[PbP] Godbound: There Came A Time When The Old Gods Died!

12346

Posts

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    "People comin' in? Nah, you can walk right by them, won't raise a finger. Which just raises the question..."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "Probably hoping the ground opens up and swallows them", Burr chuckles darkly.
    His eyes flick to Jason, and he coughs, quickly suppressing the sarcasm.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    "A warnin'? Maybe to those inside as much as us. Imagine bein' surrounded by those day-in and day-out," Ina shudders, "that'd do ya ill."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr clasps his hands together and stretches.
    "These monoliths are all interesting and all, but who's up for a trek to that sinkhole that just opened up?
    See how deep it runs or some such"

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zane’s lips press together. “Do we really just want to jump directly into one of those? Wouldn’t it be better to head into town and see what’s going on?

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr stops listening with his feet for a moment.
    "I suppose. Seems pretty plain to me what their main trouble is though"

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    (A question for everybody but @Dex Dynamo in particular -- how do we feel about splitting the party? I'm always down for a split to spotlight more PCs and see more aspects of the conflict and I think this is a moment where our characters would do that but if others prefer to focus on one thread at a time I'm totally cool with it.)

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    (I’m fine with it and Zane would go along with it within reason. I would recommend we don’t end up with someone by themselves though, I’d rather play up the group aspects more than have solo adventures keep happening)

    discrider
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    (I'm fine with moving with everyone else, just wasn't sure what this scene was, and so was making conversation. If we all just land in town, I'm fine with that)

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    (Split away!)

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    "I'd prefer to see what this Bastion is doing with these machines, whether there really is something in the nearby chasms or whether they're just a method of control."

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    (So is everyone jumping into a chasm or are Jason & Ina pressing through into town?)

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    (Those pairs sound good to me)

    Ina looks into the sinkhole with distaste. “Ahm sure you can find somethin’ interestin’ down there, Burr, but Ah don’t think it’s for me. How ‘bout we pair up for a tick and meet back up later?”

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 14
    (It sounds like everyone might be pressing into town)

    "The rocks can wait.", shrugs Burr, "A day or so shouldn't matter to them."
    "It's probably best to see what folks have heard before venturing too close to the holes anyway.
    Just hard to think past my feet sometimes"

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zane takes a moment to peer down into the chasm. "It's fine, Burr. You're just ahead of us. We'll probably need to head down there next."

    He raises his head back towards Curm. "Let's go into town, gather some information, and decide what we need to do next."

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 15
    You pass by the war machines, and catch a whiff of the smoke billowing from their gasket. The smell doesn't seem to fade, even after you've gone well past them.

    Jason, you feel a heaviness in your step, and hear a wheezing, whining noise in the back of your mind... something, somewhere is trapped.

    But you all pass by without incident, and arrive in the town of Curm. It is a bustling borough, rowhomes crammed on top of each other, but still maintaining the rustic charm of houses in the country. The aqueduct passes directly overhead, but Murker and Cawharper stop dead at the entrance of town.

    xhkmtpenaj24.png

    "Alright, friendos, this here is your stop." Murker leans back on their dragonfly. "Y'all take care now."

    "And, uh," Cawharper, for the first time you've known her, seems to stumble over her words. "If you need anything... at all... you know where to find us, yeah?" And with that, they embark, Cawharper looking back periodically, Murker seemingly paying you all no mind.

    As you descend, evening begins to roll in, and the town remains abuzz with activity, people strolling the streets with ease and comfort... not quite what you expected. Though the armored soldier you see walking a patrol, heavy crossbow in his hand, seems to corroborate some of what you've heard.

    There seems to be an open-air market happening alone the main road of Curm, along the path of the aqueduct. You've stumbled right into it.

    The last detail to mention is you see more shapes in the distance to the East... but these don't look like war machines. In fact, you can just make one out, past the lines of houses... it's a beautiful, giant statue made of scrap, a sculpture of a person reaching one hand into the sky.

    Dex Dynamo on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    "Information gatherin' is mah favorite part." Ina turns to the rest of her group, "Ahm gonna walk the market, see what I can hear or if anythin' seems outta place. Ya'll can follow me if ya want but it might be best we don't move all us one." She looks the three men up and down, "we cut a... strikin' figure."

    Ina will make her way into the market and walk it. Chatting with people who are interested in chatting, listening when people think no one's listening, and looking out for anyone who seems like they might be doing the same. She doesn't comment if anyone from the group follows her but she also doesn't acknowledge them as she moves through the crowd.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    "I want to find their sick." Zane says in response to Ina. His primary interest in coming to Curm was to first see to it's people, find those who might be suffering and see if he could help.

    Zane doesn't leave the others just yet, though, as he isn't keen on wandering off by himself and leaving the others alone. They were trying to keep a low profile, but completely separating may not be the best idea before they knew what they had just walked into.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr bundles his cloak up around his waist.
    "Well, I'll be sleeping rough. The least tend to see the most, after all. Is fine if you want to find a bed somewhere instead."

    Burr waits for a response before eschewing the light and scouting some likely looking alleys.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    I’ll go with you Burr. I don’t sleep so beds don’t mean much to me.” Zane steps towards Burr ready to head deeper into town. “I would guess our two goals would along as well. Those you will find may also be the ones I am looking for.

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    "I'd like to get an up-close look at either a War Machine or that statue to the east..."

    Jason seems distracted and uneasy.

    "There is someone here who... is being kept.

    @Dex Dynamo I want to learn about who made either or both the War Machines and the statues. I would like to get close enough to use the gift Mark the Maker as a miracle. If I understand miracles correctly, that will involve committing effort for the day, but that seems fine. Full description of that gift here.
    With an action’s careful inspection, you understand the purpose and operation of any crafted object, magical or mundane. You also gain a brief vision of each person who substantially helped in its creation, and a short description of what they contributed to it.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    (Have I mentioned I love this game?)

    Alright, so we have Ina investigating rumors, Zane & Burr trekking through the alleyways of Curm, and Jason sneaking off to examine either the statues or the War Machines (they're two different creators, so it's an either/or situation, but you can get close enough to either one of them without any issue)

    I'll give you all the scoop either tomorrow or over the weekend.

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Let's do the statues; they seem weird.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Ina
    The crowd is abuzz in all the ways you expect a small-town flea market to be. People selling all kinds of produce, bits of machine scrap, and random arts and crafts projects. There are a few booths selling vials of inky blue-black vials; you can guess this is pulled from the chasms.

    You can feel free to roll a CHA roll (roll a flat 1d20, DC is equal to 21 minus your CHA score, so 3) to pick up a rumor. Every 5 you surpass 3 you can either take an extra rumor, or ask me a question and I'll answer completely honestly.

    Burr & Zane
    The alleyways are mostly clean, aside from a few trashcans. The buildings you pass by are nice, old-fashioned farmhouses with occasional metallic additions bolted onto the side. There are no shortage of alcoves, hidden caverns, and the like.

    Burr, roll me a WIS roll (roll a flat 1d20, DC is equal to 21 minus your WIS score, so also 3 lol) to find a space to safely sleep. Every 5 surpass 4 you can describe one additional advantage to the space where you're spending the night.

    Zane, as Burr wanders, you hear whispers from around the corner. A cough and a wheeze, followed by sharp whispers. You clearly pick up the words, "Should we bring him to... OOF" and the unmistakable thud of an elbow nudge to the side.

    Jason
    You weren't sure what to expect, but this wasn't it. A park (similarly fallowed and rotted as the fields to the north), just... filled with statues, seemingly turned from a community park into a magnificent statue garden.

    What does it look like when you activate your gift? Here is what you learn; the garden is the result of two people:
    • The statues themselves are the result of Harven Kolnechy, a young but incredibly gifted sculptor. A handsome boy, puffy cheeks, rosy red hair, a mechanical grip replacing one of his hands. You see a rapid slideshow of carving statues, making sketches, pulling supplies from a wagon cart, and work, work, WORK in assembling them. Months go by in your visions, seasons change. This is clearly Harven's lifelong masterpiece, this statue garden.
    • You also get your first look at Bastion, a wiry older man in what looks almost like comically oversized battle armor. Well past the point of functionality, and you're honestly pretty sure wearing that gear is limiting his mobility pretty severely, but damn does it send a message. You get glimpses of Bastion ordering around wagons of scrap, hosting a ceremony declaring this park to be the site of the Great Statue Garden Of Curm... and establishing guard patrols and strict curfews after dark.

    Everyone
    As you go about your business, the electric street lights that line the main road of Curm come on, and the atmosphere in the entire village changes. There is a split second of dead silence, and then a... tenseness, as people speak their business a little more urgently, and people walk with a little more hustle in their steps.

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20 for rumors

    rumors:
    1d20 13 [1d20=13]

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Rumor: "Did you hear? The chasms swallowed Corchran's Brewery whole, despite there being two fields of fresh veggies on either side. I mean, I know Corchran himself was obnoxious, but to offend a chasm, that's saying something."

    You beat the DC by 10; so you may ask two questions, get two additional rumors, or ask one question and get one rumor.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20 for bedtime

    bedtime:
    1d20 18 [1d20=18]

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    You find a spot where you can spend the night, safe from the elements; you can add three additional advantages, such as:
    • Enough space for the entire party
    • A space that's not only safe but comfortable
    • A space that's safe from less obvious hazards
    • A space that's hidden

    Or anything else you've got in mind. Basically, tell me what you've found.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 17
    (Not entirely sure how good the 3 Burr was looking for is; Burr is very 'sleeps where he lays' and so things such as shelter, which Zane might prefer, isn't something that Burr needs
    I assume a 3 is comfortable for Zane too, and the advantages are on top of that?

    -- missed the above)

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Let's go with:
    • Enough space for the party
    • A space that's safe from less obvious hazards/Defensible
    • Is populated with accommodating locals, or contains evidence from such if the first is not possible for lights on reasons

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zane’s ears pick up the sound of sickness immediately. The sounds, or lack of, after are more what he expected in this place. He crept forward slowly, peeking his head around the corner, eyes seeking the source of the cough.

    With the voices in his sight, Zane feels the power inside him build up for a moment and then release forward towards the group. He pauses briefly for a moment of recognition that it took hold, but remains as hidden as possible, attempting to not draw attention to himself in this moment.
    Using Ender of Plagues. Commuting effort for the scene and curing all diseases and poisons within my sight, which I’m assuming should be everything around the corner

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    You see three young people, dressed in farmer's clothes. One is laid out on the floor, covered in inky blue sores and deathly pale. In an instant, though, he's fine. His friends help him to his feet.

    "So... was that..."
    "No, that's not how she works."
    "Then who..."

    And by then you're around the corner again.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zane smiles to himself as he goes to find Burr when suddenly the world tenses around him.

    Burr” he says aloud, hopeful the other man is nearby, “Burr, do you feel that? We should find the others.

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Burr, you're strolling through the alley when your foot catches on a metal grate in the ground. You stumble for a moment, but as you regain your footing, you hear... voices from below the ground. They whisper amongst themselves, but go suddenly silent when the grate moves. You peer down, and your gaze is greeted by one of a small group of civilians. At first, they gear up to flee, but seeing that you are... well, not an armored guard, they raise a hand to some unseen figures before turning to you with a smile.

    It's when when several lights turn on around them, and you see it... you've stumbled on a hideaway den! Well-lit, spacious enough for your group, and with a small troupe of... well, you're not sure if they're bandits, scrappy townsfolk, or what, but they've welcomed you down below.

    Before you can get a moment to act though, the streetlights turn on and Zane calls out to you.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 18
    Burr smiles and waves in greeting to the people below as he turns to go back for Zane.

    "I guess I feel something,", Burr states. The increase in apprehension in the city is plain as Zane's face is to Burr, but it's not a feeling that he commonly shares or even registers, grounded as he is in his own permanence.
    "though, not sure if we need to find the others. They're capable enough, and I've found a place for us for the night, if you wish to spend it here."
    There's a flicker of recognition as Burr reconsiders what he's just said, and he motions to Zane to wait for a second.

    "Hail!", Burr announces to the grate, "I don't suppose there's room enough down there for a couple of weary travellers?
    It's getting dark out, and people seem to be ... jostling to get home, and we're not sure we feel safe out anymore.
    Would you know what's happening?
    "

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    The young person looks annoyed, and sort of shout-whispers at you.

    "There's plenty of room, but if you're going to talk, you have to get down here to do it! We don't want to... ahem, we don't want to shout."

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Rumor: "Did you hear? The chasms swallowed Corchran's Brewery whole, despite there being two fields of fresh veggies on either side. I mean, I know Corchran himself was obnoxious, but to offend a chasm, that's saying something."

    You beat the DC by 10; so you may ask two questions, get two additional rumors, or ask one question and get one rumor.

    I'll take one more rumor and then I think I'll have a question, but I want to see rumor #2 first. :)

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Lot of people talking about the "Twelfth Proposal." Mixed opinions.

    "Do we really need another?"
    "We could achieve a lot with twelve. That's almost a baker's dozen."
    "What exactly are they even DOING? The chasms are still out there."
    "Another big, empty gesture."
    "I don't believe he has another one in him."
    "Personally, the boy seems happier building statues. We should let him focus on that."
    "They're beautiful to look at though. Each one is so unique."
    "It's nice to have something Curm is known for."

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr turns smiling to Zane.
    "You heard the man; I have to get down this hole."

    "But yes, I'll stay here for now. You're free to find the others if you want, but I'd like to find out what's going on before leaving.

    I tell you what, if you go to find the others, I can send you a message.
    Just say "Burr, I've found the others", and I'll leave what I know on the ground for you.
    ... If you run into trouble, say the same.
    But remember to also shout out where you are, then, so I can find you to help, if necessary."

    Burr's committing effort to put a Hand on the Balance on Zane, for when Zane calls for Burr.


    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    (Man these are some good rumors. I think I actually just want a third rumor.)

Sign In or Register to comment.