As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    So looks like a new nid later this year.

idOGIwrPQE3rzgKW.jpg

I've been wracking my brain all morning trying to figure out what this could be a part of. The only Finecast stuff waiting on a plastic conversion are Lictors, Biovores and Pyrovores, none of which have a long, stabby thing on the end of a tail or tentacle.

The only existing unit I could think of was the Parasite of Mortrex, which hasn't been in a codex since I think 3E? Would work as a flying Tyranids stinger.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really having flying warriors would be awesome as well as the tyrant, having gargoyles count as troops as it would be fun to have an all flying army

I know a plastic lictor is high on my list
    I have and will wait for an all plastic eldar army it will happen in my lifetime

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Plastic Shrikes and Lictors could absolutely share a box with the Parasite (and the Deathleaper). Shrikes have the same armour value as Lictors and the fluff said they were lesser armoured than Warriors. They could get away with the same body back, same legs, pelvis and tail, same head without face, and the Lictors Rending Claws would work on the lower arms of the Shrikes. That leaves different faces (normal Warrior style face and tentacled face), different top arms (wings for Shrikes, Scything Talons for Lictors), front torsos that are plain for Shrikes and with Fleshhooks for Lictors, and any weapon options they want to give Shrikes.

Then they could throw in a different pelvis for the Parasite with a different tail, different Scything Talons for the Deathleaper, and have a 4 unit box.

The only problem I could see if Shrikes will be left without a set of arms available, but they could get away with that by giving them whatever melee arm options they want and thorax guns on front torsos like Ravagers.

However, if they did a Parasite model I'm expecting a single pose solo model. GW are never giving us official Winged Warriors/Shrikes. FW dropping the wings for sale and removing them from their rules was the final nail in the coffin (yes, this could be a prelude to getting plastic minis, but this is GW and Tyranids, we're not getting them :( )

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Honestly Shrikes cost way way way too much for what they actually brought to the table unless I am wildly misremembering

About their only utility was keeping up with and providing synapse to Hormagaunts sprinting across the whole board in one turn

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Sure, but points are hardly an unfixable problem with them if they gave them a plastic kit.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Nealneal wrote: »
    So something just occurred to me, I plan on painting and playing my Space Marine army as Blood Ravens, but per the fluff, Blood Ravens founding chapter is unknown.

Does that mean I get to treat them as a custom chapter? Or do they have some specialized rules I haven’t seen somewhere? Or can I just copy the rules from Blood Angels?

Hello fellow Blood Raven. So, the Imperial Armor book that came out recently has the Chapter Trait stuff for Blood Ravens. They recommend (not require) that you use the Ultramarines as their Founding Chapter and take Stalwart and Knowledge is Power as your Chapter Traits.

Which I personally do because I find them fluffy and fun and hell that’s why I’m here.

BUT... you do you. The rules for them are explicitly a recommendation. I doubt anyone cares what you paint your dudes so long as you are up front on what rules you’re using.

Based on the Dawn of War novels, it is *heavily* implied that Blood Ravens are T-Sons genestock and have a larger than average Libarius.

In other news, I'm getting out of my funk and assembling my Japanese Plague Marines tonight.:D

I think one of the authors said on Twitter (or in some interview, I can't remember) that that wasn't really an official thing, but was more of something that an author got away with, and that afterward GW had put down a decree that there would be no more "nudge nudge, hint hint" things written about the Blood Ravens. Supposedly GW wants their origins to be 100% unknown and wide open so that tabletop players can decide on their own.

The Japanese Plague Marines are awesome models, and a lot of fun to build. The gross little nurglings they all have have a ton of character.

I picked up a Canis Rex kit the other day for a ridiculous price. I have decided that tonight is going to be a Knight Night, meaning that after I eat dinner I am either going to build a 40K Knight, or I am going to put some paint on some Adeptus Titanicus Knights. Probably the latter as I want to magnetize the Rex kit but I don't have the right size magnets on hand right now.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The blurb for that rumor doesn't really suggest it's a Tyranid tho. If it is, my guess would be a Plastic Lictor kit.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I don't get why GW would want to stop the "wink wink" stuff for Blood Ravens, after all them being T-Sons scions is so ingrained in the cultural zeitgeist now that you might as well just let it happen anyway.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Yea, being a loyalist successor of one of the original heretic chapters is pretty cool, I wish we'd see more of it. Or even guys who went Chaos and regret it, the Imperium will never forgive them but still this Renegade chapter fights its own eternal war to defend it, using their dark gifts and mutations against their former masters.

It basically writes itself and is exactly the kind of grimdark funtimes special snowflake action people look for.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That's basically the cursed 21. Founding chapters.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Yea, being a loyalist successor of one of the original heretic chapters is pretty cool, I wish we'd see more of it. Or even guys who went Chaos and regret it, the Imperium will never forgive them but still this Renegade chapter fights its own eternal war to defend it, using their dark gifts and mutations against their former masters.

It basically writes itself and is exactly the kind of grimdark funtimes special snowflake action people look for.

Grey Knights have a few. Black shields in Deathwatch are this as well. I guess a few of the original legions absorbed some of the loyalist brothers from heretic legions as well.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Grey_Knights#Origins
    Malcador found twelve worthy champions; four were lords and administrators, and eight were Space Marines from both loyalist and traitor legions. These included survivors of the Eisenstein incident, Nathaniel Garro, Amendera Kendel, Lemuel Gaumon, and Kyril Sindermann. During the founding of the organisation others would join them including Tylos Rubio, Macer Varren, Janus, Epimetheus, Khyron, and Garviel Loken.[19] [20] [21] Many of the Space Marines that joined the cause hailed from Legions that had turned traitor, though they themselves had remained loyal to the Emperor. However, not all of these Knights-Errant would go on to form the Grey Knights. Ultimately shortly before the Siege of Terra, Malcador gathered the original Grey Knights to his side. Their original identities were made secret, but were known to history as Janus, Epimetheus, Khyron, Koios, Ogen, Iapto, Yotun, and Satre. Once they had been gathered, the Emperor surveyed the chosen recruits and granted both his approval and consent to proceed with the project. So the recruits split ways to go off towards separate tasks; the four lords ventured off to lay the framework of the Inquisition, whilst the Space Marines and Malcador traveled to Saturn's moon of Titan.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The Inquisition is far messier about who created it

• Options
    I was thinking. We know a lot of traitor legion folks who stayed loyal but what about loyal legion folks who turned traitor in the HH? I can't think of any big names.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    I was thinking. We know a lot of traitor legion folks who stayed loyal but what about loyal legion folks who turned traitor in the HH? I can't think of any big names.

You mean apart from the dark angels? :winky:

But seriously though, Luther is the biggie, right? Plus all the other Calibanite DA.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

But seriously though, Luther is the biggie, right? Plus all the other Calibanite DA.

A bunch of White Scars wanted to/did side with Horus

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

I did mine as loyal night lords
    bo5hnezvn1zt.png
    Basically they are my all phobos armor space marine army I still am working out the icon I want and the name as I am thinking of the Crimson Suns {as the Crimson sons are a real unknown night lord company from pre heresy era
    The Crimson Sons were a group of Space Marines formed from the remnants of the VIIIth Legion's 9th Company, which was nearly destroyed in pacifying the domain of Oxitania on Terra, during the Unification Wars.

The survivors were then ironically oathbonded to Gotha, Oxitania's former King, who was given the rank of Rogue Trader by the Emperor, instead of being executed. The Crimson Sons remained in Gotha's service for some time, until they were allowed to reunite with their Legion. What became of the Crimson Sons afterwards is unknown, but they may have been killed in one of the countless battles that followed the Dropsite Massacre.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

A bunch of White Scars wanted to/did side with Horus

They got merked though.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    The blackstone escalation set I bought on ebay got canceled. Apparently the warehouse it is at is under quarantine.

Guess I'll wait to see if it becomes available through GW at retail price now.

Never finished organizing hobby stuff a while back. Trying to do it again. Feeling so overwhelmed. I really need to find a way to organize sprue with bits and to throw away boxes and empty sprue.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    You could clip the unused bits off and put them in separated craft trays. That’s what I do.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    EDIT: deleted!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    The Las Vegas Nopen has started. It is streaming on 40kStatsCenter aka the Ocho.

Event info is here:
    https://www.lasvegasnopen.net/

It isn't a real Las Vegas Open but it has big names across the world and totally worth your time to watch if like some competitive 40k.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Finally got a game lined up in a couple of weeks. Going to try a Tyranid/Genestealer Cult list. Tyranids will have a lot of dakka (Tyrant with Deathspitters and a Stranglethorn Cannon, two Carnifexes with Devourers and scything talons, an Exocrine, 3 Warriors with Deathspitters and a Venom Cannon, 3 Zoanthropes and 2 squads of 15 Termagants). Genestealers will bring some melee pain and a bit more firepower (Patriarch, Acolytes with 4 Rock Saws, Metamorphs with Hand Flamers and assorted close combat weapons, and a Ridgerunner with a Heavy Mining Laser).

I'm assuming my friend will be playing Dark Eldar, which means 3 units of Wyches in Raiders, Succubus in a Venom (probably 2 of them), Hellions, Reavers, Scourges and one of their aircraft (guessing it'll be a Voidraven).

Last time I faced his full Wych army (waaaaay back in 6th edition), I was using close combat oriented Tyranids, and it was a tough, tough slog. We basically just bashed each others brains in until the table was just objectives and pools of blood. So on the one hand, I'll be bringing some decent ranged firepower this time, backed up by some strong melee that can appear anywhere on the table. On the other hand, I've never faced aircraft so I'm not sure how my relatively short range will handle it.

But. It gonna be fuuuun.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Turned out a games tore an hour drive away had a copy of blackstone fortress escalation so I got a copy of blackstone fortress, ascension, and escalation at retail price.

Glad that ebay order got canceled.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I do wonder if GW stores keep things in stock until they sell out as I think they do [it's why my brother has two cans of the fang spray} As I have not been to the store at all since the pandemic so I wonder if they will have some of the parts I am looking for

• Options
    Don't GW stores get told to send stuff back once GW are done selling it? IIRC when Dreadfleet failed to sell well all stores were told to send them back.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Don't GW stores get told to send stuff back once GW are done selling it? IIRC when Dreadfleet failed to sell well all stores were told to send them back.

That might be one case but with things like the fang spray they just might let the stock sell though without allowing reorders they had the audio plays that I knew were quick out of stock for the cd when i last when on the eve of the pandemic
    hjs9ra37rct8.png
    As that one was out of stock back in early 2019
    As I was looking for certain things but the GW store in town is selling stuff out the door by having you call in your order. I am curious if they are still running the paint deal and if they have sprays as I am tempted to get them that way instead of getting them mailed {I was looking to get a lot of black primer as I over the pandemic I built nearly all my drukhari and necrons last year so that's at least 1 1/2 cans and a mech gray can as we will probably use that up as well}

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Finished The Infinite and the Divine, which was excellent. Far more fleshed out than most Xenos stories are. Really a very good GW novel.

I've moved on to Indomitus by Gav Thorpe.... it's... not good.

Spoilered for mild spoilers...
    It's jarring going from a book with very well written Necrons with their own agendas and histories to a book where the main antagonist is a preening idiot.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular

It's not even a matter of selling well (or at least these days anyway) most GW stores don't have the shelf space to keep stock of everything, so every few months they get a list of products they need to box up and send back to HQ. Even big, successful items like the first Warcry starter box only stick around in stores for so long.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Any news on when the next supplements will launch?

DA was the last of the "non-supplement" chapters from 8th, so I'm hoping we'll see the new UM supplement soon. UM is still really good but you can feel the power creep from these new codexes. Notably Roboute is due for some kind of buff after Mortarion and I'd like to see some less ho hum rules for UM that align with some of the fun toys DA/BA/SW/DW got.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

DA was the last of the "non-supplement" chapters from 8th, so I'm hoping we'll see the new UM supplement soon. UM is still really good but you can feel the power creep from these new codexes. Notably Roboute is due for some kind of buff after Mortarion and I'd like to see some less ho hum rules for UM that align with some of the fun toys DA/BA/SW/DW got.
    but ho hum is the UM motto, they are the plain white toast of the 40k world.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Viking wrote: »

To a point, yes, but I'm talking about the general layering of the rules. UM needs like one extra something like all the new 9th supplements have gotten.

I love white toast...I just want a bit of strawberry jam with it.

e: And replace UM with Salamanders, Raven Guard, Imperial Fists, White Scars and Iron Hands here as they all need a small refresh to keep up with 9th. Not complete re-works, just tweaks and small refreshes.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    that is one of the annoying things as the primaris are as vanilla as you can get for a look but they lack all the character for some of the chapters
    As the look of certain models doesn't work for certain chapters. It's either awards they have on the model or the head a combo of both
    The Phobos cpt is a great example of this

I know one of the new supplements is the Drukhari codex so even though getting the necron one is a debate when I get paid again
    The box set is another one but seeing how people parted out the last couple of boxes and oddly the last one the Shadow n Pain the slaanesh stuff was the hot item compared to the DoK
    So I feel the SoB will be if they part this box out as well but do I really want more wyches?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

To a point, yes, but I'm talking about the general layering of the rules. UM needs like one extra something like all the new 9th supplements have gotten.

I love white toast...I just want a bit of strawberry jam with it.

e: And replace UM with Salamanders, Raven Guard, Imperial Fists, White Scars and Iron Hands here as they all need a small refresh to keep up with 9th. Not complete re-works, just tweaks and small refreshes.

I'm sure that there are a quite a lot of Marine players who do want their individual chapter supplements updated, but.

There have been so many Marine releases over the last year and a half. So many. Please. Please let other factions get some releases.

• Options
    Gib me more bugs.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    My poor Tau need to much love

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I’d say I want more Genestealers but they got like 11 kits in 2019.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I wonder in which direction a tau expansion would go. Even more suits? A second tank (would probably be nice for all xenos)? A non goofy plane, maybe those forgeworld drones? Or more alien races?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

You mean genestealer cultists? Because a new kit of actual genestealers would be great. Especially with modern component density to add options like pouches and tattered rags of uniform, as well as weapon options for the Fleets. By which I mean that cultists get fixed pattern generic ‘stealers while the Hive Mind can mutate the ones it directly grows.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honovere wrote: »
    I wonder in which direction a tau expansion would go. Even more suits? A second tank (would probably be nice for all xenos)? A non goofy plane, maybe those forgeworld drones? Or more alien races?

I'd like some new toys for crisis suits, a new troop option, and some new species auxillary. Last two probably would be the same thing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

You mean genestealer cultists? Because a new kit of actual genestealers would be great. Especially with modern component density to add options like pouches and tattered rags of uniform, as well as weapon options for the Fleets. By which I mean that cultists get fixed pattern generic ‘stealers while the Hive Mind can mutate the ones it directly grows.

I’d love a new Purestrain kit using the design of the Purestrains in Deathwatch Overkill, which are more like the original design.

Keep both boxes available so there’s visually different Hivestrain and Purestrain Genestealers.