As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Keep your human antivirus up to date

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Had one in my cart on newegg, but went out of stock before my cart page finished loading up at 9:01, everywhere else went straight to sold out for me.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Best I can think of would be for companies to limit 1 per Credit Card number. That way botters would have to sign up for a ton of credit cards if they are going to suck up stock. Sadly it would be on Newegg, Amazon, and co to implement such a thing.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    From checking some of the early AIB videos it may be good to wait a little bit. So far I've seen reviews of the TUF, Gaming X Trio, and Eagle and they're all coming in faster, and either cooler or quieter (and sometimes both). The FE doesn't appear to be a bad card, but the AIBs have definite improvements with some being better than others.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Best I can think of would be for companies to limit 1 per Credit Card number. That way botters would have to sign up for a ton of credit cards if they are going to suck up stock. Sadly it would be on Newegg, Amazon, and co to implement such a thing.

And they have zero incentive to. They sell them... they don't care if it's to bots or the rest of us.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    It honestly should be tied to credit card or you have to input some sort of key to verify you're an actual buyer. I'm not sure if that would alleviate things like this but it should certainly slow things down. Between the servers getting hammered and auto-buyers average person just doesn't have much of a shot here.

. . .the hilarious thing is that they'll still be able to sell the 2080's at these stupid prices because technically there's no cheaper option available. Win-Win. . .for retailers that is.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Gonna try brick and mortar stores when they open at 10

There is a line lol

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options

There is a line lol

They've been lined up since last night.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular

There is a line lol

They've been lined up since last night.

Once the bots found a way to download their consciousness this was inevitable. They'll buy all the stock before the doors even open.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I think if you haven't got one by now you'll be waiting for the second wave of stock

I'm not convinced anyone who isn't a bot actually got one.

I think EVGA said they are putting theirs on sale around 10 PST? So maybe check back with amazon around then. I kinda wanted a Founders edition but I'll take an EVGA one.
    I really, really preferred the pre-order system. Put me in line whenever my request goes through, reserve that one for me for 24 hours, move on.

This is a fucking bot lottery.

It's not like Nvidia cares. AMD's not waiting in the wings with something even remotely competitive...
    The whole thing fucking sucks.

A bold claim

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    I think if you haven't got one by now you'll be waiting for the second wave of stock

I think EVGA said they are putting theirs on sale around 10 PST? So maybe check back with amazon around then. I kinda wanted a Founders edition but I'll take an EVGA one.
    I really, really preferred the pre-order system. Put me in line whenever my request goes through, reserve that one for me for 24 hours, move on.

It's not like Nvidia cares. AMD's not waiting in the wings with something even remotely competitive...

A bold claim

I can't remember the last time AMD's had something competitive against the 80 series. Pretty much the only place they're competitive is mid-tier cards where they can win in price per performance stuff.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Best Buy was online only?!

Welp time to bike to microcenter

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Local microcenters here stock was spoken for by lines last night by 9pm

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    So... how long do we suppose it will be before cards will be available to us non-bot-using dirty masses?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    So... how long do we suppose it will be before cards will be available to us non-bot-using dirty masses?

Open speculation: February

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah closest for me was on newegg, I couple times I could add to cart but then would remove it. I actually think it was a bug and it was never in stock lol.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Can't blame it all on retailers.

Stupid people keep on feeding the bot/scalper system.

c5uf1jtcyv58.jpg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvida-RTX-3080-Founders-Edition-Pre-Order/303693730115?bhl=1

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Can't blame it all on retailers.

Stupid people keep on feeding the bot/scalper system.

c5uf1jtcyv58.jpg
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nvida-RTX-3080-Founders-Edition-Pre-Order/303693730115?bhl=1

I can't help but think those are people who have no intention at all of paying. There are some going for 25K.

. . .also what an unfortunate "incognito" name from EBAY.

ED! on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Hey I just learned that the AIO's in both my PC's are installed incorrectly, despite installing them as per the instructions. :rotate:

Lets say I get the mini-itx mobo and put it in my Fractal R5, and for the time being use the AIO I've got. Apparently having the radiator on top with the lines coming from the bottom on the CPU is ideal. Lets say I can swing that, and there aren't any space issues that prevents it from fitting up there. Cool. Where else, in my case, would I want a fan or three? The radiator above the motherboard, it seems obvious that I'd want the fans pointing to push the hot air outside the case...unless I guess maybe I could mount the fans above the radiator and push cold air down through it? What is ideal there? And elsewhere in the case, I can mount on the front and back, and I think even unde the PSU. Under the case is carpet, so that doesn't seem like it'd be helpful. The front of the case has space for two fans but they face the closed front door of the case, and the only air they can pull or push comes through two side vents running up and down the front case panel. There's a spot for a side mounted fan that would be roughly where the GPU is. I'd just like a quiet, cool, case. I realize that the GPU fans are never going to be as quiet as I want, and this isn't a card (I'm to understand) that is really able to be deshrouded and replace the fans and/or heatsink because of some sketchy decisions EVGA made, and I can't afford to dork it up trying.

Is there kind of an accepted generally "best" way to orientate your fans throughout your case, these days, directions, locations, etc?

Fighting thermodynamics is not ideal. The usual configuration is this for standard Tower and Midi-Tower: Front = Intake; Back and Top = Exhaust , Sidepanel = Intake (Reason is that in most PC cases you would suck out the cool air coming from the front before it reaches all components). PSU is usually isolated and has its own airflow from the bottom to the rear of the PSU. If you fear dust buildup and depries you can install a filter. Usually the Define R5 PC case should already have one. According to many system builders it doesn't matter much in big towers which direction the air flows over the radiator, as long as the fans on it are not fighting themself. I would go with the above configuration.

Fractal design PC case: you can keep the door closed, it gets enough air through the side vents

Fans: I would go for more / stronger Intake than exhaust to create a positive pressure. This will also keep the PC more dust free.

Carpet: Please put your case on anything besides carpet. Even if you get one Ikea shelf board and 4 standoffs and put it on there its miles better than putting it directly on carpet. Carpet collects anything: Pet hair, dead skins, eerie ghosts and lots of dust.

Ok, so exhaust up top, front intake, exhaust in the back. I think that's how I have it right now, minus the radiator being in the front instead of the top. I'm not sure if I tried the top here; I know I had tried in my previous PC (which was a Define R4) and I couldn't fit it above the mobo because the fans touched the RAM, so I didn't bother here. I watched a video last night from (I want to say optimum tech?) talking about AIO orientation and how even the manufacturer diagrams for installation are misleading and can cause failure. I haven't had any problems, so I've been lucky, I guess, but I have my set to have the CPU part with the tubes down and the radiator mounted in front with the tubes at the top (which is apparently, after their testing, the second worst setup after having the radiator below the CPU).

I always keep the front closed, and I don't really have any choice but put it on the carpet. I guess I could just use some extra IKEA stuff (maybe the keyboard shelf I didn't use) and make a "shelf", but I blow out and vacuum (with soft brush) my PC every couple months, so it stays pretty damn clean in there; the Fractal dust covers help immensely. But when I tried to keep it on my desktop, besides being an eyesore, the vibration from the case just amplified its sound too much and drove me nuts. Now, though, I have too much other stuff on my desk to have a place for it if I even wanted to. Getting a SFF case would obviously change that, though it would make the problem return of noise...however I'm not sure it'd be more noise than the PS4 at full blast. :rotate:
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Jeebus, self control is hard.

I said a couple days ago I was thinking of upgrading my cpu/mobo/ram instead of getting a next gen console, since I'd end up with something as, or more, powerful than them, and more versatile.

Well, when I look at these things, I also start getting in my head it'd be awesome to have a SFF PC, which for the 3 parts I mentioned, isn't a big deal; the ASUS ROG ITX X570 board isn't much more expensive than the equivalent ATX. But then I need the case, one that can fit a 2080ti (the evga 2.75 slot one, so it narrows down the compatible cases significantly, that are cases that aren't so large that it defeats the purpose of going small), and then an SFX PSU that can run the ti, and those two components are like $200-300 total more than the other parts (at least, the M1 is $200 and the corsair 600w SFX is $150), so what would be ~the same price as a new console is suddenly the price of two new consoles. :lol:

Of course I can just use the case I have, and I have an unopened H60 AIO cooler in the closet that I bought on accident and didn't return for reasons I can't recall anymore. It is kind of a pointless AIO, but whatever, it looks cool. I can use the PSU I have, it is way overboard for what I need. but I want tiny!

According to newegg my R5 can mount a mini-itx motherboard...maybe I should still get the mini-itx in case I find a small case that suits my needs down the road and want to move to that.

Is there any potential problem with that I'm not foreseeing? It should still work with a normal power supply, right? I guess the IO plate might not be right? Looking at it, it should match up fine, and I can't imagine they'd say it was compatible if it didn't fit in a way that the GPU still aligned with the slots on the case...

Might be a good time to replace fans with quieter ones and maybe add one or two for better flow. It isn't like it is super noisy, but still.

EDIT: this shit is why people just get consoles :lol:

EDIT EDIT: Oh and I figure I might as well get another 1TB SSD, because I'm constantly full on my current one and why not. I thought maybe an external or a spinning drive might be better for space, but even for "secondary" storage, I don't know if I can go back to not-SSD speeds anymore. Is there any meaningful advantage of an M2 over a 2.5 SSD? I guess if the NVME stuff that the XBSX and PS5 are using transitions over to PC, it might matter?

Where to start. Usually you have to put more thought what kind of components to buy before attempting an SFF ITX build, instead of throwing ATX leftovers in there. Especially everything RTX 2070 and above, with an open air form factor will dump a lot of heat into the system. For example I had a GTX 1080 and alter a RTX 2070 in a small Desktop case which can take full ATX components + full lengh GPUs and it wasn't pretty before I started removing hard drive bays, adding fans and optimizing the airflow.
    Having build a few SFF PCs before, (in the cube SFF variety) nowadays I would use a case which separates the GPU entirely. Like the Fractal Node 202. This means you can a) remove / swap the GPU without touching other components or having to disassemble the entire build, b) the GPU itself doesn't interfere with other PC components like heatsink, cables, fans. c) The GPU has its own cooling system / compartment d) the case appears small enough, so you still have the benefits of size reduction.

The node appears to only take SFX PSUs. The case itself is pretty old now, there might be other vendors with updated or better products.

Oh, it wouldn't be slapdash, I think I just wasn't clear having posted pretty tired.

I wouldn't be attempting to throw in ATX stuff into an ITX box, and I've spent a silly amount of time looking into fine details of whether my GPU can fit into what boxes and what hardware I need. What I'd be doing now, if I don't get a SFF ITX case/PSU when I get a new mobo/cpu/ram, is throwing the ITX mobo into an ATX case, so if I get an ITX case down the road, I would only need it, and an SFX PSU to make the transition. (EDIT: and a CPU fan, but I've already found one I really like that I used in my kids SFF builds recently, a low profile noctua; as I obviously can't move an AIO over, unless the ITX case was so large that it (to me) defeats the purpose) Ideally I'd replace the fans in my ATX case with ones that could move into an ITX case easily for better thermals (and it might mean switching some of the 140's to 120's, but I need to do a bit more research there), and have an idea of what specific case I might want. People have fit the 2080ti I have into the Node 202, and that's kind of up there in my choices, but the specific board I have can't be deshrouded and it's height means even low profile fans can't fit between it and the case, so I'd probably want to undervolt the card slightly for thermal reasons. Which is fine, because I play at 1080p anyway, so it'd be rare the absolute max performance is even necessary.

Anyway, trust me, it isn't a slapdash move; I've looked into this several times in the past year, so I've done my research; it just comes across here like it's random and not well planned, because I usually get a hold of myself before I spend the money and then push the idea in the back of my mind, but whenever I look at upgrading PC parts, I end up wanting to upgrade all the things!. :lol:

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

A bold claim

I can't remember the last time AMD's had something competitive against the 80 series. Pretty much the only place they're competitive is mid-tier cards where they can win in price per performance stuff.

When was the last time NVIDIA offered actual price/performance in the 80s? They are only bringing it this time because their hand was forced.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Oops

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

A bold claim

When was the last time NVIDIA offered actual price/performance in the 80s? They are only bringing it this time because their hand was forced.

...both the 1080 and the 3080. The 2080 didn't. My memory of the 6xx, 7xx, and 9xx series is pretty fuzzy.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Well, instead of trying to buy a 3080 I had to deal with a break in, robbery, 911, and the police. Really not the way I would have liked to start my morning. I went to bed and woke up with the feeling today was going to be a rather odd day and it certainly has been.

Not being able to get a card means I'll just try and get one when I build a new computer in the next few months when Ryzen 3 is out. This might work out for the better as more AIB cards and waterblocks for them come out. If the AIB cards end up being better than the FE it may be worth the wait anyways.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited September 2020

A bold claim

...both the 1080 and the 3080. The 2080 didn't. My memory of the 6xx, 7xx, and 9xx series is pretty fuzzy.

They were all p good

The 20 series is kind of an odd man out

jungleroomx on
  • Options

My guess is before Cyberpunk.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Cormac :bro:

Hope everyone is okay and make sure you talk to someone if you can't sleep well

• Options

Yeah. My plan was always to upgrade before CP77, but it would have been nice to get some 4K/60FPS gaming in before then.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So this appears to have gone about as well as everyone anticipated.

I really wonder why no one did a preorder option.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

I really hope so.

EDIT: And the PCIe 4.0 NVE and AMD's Zen 3 lol.

Trajan45 on
    Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I didn't get one either but I'm not too worried yet. Still have probably about a month to try to snag one as they get restocked, at which point I assume I will also be doing this same dance with CPUs.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

I think this was the outcome Nvidia wanted, "instantly out of stock" is great for stock prices

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I think this was the outcome Nvidia wanted, "instantly out of stock" is great for stock prices

I'm not sure all the bad press from "...because they're all being scalped on eBay for ten thousand dollars" will be, though. I guess we'll see!

• Options

I'm not sure all the bad press from "...because they're all being scalped on eBay for ten thousand dollars" will be, though. I guess we'll see!

That impacts consumers, something investors really don't give a shit about

• Options
    Awww so close. I actually had an "add to cart" button for one at Bestbuy for a moment, but then got the "there was an error adding an item to your cart" error when I tried. :(

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Anyone know if theyve come and gone on Amazon already or has Amazon not started selling them yet? I'm getting conflicting info

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

A bold claim

Their hand was forced by what? A card that all AMD has done is post dumb shit to Twitter about? I guess we're all being, what was the word AMD used, "jebaited"? If AMD had something to say, they'd say it. Instead they are waiting until almost a month after the 3070 launches to utter a peep of real official information, beyond what the cooler looks like. The idea that a professional marketing or engineering team would "jebait" everyone by letting them hype up and buy Nvidia cards then suddenly release a serious competitor, a month later, is silly on the face of it. If they had a serious competitor, they'd be talking about it right now to try and steal Nvidia's thunder and make sure you didn't buy a 30 series card until Big Navi was here. Instead they are singing show tunes on Twitter.

Nvidia is fighting itself at this point and the reason their price to performance is good this time is because they got ROASTED over the 20 series. Not just roasted but it sold like crap and Jensen got raked over the coals by investors over it. You can find him basically admitting that in their investor calls.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The 20 series sold like crap?

angrycatgood.jpg

Those prices were ridiculous, and the performance did in no way justify them.

edit: and yeah, they're definitely competing with themselves. I need a good reason to upgrade beyond my 1080 Ti. Sounds like the 3080 may have the performance to justify it...though the availability means I'm I'm not getting one for at least 3-6 months, even if I were to decide I wanted one now.

Orca on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »

A bold claim

Their hand was forced by what? A card that all AMD has done is post dumb shit to Twitter about? I guess we're all being, what was the word AMD used, "jebaited"? If AMD had something to say, they'd say it. Instead they are waiting until almost a month after the 3070 launches to utter a peep of real official information, beyond what the cooler looks like. The idea that a professional marketing or engineering team would "jebait" everyone by letting them hype up and buy Nvidia cards then suddenly release a serious competitor, a month later, is silly on the face of it. If they had a serious competitor, they'd be talking about it right now to try and steal Nvidia's thunder and make sure you didn't buy a 30 series card until Big Navi was here. Instead they are singing show tunes on Twitter.

Nvidia is fighting itself at this point and the reason their price to performance is good this time is because they got ROASTED over the 20 series. Not just roasted but it sold like crap and Jensen got raked over the coals by investors over it. You can find him basically admitting that in their investor calls.

It doesn't matter tooooo much, the value to Nvidia from investors has less to do with the graphics chips they make in 2020, their AI solutions are being sold as a money printing machine in the years to come

override367 on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

A bold claim

It also has waaaaay more to do with new console releases than literally anything else.

Which someone might say is because those consoles are using cheap AMD cards but that's really not what's going on at all.

Like, I can pay $35/month and have a new Xbox and gamepass. That's the competition.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yes, consoles are the main competition, no doubt about that.

And lest I forgot to project some of my ire to Nvidia this morning: This 3080 order situation is a grade A joke. The fact that not a single person in this thread has gotten one, and the prices on ebay, means they all basically got snatched up by bots, and I refuse to believe Nvida didn't know that would happen.

Supposedly PC Gamer says Nvidia and partners are shipping new cards "every day", so I hope everyone who wants one gets one sooner than later.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.