As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Train] Ive got fire in my caboose! Last Divinity dlc in beta!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The first faction (horned?) champion never seems to get started for me once you start covenants. Feeding him those last hits just becomes too tricky with the constant variety in enemy formations.

Beat covenant 1 last night with a plant/horn combo. I had 4 of those massive chunky horn demons that have the imp discount and then a ton of ways of cheating them out cheap or building a pile of mana.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Beating C15 is fucking painful and awful and I will do it before the week is out so help me

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I just made a Draff with 1400 Rage and triple strike, AMA about Remnant/Hellhorned.

Edit: My first C15 win of about 12 attempts, I believe.

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    1. GAMEPLAY - increased Penumbra's base stats by 5 attack and 5 health.
    2. GAMEPLAY - Penumbra's Architect and Monstrous paths now have increased stat scaling.
    3. GAMEPLAY - Penumbra's Glutton path now has 2 Lifesteal, non-scaling, on all upgrade stages.
    4. GAMEPLAY - Hornbreaker Prince's Wrathful path now gives +5 Armor at all levels on Slay and has increased base stats.
    5. GAMEPLAY - Hornbreaker Prince's Brawler path now has some base Armor that lightly scales to increase survivability against Spikes.
    6. GAMEPLAY - Hornbreaker Prince's Reaper path now has increased base attack.

Patch notes.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Good changes.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I just made a Draff with 1400 Rage and triple strike, AMA about Remnant/Hellhorned.

Edit: My first C15 win of about 12 attempts, I believe.

Uber-Draff Prime engage

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    So Resin Block(+10 attack on a friendly unit when it dies) works with Votive Key(wax units always have endless).

Imagine this little shitter Votivary(1/1/1 draw a card on death) is coming into the battle to intentionally die every turn, to later juggernaut into the boss battle as a backline nuker doing 200-300+ damage/turn with multistrike(s).

It works better than I thought it would.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Was Penumbra not good? I cruised through the game using all-in Penumbra builds twice in a row with no trouble. Maybe I got luckier than I thought, or maybe the strategy scales poorly into higher covenant levels...

Prince buffs are definitely appreciated.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    lol Umbra/Remnant card combos

2007A6F848069A63B8C496268A13C2FFB0DDC30C

I need to get frozen on both of them asap.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Ahhhhhh I lost my Covenant 17 on the final boss by 180 health ;_;

also yeah hi I've been playing an ungodly amount of this game since it came out, I haven't been this addicted to a game in ages

my opinion on balance that I'm sure everyone has been waiting for with baited breath: every faction is great but stygian's champ is garbage if you don't get the god spell weakness cheese build don't @ me

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I ended up not needing it, but I built an even higher one come the final boss.
    CDF7F2F6E01BC4E0DAE9AA40A73951DE3F03217B

I really feel the +3 spell power is what brings it all together.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Heh, just unlocked Melting Remnant, and they are nuts. So many ridiculous cards even at level 1. I have Bounty Stalker with Endless and Burnout 1 and it is enormous. Removing Consume from Sacred Wicks is also pretty silly

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    My first Melting Remnant run started with two of the card that costs zero, heals 10, and adds burnout 2, so I took the burnout champion who maxes out at 150/150. Then I got a Paraffin Thug, enhanced it with Multistrike, and duped it twice, so I had infinite gold. Later I got an Engulfed in Smoke with doublestack and holdover for, like, no reason (I can't believe this card exists; surely it has to be the single most broken thing in the game).

Also the Hellhorned were there, I think.

It was not a difficult run.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Remnant/Umbra is my favorite so far. I select the champion that casts reform every turn, Morselmaster, and then take your pick of Gorge or Harvest units.

Endless morsel spam which synergizes in some fairly abusive ways because morsel consumption counts as a unit death(hello Memorial Fund) and playing them again counts as a unit summon(hello Flicker's Liquor). The morsels also come back in a very snowbally way because every time they're reformed it just stacks stats on them, so they can also act as first-turn meat shields before they are consumed.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Ahaha, wow. I checked my run log and my Covenant 16 win, my lowest ranking win, has 5 whole losses with a higher score than it.

It was also hilarious because I had a doublestriking Shadowsiege in my deck purely to gold it, and then against Seraph the miracle draw happened that actually let me play it (turn 2 mana morsel, turn 3 draw Shadowsiege, haven't drawn any of my other big gorge critters so my top lane is empty and can fit it).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Oh geez, Engulfed in Smoke is ridiculous. I can think of like four different axes upon which they could nerf it, and it would still be really good. Probably the most appropriate would be to just give it Consume.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I haven't had a lot of luck with Hellhorned yet, but I'm currently on a run where my opening artifact was Volatile Gauge/Snecko Eye. I grabbed it and am loading up the train with as many Consumer of Crowns as I can find/duplicate.

• Options
    update: game is hard

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    When the Melting Remnant/Umbra money machine is rolling, you can't stop it

Just cleared covenant 10; I made 500 gold during the final boss battle

• Options
    Formless Child + Resin Block = ???

A01988071A2FF2A306694F964B60D3E26EBEEFCD

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Oh my. Just had my Pyre drop the final hit on the Seraph with 5 health left.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    tessarjitessarji Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I completed the 10 card deck win this morning, here's a link to the custom challenge if anyone wants to try to outdo my score:

monstertrain://challenge/PillsStevenArgument

Next up, the no-fun no artifacts achievement

tessarji on
  • Options
    Combined with the guy who gets spikes for every heal, this is now a silly card:

ji2qx94oe6h9.png

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    lads of INCREDIBLE SIZE

m0ytoc81mg9v.jpg

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I had 3 +10 power 1 cost holdover glimmers with the stygian line that reduces the cost of spells so they were all 0 cost and I just bombed the bottom floor with spam every round and had the frostbite ward and the frostbite revenge with a bunch of +health

• Options
    What is even going on in that picture, goat? How do you get lads that big? And then how do you get them all in the bottom lane, a bunch of cave-ins?

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    What is even going on in that picture, goat? How do you get lads that big? And then how do you get them all in the bottom lane, a bunch of cave-ins?

I got the event that gives you an omega largestone (+2 size), and my starting relic was the "summon 4 units from your deck to your middle floor at the start" so of course I duplicated the lad three times. (Yes, there was one I never got the chance to play that fight!)

I think this time only one got pulled in the initial relic draw, but I got the other two in with a Restorative Drop and a Hidden Passage.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I didn’t know floor changing let you exceed floor capacity limits! That makes those cards seem much more useful than I had originally thought.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    Yeah, they can also be really useful on the enemy side too. You can easily use it to split up a tank from the weaker enemies behind them.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I didn’t know floor changing let you exceed floor capacity limits! That makes those cards seem much more useful than I had originally thought.

There's still a hard 7-unit limit on any floor, capacity or not, before you try to go too crazy with it and, say, drop a bunch of Morsels in behind Penumbra and his pals.

• Options
    tessarjitessarji Registered User regular
    I dunno, with some thought the morsel plan works just fine. I know its hard to tell in this pic since the line for the deli is pretty crowded, but that is a 517 attack Penumbra in the back.

s66i07fsojir.jpg

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Step 1: Stack Spell Weakness
    Step 2: Get your Ice and Pyre Permafrosted
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: BOOM! Headshot.

As you can see from my sad, sad line of units I had no plan B. Almost ruined plan A by casting a tiny nuke at the boss earlier but thankfully a small voice inside my head went "hey, waitaminute ..." before I clicked the boss.

84888E00116B143F64713CB2AFBA596C794A6D36

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I don't think there's a stronger synergistic racial combo than umbra/remnant
    Sc3xup0h.jpg
    llfrOHTh.jpg
    both have mechanics with cheap units and count on them dying
    so you just keep feeding small units and even sacrifice umbra ones to die for the big boys

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Spellfrost Awoken/Stygian is very effective.

84F9FF17CC39A56F69ED072FFAE775CA2730815D

(Seraph hasn't even entered combat yet)

As an aside I think the Stygian champion is still too weak in general and could use some buffs. It's flimsy and its effects are too backloaded. It shouldn't auto-die in the first two turns of a thorns/sweep encounter and shouldn't rely on you effectively allowing the enemy to climb 1-2 floors before you can capitalize on its effects. If I was going to go frost I'd rather get Multistrike Coldcaelias and hide them behind a 200 health Sentient that draws a card every time she takes damage. (as above)

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I have no Stygian-main wins. The leader is just too much wet tissue paper.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I killed Seraph before he entered combat with that take all frostbite on the floor put it on one person and double it with the revenge frostbite guy guarding my sweep apply frostbite 10 champ and a holdover deal 6 damage apply frostbite spell and the incant totem that frostbites people

• Options
    Uuuuugh Overcharged Tanks are such horseshit. 6 (often buffed to 8) attack/85 health is "annoying for most builds at this point, a few probably get through unless you're balling out of control."

Then on top of that they have harvest: gain a million health to specifically say "hey cool you're playing umbra GG."

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Uuuuugh Overcharged Tanks are such horseshit. 6 (often buffed to 8) attack/85 health is "annoying for most builds at this point, a few probably get through unless you're balling out of control."

Then on top of that they have harvest: gain a million health to specifically say "hey cool you're playing umbra GG."

"Morsels don't proc Harvest triggers" would be a really interesting change to them, balance-wise. Not a lot of fun in the Remnant pairing, but interesting.

• Options
    I was a little disappointed when two of my starting cards were Dripfall, but I got this Legion of Wax early and got some sick upgrades for it, then a bunch of cards to reform it, and it carried hard.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I'm going off the rails on this Monster Train.

First victory was Stygian/Awoken and pretty hilarious.

Tons of Sting (duplicated x5 in a Caverns event), the Draw 2 cards after playing three Artifact, and getting A Forgotten Name (When you play your third spell of the turn, all cards gain +1 Magic Power for this battle) just before Seraph was stupid fun.

Tethys is still squishy, but I was able to keep him alive with good tanks and getting him upgraded with Damage Spells cast on his floor cost 1 less was just amazing. I was playing out my hand pretty much every turn.

And Awoken Hollow will never not be wonderful with Spreading Spores. Bonus with a Nameless Siren upgraded with Multistrike on the same floor. :biggrin:

mvp's of the run were definitely the two Sirens and the Guard of the Unnamed. Spamming Incant triggers is very effective. Icestorm was a workhorse as well, especially with Forgotten Name Artifact.

Run Summary screen in spoiler.
    3F5B4A7930DF434BD83EF6FF997839F1430B65B7

steam_sig.png