[PbP] Godbound: There Came A Time When The Old Gods Died!

124

Posts

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "I have no preference between trails. Both sound challenging in their own ways, and will come with unexpected difficulties I am sure." The young man leans back casually as the others eat, not partaking himself as he has no need to. He would defer to Jason first if he had to cast a tie breaking vote, but given the rumors of the two places, he assumed his 3 companions would be able to reach an agreement without needing a strong opinion from him.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr warms his soles against the fire.
    "I'm not sure if we need to hurry to our destination.
    Perhaps we could look into both the Fishers and the Watchers before arriving?
    Otherwise, if someone could lend me a pen and paper, I'm happy with passing past the Watchers"

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited June 26
    Burr figures if the troop goes past the Watchers, he can find a likely caravan going through the woods and put a Finger on the scale to leave a message for the Fishers.
    If they're recruiting strong people for some task, then perhaps they need aid, and they can either send a message along with the caravan to Curm, or get a message out to us some other way.

    (I also reread the Deception word, and realised it might also be the Truth word, so maybe Burr's assessment of Ina might have been too harsh on the previous page)

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ina shrugs, "The Watchers seem easy enough to deal with. We can always check on the Fishers on our way out. I can't imagine they'll be sneaking off anywhere on 10-foot stilts. She smirks.

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    The Watchers it is!

    The ladders and "stairs" (piles of debris to climb, made into a makeshift stairwell) to Lockhammer Pass sit perilously on the outskirts of Whisper Downs.

    Once you climb to the top, you find yourself about 50 feet above the ground. It seems this was an aqueduct, once. Now, the water is long gone, and the empty pathway has been repurposed into the Pass. The woods below, more burned out husks of trees than forest proper, stretch infinitely in nearly every direction, except behind you, where they collide with the remnants of buildings that make up Anur-Azek.

    No sooner do you arrive before you hear the buzzing from the distance, moving closer. Soon enough, on both sides of you, there are two giant mechanized Dragonflies, with a heavily armed mercenary saddled on its back. One, an older woman with a scar over her eye, her hair pulled back into a ponytail, and a mace dangling by her side. The other, a heavily tattooed person, thick goggles over their eyes and three (three!) sabers strapped to their back.

    The tattooed rider speaks up. "Welcome to the pass. Name's Murker, this is Cawharper. It's our job to make sure you get where you're going safely, and you follow the rules. Before we get into the business half of whatnot, tell us, where're ya headed, friends?"

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ----
    Later the previous night, Burr moves around the Whisper Downs looking for a likely camp.
    He finds one, a small caravan, overflowing with noise and people, but not in good repair.

    'Hail!', Burr announces, stepping into the light near some serious-faced adults, 'Room for one more?'
    An exasperated man stands up to ward Burr off.
    'Not likely; this ain't the ride you're after anyway stranger'.
    Burr glances this way and that. 'Surely you're headed to Curm like the rest of the caravans? I travel light, and I don't need much space.'
    The man spits, 'Look, traveler, we're headed through the forest. I don't know what you've heard about the place, but we're ill-equipped to save ourselves, let alone another waif. Go find someone who'll take you who's sticking to the main road.'

    Burr focuses on the man.
    His weathered face, and pained expression.
    That he is a father as well as the leader of the troop.
    Of a body wracked by travel, but strengthened from the troubles he's seen.

    'Well, I hope to see you in Curm. Burr, by the way, Mr.?'
    The man turns back to the fire, where the others are figuring how to manage the caravan should they be beset, 'Gaile. Now off with you.'

    Burr whistles softly as he moves back through the caravan.
    Stopping only momentarily to slip his letter in under the lead wagon's seat, followed by the small coin he earned working the worm pits.
    These people need it more than him.

    (Burr expends 1 effort for the day to use Hand on the balance. When Gaile fears for his life, or is being abducted, Burr gets one round to act near Gaile, but is imperceptible to those near him)
    ----


    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    (Love it. Will keep that in mind.)

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    ((Going forward, me being the Face will only lead to terrible things for us, but wanted to get us kicked off))

    Zane has to fight his hands from reaching for his bow as two mechanized mounts appear around them. There likely was a conversation that needed to be had with these Watchers before anything else happened. Zane also knew that he wasn't the fighter in the group, so he wasn't ever going to be the first to make a move. He would support his party, but there wasn't a point is needless injuries or death.

    Still, maybe a neutral voice would soothe emotions. "Hello Murker. I am Zane, and these are my traveling companions. We're looking to head toward Curm. My friend here, " the young man nods towards Jason, " has some old friends who live near the city and we've heard of the unrest, so he asked us to go check up on them and make sure they were doing well."



  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ((Ina is definitely mechanically the face but I enjoy when characters other than the face are the first to talk as it makes things more interesting and makes it less likely the face dominates conversations.))

    AustinP0027
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Murker chuckles to themself. "Curm? Jeez, y'all are in for the long haul. Alright, let's get moving, friendos. We should be there by morning, easy-peezy lemon squeezy."

    Cawharper speaks up as you all start to walk. "Couple rules, and a misconception to clear up. We'll start with the misconception: you heard anything about payment, put it out of yer minds. Cities pay us good money to keep people safe, you don't need to spend a dime."

    Murker leans over to chime in. "Tips are accepted and appreciated though."

    "Tips are appreciated and accepted," Cawharper laughs. "Now, then, the rules of the road are pretty simple: No illegal activity on the road, that means no violence, no otherworldly magic, and no selling or receiving of dangerous substances. That's all the easy stuff."

    "The other big thing," Murker continues, "is you're on the road, you stay on the road. If you attempt to leave for any reason, we are authorized to detain you or worse. Smugglers all the time try to hop on or off the road between stops to pick up or drop off illegal shipments. We've been instructed to shut that down with EXTREME judiciousness if we need to, don't make us do so."

    Cawhammer sits silent for a moment. "Any questions?"

    (Burr, does your ability kick in only when Gaille KNOWS he's in danger, or does it kick in beforehand? And what does that feel like, when you sense someone is in danger?)

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 30
    Ina raises an eyebrow. "Cities pay you, eh? 'zat mean you're dealin' with Bastion?"

    ((Just as a reminder in case you don't already have all our abilities memorized: Ina can always tell when someone's trying to lie to her or deceive her unless it's a Godbound.))

    admanb on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    (Totally did not know that! But, rather shockingly, you know they're being legit. About all of it. In fact the only part they're lying about is hoping you don't leave the road. Because you get the sickly feeling that they're itching for someone to test them on that front.)

    "Bastion, Kane, a few of the enclave-heads out of 'Azur. Watchers get coin from a lot of hands. Lot of people benefit from a safe road, after all."

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ina clasps her hands behind her back and circles Cawharper’s mount as if admiring it. “One o’ you ever meet with Bastion or is that someone else’s job? Only I hear he’s a mean bastard and, well, it’s good to know all you can about mean bastards before you get to close.” She stops in front of Cawharper and gives the old woman a wink, “You look like you know what I mean, eh?

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    (Burr, does your ability kick in only when Gaille KNOWS he's in danger, or does it kick in beforehand? And what does that feel like, when you sense someone is in danger?)

    (The power tells me when a certain event has happened.

    The best way Burr can describe it is like a pressure in your head.
    You feel stretched thin, and the pressure increases as the event comes closer and more likely, until eventually it happens.
    Near that point, you start feeling double as the timelines get pulled together.
    You and the you that went the other direction with your target.
    At the point, it's often best to either go and sit down, eyes shut, to deal with the impulse from the other line, or dismiss the connection entirely.

    So the person you want to watch at gambling is not the Luck Godbound, but the Time Godbound constantly scoffing painkillers.

    Burr's not sure what happens when the lines diverge entirely.
    Such a trigger doesn't seem to have the presence that an imminent or likely event leaves resting on him.
    But that's not to say the trigger is removed.
    It might just be sufficiently estranged as to be no longer perceptible.

    That said, if asked, Burr would say that such a power is not a big deal.
    It is after all only the oldest version of travel.
    Moving at a second per second.

    As for this trigger, Burr doesn't know what the Watchers are, nor whether they will actually pose a mortal threat.
    So the trigger is for when Gaille feels in imminent mortal danger.
    Burr being keyed to Passion and emotion after all.
    We're not talking scared, although the pressure will increase as Gaille's fear increases.
    But Gaille must be presented with a tangible threat that he feels poses a significant or mortal harm to himself.

    Burr tried to hedge it with 'or is abducted' but.. that might be too much for a trigger.)


    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited June 30
    Jason considers our new friends and their weapons. "What kind of dangers do you see out here, needing those weapons and those mounts?"

    Also, for my Luck Word power, here's a d20. I can keep this for the whole day and replace any roll I know someone is making with it.

    Geth roll 1d20 for daily luck

    daily luck:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]

    Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 1
    Cawharper chuckles. "Oh, I've met Bastion many a time. He's a sweetheart to us, which tells ya either hes a coward, or the kind of person who's a sweetheart to someone like US."

    "And I'm not sure which is worse." Murker chuckles, then listens to Jason's question. "Well, bandits and smugglers, but we already mentioned them. And I'm sure you've heard about the Split-Legged Fishers."

    "They're no joke, the Fishers."

    "No joke at all. People think, 'oh, they're just bandits,' or 'oh, they're just using stilts and smoke.' I've seen 'em, though. Gigantic things, closer to a mantis 'n' a human. Big hooked bladed hands. The ten-foot thing is an exaggeration, mind ya, but only by a bit. Cawhammer, what would ya put 'em at?"

    "Oh, seven feet. Six to seven feet. Taller 'n' a human, but not gigantic."

    "So, you've got bandits. Fishers. Wild animals. Rogue war machines, come awakened and looking for a fight. All kindsa stuff."

    (Ina... not a word of untruth.)

    You've been walking now for awhile, Whisper Downs quickly becoming a distant memory. Beneath you, trees and ruin in every direction.

    Suddenly, a rustling in the trees below. And suddenly, Burr, you feel an all-too-familiar pressure in your head...

    And Cawhammer and Murker couldn't even be bothered to look down, too caught up in the conversation.

    Dex Dynamo on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr grits his teeth as the smell of the forest floor impinges on his nostrils.

    "I don't suppose these are your Fishers?", Burr asks as he walks over to look at the crashing trees.

    (What does Burr see in the disturbance?)

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Jason has been listening easily to the ongoing conversation, with no particularly strong engagement, but notes in passing the disturbance below...

    Then, when Burr focuses on it, Jason prepares himself for whatever action is necessary.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zane keeps his eyes on Cawharper and Murker even as his companions focus elsewhere. He doesn't trust these two, even if they claim they are paid guides.

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    The rustling in the trees grows louder. Below, some more brittle ones collapse in a heap of dust and splinters.
    Burr, the pounding in your head is awful persistent now, and you're hearing a heavy breathing in your ears that is not your own. You can only assume whose breathing it is.

    Cawharper leans forward, her dragonfly speeding up just a pinch. "Ohhhh, yeah, that's the Fishers. Sounds like they found a target."

    Murker grows loud and forceful for a moment. "Alright, kids, time for a rules refresher. We stay on the road, we keep moving, we stay safe. Sounds like the Fishers have a target, but the last thing we want is for them to get bored and start climbing."

    They slow down just enough to keep pace with the four of you, hands hovering over their weapons... just in case.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 2
    How far away are the rustling trees from the aqueduct? Is it jumpable?
    Laterally that is.

    And how high up are we.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    You're about 50 feet up, with some trees reaching 20, 30 feet. So, it's a tough jump, but you can make it.

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ina sighs. "Ya have yer rules, but I think ye'll find it's better for all o' us if ya just relax, she says quietly, but the words thrum in a way that is perceptible only to her companions.

    (Commit Effort to use Conviction of Error on Cawharper and Murker: they lose belief in their own rules, particularly the one about straying from the path.)

    "Go on Burr -- do what ya gotta do."

    InvictusAustinP0027
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    If Ina's ability seems to fail against precisely one of our new friends, I'd like to replace their save with the 2 I rolled above. Perhaps as Ina was doing her work, the target just happened to think about some other time where the rule turned out badly...

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Cawharper rears back on her dragonfly and reaches for her mace. "What did you just say to me, you... you..."

    Murker crawls to a halt. "Wait, you're not gonna let them..."

    Cawharper rests her elbows on the dragonfly. "I mean... those people are in danger, after all..."

    "No, you definitely do have a point..."

    "I mean, these folk seem honest, right, Murker?"

    "... If anyone asks, you overpowered us, got it?"

    (Save your roll, @Invictus: These two aren't Worthy foes... though the same can't be said for the Fishers below.)

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2
    "A'course, sweetheart. Very honest," Ina says to Cawharper with a wink.

    admanb on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zane watches carefully as their two guides relax, clearly influenced by Ina's words.

    So instead, he moves to the edge of the pathway to peer down, looking for the source of the rustling below.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 2
    (So I'm not sure what inherent powers we're given by our words.
    It says in the book that if a Godbound of Earth were to hit a stone pillar with a hammer to destroy it, then they should be able to, no roll necessary.
    Can Burr cause liquifaction on a patch of soil surrounding him by stomping on it?

    Otherwise he's going to attempt to catch himself.)

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    (That's dope as hell, which means... yes. Also, you landing safely is the least interesting part of the scene, so land safely and do whatever cool thing you want to do next.)

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    If he's landing safely that way, I'm following him down, though a little slower. I commit effort for the scene for there to be By Chance a support pillar near us on the aqueduct that has some damage that makes it easily climbable. I am also prepared to produce climbing gear as necessary, via Thousand Tools to get down quickly.

    Invictus on
    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Well.. you're all free to share my mud puddle.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    (Ina will watch from above for now as if she needs to get down there she can do so instantly.)

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    (Zane doesn't have anything fancy that will let him down there, so he'll just watch from above)

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    (Zane doesn't have anything fancy that will let him down there, so he'll just watch from above)

    If my power works like I want it to, you do have an easy spot to climb down from.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr barely hears the Watchers equivocating above him.
    Burr is too busy launching himself full tilt off the aqueduct.

    Opening his eyes, Burr find himself next to a terrified Gaille.
    'Everyone form up! They're coming! Women and kids in the caravans!'
    Burr's head swims as he runs over to the aqueduct.
    With all eyes open, Burr stomps the ground where he's about to land, turning the forest floor to a softer quicksand.

    A sudden squelch later, one Burr hauls the other out of the ground ready to deal with whoever or whatever these Watchers are.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    Gaille looks up at you, Burr, with a mixture of comfort and terror in his eyes. You're not sure if it's terror at what's coming, or at you.

    But he runs, along with everyone else, towards their caravan wagons. The rustling of the trees seems to surround you on all sides now, until the first Split-Legged Fisher leaps forth from the tree, towering over you at seven feet high.

    wiq6p9koqkx8.png

    It stands to face you on crooked, hooved legs, a massive shell on its back. It opens its beak, and tinny the stench of blood floods your nostrils as it screeches in your face. And sure enough, its hands are long, curved blades, capable of not only goring you, but trapping you in place to carry you off, or tear you to shreds here and now.

    But somehow, what's most concerning staring down this seven foot monstrosity is the rustling in the trees, the flashes of bone-like steel leaping from branch to branch, and the story you heard about them earlier.

    "If you see one Split-Legged Fisher, there are 10 more waiting for you in the trees."

    Combat has begun. Godbound, you go first.

    Dex Dynamo on
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Let me know when I arrive! I assume Burr should go first, as he is the one facing down a Fisher.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Because you spent Effort to do so, I'd say you're able to get down pretty quickly — Burr probably goes before you, but you're on the ground by the time combat starts proper.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    Burr looks up at the beast.
    "I don't suppose you're open to negotiation?", he states as he rushes forward.

    With the last second of stereo rushing past him, Burr punches the left leg whilst his image punches the right.
    Split leg indeed.

    Geth roll 2#1d20+4 for hit
    Geth roll 2#1d10+3 for damage

    So 2 damage probably

    hit:
    2#1d20+4 2 # 19 [1d20=15] 9 [1d20=5]
    damage:
    2#1d10+3 2 # 6 [1d10=3] 5 [1d10=2]

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Two damage indeed. The Fisher falls to the ground, still in the fight but driven beak-first into the mud.

    It's then that two more drop from trees behind you, Burr. Several more are still racing through the trees towards the caravan, with at least one more dashing outwards towards the column Jason is climbing down. Sure enough, actively engaging them has driven 6 to 10 of them out of the trees, surrounding you on all sides... with several hanging from branches, eyeing Ina and Zane above.

    (OOC: This isn't an action, just establishing that this is one enemy, a Mob Of Split-Legged Fishers. Just putting the full mob on the table, so to speak.)

Sign In or Register to comment.