Options

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    'Significant gaps' in UK's border plans
    Wow, I never saw that coming.
    Haulage firms are warning of "significant gaps" in UK border plans for the end of the Brexit transition period on 31 December.

Eight groups warned ministers that if issues were not addressed, the supply chain "will be severely disrupted".

In a letter to the Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove, seen by Bloomberg, the eight logistics organisations - including the Road Haulage Association - raised concerns over IT systems, the funding to train up customs agents and the pace of physical infrastructure being built.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the government will work to ensure the "best systems are in place".
    It's okay everyone, the government is on the case! I feel so relieved.

For no associated reason, I think I'm going to stock up well ahead in December. Would a months worth of food cover it?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Any minute now Number 10 is going to reassure people by announcing Johnson will take personal command of the issue.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I’ve been getting a kick out of the Scottish Tory Chip Crisis as a bit of light relief, where we get to see Andrew Bowie attempting to up his cred with the youth vote

tweet from Andrew Bowie:

I regularly get asked as Conservative Vice Chair for Youth if 'Social Media' might put people off getting into politics. Last night I posted a picture of my dinner, a plate of fish and chips.These are a selection of the responses.]
    Screenshot of text including
    “Wanker
    Demented
    Scottish Tory 6-chip twat
    More chips on his plate than brain cells in his head, typical Tory moron”

Now you might think, as I did, that this seems like an exceptionally harsh response to a tweet of someone’s dinner, so let’s see what -

dzpgatzx19eb.jpeg

Ah.

• Options
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    anyone catch the sky news interview this morning with the transportation prat?

Refuses to comment on someone with Abbot's moral pedigree becoming senior trade figure because he isn't in yet.
    So, what, you wait until he has the job? And then what? "Oh we shouldn't have installed him into the position he has but it's too late now".

I'm also confused by Kay Burley. Works for sky news (own by incredibly pro right murdoch) but is apparently allowed to go after conservatives in an offensive manner.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    I’ve been getting a kick out of the Scottish Tory Chip Crisis as a bit of light relief, where we get to see Andrew Bowie attempting to up his cred with the youth vote

tweet from Andrew Bowie:

I regularly get asked as Conservative Vice Chair for Youth if 'Social Media' might put people off getting into politics. Last night I posted a picture of my dinner, a plate of fish and chips.These are a selection of the responses.]
    Screenshot of text including
    “Wanker
    Demented
    Scottish Tory 6-chip twat
    More chips on his plate than brain cells in his head, typical Tory moron”

Now you might think, as I did, that this seems like an exceptionally harsh response to a tweet of someone’s dinner, so let’s see what -

dzpgatzx19eb.jpeg

Ah.

I realize that any dish can be fancy, but it's still weird to me to see a fancy version of fish and chips, with 6 pieces of chips neatly arranged.
    And it's not even a cool interpretation of fish and chips, like a fusion with Vietnamese cuisine or Japanese style breading or anything. It has just been plated very fancily, and with very little chips.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    "Yes, this picture will convince them that one is an ordinary chap."

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    'Significant gaps' in UK's border plans
    Wow, I never saw that coming.
    Haulage firms are warning of "significant gaps" in UK border plans for the end of the Brexit transition period on 31 December.

Eight groups warned ministers that if issues were not addressed, the supply chain "will be severely disrupted".

In a letter to the Cabinet Office Minister Michael Gove, seen by Bloomberg, the eight logistics organisations - including the Road Haulage Association - raised concerns over IT systems, the funding to train up customs agents and the pace of physical infrastructure being built.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the government will work to ensure the "best systems are in place".
    It's okay everyone, the government is on the case! I feel so relieved.

For no associated reason, I think I'm going to stock up well ahead in December. Would a months worth of food cover it?

The other big thing I've seen raised is labelling requirements for goods for export

It's critical because adherence to the labelling requirements of the importing country is an essential part of customs clearance, and in order for that to work it needs to be backed by a functional system of enforcement within the exporting country

Food manufacturers and the like are saying that they are now beyond the point where they will realistically be able to implement any required changes by the 1st of January

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    That's one way to ensure we have enough food

Make exporting what foods we do produce impossible

Hope everybody's in the mood for innovative jam come January

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    evilthecat wrote: »
    I'm also confused by Kay Burley. Works for sky news (own by incredibly pro right murdoch) but is apparently allowed to go after conservatives in an offensive manner.

Rules about broadcast media bias are pretty strict in the UK. Or used to be (RT are allowed to broadcast now, for instance). Sky News is also now owned by Comcast, not Murdoch, but even when it wasn't it was never an avowedly pro-Conservative outfit like, say, Fox News in the US.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    I hear he's a trade expert.

They keep saying this but like, is he?

He doesn't seem to have any particular trade expertise, beyond having been in power at a time when a couple if significant Australian deals were struck

By all accounts he doesn't seem to have been particularly involved in their negotiation

Clearly he has more experience at it than anybody currently in charge or they would not have brought him in.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    "6 chip twat" is a good one.

6 Chip Twat is beautifully elegant, but I also love the "Lying Tory coward" one because it suggests that this photo makes him seem... afraid of normal fish and chips? And deceitful? I don't know and I like the mystery.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Do all Conservative youth in those young Conservative groups look the same like young Republicans in young Republican groups do?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    As a general rule, I'd say that if your plate has a little crest on it, it's too posh a meal to be considered "of the people"

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I think people are just rightfully affronted by that abomination being called "British fish and chips". The fish is over cooked and half the size it should be and anyone delivering a plate to any self respecting Brit with six fucking chips on it deserves the slap that is coming their way.

Also he's conveniently ignoring the fact that the hate coming his way is not happening in a vacuum over a picture of his poncy dinner but more because he's a member of an organisation dedicated to making the poor poorer, the rich richer and just generally ensuring we slowly die out from a lack of healthcare, resources and opportunities. My heart does not bleed for a man complaining he's being called a cunt on social media when he's dedicating his life to the goal of fucking killing people.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    I think people are just rightfully affronted by that abomination being called "British fish and chips". The fish is over cooked and half the size it should be and anyone delivering a plate to any self respecting Brit with six fucking chips on it deserves the slap that is coming their way.

Also he's conveniently ignoring the fact that the hate coming his way is not happening in a vacuum over a picture of his poncy dinner but more because he's a member of an organisation dedicated to making the poor poorer, the rich richer and just generally ensuring we slowly die out from a lack of healthcare, resources and opportunities. My heart does not bleed for a man complaining he's being called a cunt on social media when he's dedicating his life to the goal of fucking killing people.

I have no sympathy for him.

See, if someone is getting abuse online because they're gay, disabled, poor, trans, a person of colour, or any of the dozens of things that people on the right don't like, well those people have no choice, those are key parts of them as a person. There isn't anything they can do to change that. (With the exception of being poor, though of course, the odds of that are very small)

But being a Tory? Working for a party that has done damage? Well, that's a choice. You can stop being a Tory at any time.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    As a general rule, I'd say that if your plate has a little crest on it, it's too posh a meal to be considered "of the people"

The formal table setting with the dessert knife and fork a the top of the plate isn't helping either.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    So this is interesting

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-poll-most-british-people-want-to-rejoin-eu-2020-6

The article calls it a brexit poll, but it's actually the European Social Survey, which is a pretty major international academic exercise

I don't expect anything to happen as a result of this, but am interesting indication of where the public mood is, nonetheless

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    It's not even just a majority, 57% to rejoin and 35% to remain out is pretty extreme.
    Just a shame that the Leave 35% have 56% of the MPs...and closer to 60% if Scotland leaves.

Though if at least 5% of Tory voters are unhappy with Brexit now, even with the odds stacked in their favour, it's going to be a struggle to win the next election.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I was wondering what was up with Norway in that survey, then I remembered that they have a bespoke deal that gives them the level of EU-ness that they want.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    To be honest it's refreshing to see some realistic goals from the government for once.
    I think post No Deal Brexit we've got a genuine opportunity to get the economy to the size of Australia's, and Tony Abbot has a lot of experience with a country with declining exports - lets just hope he saved the good ideas for us!

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Hannan and Fysh are also advisors to the Board. What an absolute shower of shit.

Bogart on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

6 Chip left out my favourite response.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    that position is irrelevant (they literally just hang out, theres no formal power, if u had expertise it gives u an opportunity to deploy it but u cant actually do anything in and of urself)

abbott was appointed because it’s a signal to the base and it annoys those who the gov like annoying and costs basically nothing

actively being stupid and rewarding the loyally stupid is the aesthetic of the con base

as a wise political philosopher once observed

f510uvgpedep.jpg

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The Observer reporting that johnson was furious at making a fool of himself in PMQ's again. His solution? Double down on personal attacks! Truely the hallmark of a man bereft of ideas and policy. It's easy to tell when somebody is arguing in bad faith if they leap straight to ad hominem attacks. The crazy part is that he thinks attacking Starmer's legal career is a good idea. Those in glass houses and all that. I can't think of a career more singularly useless than johnson's own. I can only imagine he's aiming for the deplorable culture war crap of "let's attack him for having a successful legal career". Just another bullet point on the list of reasons why he's unsuitable for office really.

I also found it funny that senior tories are worried about "the issue of competence". Have they not been paying attention? They've all been totally incompetent. Cameron and Osborne made the wrong move at pretty much every stage and left us with the worst recovery from the economic crisis among developed nations, May was comletely incompetent in every position she was ever in and the only thing that made any of them look halfway capable in retrospect is that Johnson is much worse!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/05/desperate-boris-johnson-to-step-up-personal-attacks-on-keir-starmer

altid on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Not their own competence, that's never been something that's concerned them and wasn't even a problem until recently - it's the issue of Stamar's competence that's causing all the trouble.
    That and the looming disaster on the horizon that will actually need dealing with rather than just rebranding.

I've got to wonder if Rishi Sunak's time is numbered...

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Almost 3000 new cases of Coronavirus recorded today, an increase of over 1200 on last Sunday.

But you know, get back in the office you lazy bastards.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Almost 3000 new cases of Coronavirus recorded today, an increase of over 1200 on last Sunday.

But you know, get back in the office you lazy bastards.

And to the cinema, bars, restaurants, airports, etc...

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    uKIe0c5.png

It's definitely starting to look like we're heading into second wave territory at this point. Doesn't help at all that this is the month where schools and universities are meant to be opening back up again.

• Options
    I wonder if they're going to get it back down in time for Christmas (because no one is going to accept a lockdown over Christmas), but it certainly looks like the local lockdowns aren't doing enough.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I notice in that guardian article, that nobody in the picture is wearing a mask. I hope the back benches are at least wearing masks?!

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    I notice in that guardian article, that nobody in the picture is wearing a mask. I hope the back benches are at least wearing masks?!

I believe it's actually either discouraged or outright prohibited to wear masks in either chamber because a) it's hard to make speeches and be understood while wearing a mask and b) it's important to be able to recognise everyone in the chamber is an MP.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    uKIe0c5.png

It's definitely starting to look like we're heading into second wave territory at this point. Doesn't help at all that this is the month where schools and universities are meant to be opening back up again.

It's fine, we're scaling back testing fast enough that it should be impossible to hit a confirmed cases peak

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    uKIe0c5.png

It's fine, we're scaling back testing fast enough that it should be impossible to hit a confirmed cases peak

Eventually, when you stop all testing, nobody will get sick!

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Sometimes I wonder if I should be staying home as much as I do (still barely going literally anywhere except the supermarket).

Then I see this and feel somewhat vindicated.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    uKIe0c5.png

Eventually, when you stop all testing, nobody will get sick!

This is depressingly true. Apparently the NHS have received my test, and its been registered but "they might have just lost it if you've not heard from them - and if they have they won't message you, so better to just isolate for ten days, its a problem we've had lately".

What was the point of doing the test in the first place? I know I'll isolate but there's a lot who on hearing that won't/aren't able to and feel like with their circumstances need to get out working still.

My bets are on for another big lockdown in November when winter hits.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    If they go for another wide-scale lockdown they'll be under incredible pressure to extend the furlough scheme, and I'd bet on a brexit-negotiation level of intransigence to keep from doing that.
    Number of cases/deaths won't do it, the only thing that would get them to go back to that would be multiple cases of the NHS actually not being able to handle them.
    (And the NHS just saying so wouldn't be accepted, either. There will have to be documented and publicised cases of people being left to die because the system can't handle them)

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    If they go for another wide-scale lockdown they'll be under incredible pressure to extend the furlough scheme, and I'd bet on a brexit-negotiation level of intransigence to keep from doing that.
    Number of cases/deaths won't do it, the only thing that would get them to go back to that would be multiple cases of the NHS actually not being able to handle them.
    (And the NHS just saying so wouldn't be accepted, either. There will have to be documented and publicised cases of people being left to die because the system can't handle them)

You make a very good point actually!

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »

I believe it's actually either discouraged or outright prohibited to wear masks in either chamber because a) it's hard to make speeches and be understood while wearing a mask and b) it's important to be able to recognise everyone in the chamber is an MP.

Man even the US isn't that stupid. Get everyone mic'd up PAPR hoods if you must but gathering indoors with no spread reduction method is incredibly shortsighted.

This discussion has been closed.