As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Train] Ive got fire in my caboose! Last Divinity dlc in beta!

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    yeah being able to duplicate a card at certain point in the run can really break things wide open

i was running awoken/stygian and i got the 0 cost card that gives a stack of spell weakness, which i then got doublestack and holdover on so it would return to my hand every turn after getting 2 stacks of spell weakness on an enemy for free. then i duped it so i had two.

paired the standard awoken hollow hulks with the stygian unit that applies spell weakness every stack and gave her quick + sweep on the first floor

despite the fact that i got the seraph that halves buffs on your units/debuffs on himself i still got i think enough stacks of spell weakness on him that i could nuke him for 2000+ damage, killing him instantly once he reached the top floor

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Sounds like i need to pick this up and see if i can achieve the same level of expertise in it i have in StS.

That's a sane goal, right? =3

I'm admittedly still at the lower levels, but my impression so far is that it's waaaay easier/more forgiving than STS, but also a bit more random in a way that even the bosses of STS aren't. Like I've had runs that were stopped dead because of certain minor/generic enemies with a specific skill (particularly ones with Sweep on Umbra runs), or more often, multiple of them in a row that I knew would be a problem, and then on other runs, just never saw a single enemy with Sweep at all, or got the artifact that gives all morsels damage shield and could just ignore it. I'm also not sure there's as much variance in runs, but that could change as I unlock more units.

I think you'll enjoy it all the same, but my impression is that it's definitely more about setting up a win condition, and those win conditions are pretty obvious, while STS is a bit more focused on the turn to turn.

Or an enemy monster with lots of HP and "Harvest: Gain 10 Armor" against Umbra.

It's a run killer if I can't put out that things entire hp/armor pool in the first/second floor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    You guys are lettin’ things get to the third floor?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »

I have an Overgorger that needs to feed, man.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

If I'm doing remnant or definitely umbra yeah. Reform means I need to let mobs kill my guys and advance a bit. Gorge takes a couple turns to really take off.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ok seriously. Fuck Darkwings. 110 HP and Harvest: Gain 15 Armor is so punishing when playing Umbra. If my count is correct, that's the last three Umbra runs killed by them alone.

Though my most recent run wasn't helped by Sketches of Salvation. I've taken the artifact twice now and had bad results both times.

"At the start of battle, summon 4 random units from your deck onto the middle floor." seems super powerful, but given that it summons them in random order, it winds up putting my units in the worst possible order or putting more than one support type in that floor. I have to remember that it doesn't mesh well with the Clans or strategy I generally employ.
    Quid wrote: »

If I'm doing remnant or definitely umbra yeah. Reform means I need to let mobs kill my guys and advance a bit. Gorge takes a couple turns to really take off.

Stygian can want things to make it to the third floor if they have strong Pyrebound cards.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Umbra is definitely having a lot of runs for me that feel like they're really strong up until I run into a sweep or harvest enemy, and then they just self-destruct.

I also had an Awoken run that seemed like it was begging to be all about thorns. Sap Seraph. Extra thorns on +thorns relic early. Monster that doubles thorns for units on floor. Monster that gains extra thorns every time healed. But even with all that and still on a relatively low covenant, I still couldn't stack thorns fast enough to make it work. Really makes me wonder if it's even possible at all.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Double stack Spreading Spores, preferably with a discount and a slim deck, is a way to make thorns happen

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    g6u8ss8qk7k8.png

this was the absolutely most ridiculous build i have ever gotten. got the sneko eye early, got the big guy, gave him multistrike, duplicated him, then duplicated him again, and random artifact from challenge was the +1 multistrike for demons, and duplicated him again.

killed seraph before he spawned, did 800 damage turn 1.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I really don't think morsels should count towards kills.

• Options

In regards to Harvest triggers?

I’d probably agree. But it would make me sad in future Umbra/Remnant runs.

Enemy Harvest triggers feels different than Ally unit triggers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

In regards to Harvest triggers?

I’d probably agree. But it would make me sad in future Umbra/Remnant runs.

Enemy Harvest triggers feels different than Ally unit triggers.

If it were up to me I'd probably go with get rid of the harvest triggers but add a point to whatever they boost. I love using them for my own harvest too but that goes out the door when it makes a basic mob virtually unbeatable.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah the duplicate card function is kinda crazy. One run I had 4 of the cards that are “Use X to get X damage shield”

I started with 2 of the cards, then upgraded both so it was 2 times X. Then duplicates both.

I’ve done it multiple times now and by the 4th last fight my hero has 50+ damage shield.

Usually I try to get some crazy mana generation going on as well. I’ve gotten past 100 dmg shield.

I’m enjoying the game for sure, but I don’t think I’ll play as long as STS, and it might just be down to the fact that each game isn’t as long. It’s easier to burn through everything.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Well, think I might need to take a break after my most recent attempt. Umbra/Hellhorned, doing quite well... and... oh, Seraph is spawning both those assholes that get a shit ton of armor off harvest, as well as the enemies with sweep and emberdrain. So I can neither play my cards nor can my morsels survive to do their thing, and if they do I can't kill the enemy in time. Well, fuck me I guess.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    xmur2fh.png

I was curious what would happen if it would buff and remove Extinguish for all of them if I went over the 4. The answer is yes.

This train is a little infested now.

AAaaand then the last artifact shop before Seraph had a Sketches and I just HAD to take it.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Still climbing up the Covenant Rank, but finally started getting somewhere once i realized how much I clicked with the Awoken. Here is my first attempt at covenant 4:
    yrhvmrs7i58t.jpg
    Final boss doing zero damage feels pretty good. I purged all the stupid candles out of my deck, lol.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Candles are super fun with Umbra. Put Holdover on one of the spells that lets you bring back a dead dude, and you can let your champion fight the boss on each floor. They keep all their harvest boosts through the death and rebirth too, in addition to whatever buffs the revives gave them along the way. I had miner morsels that were attacking for like 70 damage before being eaten just because I would constantly revive them.

E:
    Man, I wish so much I could've put Multistrike on this dude before duping him. Store wouldn't cooperate though. He did so much work for me through that run.
    SujyjBr.png

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Sounds like i need to pick this up and see if i can achieve the same level of expertise in it i have in StS.

That's a sane goal, right? =3

I'm admittedly still at the lower levels, but my impression so far is that it's waaaay easier/more forgiving than STS, but also a bit more random in a way that even the bosses of STS aren't. Like I've had runs that were stopped dead because of certain minor/generic enemies (particularly ones with Sweep on Umbra runs), and then on other runs, just never saw a single enemy with Sweep at all, or got the artifact that gives all morsels damage shield and could just ignore it. I'm also not sure there's as much variance in runs, but that could change as I unlock more units.

I think you'll enjoy it all the same, but my impression is that it's definitely more about setting up a win condition while STS is a bit more focused on the turn to turn.

Right. My main concern would be i hit the same point i did in Hades - i could predictably tell if a run was going to be a winner or not simply based off my damage output. Which in turn collapsed all the choice making into "Make me hit as harder as possible". Just the entire way that game was balanced favored being able to obliterate things before they could wing you (Especially the godfuckingawful poison mechanic in the final zone, who thought that was fun?)

Add in that there heat mechanic was vastly worse than Spire's ascension mechanic, and i lost interest pretty fast.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    had an incredibly silly remnant/hellhorned run

Rector Flicker with harvest +5 and two reform, then i had various beefy units and two of the Branded Warriors, the Demons that gain +3 rage on kill upgraded with Multistrike
    I also had two Memories of the Melted, the Remnant card that gives you mana based on how many units died that fight, and a Doublestack, no consume Spike of the Hellhorned (X Rage + Armor), with The First Hellpact as icing on the cake (+3 to x cards)

Due to some bad luck on Reform RNG i keep getting the base remnant unit cards and not my beefy units, ok, this run looks like it's about to spin out of control and end in a loss with one of the Branded Warriors and Rector Flicker left on the top floor as Seraph is on the 2nd floor and I keep drawing/reforming only low health fodder.

Then I pull Spike of the Hellhorned and have both Memories of the Melted (one upgraded with Permafrost so i was holding it the whole time, one purely RNG drawn) with 21 units dead.

Here we fuckin' go, this run just turned right the fuck around boys.

I cast both Memories and then Spike of the Hellhorned the Branded Warrior, then next turn when Seraph gets to the 3rd floor I get the Spike again so I cast it again on the Branded Warrior and drop all the fodder i have in front of him

He trucks Seraph for 500+ damage a hit and knocks him the fuck out, salvaging the run

Orphane on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Wyvern wrote: »
    sanstodo wrote: »
    I’m finding remnant/Stygian is the most consistently powerful for C16+.
    Really? I've been feeling like Stygian Guard is universally the worst pick for the secondary slot. What cards do you look for in that build?

Just finished C19 with Remnant/Stygian. The reason is high level covenants require high rolls to win and no weaknesses during mid-game to bad rolls like sweep (murdering glass cannon or morsel builds) or harvest enemies (which hurts morsel builds).

Remnant gives you access to the best hero unit (the high stat burnout dude) who lets you easily win early game with a single reform or add burnout card. You often gets those for free. Reform lets you recover from mistakes or unit deaths that would otherwise end a run.

Stygian gives you access to the best damage mechanics in the game: frostbite and spell damage. I prefer frostbite because it's more reliable and comes free on the tank card. The revenge: frostbite tank plus largestone allows you to stack him and your hero on the bottom floor, killing everything essentially for free. You can use higher floors for utility units and cleanup for stragglers.

Also, you don't need additional energy, so you can spend pyre upgrades on draw or extra space, depending on what you get. Offering cards are good because extra draw lets you cycle cards essentially for free (and you'll have lots of deadweights to churn through in higher covenant levels).

The three best, most consistent mechanics in the game are reform, frostbite, and spell damage. The Stygian hero is a glass cannon and dies to bad rolls. So remnant/stygian gives you the best of all worlds.

Will you win every run? No. But will you get through early game consistently so you have a chance to win? Yes.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Doublestack/Holdover Engulfed in Smoke + Frostbite =

2zov3aF.jpg

Sans Seraph :cool:

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Here it is, a most degenerate run.

FDDA19C2863B99D6B1B63B5E0C89A7526F6B53AF

Overgorger had 820 attack by the end. Seraph went down turn 4.

All he had to do was wander into the Overgorger floor twice and he was dead. Dealing 800 damage to Seraph turn two was worth some maniacal laughter.

As was the new personal record of Ember played on an X-cost card. Before it was 9. Now it's 55.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I'm still not great at this game and not too far (only beaten one run so far), but man do I freakin' LOVE Penumbra.
    ceofa2d0e9l8.jpg

Eating all the things.

vamen on
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »
    I'm still not great at this game and not too far (only beaten one run so far), but man do I freakin' LOVE Penumbra.
    ceofa2d0e9l8.jpg

Eating all the things.

Thing is, remnant hero has more stats.....without doing anything.

That’s why remnant is so good. You automatically get a massive dude free of charge.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Had my first run on remnant/umbra ended by a random miniboss, harvest armor guys on every wave chunked me, and then boss had sweep and just mopped me up. Almost got it but was like 3 hp short. They seem fun tho, I really like the umbra and remnant play styles.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Had my first run on remnant/umbra ended by a random miniboss, harvest armor guys on every wave chunked me, and then boss had sweep and just mopped me up. Almost got it but was like 3 hp short. They seem fun tho, I really like the umbra and remnant play styles.

Umbra is super cool and i like them a lot, but I stopped playing them after a had a few runs prematurely end due to running into harvest mobs.

Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Here it is, a most degenerate run.

[img]https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1166943560960486613/FDDA19C2863B99D6B1B63B5E0C89A7526F 6B53AF/[/img]

Overgorger had 820 attack by the end. Seraph went down turn 4.

All he had to do was wander into the Overgorger floor twice and he was dead. Dealing 800 damage to Seraph turn two was worth some maniacal laughter.

As was the new personal record of Ember played on an X-cost card. Before it was 9. Now it's 55.

I had a Remnant run where I got a Bounty Stalker (Stealth 1 - Extinguish + 10Atk permanently), and the spell that gives a unit Endless. So I would let it die (or kill it myself), Reform it once to give it Burnout 1, and then I had a 2 capacity unit that couldn't be attacked for one turn, died and was returned to my hand with a permanent +10 Atk every turn.

I of course, slapped two Multi-strikes on it.

And then duped it at the end after it was over 200 base Atk. Around 1500 damage by a pair of stealthed units a turn. Not even sure what could have stopped them.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

Eating all the things.

That’s why remnant is so good. You automatically get a massive dude free of charge.

Yeah, Burnout Rector is crazy pants, but you do have to make sure you can top off his wick consistently, or he won't stick around long enough to chew through boss HP.

But, that's much easier to do than several other clans, because tons of your cards will help. Especially the Lady that increases burnout when she's hit, as well as any Reform you can apply to him.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »

Eating all the things.

Yeah, Burnout Rector is crazy pants, but you do have to make sure you can top off his wick consistently, or he won't stick around long enough to chew through boss HP.

But, that's much easier to do than several other clans, because tons of your cards will help. Especially the Lady that increases burnout when she's hit, as well as any Reform you can apply to him.

Yup. The game will drop random burnout buffs or reform into your deck anyway. Also you can save him during the first fight just for the boss if necessary.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I got 120 Spike stacks on my plant hero lady. Accomplished this by using the Spore spell (2 mana give 2 Regen and 2 Spikes then add a copy of the card to discard). I upgraded it to 1 mana and doubled the buffs to 4 each.

“Stop killing your self. Stop killing your self.”

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Today I learned there's a 999 cap on debuffs.

zR0NxL7.png

Frostbite needs to be nerfed hard.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I really wish I could just pick my starting cards and talent.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited June 2020

You can "reroll" pretty quickly (there's a button to reroll the run with the same clans in the menu).

It only breaks your "win streak" stat. Win streak is an interesting sort of bragging right of like "how good are you at rogue-like adaptability?"

I've been quite enjoying Monster Train lately. It is so much more extreme than slay the spire. But the sheer possibilities in combinations of clans is pretty cool.

I dipped back into Hellhorned + Awoken at Convenant Rank 20 and discovered a neat little trick. I had picked up the "Wrathful" Hellhorned Prince (armor on kill, gains rage when attacked). To be honest I never thought of this variant as being that good. Slayer prince (gets attack power on kill) and Multi-strike prince have a much better defined role and path to power. Kill stuff, hit hard, get protected, win games.

Things were going pretty well with the Wrathful Prince though. I figured with Awoken I could heal him. In reality all he really needs is spikes- with spikes he can kill back line units through thorns damage which will activate his "Slay" and give him insane armor. The rage mechanic helps him then translate that into boss kills.

However there's a Awoken Rare card, Adaptive Mutation, that heals you and switches your health and attack values. This switches your "post rage buff" attack value with your health... which is insanely strong when you have rage. You basically increase your health by your rage buff with no drawbacks. If you combine this with the Imp Scholar card you can get consumable cards back and repeat this forever. Basically your prince gets bigger by your rage value... a neat combo. I didn't get to do that much, but I was able to make a pretty good Wrathful Prince that blew up the final boss.
    After first swap
    wpmfkrq6n7dk.png
    After second swap
    xottcq358zb0.png

The thing with Monster Train is there are so many interlocking systems to take advantage of that making a creature like this is sort of rare... but it's not uncommon really. Things are getting harder in the higher covenants but most runs feel like they are winnable. By comparison higher level Slay the Spire ascensions are... well you're supposed to lose most of them.

Maybe a crazy rank 25 covenant modifier might change things though. I haven't looked ahead at the effects. It does feel like this game is missing something like Slay the Spire's optional secret boss. If you feel like things are going your way then challenge yourself and your deck even more...

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Today I learned there's a 999 cap on debuffs.

zR0NxL7.png

Frostbite needs to be nerfed hard.

The fact that there's an achievement for killing Seraph before he enters combat makes me think they are very aware of frost stacking. At higher covenant levels if you focus trying to stack on Seraph over the adds without a pretty specific deck build you're very likely going to die because standard mooks get really fucking dumb at high levels.

• Options
    Whoever said don't go full reform

FULL REFORM ALL THE TIME

• Options
    I got a gorger to 250 base and never found a multistrike rune for him. My poor, sad, mouthboy.

Steam
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    One thing that I really don't like is that some events have hidden extra outcomes.

Like you know that the event that gives you a choice between three nuke cards that are one use and then purged? If you take one and then don't use it, you get an artifact that changes Purge to Consume. And then you can do silly shit like this.

1RBfwFx.png

Yes, I have two of them.

And yet, the Seraph murdering win mode was the champion with max Frostbite, which I Double-Stack Furnace-Tapped (+2 Multistrike), so it was applying 120 Frostbite per attack.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

You can "reroll" pretty quickly (there's a button to reroll the run with the same clans in the menu).

It only breaks your "win streak" stat. Win streak is an interesting sort of bragging right of like "how good are you at rogue-like adaptability?"

I've been quite enjoying Monster Train lately. It is so much more extreme than slay the spire. But the sheer possibilities in combinations of clans is pretty cool.

I dipped back into Hellhorned + Awoken at Convenant Rank 20 and discovered a neat little trick. I had picked up the "Wrathful" Hellhorned Prince (armor on kill, gains rage when attacked). To be honest I never thought of this variant as being that good. Slayer prince (gets attack power on kill) and Multi-strike prince have a much better defined role and path to power. Kill stuff, hit hard, get protected, win games.

Things were going pretty well with the Wrathful Prince though. I figured with Awoken I could heal him. In reality all he really needs is spikes- with spikes he can kill back line units through thorns damage which will activate his "Slay" and give him insane armor. The rage mechanic helps him then translate that into boss kills.

However there's a Awoken Rare card, Adaptive Mutation, that heals you and switches your health and attack values. This switches your "post rage buff" attack value with your health... which is insanely strong when you have rage. You basically increase your health by your rage buff with no drawbacks. If you combine this with the Imp Scholar card you can get consumable cards back and repeat this forever. Basically your prince gets bigger by your rage value... a neat combo. I didn't get to do that much, but I was able to make a pretty good Wrathful Prince that blew up the final boss.
    After first swap
    wpmfkrq6n7dk.png
    After second swap
    xottcq358zb0.png

The thing with Monster Train is there are so many interlocking systems to take advantage of that making a creature like this is sort of rare... but it's not uncommon really. Things are getting harder in the higher covenants but most runs feel like they are winnable. By comparison higher level Slay the Spire ascensions are... well you're supposed to lose most of them.

Maybe a crazy rank 25 covenant modifier might change things though. I haven't looked ahead at the effects. It does feel like this game is missing something like Slay the Spire's optional secret boss. If you feel like things are going your way then challenge yourself and your deck even more...

That’s a neat trick, might try it. Also, some runs are definitely not winnable at higher covenant. But that’s part of the design so it’s acceptable. Just reroll and try again.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I think the thing I'm enjoying most with this game over StS is the focus on units and buffs instead of Artifacts/Relics. Granted, they are two very different games, but I always felt that Relic RNG and hoarding in StS is a bit too much, especially at higher levels.

Then again, MT could be the same way. I've only really begun after all.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    The main reason I like this game over slay the spire is that you need to spend much less time thinking. You (typically) have way less things to do per turn and instead spread that planning over the entire fight.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg