As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My wife and I got a nice set of cuisinart Stainless pans for our wedding. Seem to be a nice middle ground of quality and price. The big downside is they have glass lids, but its not that big a downside when it's all said and done. They cook great.

Whatever you get make sure it is tri-pli or whatever all the way up the sides. I've had a couple sauces and other liquid dishes come out poorly because the bottom was so much warmer than the sides. It wouldn't cook evenly.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Ive never even considered spicy toum that sounds fucking incredible

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Ive never even considered spicy toum that sounds fucking incredible

I know right? I will share my findings.

• Options
    Looks like Babish is having his face lasered onto kitchen equipment now. I wonder who makes his knives.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Big youtubers/influencers putting out brands of shit is increasingly a thing and I kinda hate it. I mind it less in this instance because Andy does actually cook for a living and might give a shit about knives and have worked with the product personally, but some of them are like...some random dickhead putting out a line of branded coffee that has nothing to do with anything, and gosh I hate it.

I mean, I respect the hustle, if you can bilk people into overpaying for shit because it has your name on it and they're gullible then have at it, but also wow it's shitty that that works.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I can tell the Babish measuring spoons, at least, are dumb garbage, because they've got round cups, which means you can't fit the two biggest sizes into any of your spice vessels

and in fact he has this problem in the fuckin' video where he first shows off his line!

Shorty on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    That is very amusing.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I didn't know he made spoons, I only saw his overpriced knives.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Interesting. I have round measuring spoons and they all fit fine into my spice containers. Might just have to make sure you buy spoons to match your local spice brand containers. I can't find pricing on the knife. Its sold on Amazon and they are all out. It may or may not be overpriced. Depends on the manufacturer.

Edit: Looks like its Gibson Overseas who make Oster brand knives, along with Crissy Teigen's brand and a few others. Very cheap. That Chef's knife better not be over $20.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok fellow cookers. I am have come to possess several pounds of country style pork ribs due to my butcher basically giving them to me with my order of other goodies. I am seeking some aid/inspiration on a preparation for them that is not too too grotesquely unhealthy, so something beyond the drown it sauce stuff I have found with a cursory Google search.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Ok fellow cookers. I am have come to possess several pounds of country style pork ribs due to my butcher basically giving them to me with my order of other goodies. I am seeking some aid/inspiration on a preparation for them that is not too too grotesquely unhealthy, so something beyond the drown it sauce stuff I have found with a cursory Google search.

I would definitely do it with a southern style bbq sauce. Something vinegar based can probably be low cal if you do it right. Just depends if you want enough liquid to braise them. I don't think you really have to for country style ribs, they'll still be pretty tender either way.

Whenever we do any kind of country style ribs we usually do a slow cooker in a small amount of sauce and kinda shuffle the ribs every couple hours so they all get plenty of time in the sauce. Marinate them overnight if you can, in just enough liquid to coat them, then cook them in the liquid.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    least unhealthy way to prepare ribs I know of.. score the skin on the backside in a crosshatch pattern with a very sharp knife, so it's not a big stringy/rubbery piece. (peeling it off is annoying) massage in your dry rub, whatsoever you choose that to be, I recommend going hard on the flavour here. let it marinate overnight, or however long the amount of salt you put on allows you to, then put them in the slow cooker bone side down, with some water and aromatics at the bottom. cook it like that til they're as tender as you like, then toss them onto a pan and broil them for a few minutes to get a bit of colour.

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Thanks for the replies. I wonder. I have not messed around with the country styles robs all that much, but would they pass for carnitas or for something like a pulled pork use? I do have a slow cooker and usability of a smoker; which I should have mentioned in the original request.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I just saw a picture of summer squash soup and now I want to try making summer squash soup

I've never even had summer squash before but it looked amazing.

Correction. I've had zucchini. But not yellow squash.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    Ok, so I made spaghetti carbonara today, which is a staple in our home and I make it like, once a month or so, and everybody loves it, and I'm very happy about it because there are not very many dishes that the whole family loves and it is nice to sometimes hear from everyone that they appreciated the meal. And yes I've hade a couple of glasses or red wine, I'm sure you can tell.

Anyway, the thing is that I do not follow the traditional recipe - and any real Italian would probably frown upon my adjustments, but I have tried the traditional recipe multiple times (both cooking it myself and having it at restaurants), and to be honest, I just like my special one better because it actually adds a few key flavours. I'm at a point now where I would never order carbonara at a restaurant because I can simply make a much better one myself - I'd rather order a spaghetti vongole or something else that I probably wouldn't cook myself.

Anyway (again), what I do is that I replace the pancetta with bacon (or sometimes smoked pancetta if I can find it) simply because it adds more flavor. Yes I know, pancetta is not smoked and it should be plain salted, air dried pork in the traditional recipe, but come on - this is the literally the charcoal burner's spaghetti - shouldn't there be a little smokey flavor in this dish?

The other thing I do is that I add a little créme fraiche to the egg yolks before mixing them into the spaghetti (about 1/4 dl per yolk). This adds some crucial acidity to the dish, which helps bring out and balance all the other flavors. You get the sweetness from the onions that you fry until they break apart, the salt from the pancetta and the cheese, and the bitterness and spice from the black pepper. But there is no acidity at all in the traditional recipe, which means that to me it tends to taste very bland and after a while it starts growing in my mouth and it becomes just a big doughy lump that is difficult to swallow. The créme fraiche adds a freshness to the whole dish (which otherwise can be overly stodgy) that just makes it much more appetizing in my opinion.

Also, I've tried to also add finely diced zucchini to it and it's ok I think and my wife loves it, but me and the kids prefer to leave it out.

Oh, and don't forget to save a cup of pasta water before pouring it out, and add it to the pot after you've mixed the spaghetti with the other stuff. If you've hit the right saltiness of the pasta water, there is no need to add any extra salt at all to the dish, and the starch in the water will give the whole thing the perfect creaminess. This is key, and if you miss it, you'll maybe make a good carbonara, but it will never be great.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Made some extremely inauthentic seitan pad see ew, with duck egg

Aw yeah

7bapu0u804cs.jpg

• Options
    One of the students in my bio class confided that their family has 14 chickens and 8 ducks and that they get too many eggs so I'm going to be buying a dozen duck eggs from them once a month or so and I'm so excited. I haven't had a duck egg in a decade. I think the first thing I'm going to make is a really nice, simply omurice.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I miss duck eggs. Also having ducks, but less so cleaning up after them. God they were filthy animals.

• Options
    20210411-165031.jpg

Pie
    20210411-165152.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Cooked up some dippy eggs, asparagus, and hollandaise sauce

think I may cut back a little bit on the lemon next time but it was great

e553vajpnplo.jpg

also, mushroom season has started! I only found a couple today so these will be dried for stock this fall

x68j0xashgla.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    How the hell are all these people writing down recipes getting their chicken cooked in 3 to 5 minutes?

I've never had chicken cook through in 3 to 5 minutes. Oh caramelize my onions for 4 minutes? Bitch try 45 minutes

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    How the hell are all these people writing down recipes getting their chicken cooked in 3 to 5 minutes?

I've never had chicken cook through in 3 to 5 minutes. Oh caramelize my onions for 4 minutes? Bitch try 45 minutes

I mean, you can stir fry chicken in that long.

Onions however that sounds like black magic.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I cannot bear to chew the strange noisome flesh of mushrooms

But those are some sick ass mushrooms

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I cannot bear to chew the strange noisome flesh of mushrooms

But those are some sick ass mushrooms

these are the toughest mushrooms ever honestly. I use them for flavoring stocks, pickling, and making 'soy' sauce. They have a really unique flavor like a cross between a cucumber and a watermelon rind. Once they pickle for a week or two, I toss them in three bean salad.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    That's quite an intriguing mushroom I certainly appreciate the presence of mushroom flavour some sort of bone stock mushroom you aren't necessarily supposed to chew on sounds ideal

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Here they are drying in my basement (all my tools are down there so I keep a dehumidifier ar 40%)

76s3ci7xfpsm.jpg

• Options
    You can't fool me, those are greenscreened in there.

• Options
    my basement is a mess

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

Every recipe online lies about how long it takes to caramelize onions, and nobody knows why.

Like, we're already impressed you're writing recipes, you don't have to make up onion fibs for attention.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Made smoked meatloaf tonight. It was fantastic.

a6a1hmx2sv5n.jpeg
    daqjb6tr3ufg.jpeg

• Options
    Oh man oh jeez that looks good.

But, webguy, I might be privvy to a secret meatloaf level-up that you don't know about!

Get you some sweet peppers, the little guys a bit bigger than your thumb, preferably orange or yellow ones. Dice 'em up and sauté them for a couple of minutes, just for texture, really. Toss them in your meatloaf mix (ideally before you add the egg, just to not accidentally scramble any eggs). Adds a nice bitey texture and the flavor fits really good.

If you like the sweet bell peppers, I guess.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Oh man oh jeez that looks good.

But, webguy, I might be privvy to a secret meatloaf level-up that you don't know about!

Get you some sweet peppers, the little guys a bit bigger than your thumb, preferably orange or yellow ones. Dice 'em up and sauté them for a couple of minutes, just for texture, really. Toss them in your meatloaf mix (ideally before you add the egg, just to not accidentally scramble any eggs). Adds a nice bitey texture and the flavor fits really good.

If you like the sweet bell peppers, I guess.

It was good.

Custom beef mix, 70% chuck, 20% brisket and 10% short rib. Mixed with onions, eggs and a handful of breadcrumbs, made it juicy Lucy style with some smoked gouda and american cheeses. Rubbed with yellow mustard and "30 seasoning" blend from Spice house with a bit of salt and pepper. Cooked until 120f then glazed with some locally made Bacon Bourbon BBQ Sauce and taken off at 160f.

Served it with some mashed taters and gravy, roasted carrots and a biscuit.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Why the hell do I need a brand name measuring spoon set or mixing bowl when I can go to goodwill and buy 10 for a buck?

Also, if I need a chef knife and I don't want to drop a few hundred. That Ikea one is good enough. Otherwise I would wait for a %50 off deal on Shun cutlery.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I don't know if it's my palate changing over time or just my wife's cooking but I deadass love her meatloaf. It's so good the time before last that she made it I ended up eating the leftovers cold straight out of the fridge.

So good.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Here they are drying in my basement (all my tools are down there so I keep a dehumidifier ar 40%)

76s3ci7xfpsm.jpg

I mean, I know that you know what you're doing in terms of mushrooms - no arguments from me there. But I do need to question the wisdom of drying out an exposed food near that many hazardous chemicals.

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

76s3ci7xfpsm.jpg

I mean, I know that you know what you're doing in terms of mushrooms - no arguments from me there. But I do need to question the wisdom of drying out an exposed food near that many hazardous chemicals.

is there a chance of the spray paint escaping the cans and caps?

my basement certainly doesn't smell like chemicals

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I made some pommelo sorbet yesterday that was absolutely delicious. I'd never done anything with pommelo before and I really like the flavor, it's basically a less bitter and slightly more floral grapefruit, which I don't love by itself but in a sorbet was 10/10 good. I didn't take any pictures because how the hell do you take flattering pictures of a sorbet, I ask the world.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

76s3ci7xfpsm.jpg

Actually, that's a good question. The initial image definitely set my teeth chattering, but I'm sure that there are those here who know more about that kind of thing than I do.

• Options

76s3ci7xfpsm.jpg

Actually, that's a good question. The initial image definitely set my teeth chattering, but I'm sure that there are those here who know more about that kind of thing than I do.

I guess I should mention that in addition to the 24/7 dehumidifier, there's also an exhaust fan vented to outside the house running 24/7

This discussion has been closed.