As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've dusted it onto sugar cookies, that wasn't bad because they don't have much flavor beyond sweet.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I don't think it would taste bad, but you might need to consider the flavour profile of the chocolate you use - if you use a variety with citrus notes (Madagascar chocolate is a good example), then the sumac would probably heighten this facet and bring that sour edge more to the fore.

I'm trying to think what sweet baking i might use sumac in, and an orange cake seems like it would work really well?

Key lime pie or lemon bars would be another thing worth giving a shot though the citrus in those kind of hits you like a freight train so the sumac may not contribute much at all. It might be nice in baklava or ras malai or shortbread. I've not ever thought to use it in desserts before.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I just made regular chocolate chip cookies.

But in a single big piece because I couldn't be bothered making individual cookies.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Chocolate chip traybake.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yup. And then just tear off pieces as needed

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    From Chocolate: the Consuming Passion (Boynton, 1982)

It is customary at this point to sample the batter.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Enjoy this small and blurry picture of the BBQ pulled pork sandwich I had for dinner tonight. BBQ Pulled pork, cheddar cheese, coleslaw and crispy onion bits. It was perfect. A two napkin meal.

ual68tselutx.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Okay, I will.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I just made regular chocolate chip cookies.

But in a single big piece because I couldn't be bothered making individual cookies.

I did the same thing a couple days ago, but instead of cookies, cinnamon buns with cardamom apple butter filling

Had to chop it up to fit into bags

• Options
    Ummmm hello. Cardamom Apple butter filling?

Please with the elaboration, thank you.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I had a recommendation from someone on the forums of a good homemade spicy peanut sauce and I made a quick stir fry with and oh my god this whole thing was so easy, why have I not been making stir fry for years?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

Cardamom doesn't get the good press like cinnamon. It's overdue for a revival IMO.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    V1m wrote: »
    Cardamom doesn't get the good press like cinnamon. It's overdue for a revival IMO.
    Absolutely. I made brown butter cinnamon buns the other day and added in some ground cardamom and black pepper, they turned out really well!

And I try to make this ice cream which uses both green and black cardamom at least once each summer. The only problem with the recipe is that now I know how easy it is to make caramel at home, which is a bit of a dangerous thing.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited July 2022

Pretty simple, I'm just not a huge fan of how purely sugary tasting cinnamon buns usually are. So I made apple butter and in the last 5 minutes of a 2 hour apple reduction I added a couple tablespoons of cardamom, a few of cinnamon, a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a decent glug of vanilla extract. Spread it on my rolled dough, rolled up a log, pointlessly portioned it out, let them rise in the pan in my too-hot kitchen so they became a single unit, baked it and then enjoyed a few slices. It had a nice tart taste from the apple and cardamom, very enjoyable!

Atheraal on
  • Options
    Every autumn, Mom would go to the orchard and get a few bushels of jonathon and jonagold apples.

We would make 2 soup pots worth of apple sauce and then pull out the 4 crockpots. Applesauce, spices, brown sugar, and apple cider would cook at minimum 24 hours. We would then actually can the mix (complete with boiling water bath method) and let the dozens of jars cool in the dining room.

That was mom's holiday presents to everybody. Teachers, family, neighbours, nurses at the office, at the hospital, etc. A jar of Apple Butter.

Eventually I might start trying to make my own. Maybe not quite at that full production level. It always tasted so amazing and spiced so good in the crockpot. but as it cooled the spices mellowed and it just turned too sweet.

Cardamom itself reminds me of the smell of Trix cereal. and specifically that old Trix yogurt that was out a few decades ago.

Basically, that sounds amazing and I might just give that a try. Thank you.

• Options
    You can add lemon zest to tone down the too sweetness ( I would probably also sub out some of the Jonathons with granny's)

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Eventually I might start trying to make my own. Maybe not quite at that full production level. It always tasted so amazing and spiced so good in the crockpot. but as it cooled the spices mellowed and it just turned too sweet.

You could reduce/omit the brown sugar and up the spices maybe? I know brown sugar is delicious, but I usually find cooked apples sweet enough when making apple crumble or pie etc. that I usually don't add extra sweetener to the mixture.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Adding some cloves to apple sauce sounds delicious, I might add.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Tonight I made salmon with grits and lemon butter and capers, roasted green beans and grits.

As the kids would say

Bussin'

2uv9vs836x9d.jpg

• Options
    Hell yeah, get that bussy or whatever bussin' is for, Juggs.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    SHEEEEEEEEEEEESH

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    That is certainly some *checks notes* butt pussin' salmon you got there. Well done.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    do grits go well with fish? never seen that combination before, looks fancy though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That is certainly some *checks notes* butt pussin' salmon you got there. Well done.

Exactly that's what I said.
    do grits go well with fish? never seen that combination before, looks fancy though

Yes! They go great!

• Options
    Grits goes with anything. They're super versatile. And not like that bullshit versatile you hear people say about tilapia. They're as versatile as rice, if not moreso.

• Options
    Smoked burgers tonight with smoked applewood bacon and sharp cheddar. Topped with some onions, tomato and lettuce on a brioche bun. They turned out perfect. Rich and smoky, juicy but not so much that it destroys the bun.

Summer is the time for smoked burgs.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Smoked burgers tonight with smoked applewood bacon and sharp cheddar. Topped with some onions, tomato and lettuce on a brioche bun. They turned out perfect. Rich and smoky, juicy but not so much that it destroys the bun.

This has inspired me. We were going to just do regular grilled burgs for when some friends are coming over tonight but I think I'll drag out the smoker and impress them :)

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

This has inspired me. We were going to just do regular grilled burgs for when some friends are coming over tonight but I think I'll drag out the smoker and impress them :)

My tip is to put a pat of butter on top of the burger when you put them on the smoker. It adds another level of flavor.

• Options
    Three day weekend? Three days of smoked foods.

Today is mozzarella stuffed chicken breast wrapped in Applewood smoked bacon. Turned out amazing.

liv8q64xggbv.jpg
    1r00fp7vpbmm.jpg

• Options
    Tell me about the prep on those carrots and broccoli, because they look fantastic.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Tell me about the prep on those carrots and broccoli, because they look fantastic.

Carrots about 45 minutes roasting in the oven @400f, tossed with some olive oil and McCormick's steak seasoning, and the Broccoli was roasted for about 15-20, salt and pepper. Both hit with the broiler for a couple minutes to crisp them up right at the end.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Enjoy this small and blurry picture of the BBQ pulled pork sandwich I had for dinner tonight. BBQ Pulled pork, cheddar cheese, coleslaw and crispy onion bits. It was perfect. A two napkin meal.

ual68tselutx.jpg

I'm honestly impressed that you only needed two napkins.

• Options
    Karl wrote: »

ual68tselutx.jpg

I'm honestly impressed that you only needed two napkins.

I did have to go wash my face afterwards.

• Options
    Barbacoa Tacos tonight from yesterdays smoked chuck roast. The tacos are cheese, barbacoa, Pico de gallo, guac and Adoboloco Island Wings Pineapple Hot Sauce.

ed00ipjryzh0.jpg
    d0s4w4cdyh1k.jpg

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Damn that looks amazing

I have a huge "roast" cut of venison that I want to do some sort of Barbacoa thing with, but I need to do it when a lot of people are going to be around, preferably for two meals

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I made this tonight

https://www.veganricha.com/vegan-khada-masala-murg/

It was very good. But it was like the edge of spicy that i could do. We did it with a serrano pepper so maybe next time with something less hot. It also mentioned that you can cut it with coconut cream so maybe that. but yeah, the sauce is great. the vegan part was just using tofu instead of chicken but it's a curry, you can put whatever protein you want in it. Highly recommend.

Also the moment I threw the whole spices into the hot oil and it started popping I only panicked a little bit! which I take as an improvement!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    8w0gk3zrpkmo.jpg

Grilled up some pork chops, quite pleased with how they turned out.

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Best pizza yet, and the most round.

1kwhu8wv9rzv.jpg
    bmydpa1mdkh0.jpg
    gvuuxjrowy99.jpg

webguy20 on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cooking thread, I've been making breakfast sandwiches on bagels for a bit now, but were out of good bagels. In a pinch I'm trying an English muffin, but have no idea what to replace the cream cheese with

• Options
    Just butter is traditional. Aioli if yer fancy

This discussion has been closed.