As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    It's an absolute clown fiesta of a mode, too. It's unchanged from Dungeon Run so the power delta between decks based purely on offering RNG is gigaaantic.
    And then it's also partially P2W since it's going to be based on having a deep Wild Constructed collection for creating your starting deck. It's like they're taking the worst aspects of constructed, arena, and dungeon runs and smashing them together into one Voltron supersuck mode that I will never touch beyond free/forced runs.

• Options
    The Judge wrote: »
    sld090mbr6j2.png

Good art choice for this kind of rabbit.
    For those not in the know, this is based on The Darkmoon Rabbit from WoW. Which itself is of course based on the white rabbit of Monty Python fame.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    The Judge wrote: »
    sld090mbr6j2.png

Good art choice for this kind of rabbit.
    For those not in the know, this is based on The Darkmoon Rabbit from WoW. Which itself is of course based on the white rabbit of Monty Python fame.

“He's got huge, sharp-- eh-- he can leap about-- look at the bones!”

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Duels are a race to who gets the infinitely recurring broken ass shit first

Like the goggles, the 'everything costs half mana' cloak etc

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Why is the rabbit 10 mana though? Surely it should cost like 7-8 mana at most since it's basically minion-based removal.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Why is the rabbit 10 mana though? Surely it should cost like 7-8 mana at most since it's basically minion-based removal.

A Rush/Poisonous/Cleave is insanely fucking strong because that's killing three minions, any minions. It has to cost 10. There are numerous other potentially gamebreaking things that could happen if it cost less.

If it cost 8, for example, a Hunter could slam that and then use that 2 mana card that revives all Beasts that died this turn to kill six things!

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

A Rush/Poisonous/Cleave is insanely fucking strong because that's killing three minions, any minions. It has to cost 10. There are numerous other potentially gamebreaking things that could happen if it cost less.

If it cost 8, for example, a Hunter could slam that and then use that 2 mana card that revives all Beasts that died this turn to kill six things!

that doesn't sound that impressive in modern hearthstone

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The rabbit is a pretty amazing pull from evolve or recruit effects if you’re trying to fight for board control

Obviously it’s terrible if you’re just looking for a beefy stat-stick to go face with next turn.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I can spend 9 with a priest silence and kill everything. I can also spend 8 with warlock and kill everything. 10 is a lot, it’s something that needs to be cheated out honestly.

• Options
    To be fair, the rabbit doesn't kill your own board, so maybe it fits into a different kind of deck than control priest/warlock.

That said, it's not exactly "kill any 3 minions", since taunts and such can limit your attack options, and it won't kill Divine Shield minions.

10 mana cards have to be really good to warrant inclusion, and this one doesn't quite seem good enough to me to see play. Maybe some crazy deck will find a use for it though.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    im surprised that it's 10 but a neutral card that is in most cases 'battlecry: kill 3 minions' needs to be at least 7

I'm struggling to think of any neutral minions with such a powerful clear outside of deathwing

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Batterhead is like kill 3 minions with 3 health or less for 8? I’d say this is better then that for clearing power but you’re probably left with a minion with batterhead.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Many 10 drops fail because they are big and "powerful" but have no immediate impact (e.g., Colossus of the Moon). The Rabbit is the complete opposite, as it does have immediate impact thanks to Rush and its obviously useful text, but it will almost always be dead by the end of the turn it's played so it's not a threat. Obviously Team 5 was scared of its potential impact as a Neutral and went very conservative on the mana cost.

• Options

that doesn't sound that impressive in modern hearthstone

I never said it was good, just that it was a strong effect and warrants a 10 mana cost

But no, it's not very good and it won't see play!

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    It's a 10-mana 1/1 - they were going to get to it at some point.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    It’s probably not the worst 10 mana card, but, it’s not great.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    here are some tips from day 1 of duels since i haven't been able to find resources anywhere:

- build aggressive, lean on burn and tempo, you start with 16 cards and you absolutely cannot afford to play any kind of stall/control strategy (likewise don't run any card draw)
    - lean on your wild collection, a lot of old brokenly good cards like haunted creeper, sludge belcher and loatheb are available, craft and use them
    - hope you get the good treasures and not the bad ones???? this might just be an issue with early access having an extremely limited pool

i've gone 12 with warrior, mage and paladin (it kicks you out after 12 like arena, and i think this will have an arena ticket style entry fee out of early access)

PS an amusing thing i've found is that the warrior rush pool consists of exactly 3 minions, which you will get offered every single time with athletic studies: broom, fishy flyer and dr krastinov

a lot of discover cards are essentially tutors with the card pool being so insanely restricted

Beasteh on
  • Options
    Duels seems kinda neat, but, very very sparse at the moment. With only one selectable Hero Power and Treasure, there's not much variety yet.

Seems like the kinda thing that might get solved rather quickly, too. Like people will probly figure out the best 16 cards each time.

At least, as it is right now. When other HPs and Treasures unlock I imagine we'll see more of a dynamic meta start to evolve, but.

It's a cool premise, just a bit lacking atm

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    - lean on your wild collection, a lot of old brokenly good cards like haunted creeper, sludge belcher and loatheb are available, craft and use them
    Team 5 when they designed this mode:
    15-151760_entrepreneur-with-dollar-signs-in-eyes-dollar-sign.png

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Here is my prediction on how this goes: massive hype for a few weeks after release. Streamers who never played Dungeon Run will hype it up and call it "crazy fun" and "pretty replayable," streamers who did will get bored quickly. Within a couple months even the former group will realize it's just Arena but with even more impactful RNG deckbuilding, and 4-6 months after release the mode will be even more dead than Arena.

• Options
    ...I don’t play very much regular mode. And I have 10k dust and 5k gold . I think for the next expansion I might just get the battlegrounds pass, because that’s just what I like to play.

• Options
    Here is my prediction on how this goes: massive hype for a few weeks after release. Streamers who never played Dungeon Run will hype it up and call it "crazy fun" and "pretty replayable," streamers who did will get bored quickly. Within a couple months even the former group will realize it's just Arena but with even more impactful RNG deckbuilding, and 4-6 months after release the mode will be even more dead than Arena.

Yeah it's a fucking clown fiesta

You build your deck and get offered meager treasures and buckets and run up against someone who has Robes of Gaudiness and a bunch of big ass fuckin boys and ridiculous stuff and it's just

It is entirely reliant on luck. Straight up.

Why the fuck is a 0 mana vanilla 1/1 a fucking Treasure, what.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

You build your deck and get offered meager treasures and buckets and run up against someone who has Robes of Gaudiness and a bunch of big ass fuckin boys and ridiculous stuff and it's just

Seriously? One of the treasures is a Wisp?

• Options
    ElCdCdYW0AAC7wW.jpg

I had a really poor start as Al'akir. I knew straight away, I wasn't gonna win this lobby. I had to adapt, and I saw two Wrath Weavers and froze for them. Tripled them into a Floating Watcher. Found some Jugglers way later, didn't find the Imprisoners til even later.... But it was enough to get me 3rd place, based off a really poor start.

I'm getting a lot better at playing for Top 4! I think that's a super important skill for climbing in BGs these days.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020

DUKXdPx.png

Yes.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think there's a payoff for having him later maybe? Like Hilt and Blade of Quel'Dalar? I dunno.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

DUKXdPx.png

Yes.

Yeah, if there's not a combo card (specific to Bigglesworth or enabled by a 0 mana 1/1), then that's just your standard, "Let's add a worthless random treasure! LOL! People will love it!"

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    That reminds me it's now been over a week since the BG patch, so we can see how things have shaken out in the HSReplay stats.

Overall, we now have a much less toxic tier 1 (i.e., more than one hero), with a handful of stronger heroes, but no one blowing away the entire rest of the field. Instead of the #1 hero having an unprecedented ~3.0 average placement, the best heroes are now sitting around 4.0, which should be healthier for BGs in general. Omu continues to surprise by now being the #1 hero overall (granted, it's close).

As far as the heroes that were explicitly changed:

The Ragnaros nerfs seemed to be just right if the point was to get his pick rate below 90% and keep him strong without being OP. He's right now hanging around the middle of the tier 1 pack.

Maiev's nerf weakened her a bit without hitting too hard, she's still hanging out in tier 1 close to Ragnaros. This makes sense, because although her hero power lost 50% of its stat potency, most of her actual power in the long run comes in the economic advantage her power gives, rather than the stats.

The Chenvaala buff was enough to push her from absolute dumpster tier toward the middle of the pack. As I expected, though, her placement continues to be an inverse bell curve, since she either whiffs on finding Elementals and bombs out in 7th/8th in a third of her games, or she hits the elementals and rockets up to a significantly above average 1st place finish rate. I imagine her placement rate is at least partially inflated right now by Elementals being pretty strong, in particular, leveling up to 4/5 fast and getting a Djinni (this was just nerfed so it will take some time to see how she shifts), which of course her hero power was well suited for. Maybe she'll drop down in ranks now that Djinni has been nerfed.

Patchwerk's buff has taken him from somewhere in the pile of tier 4 heroes up toward the middle of the pack with Chenvaala. I can't confirm the old data and I'm just going from memory so I could be wrong, but I think his old pick rate was in the 3-4% range, and he's now around 10%. At least for the last week, he's been getting picked significantly more than he used to be, as more people seem willing to give the big guy a shot.

Sindragosa has shot up from somewhere in tier 4 to "officially better than average". She has a very bell shaped placement curve now, and unsurprisingly her early game is very strong now. It seems to be so strong, in fact, that her 8th place finish rate rivals Lich King, the previous king of not finishing 8th.

Mukla has of course moved up from his buff, but is still considered (high) tier 4. As I predicted, he is still not good.

• Options
    edited October 2020

DUKXdPx.png

Yes.

Yeah, if there's not a combo card (specific to Bigglesworth or enabled by a 0 mana 1/1), then that's just your standard, "Let's add a worthless random treasure! LOL! People will love it!"
    Wizard Duel (Beta) (for the next year...)

forty on
  • Options
    Oh derp, I forgot to comment on Jandice. Just the removal of Pogo-Hopper has seen her drop from the 2nd best hero behind broken Rag all the way down to tier 2. That's pretty telling about how stupid it would have been to keep Pogo-Hopper around and nerfing Jandice directly.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Considering the hoops you have to jump through to get Mr. Bigglesworth in constructed, I would expect some kind of secret here too. Although not necessarily a useful one.

• Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/jglkzc/mr_bigglesworth_as_a_treasure_in_duels/

According to Reddit, no one can seem to figure out if Biggie Smalls fucking does jack shit

It's probably just some stupid joke/dud that they tossed in cause "it tells a story" or w/e the fuck they like to spout off about purposely bad cards, sigh

Also, Robes of Gaudiness got removed, already! That's... quite good that they did it that fast, but I'm also not sure how in the fuck they thought it was balanced to begin with...

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Worth noting that all three of my 12 win runs were robes of gaudiness

I think there might be a pattern there but I just can't see it

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Well, I am excited for dungeon runs because I love deck building games, like Slay the Spire. This is in beta now so of course there’s some terrible decisions, because Team 5 testing. They’ve become very responsive to the metagame after years of resisting and I think it has made a better game. So I don’t worry too much about them ignoring community data.

There’s some stupid shit for sure. The warlock hero power. The cat. But they will make adjustments. Not to mention we can’t even see 90% of the progression.

I think there is space for this mode to succeed. It’s not a default “clown fiesta” anymore than standard, arena or battlegrounds. Its success depends on what Team 5 does with it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Fun fact band of bees makes wild pyro/risky skipper kind of nutty

• Options
    edited October 2020
    https://outof.cards/hearthstone/2072-hearthstones-liv-breeden-and-cora-georgiou-talk-darkmoon-faire-balance-progression-duels-and-more

Article about some dev insights with Darkmoon Faire
    It's probably just some stupid joke/dud that they tossed in cause "it tells a story" or w/e the fuck they like to spout off about purposely bad cards, sigh
    They settled on the current version of Corrupt because they liked how through the keyword, they can tell a story.

WHAT DID I FUCKIN SAY THO

GOD THEY REALLY LIKE USING THAT AND IT ANNOYS ME SO MUCH

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    With the way they've done the art between normal and corrupted though, it does actually tell a story. It's somewhat similar to MTG's dual-faced cards.

200?cb=20201023114434200?cb=20201023174405

200?cb=20201023114447200?cb=20201023174408

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I mean, Vorthos is an actual player profile and it's worth designing with them in mind.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    oh okay Robes are still in on mobile I guess cause i just went 12-0 with Hunter that had the "first Deathrattle played each turn triggers" Treasure plus a bunch of big fatties and Cubes and, yup, Robes

clown. fiesta. Lmao

Edit:

ohhhh

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    • You will get cards from the mini-set via Madness at the Darkmoon Faire card packs.
    • Mini-sets are to keep players engaged throughout the entire expansion cycle and have something new for returning and current players alike.
    • They want to make things feel fresh more often.
    More like they want to make things feel fre$$$h more often.