and/or scared of giving him some kind of personality/lines that didn't exist in the original game.

The actual game apparently uses short animated cutscenes mixed in with regular dialog windows, and from what little I've seen of them floating around on Youtube, the MC behaves exactly the same in-game as in the anime.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    a version of TPN that went with "actually the bad guys are just bad guys one and all" or lovecraft shit would undercut some of the best parts of even its first arc thematically

like i'm pretty iffy on how things have turned out, but i think one of the series' greatest strengths is its continuing escalation of "and here's how it's still a prison this far up the chain, even for the antagonists"

I think one big issue with Promised Neverland is that we're finding more out about the demons SO late in the game that story ends up really scrambling to play catch up in both setting up dilemmas regarding what we learn and then offering solutions pretty much right after.

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Code Geass: Desks Need Love Too

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Yeah, while Suzaku and Lelouch both have their own selfish reasons for doing what they do it's Kallen who is the actual hero character of Code Geass because she fights for the people.

She's also, far as I know, the best actual pilot in the series by a country mile? Which is actually a pretty neat detail if so.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Black Lagoon is starting up again this fall! In celebration, I've been rewatching the anime which features quite possibly the best English dub of all time. Oh yeah, and very NSFW.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cyLyJTWpzc

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I've never watched Black Lagoon, but if the sub is anywhere near as good as Cowboy Bebop's, maybe I should check it out.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yeah, while Suzaku and Lelouch both have their own selfish reasons for doing what they do it's Kallen who is the actual hero character of Code Geass because she fights for the people.

She's also, far as I know, the best actual pilot in the series by a country mile? Which is actually a pretty neat detail if so.

Yeah, Suzaku is next best and whenever he beats her, it's as a result of shenanigans.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Black Lagoon is starting up again this fall! In celebration, I've been rewatching the anime which features quite possibly the best English dub of all time. Oh yeah, and very NSFW.

I imagine those two have hate-sex for days.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Code Geass: Desks Need Love Too

table-kun deserved better

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I've never watched Black Lagoon, but if the sub is anywhere near as good as Cowboy Bebop's, maybe I should check it out.

I love Black Lagoon, but I also recognize that it is very very very of its time and more than a bit edgelordy, but I'm a big sucker for a great action scene and some of those action scenes are all-timers.

Dub-wise, it's great. Maryke Hendrikse starts out a bit rough for Revy, but after a few episodes Maryke grew into my default Revy voice. Everyone else does great and comes to play from the start, though.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Black Lagoon is first and foremost an action series. A small crew of pirates/delivery people who team up or fight with various criminal and paramilitary units. It's got a bit of everything, humor, drama, and pure ass kicking. It has some fanservice but the girls are all treated as very, very scary and the show does not shy away from showing how horrible the criminal underworld can get.

Pretty much everyone loves to fight, but those that don't aren't cowards. Quite the opposite.

This is from the 2nd episode, and it sets the tone of the show pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjASERYanDI

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

The fuck is "hate-sex"?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »

The fuck is "hate-sex"?

Typically when two people can't stand each other yet have sexual attraction for some reason.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I'd love to see an adaptation of Code Geass that took the premise and setting more seriously, but I'm also not sure who could be trusted to do that.

For one thing, the revelation to the Black Knights' inner circle that the leader of their Japanese liberation group is both unidentified and confirmed to not to be Japanese himself seems like it should be a bigger deal than it is portrayed. In the original series the Black Knights only care once it is proven to them that their leader has mind control capabilities and is himself of Brittanian royal blood. Even then, their primary concern is that they are uncertain as to the extent at which they have been manipulated by mind control. The fact that their leader is someone descended from the family that conquered their homeland isn't given near enough importance.

I could also see more being done with the conflict between Suzaku, a Japanese man serving as a soldier for his homeland's conquerors in the hopes that he could achieve reform to make things better for his people, and Kallen, a biracial individual who could pass as Brittanian Kallen Stadtfield and avoid racial discrimination but instead fights for the oppressed Japanese as Kallen Kozuki in a Japanese liberation terrorist organization that opposes Brittania.

In addition, there's the fact that Princess Euphemia's proposal for the Special Administrative Zone of Japan is viewed a lot more positively in the show than I expect it would be in reality. Despite members of the Black Knights being skeptical of the idea, Lelouch is convinced it is a death blow to his anti-Brittanian movement. In real life I'd expect a proposal for a modern day glorified ethnic minority reservation to go over like a lead balloon.

FWIW, as bad as the Special Administrative Zone is, the big issue is that once you get that Zero is an heir to the Brittanian throne and has mind control powers, you not only get a means and a motive for the Special Administrative Zone massacre, but can also easily say that Lelouch was using the Japanese resistance as cannon fodder to get to the Brittanian throne and "actually I was using you guys to kill my father" doesn't sound better. Those things getting vastly glossed over kinda make the entire payoff not very satisfying. Like, they couldn't just skip a bit of the Mao plot for that?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Yep, she is 100% the top pilot in probably the world considering Suzaku only matches her, even with the Lancelot, by making use of his curse to avoid her killing blows.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

The fuck is "hate-sex"?

Typically when two people can't stand each other yet have sexual attraction for some reason.

"You're a fruitcake!" -Daniel Jackson

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Peas wrote: »
    I think the manga is still going on like in a Berserk way?

The last animated arc was Roberta's blood trail. The most recent after that deals with a Chinese intelligence agent caught up in a conspiracy.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2020

Yep, she is 100% the top pilot in probably the world considering Suzaku only matches her, even with the Lancelot, by making use of his curse to avoid her killing blows.

The final battle between Suzaku and Kallen almost feels like the staff was deliberately trying to put that question to rest by setting up a 1v1 battle where Suzaku has a slight edge and still loses.

Anyway, Kallen rules and it's unfortunate that the majority of season 2 treats her pretty poorly.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

The fuck is "hate-sex"?

When 2 characters really shouldn't get together but the actors have chemistry and it confuses the audience so they get shipped anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Can someone give me context on redraw Sailor Moon? Who started it, and why?

it's a thing for artists to redraw screencaps of anime (or film or shows or whatever) either as studies or to experiment with styles

the sailor moon redraw tag has been kicking around for a few years at least, before the current explosion i most often saw this shot being used

i'm not sure exactly why it blew up like it did now, thank the algorithm/zeitgeist/etc for it, but the first instance of this particular redraw was from last year

anyway i've tossed my hat in the ring too

g8jg0wdcqqfc.png
    qjphicoze0cw.png

i'm back on an utena kick and since i've been thinking about the movie i started going through this 9 part shot-by-shot analysis, it's quite good so far (full spoiler warning for everything, of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrajGU8H4B4

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

No that's Revy and Eda

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Since Black Lagoon and its dub have been mentioned, I feel compelled to re-link this video.

(NSFW language; that’s literally all the video is)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=DKwaPSkjXp0

Enlong on
  • Options
    My only issue is that count is outdated since the movie got released. :D

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Black Lagoon is a show about dumb bad people doing dumb bad things.

And that's alright. Still love the episode where the mixed race Chinese American and the black ex-marine kill a ship full of neo nazis and have a bunch of fun doing it.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Since Black Lagoon and its dub have been mentioned, I feel compelled to re-link this video.

I hope that actress' resume is just a link to that video.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Lelouch of the Re;ssurection, as anticipated, turned out to be completely skippable. It's pretty much just a flimsy excuse for a Code Geass character reunion with a low-stakes scenario.
    Shirley, who managed to survive through the three recap movies by joining Rivalz in largely steering clear of the plot, ended up somehow managing to steal Lelouch's body for C.C. (off-screen) after Suzaku very publically stabbed him at the end of the third movie. Lelouch's body somehow isn't dead because he partially inherited his dad Charles' immortality (somehow). Now, C.C. and a near mindless, frequently terrified Nobody Lelouch are searching for the last surviving gate to C's World to restore Lelouch's mind to his body (there's also a weird explanation that C.C. is immortal because C's World somehow replaces her damaged tissues with replacements, which doesn't really mesh with how C's World is otherwise established to work). Meanwhile, Nunnally and Suzaku (who it turns out are much more minor players on the world stage than you probably would have guessed) are kidnapped by agents of the country of Zilkhstan, a nation that has been hurting economically during the period of world peace brought about by the Zero Requiem because its only export was soldiers.

C.C. and Nobody Lelouch are shortly joined by a grab bag of returning favorite characters: Kallen, Lloyd, and Sayoko. After inflitrating a prison, using the hidden C's World gate, rescuing Suzaku, and defeating the prison's guards (who, for whatever reason, had disguised themselves as prisoners until the the good guys re-emerged from the lower levels), the team emerges with a restored Lelouch to try and rescue Nunnally, who is being exploited by the villain because her brain waves are similar to Charles' or something.

After a long sequence involving the bad guy traveling back in time six hours over and over upon dying to try and thwart Lelouch and an expanded team that includes several more returning characters for maximum fan service (including Jeremiah, Anya, Cornelia, Ohgi, Tamaki, Cecille, and Nina), Lelouch finally manages to deduce and circumvent the villain's unique time-manipulating Geass power (in a way I don't quite understand) and rescue Nunnally.

Despite earlier saying to Suzaku that he might possibly be a ghost that will disappear in a day's time, the resurrected Lelouch declines to return home with Nunnally and instead go wandering aimlessly with C.C. Lelouch declares, shortly after being told by C.C. that he can't keep going by his real name, that his new name will be L.L., which a quick Google search informs me is his way of proposing marriage to C.C. (not sure if that's correct, but I don't care that much).

The after credits scene shows a gothier-looking Lelouch aka L.L. and C.C. The former begins monologuing to someone off-screen about the resolution it takes to use Geass and not be destroyed by it. At the end, Lelouch is shown with a Geass symbol on his chest, implying that he has passed on the power of Geass to someone else, is now immortal, and that C.C. is now mortal.

Shirley shows up a few times in scenes far away from the main action, remaining alive and almost completely separated from the plot. At least she didn't get fridged like she did in season two of the original show, so yay???

Oh, also, while C.C is in C's World trying to restore Lelouch she happens upon what appears to be Charles and Marianne trapped in a large, black globe. This never comes up again. I kind of get the feeling that the writers for this movie are more confused about C's World's rules than I was during the original series.

I'm inclined to say that the original TV series, warts and all, is the true canon of Code Geass. These movies were fun from a perspective of bypassing tedious school hijinks and fanservice, as well as trying to spot the differences between the movies and the original show, but in the end too much of the interesting material was cut and the new prologue movie is completely unneccessary.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

I love Black Lagoon, but I also recognize that it is very very very of its time and more than a bit edgelordy, but I'm a big sucker for a great action scene and some of those action scenes are all-timers.

Dub-wise, it's great. Maryke Hendrikse starts out a bit rough for Revy, but after a few episodes Maryke grew into my default Revy voice. Everyone else does great and comes to play from the start, though.

Its not so much of its time as it is of like, 1986.

Its verrry 80s action movie cocaine logic

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Lelouch of the Re;ssurection, as anticipated, turned out to be completely skippable. It's pretty much just a flimsy excuse for a Code Geass character reunion with a low-stakes scenario.
    Shirley, who managed to survive through the three recap movies by joining Rivalz in largely steering clear of the plot, ended up somehow managing to steal Lelouch's body for C.C. (off-screen) after Suzaku very publically stabbed him at the end of the third movie. Lelouch's body somehow isn't dead because he partially inherited his dad Charles' immortality (somehow). Now, C.C. and a near mindless, frequently terrified Nobody Lelouch are searching for the last surviving gate to C's World to restore Lelouch's mind to his body (there's also a weird explanation that C.C. is immortal because C's World somehow replaces her damaged tissues with replacements, which doesn't really mesh with how C's World is otherwise established to work). Meanwhile, Nunnally and Suzaku (who it turns out are much more minor players on the world stage than you probably would have guessed) are kidnapped by agents of the country of Zilkhstan, a nation that has been hurting economically during the period of world peace brought about by the Zero Requiem because its only export was soldiers.

C.C. and Nobody Lelouch are shortly joined by a grab bag of returning favorite characters: Kallen, Lloyd, and Sayoko. After inflitrating a prison, using the hidden C's World gate, rescuing Suzaku, and defeating the prison's guards (who, for whatever reason, had disguised themselves as prisoners until the the good guys re-emerged from the lower levels), the team emerges with a restored Lelouch to try and rescue Nunnally, who is being exploited by the villain because her brain waves are similar to Charles' or something.

After a long sequence involving the bad guy traveling back in time six hours over and over upon dying to try and thwart Lelouch and an expanded team that includes several more returning characters for maximum fan service (including Jeremiah, Anya, Cornelia, Ohgi, Tamaki, Cecille, and Nina), Lelouch finally manages to deduce and circumvent the villain's unique time-manipulating Geass power (in a way I don't quite understand) and rescue Nunnally.

Despite earlier saying to Suzaku that he might possibly be a ghost that will disappear in a day's time, the resurrected Lelouch declines to return home with Nunnally and instead go wandering aimlessly with C.C. Lelouch declares, shortly after being told by C.C. that he can't keep going by his real name, that his new name will be L.L., which a quick Google search informs me is his way of proposing marriage to C.C. (not sure if that's correct, but I don't care that much).

The after credits scene shows a gothier-looking Lelouch aka L.L. and C.C. The former begins monologuing to someone off-screen about the resolution it takes to use Geass and not be destroyed by it. At the end, Lelouch is shown with a Geass symbol on his chest, implying that he has passed on the power of Geass to someone else, is now immortal, and that C.C. is now mortal.

Shirley shows up a few times in scenes far away from the main action, remaining alive and almost completely separated from the plot. At least she didn't get fridged like she did in season two of the original show, so yay???

Oh, also, while C.C is in C's World trying to restore Lelouch she happens upon what appears to be Charles and Marianne trapped in a large, black globe. This never comes up again. I kind of get the feeling that the writers for this movie are more confused about C's World's rules than I was during the original series.

I'm inclined to say that the original TV series, warts and all, is the true canon of Code Geass. These movies were fun from a perspective of bypassing tedious school hijinks and fanservice, as well as trying to spot the differences between the movies and the original show, but in the end too much of the interesting material was cut and the new prologue movie is completely unneccessary.

I enjoyed going on one more ride with the Pizza Hut brigade, but yes, it was super duper unnecessary. The way they constructed a movie timeline also means the original TV show story wasn't "cheapened" or "ruined" or whatever else canon fanatics might spend their days worrying about.

• Options
    edited May 2020

I enjoyed going on one more ride with the Pizza Hut brigade, but yes, it was super duper unnecessary. The way they constructed a movie timeline also means the original TV show story wasn't "cheapened" or "ruined" or whatever else canon fanatics might spend their days worrying about.

You've just reminded me that Kallen at one point in the movie refers to C.C. as "Pizza Girl".

I also still can't believe that Shirley lives in these movies and still accomplishes far less than she did in the original series. I had previously assumed Shirley lived because they were planning to use her in the new movie, but apparently she only lived because they didn't have time for her scenes but also liked her enough to add her into scenes she wasn't in before instead of just killing her off-screen.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

I hope that actress' resume is just a link to that video.

That and a bunch of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Bratz clips.

No, I'm serious on this. Her IMDB page contains some huge whiplash potential.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I mean, I'm just happy they didn't kill her off in the movie timeline. Her death in the original series was incredibly unnecessary and cheap.

• Options
    I mean, I'm just happy they didn't kill her off in the movie timeline. Her death in the original series was incredibly unnecessary and cheap.

Killing Shirley was the only reason for the Rolo character to exist. Which you might say "did that character need to exist either?" And I'd say... probably not, it's all marketing and merch. They (probably correctly) thought that giving Lelouche an obsessive pretty boy follower who wanted to jump his bones would light up a certain demographic and make them a wheelbarrow full of cash. And perhaps that was dead on correct, who knows?

• Options
    edited May 2020

Ideally she would have gotten something to do on-screen, though. She went from knowing Lelouch was Zero in the series to having a hunch that Lelouch was "probably" a member of the Black Knights in the movies. She also shot Villetta in the series and caused her memory loss, whereas in the movies I honestly can't recall how Villetta lost her memory. Shirley's overall importance to the plot in the movies has massively decreased save for things we're told she did off-screen.

Lelouch trying to use the "live" Geass command on Shirley as she was dying in the series was really intense, IMO. Even if they didn't do that they could have ended things with her by Lelouch wiping her memory of him like what happened in the series.

Killing Shirley was the only reason for the Rolo character to exist. Which you might say "did that character need to exist either?" And I'd say... probably not, it's all marketing and merch. They (probably correctly) thought that giving Lelouche an obsessive pretty boy follower who wanted to jump his bones would light up a certain demographic and make them a wheelbarrow full of cash. And perhaps that was dead on correct, who knows?

Honestly I really liked Rolo's character and what Lelouch's relationship with him revealed about their characters. The scene after Nunnally's supposed death where Lelouch rants to a clearly heartbroken Rolo that he'll never take Nunnally's place in Lelouch's heart, followed shortly after with Rolo saving Lelouch and trying to act like he believed Lelouch was only driving him away to protect him really got to me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pCaFwMR7zsY

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Rolo had a role to play aside from killing Shirley: he was for a good part of early season 2 the closest antagonist at hand, and it was clear that Lelouch would have been given someone to keep an eye on him. A new character totally makes sense for that.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular

Ideally she would have gotten something to do on-screen, though. She went from knowing Lelouch was Zero in the series to having a hunch that Lelouch was "probably" a member of the Black Knights in the movies. She also shot Villetta in the series and caused her memory loss, whereas in the movies I honestly can't recall how Villetta lost her memory. Shirley's overall importance to the plot in the movies has massively decreased save for things we're told she did off-screen.

Lelouch trying to use the "live" Geass command on Shirley as she was dying in the series was really intense, IMO. Even if they didn't do that they could have ended things with her by Lelouch wiping her memory of him like what happened in the series.

Honestly I really liked Rolo's character and what Lelouch's relationship with him revealed about their characters. The scene after Nunnally's supposed death where Lelouch rants to a clearly heartbroken Rolo that he'll never take Nunnally's place in Lelouch's heart, followed shortly after with Rolo saving Lelouch and trying to act like he believed Lelouch was only driving him away to protect him really got to me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pCaFwMR7zsY

yeah god that scene is great

What really kills me about it is that Lelouch's anger isn't unjustified: Rolo is a fake that was put there to be Lelouch's handler by the very people Lelouch has been fighting against his whole teenage life. Of course he'd hate Rolo, of course Rolo could never replace his actual sister who has shared all the pain and tragedy of his life.

But Rolo's developed brotherly love for Lelouch is what makes that so tragic, because if it weren't for that then perhaps he could have had the big brother he so desired.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

Good News!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/05/05-1/code-geass-creators-unveil-10-year-plan-for-series

waNkm4k.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.