Options

It's a Sakuga [Anime] Thread

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Lelouch of the Re;ssurection, as anticipated, turned out to be completely skippable. It's pretty much just a flimsy excuse for a Code Geass character reunion with a low-stakes scenario.
    Shirley, who managed to survive through the three recap movies by joining Rivalz in largely steering clear of the plot, ended up somehow managing to steal Lelouch's body for C.C. (off-screen) after Suzaku very publically stabbed him at the end of the third movie. Lelouch's body somehow isn't dead because he partially inherited his dad Charles' immortality (somehow). Now, C.C. and a near mindless, frequently terrified Nobody Lelouch are searching for the last surviving gate to C's World to restore Lelouch's mind to his body (there's also a weird explanation that C.C. is immortal because C's World somehow replaces her damaged tissues with replacements, which doesn't really mesh with how C's World is otherwise established to work). Meanwhile, Nunnally and Suzaku (who it turns out are much more minor players on the world stage than you probably would have guessed) are kidnapped by agents of the country of Zilkhstan, a nation that has been hurting economically during the period of world peace brought about by the Zero Requiem because its only export was soldiers.

C.C. and Nobody Lelouch are shortly joined by a grab bag of returning favorite characters: Kallen, Lloyd, and Sayoko. After inflitrating a prison, using the hidden C's World gate, rescuing Suzaku, and defeating the prison's guards (who, for whatever reason, had disguised themselves as prisoners until the the good guys re-emerged from the lower levels), the team emerges with a restored Lelouch to try and rescue Nunnally, who is being exploited by the villain because her brain waves are similar to Charles' or something.

After a long sequence involving the bad guy traveling back in time six hours over and over upon dying to try and thwart Lelouch and an expanded team that includes several more returning characters for maximum fan service (including Jeremiah, Anya, Cornelia, Ohgi, Tamaki, Cecille, and Nina), Lelouch finally manages to deduce and circumvent the villain's unique time-manipulating Geass power (in a way I don't quite understand) and rescue Nunnally.

Despite earlier saying to Suzaku that he might possibly be a ghost that will disappear in a day's time, the resurrected Lelouch declines to return home with Nunnally and instead go wandering aimlessly with C.C. Lelouch declares, shortly after being told by C.C. that he can't keep going by his real name, that his new name will be L.L., which a quick Google search informs me is his way of proposing marriage to C.C. (not sure if that's correct, but I don't care that much).

The after credits scene shows a gothier-looking Lelouch aka L.L. and C.C. The former begins monologuing to someone off-screen about the resolution it takes to use Geass and not be destroyed by it. At the end, Lelouch is shown with a Geass symbol on his chest, implying that he has passed on the power of Geass to someone else, is now immortal, and that C.C. is now mortal.

Shirley shows up a few times in scenes far away from the main action, remaining alive and almost completely separated from the plot. At least she didn't get fridged like she did in season two of the original show, so yay???

Oh, also, while C.C is in C's World trying to restore Lelouch she happens upon what appears to be Charles and Marianne trapped in a large, black globe. This never comes up again. I kind of get the feeling that the writers for this movie are more confused about C's World's rules than I was during the original series.

I'm inclined to say that the original TV series, warts and all, is the true canon of Code Geass. These movies were fun from a perspective of bypassing tedious school hijinks and fanservice, as well as trying to spot the differences between the movies and the original show, but in the end too much of the interesting material was cut and the new prologue movie is completely unneccessary.

Good News!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/05/05-1/code-geass-creators-unveil-10-year-plan-for-series

Hmmm

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Edit: Someone linked to the video I posted (which sums up Black Lagoon in one four letter word.)

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    I always watch that video when it comes along and I'm always laughing uncontrollably somewhere around forty seconds in.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Edit: Someone linked to the video I posted (which sums up Black Lagoon in one four letter word.)

To be fair, some of those are six or seven letter words.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

To be fair, some of those are six or seven letter words.

And a 13-letter one somewhere in the middle there.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Lelouch of the Re;ssurection, as anticipated, turned out to be completely skippable. It's pretty much just a flimsy excuse for a Code Geass character reunion with a low-stakes scenario.
    Shirley, who managed to survive through the three recap movies by joining Rivalz in largely steering clear of the plot, ended up somehow managing to steal Lelouch's body for C.C. (off-screen) after Suzaku very publically stabbed him at the end of the third movie. Lelouch's body somehow isn't dead because he partially inherited his dad Charles' immortality (somehow). Now, C.C. and a near mindless, frequently terrified Nobody Lelouch are searching for the last surviving gate to C's World to restore Lelouch's mind to his body (there's also a weird explanation that C.C. is immortal because C's World somehow replaces her damaged tissues with replacements, which doesn't really mesh with how C's World is otherwise established to work). Meanwhile, Nunnally and Suzaku (who it turns out are much more minor players on the world stage than you probably would have guessed) are kidnapped by agents of the country of Zilkhstan, a nation that has been hurting economically during the period of world peace brought about by the Zero Requiem because its only export was soldiers.

C.C. and Nobody Lelouch are shortly joined by a grab bag of returning favorite characters: Kallen, Lloyd, and Sayoko. After inflitrating a prison, using the hidden C's World gate, rescuing Suzaku, and defeating the prison's guards (who, for whatever reason, had disguised themselves as prisoners until the the good guys re-emerged from the lower levels), the team emerges with a restored Lelouch to try and rescue Nunnally, who is being exploited by the villain because her brain waves are similar to Charles' or something.

After a long sequence involving the bad guy traveling back in time six hours over and over upon dying to try and thwart Lelouch and an expanded team that includes several more returning characters for maximum fan service (including Jeremiah, Anya, Cornelia, Ohgi, Tamaki, Cecille, and Nina), Lelouch finally manages to deduce and circumvent the villain's unique time-manipulating Geass power (in a way I don't quite understand) and rescue Nunnally.

Despite earlier saying to Suzaku that he might possibly be a ghost that will disappear in a day's time, the resurrected Lelouch declines to return home with Nunnally and instead go wandering aimlessly with C.C. Lelouch declares, shortly after being told by C.C. that he can't keep going by his real name, that his new name will be L.L., which a quick Google search informs me is his way of proposing marriage to C.C. (not sure if that's correct, but I don't care that much).

The after credits scene shows a gothier-looking Lelouch aka L.L. and C.C. The former begins monologuing to someone off-screen about the resolution it takes to use Geass and not be destroyed by it. At the end, Lelouch is shown with a Geass symbol on his chest, implying that he has passed on the power of Geass to someone else, is now immortal, and that C.C. is now mortal.

Shirley shows up a few times in scenes far away from the main action, remaining alive and almost completely separated from the plot. At least she didn't get fridged like she did in season two of the original show, so yay???

Oh, also, while C.C is in C's World trying to restore Lelouch she happens upon what appears to be Charles and Marianne trapped in a large, black globe. This never comes up again. I kind of get the feeling that the writers for this movie are more confused about C's World's rules than I was during the original series.

I'm inclined to say that the original TV series, warts and all, is the true canon of Code Geass. These movies were fun from a perspective of bypassing tedious school hijinks and fanservice, as well as trying to spot the differences between the movies and the original show, but in the end too much of the interesting material was cut and the new prologue movie is completely unneccessary.

Good News!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2019/05/05-1/code-geass-creators-unveil-10-year-plan-for-series

Let. Stories. END.

This obsession with IP is the thing that rots away the soul of a creative piece.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    According to some leak from a source that was proven to be right several times, next week an anime adaptation of Act-Age will be announced.

It's one of the most popular new mangas started in last 2-3 years, that did not get an adaptation yet. I did not read it, but apparently it is pretty popular and well received, as it not another typical shonen, but a story about young actress, where each arc is about another production she takes part in.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    i didn't find code geass to be very good in the first place and i think it inexplicable that anyone would want to drag it out further, much less an entire decade

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Today I was surprised to see in my Kindle recommendations a release for Shed your Skin, Ryugasaki-san! (cover is not safe for work).

I was under the impression that it was a webcomic or pixiv comic or something and would never get licensed, but apparently a new company called Kaiten Books just started up and released it as one of their first two books.

It's a high school rom-com, except the lead girl is a lizard woman (which, while rare, is apparently a normally accepted thing in this setting). She's energetic and popular, and secretly a total weirdo. She's in love with the unpopular lead guy who is also a total weirdo in that he is obsessed with lizards and collects lizard molt. When she sheds her skin, he's tries to secretly collect her molt to build a replica of her. However, she is fully aware of this and leaves her shedded skin where he can get it. When he's nearly completed the replica, she appears in his room and finally confronts him. They start dating, but at first he's only interested in being with her to collect her molt before eventually realizing he loves her too.

It's mostly cute hijinks between the two, usually involving her lizard physiology. However, there are a few NSFW bits, such as the replica usually being nude.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I confuse code geass and code lyoko in my head constantly...

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I glanced at the remake's previews, and it looks like an IG Production show. Very high budget. Has anyone watched it?

I have! I like it a lot! It is Very Pretty, and seems plenty smart etc. It's worth noting i've never ever watched the original, so i cannot compare and contrast. But i really do like it a fair bit and hope we get more.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    new chapter of <<Frieren at the Funeral>>
    time passes slowly for elves and demons but magical advancement goes on
    what was new and destructive is now commonplace and easily countered

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    i didn't find code geass to be very good in the first place and i think it inexplicable that anyone would want to drag it out further, much less an entire decade

Decade plans are mostly huge lies. Every brand likes to say they have a decade or a whole franchise lined up. In reality, this almost always means "we have real plans for one product with a normal lifespan, but would like the money and support for a decade long dynasty, if our backers will oblige."

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Let. Stories. END.

This obsession with IP is the thing that rots away the soul of a creative piece.

The #1 reason I actually got into anime was because most of it does end properly, and are typically much shorter than most western animation. So I wholeheartedly concur.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Let. Stories. END.

The #1 reason I actually got into anime was because most of it does end properly, and are typically much shorter than most western animation. So I wholeheartedly concur.

Well, as long as the anime is not based on an ongoing manga or light novel series. In those cases, you're probably stuck with an open ending and a (likely) futile hope for future seasons. If you're lucky, the resolution of whatever arcs the anime covers can feel like a complete package though.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Let. Stories. END.

Macross / Gundam have good solutions, which is to do a Star Trek and keep the setting basics but either timeskip or reboot with a new cast. That's all it takes sometimes to keep things fresh.

Like, for a brief shining moment, Macross Frontier was bigger than EVA.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I've never watched Black Lagoon, but if the sub is anywhere near as good as Cowboy Bebop's, maybe I should check it out.

I love Black Lagoon, but I also recognize that it is very very very of its time and more than a bit edgelordy, but I'm a big sucker for a great action scene and some of those action scenes are all-timers.

Dub-wise, it's great. Maryke Hendrikse starts out a bit rough for Revy, but after a few episodes Maryke grew into my default Revy voice. Everyone else does great and comes to play from the start, though.

Its not so much of its time as it is of like, 1986.

Its verrry 80s action movie cocaine logic

I forget when it was made but I could’ve sworn Black Lagoon was set some time during the 90s. The cocaine logic point still stands.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Let. Stories. END.

Macross / Gundam have good solutions, which is to do a Star Trek and keep the setting basics but either timeskip or reboot with a new cast. That's all it takes sometimes to keep things fresh.

Like, for a brief shining moment, Macross Frontier was bigger than EVA.

Ugh. The only thing good about Macross Frontier was the VF-25 design.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Well Star Trek is a bit of a different beast as it is typically episodic as opposed to more long form story telling. I would say that anime more often than not does not end... well. Mainly in the sense of if it's adapted from a manga the way manga has traditionally been serialized mean that most manga authors have to end their manga out of the blue basically, and also because the answer whether or not an adaptation will be profitable enough to adapt a whole manga, or even have a finished manga to work on is a big if. Like in the 90s most anime that I think ended pretty well were either original IPs or took heavy creative liberties with the original material to make the story with with an incomplete manga or limited anime adaptation.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Frontier was probably the single most popular Macross series since the original, and arguably put the series on the map beyond just mecha fans. Like, Frontier was a huge, huge deal in Japan. And a career launcher for the singers.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'd probably have so many opinions about post-original-series Macross if Harmony Gold fell into a hellmouth

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    And in terms of stories that actually end, I just finished rewatching all of Stand Alone Complex and 2nd Gig.

The new Netflix series doesn't hold a candle to it. It's still got another season, but... I feel like they wasted a lot of runtime on that first arc instead of doing more stand alone episodes. The tempo of the original series was better, in that they drop hints and pieces every few episodes before the final four or five episodes show the climax and conclusion. It conveys the feeling of a long investigation well, since the main story thread is broken up by all the smaller incidents that may or may not be related.

Although 2nd Gig has one glaring inconsistency at the end, in that it has Motoko uncertain about a plan that's something she already did once in SAC.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Watch the Solid State Society movie if you can. It takes place a bit after 2nd Gig.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I'd probably have so many opinions about post-original-series Macross if Harmony Gold fell into a hellmouth

Remember how Tatsunoko had the opportunity to let the rights lapse in 2021 and then instead signed another deal with Harmony Gold? For 35 more years?

Pepperidge Farms remembers

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

We were almost free then somehow they fucking got the rights again

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Remember how Tatsunoko had the opportunity to let the rights lapse in 2021 and then instead signed another deal with Harmony Gold? For 35 more years?

What sort of blackmail material do they have on those Japanese executives?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Naphtali wrote: »

What sort of blackmail material do they have on those Japanese executives?

I would love some sort of deep-dive on this topic in all honesty. I think it has something to do with the court case when they tried to get out of it in 2017 and were unsuccessful, AFAIK.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Good News!

Let. Stories. END.

See: Madoka Magica and Steins;Gate.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I’m still baffled at how Tatsunoko can still sell HG the rights

I thought this was settled! You don’t own the IP, it’s Studio Nue’s!

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    I’m still baffled at how Tatsunoko can still sell HG the rights

I thought this was settled! You don’t own the IP, it’s Studio Nue’s!

oh, that's why then. "you're going to pay us for something we don't own, and the courts upheld the original contract so it fucks over all other title holders? okay."

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    It was a long time ago, but I remember reading that season two of Code Geass was going to be radically different from what we got, but was swapped to an earlier time slot with a younger target audience and they had to change plans.

I'm very fuzzy on the details, but I distinctly thinking it sounded much more interesting and darker than what we got.

Still amazed season two managed to go from being completely off the rails to a surprisingly decent ending for what I was expecting.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Kelor wrote: »
    It was a long time ago, but I remember reading that season two of Code Geass was going to be radically different from what we got, but was swapped to an earlier time slot with a younger target audience and they had to change plans.

I'm very fuzzy on the details, but I distinctly thinking it sounded much more interesting and darker than what we got.

Still amazed season two managed to go from being completely off the rails to a surprisingly decent ending for what I was expecting.

As for the second season, you may be interested to know that the Code Geass movies largely blaze right through the first half of it. We're shown Suzaku's point of view during most of that time and don't go back to Lelouch until he's leading the attack on the secret Geass research facility.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    HBO Max is now live, and as a happy unexpected addition it also has a collection of Crunchyroll offerings.

So now I'm starting 'Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!'

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Watch the Solid State Society movie if you can. It takes place a bit after 2nd Gig.

Another thing to track down? Ugh. :rotate:

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    domestic girlfriend ends next week and so does my suffering

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    your suffering is not allowed to end

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    ah shit

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    Announcing next week, Two Brand New Series!

Domestic Wife
    &
    Domestic Mistress

Look forward to it!

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    DECA-DENCE | Official Teaser Trailer 1:!5
    https://youtu.be/zR4M-LBKX7I

The newest original anime by Death Parade director, Yuzuru Tachikawa, shows us the world atop a giant moving fortress. 💥
    DECA-DENCE is coming to Funimation this summer!

This discussion has been closed.