As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread of [Mana]

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I’m running Angela, Reisz, and Charlotte. The latter most was to have a dedicated healer, but four hours in I’m not sure about that.

Otherwise, broadly liking the game so far. The gameplay of the original always drove me away - I know it was similar to Secret of Mana’s, but it always felt much clunkier. The remake is a weird combination of modern conveniences and 16-bit game design that works really well so far.

Edit: I think it really helps that they’re generous with the item pick-ups. Everywhere you go there’s some minor treasure, so you’re encouraged to actually explore. NPC’s sometimes give you abilities, so you’re encouraged to talk to them. It’s all minor stuff, but it smooths over what might otherwise have been a little empty or simple.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Being forced to save-scum my game with the item seeds.

Having level 5 flower pot, 20 Gold seeds and 8 Rainbow seeds and Hawkeyes best gear just refuses to pop up.

I had Charlotte in her final gear for ages and Angela usually gets her pieces out of these 28 seeds but stupid Hawkeye and his stupid best body armor don't want to play nice.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Uuuugh. The item seed bullshit is still a thing?

How bad are the ???? Seeds?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

You get plenty by the time you finish the game. When you first get access to the mechanism that lets you do your second class change, you might have a seed or two, but it took me doing a few Benevodon dungeons (each one has a chest with a guaranteed ???? seed) before I could do an upgrade. Enemies in those dungeons have a small chance to drop ???? seeds as well.

The top end gear only drops from Gold and Rainbow seeds, and I just beat the game without getting Hawkeye's chest because I said fuck it.

Clearly it's not important, its just that completionist mentality in me.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

You get plenty by the time you finish the game. When you first get access to the mechanism that lets you do your second class change, you might have a seed or two, but it took me doing a few Benevodon dungeons (each one has a chest with a guaranteed ???? seed) before I could do an upgrade. Enemies in those dungeons have a small chance to drop ???? seeds as well.

The top end gear only drops from Gold and Rainbow seeds, and I just beat the game without getting Hawkeye's chest because I said fuck it.

Clearly it's not important, its just that completionist mentality in me.

Fun fact: They added an extra tier of gear above the old top ones that's also in the seed pool, but can't drop until you hit 4th tier classes in the postgame.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    After beating three bosses in seconds while taking zero damage, I must say that this remake is far easier than the original SFC title. I should probably increase the difficulty.

Enemies largely act the same as they did in the original game, but now have MMO-style attack telegraphs, and your characters can dodge like it's Dark Souls. It's weird being so grossly overpowered; I was dreading the Wind dungeons because of how brutal they were in the original, but now I just... cruised on through, no problem.

This isn't a bad thing, per se, but it is very weird.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    More than anything, I want it to just be a proof of concept. Yes, Final Fantasy went bananas in the PS era but people loved and still love the Mana games and want more of them. I'm genuinely enjoying this game and I loved SD3 a ton when I was little. I was bummed that there was no coop and I get that it couldn't warrant all out production values but even this is a good foundation for games of this series.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    if you told me this was a PS2 RPG i would 100% believe you, because it definitely plays like one.

it's good! that's praise, actually.

• Options
    Give me Sword of Mana with these combat systems.

• Options
    Sword of Mana was the Final Fantasy Adventures game with the weapons that did cool overworld things that was on the... Gameboy SP?

• Options
    Yep. It remade the first game with some stuff from the later games, like the Elemental Spirits and Cannon Travel, made magic function differently based on your weapon (Gloves for life), and made the maiden into a second playable character.

• Options
    I vaguely remember that one. I played it for a while, and then dropped it cold turkey. It was pretty much the last GB-SP game I played, I think.

I actually still have my GB-SP laying around here somewhere...

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Sword of Mana was pretty good, but I still like the original Final Fantasy Adventure a little better. I hope we get its 3D remake ported to a not-dead system at some point.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Cannons as a means of travel is delightful. They seem to get torn down as fast as they get set up though in this. But it's amusing.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know, so much of the game is retro I don't even mind the VAing that much. It fits the theme.

• Options
    All the VA oddity is forgiven because it's fun to play. I love me a good hack and slash.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Also, if it's goofy enough, that's good too. If it's entertaining (either as a great performance or a silly one), that's good, to me.

Enlong on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Being forced to save-scum my game with the item seeds.

Having level 5 flower pot, 20 Gold seeds and 8 Rainbow seeds and Hawkeyes best gear just refuses to pop up.

I had Charlotte in her final gear for ages and Angela usually gets her pieces out of these 28 seeds but stupid Hawkeye and his stupid best body armor don't want to play nice.

What is in an item seed or a ???? seed is determined when it drops. Doesn't matter where or when you plant it later on.

However, there seems to be some mechanic that encourages (but doesn't guarantee) your first six ???? seeds to drop all six unique items you would need. I think the best way to ensure it is to plant all 6 at once. I planted 5 at once and got 5 unique items, but afterwards they seemed random.

• Options
    Started a new game + as Kevin (Duran and Riesz, final NG+ will be as Angela because she wrecks shop)

Kevin's opening is baller. Everyone else is like "Imma take a boat to go to Jadd."

Kevin says fuck it and swims.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Kevin continues to be unexpectedly hilarious.

"Ay yo Priest dude. Bring back my friend. My only friend, Karl. He's a wolf pup..."

Riesz looks at him like, "The FUCK did I get myself into? I just went with this guy because he had a faerie that opened the passage to Wendel. I don't fuckin' need this."

Not that Riesz is any better with "Ay yo Priest dude. Nevarl thieves invaded my hometown. Also my brother got taken..."

And then it becomes about the Sword of Mana not falling into the wrong hands, but fret not, Kevin! With the Sword of Mana, you could beat your fathers ass into the GROUND! Use that Sword... for REVENGE. For JUSTICE.

This game.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah I was tempted to say that Angela had the saddest intro when playing through it this time -- she's completely neglected by her Queen mom and has no friends -- but then I remembered Kevin. Making a guy kill his own dog wins every time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yeah I was tempted to say that Angela had the saddest intro when playing through it this time -- she's completely neglected by her Queen mom and has no friends -- but then I remembered Kevin. Making a guy kill his own dog wins every time.

Wait, is his dad taking cues from the SS?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Kevin Things #278

When he takes cannon travel, he sticks the landing. His legs buckle a bit, but damn son.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Gnome talks like an old timey gold prospector.

Yes. This is good.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    ok had to do a bit of world tour hoping as soon as I got Flamie when I found out what the reward is for finding all Lil Cactus. Back on track!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    btw best upgrade in this version. Shields do something! Accesories actually do something too!!!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    btw best upgrade in this version. Shields do something! Accesories actually do something too!!!

The endgame shields are pretty good! Multiple status immunities are nice!

...Granted, I think I found that one postgame, actually. I'm not sure whether it's the endgame or postgame set for Liege without looking.

• Options
    Hm. Maybe I just know how to play, but the game definitely feels a bit easier than the original.

Those machine golems on the bridge would wreck my shit on occasion, but I did it fairly clean this time, due to be able to just avoid their rockets.

Granted, I’m also using the Early Game Destroyers (Kevin, Angela, Charlotte), so that may have something to do with it. Lasers and healing on command is pretty sweet even when you only get a few shots.

• Options
    There's some challenge if playing on Hard mode. Once you get to the second class change though, a lot of it is thrown out. The end game is pretty easy too.

There are some sweet chain abilities that break the game and are very unbalanced, but in the endgame, you just want to rush it and win, so this isn't a bad thing at all.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    So glad the soundtrack is just updated instruments but otherwise intact.

• Options
    guys help me out here. Bishop or Sage? I was gonna go Sage for Multi Elemental Swords but seeing how I've barely used them vs Turn Undead I dunno...

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Kevin Things #278

When he takes cannon travel, he sticks the landing. His legs buckle a bit, but damn son.

IIRC that was the animation in the original too. Bad ass mo fo

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    I guess it depends on how much you'll be fighting undead. I think the final dungeon has a lot of 'em in the Charlotte/Kevin path.

Speaking of, I'm also trying to think of my Charlotte classes going forward. I'm thinking of going with her Dark path, since it gives her a lot of damage or debuffing potential, and I'm planning on making Kevin go dark for Moon Saber anyway, so I may not need a bunch of saber magic options. This is all based on my knowledge of the original, of course.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    guys help me out here. Bishop or Sage? I was gonna go Sage for Multi Elemental Swords but seeing how I've barely used them vs Turn Undead I dunno...

If you're not controlling Charlotte and depending on how you set her AI, she will be smart about knowing when to cast Turn Undead (only enemies it's applicable to).

No setting seems to make her smart about saber use to target weaknesses which is fair when you get into groups of 3-5 enemies and they all have different resistances/weaknesses.

Sabers are useful, if you remember to use them. If not, you can still get by without. Charlotte going Dark/Dark is really only useful if you don't have Hawkeye or Riesz for debuffing.

Some characters can also debuff enemies with their chain skills like Kevin and Riesz (30% chance on crit to debuff def/magic/mag.def).

Charlotte for me was best as Light/Light. Healing Break (heal 30% HP over MaxHP) is also a really powerful skill which can save your ass if you mess up a boss' nuke mechanic.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    I've been really unlucky with my ??? seeds so I ended up just going Tier 2 Light Charlotte all the way up to the 8th Benevodon. TBH, single saber was more than enough for everything. Gonna go Light/Light when I get the chance.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Is it alright to talk about the original in here as well? Got the Collection of Mana edition a while back and now I'm finally working on my backlog a bit. Thinking of going Angela/Duran, which character would compliment those two well? Any suggestions on build paths?

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Is it alright to talk about the original in here as well? Got the Collection of Mana edition a while back and now I'm finally working on my backlog a bit. Thinking of going Angela/Duran, which character would compliment those two well? Any suggestions on build paths?

Technically you can go full healer with Duran (Light/Dark) and go with DPS (Dark Kevin, Hawkeye) or buffs/debuffs (Riesz Light Buffs and Dark Debuffs). Or you could go Dark/Light for full Elemental coverage with Duran and field Kevin as healer. Charlotte kinda overlaps with Duran because she can heal and get saber magic too.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

In the original? Anybody, really. Angela has basically zero synergy with anybody, and Duran can go either buffs in his dark classes with the sabers or provide healing with his light classes. Neither of them really step on anybody else's toes. Charlotte is probably the toughest sell for those two because she's mostly a heal bot and spells are a little obnoxious to use just in general because of the long animations.

Light Kevin with Dark Duran is probably the strongest overall, because Kevin is just plain broke as fuck (due to bugs).

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Duran's Liege class is really nice. AoE heals. Party buffing passives. Standard Duran things like provoke. He makes things easier.

Then his class 4 lets him stack the passive buffs even higher. It's wonderful - he's just giving everyone +15% stats by existing.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

In the original? Anybody, really. Angela has basically zero synergy with anybody, and Duran can go either buffs in his dark classes with the sabers or provide healing with his light classes. Neither of them really step on anybody else's toes. Charlotte is probably the toughest sell for those two because she's mostly a heal bot and spells are a little obnoxious to use just in general because of the long animations.

Light Kevin with Dark Duran is probably the strongest overall, because Kevin is just plain broke as fuck (due to bugs).

Angela doesn't have synergy but that doesn't mean she's a bad party member. On the contrary, she's good for any team. She's a real boss killer.

For Angela/Duran:

Kevin gives you the max DPS team, those are the three hardest hitters. Take Light Duran (for heals), Dark Kevin, either Angela and just burn stuff down. Or take Duran dark and rely on items for healing and even more DPS with Saber spells.

Charlotte is the hardest sell. She's a healer, better than Light Duran. So you'd go Dark Duran. He has saber spells, like Light Charlotte, so you take her Dark too. Necromancer has a really good status penalty spell.

Hawkeye works with anyone. In the original I'd pretty much always go Dark, his Light classes are mostly weird and bad.

Riesz works with any party. Light gives you stat buffs for your party (go Star Lancer) and Dark gives you stat debuffs to your foes (go Fenrir Knight).