[PbP] Godbound: There Came A Time When The Old Gods Died!

1235789

Posts

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr chuckles, "And I wrote you guys a nice offer of help rather than needing to abduct people and everything."

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    (On my turn, whenever it is...)

    Finishing the climb down, Jason turns to the real business. While moving cleanly but not quite hurriedly--slow is smooth, smooth is fast--he unlimbers his greatsword while moving toward the nearest bunch of Fishers. Jason adjusts his grip and divine power infuses into the sword that he himself had crafted, and he knows any blows that land will be devastating.
    I commit effort to Shattering Hand, which maximizes my damage rolls on both sword swings and Fray dice. I assume this Fisher mob is too strong for Fray dice, but it's there if I can use it. If this lands, it's d10+1 -> 11, which means 4 damage.

    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Sword meets beast

    Sword meets beast:
    1d20+2 8 [1d20=6]

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    A Fisher ducks down, and their shell effortlessly reflects your blade, Jason.

    (The number to beat is 14.)

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    (Ina and I are both at the same place, so guess it doesn’t matter who goes first.)

    Zane grabs his bow as the Fishers jump down from the threes. Burr is surrounded, and strikes out at one. Zane takes aim, knowing that his gifts don’t benefit him in situations like this, and so he leans on his previous life. He aims at one of the Fishers that finds itself behind Burr, and unleashes an arrow.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Hit
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for Dmg (if hit)

    Hit:
    1d20+3 17 [1d20=14]
    Dmg (if hit):
    1d8+2 3 [1d8=1]

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Your arrow finds its home, and the Fisher rears back its head to lock eyes on you.

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    With a blur of movement Ina removes the antique flintlock rifle from it's protective case, loads, primes, and cocks it with movements too fast for the human eye to follow. She takes aim and fires on the Fishers.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for hit.
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for damage.

    hit:
    1d20+3 5 [1d20=2]
    damage:
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    In a blur just as fast, the spot you took aim at is an empty patch of ground... because the Fisher you shot at, as well as the one Zane struck and several others, have lept from the trees at the aqueduct!

    The Fisher Mob has Committed Effort to activate Leap The Moon to have Fishers jump onto the aqueduct and get into melee range.

    "Alright, alright, alright, here we go!" Murker and Cawharper cackle and tear their dragonflies toward the Fishers. They bring forth their weapons, and lash them out in a vicious, battering ride-by strike.

    Meanwhile, Murker and Cawharper both commit their 1 point of Effort to activate Unerring Blade, and hit on any attack except a natural 1, and do maximum damage (2 each, to a total of 4).

    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Murker's attack.
    Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Cawharper's attack.

    Murker's attack:
    1d20+1 15 [1d20=14]
    Cawharper's attack:
    1d20+1 19 [1d20=18]

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    One of the Fishers is felled in an instant. "HAHA, that's why we're the Watchers!"

    Meanwhile, on the ground...

    The three Fishers descend on Burr, slashing hooks on all sides, hoping to ensnare him, as several more dive out of trees hoping to tear him down.

    Mobs in Godbound get a number of hits/actions equal to characters they can reach.

    EDIT: If the attack lands, that's 1 damage each, and roll an Evasion save to avoid being ensnared by a hook.

    Godbound, your turn.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Fisher attack (Burr)
    Geth, roll 1d6 for Fisher damage (Burr)
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Fisher attack (Jason)
    Geth, roll 1d6 for Fisher attack (Jason)

    Fisher attack (Burr):
    1d20+3 10 [1d20=7]
    Fisher damage (Burr):
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]
    Fisher attack (Jason):
    1d20+3 20 [1d20=17]
    Fisher attack (Jason):
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

    Dex Dynamo on
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    One hook scrapes along Jason's side, cutting through leather and into flesh. He slides to the side to try to avoid being caught...
    Geth, roll 1d20 for evasion save, versus a 13

    evasion save, versus a 13:
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    You can either take the damage and get ensnared, or swap out that 20 for a 2, and the attack misses entirely.

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    You can either take the damage and get ensnared, or swap out that 20 for a 2, and the attack misses entirely.

    Oh hey I do that. I totally forgot about my 2 after fixating on it in a much lower-stakes context.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    Burr rolls his shoulders while sizing up his competition.
    "One down and.. oh there are only two of you.
    Thought there were four."

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for punching a convenient leg
    Geth roll 1d10+3 for damage

    Another 2 damage.

    punching a convenient leg:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]
    damage:
    1d10+3 9 [1d10=6]

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    You can either take the damage and get ensnared, or swap out that 20 for a 2, and the attack misses entirely.

    Oh hey I do that. I totally forgot about my 2 after fixating on it in a much lower-stakes context.

    That's why I wanted to remind you; I figured "if there's a better time to use this than the enemy rolling a crit success, I'm not sure I could name it"

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    As quickly as the Fisher he struck moves, Zane has knocked another arrow. As it lands on the aqueduct, he releases it at the same Fisher he struck before.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Hit
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for Dmg (if hit)

    Hit:
    1d20+3 12 [1d20=9]
    Dmg (if hit):
    1d8+2 10 [1d8=8]

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Jason feels at the buckle that just happened to stop the arcing hook at the last moment. He smoothly recovers from his overhand stroke before and turns into a slash nearly parallel to the ground, aimed upward into the Fisher's torso.

    Geth, roll d20+2 for Sword attempts again to meet beast.

    Shattering hand is still active, so damage would be a max roll of 11, which converts to 4.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Sword attempts again to meet beast.

    Sword attempts again to meet beast:
    1d20+2 17 [1d20=15]

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Burr and Jason make quick work of the Fishers surrounding them, and the others in the trees feel immediately overwhelmed and start to scatter.

    The only ones left are the two or three remaining on the road facing Zane and Ina.

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I believe Ina (@admanb) is the last person to go this round before the Fishers go.

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    (Oh dang sorry)

    With another flicker of movement Ina loads, readies, and fires the flintlock at the incoming Fishers.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for hit
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for damage

    hit:
    1d20+3 6 [1d20=3]
    damage:
    1d8+2 6 [1d8=4]

  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    (On the other hand, maybe Ina will just run laps while the fighting is going on. XD)

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 8
    In one fell swoop, Cawharper and Murker dive off of their Dragonflies and tackle one of the Fishers, bashing and tearing at it with their weapons. However, the other come upon them and rears its giant bladed hand...

    Geth, roll 2#1d20+1 for Watcher Attacks
    Geth, roll 2#1d6 for Watcher Damage

    Watcher Attacks:
    2#1d20+1 2 # 13 [1d20=12] 15 [1d20=14]
    Watcher Damage:
    2#1d6 2 # 2 [1d6=2] 4 [1d6=4]

    Dex Dynamo on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 8
    And tears Cawharper in two in one fell swoop. It then grabs Murker, and throws them into the side of the aqueduct, looming tall over them as it approaches bit by bit...

    Godbound, your turn. Only one remains, and it is ominously approaching Murker...

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Fisher Attacks
    Geth, Roll 1d6 for Fisher Damage

    Fisher Attacks:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]
    Fisher Damage:
    1d6 4 [1d6=4]

    Dex Dynamo on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr dusts his hands as he looks around at the felled beasts, before hearing a 'Splorch' from overhead.

    It's not very clear how he's managing to climb the aqueduct so quickly.
    His.. many limbs find purchase in the slightest nooks and crannies in the rock, even making some where none were before.
    An onlooker might mistake him for a spider, aside he definitely has four limbs at any point you'd wish to count them.
    If you aren't quite as focused, there are definitely eight testing the stonework though.

    (Unsure if Burr can get up there, even with time-enhanced earth climbing)

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zane fires again, his previous shot missing it's target. The single Fisher remaining is approaching one of their guides, and at the least, needs to be distracted from it's target. "Hey, ugly. Over here!" he yells as he fires.

    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Hit
    Geth, roll 1d8+2 for Dmg (if hit)

    Hit:
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]
    Dmg (if hit):
    1d8+2 4 [1d8=2]

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    The Fisher turns to face your taunt at exactly the wrong moment, and, just as Burr makes it up the aqueduct, the final Split-Legged Fisher in this hunting party collapses.

    Burr, you feel the pressure ease in your shoulders. A quick glance, or a faint whisper of Gaile and his caravan graces your senses. You feel at peace, a relief, a comfort, as the caravan continues safely through the wood.

    Murker climbs to their feet. "Cowards. Cawharper'dve taken 'em all on herself if they fought face to face."

    They pick up her mace, tie it to the side of the Dragonfly, now idling in the air, and slap its mechanical saddle. "Well, what's done is done. Off ya go, there's a new recruit that's probably itching for a Dragonfly upgrade out there."

    They finally lead over the side to face Jason. "HEY THERE. Get back up here, job is done. We leave in five, and we WILL leave someone behind."

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Jason climbs his way back up the support that allowed for it, after cleaning and stowing his blade.

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ina kneels and fiddles with the sights on her flintlock. If there's any sign that Murker's callousness towards the death of a comrade bothers her, she doesn't show it, but she grumbles as she aims down the aging rifle, "Damn things are fast for their size," she says, to no one in particular.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited July 9
    ((How does "stabilize" work in regards to death? *Editing out rest of question, as I realized what I took from Health.*))

    Zane walks over to Cawharper and kneels down, examining the woman and noting the wounds. He makes a show of examining them, checking for a pulse, raising her eyelids to look at her eyes, then he places a hand over her heart, and another to the side of her face. He feels life force gather in his arms, and spread down to his fingertips, then finally into Cawharper herself.

    "Wait." he says without looking up. "She's not dead yet."
    Commit Effort for the day to use Lifegiver, which revies an ordinary mortal creature from death if they've been dead less than a day and some part of their corpse remains intact

    AustinP0027 on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Cough. Sputter. Cackling laughter.

    "Hoo dang, that is a trick you've got there! Got anything for bunions?"

    Murker rolls their eyes to mask their obvious mixture of unnerved and astounded. "Well, Cawharper, looks like you're walking the rest of the way, I guess."

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited July 9
    Zane stands and helps Cawharper to her feet. "Take a moment, deep breaths, catch your footing."

    He doesn't look at Murker to see if they were amazed by this application of power or if they might have been fooled into thinking they had just been hasty in checking on their own companion. Instead, Zane focuses on keep Cawharper steady while waiting for the others to be ready to continue their journey.

    ((Edit: fixing pronouns)

    AustinP0027 on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    (Murker's pronouns are they/their)

    Cawharper seems fine. Disarmingly so. A little slow to get to her feet, but laughing and chummy with you all the while.

    Murker is obviously pretty shook by this (there is... no way Cawharper survived), but they're keeping it together by trying to stay focused on the job at hand, and acting flippant about the whole thing.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Burr approaches Murker.
    "'s pretty rough, watching a friend almost die. Not anyone deserves to see that."

    Burr's words are oddly soothing, even if Murker would not usually be party to such platitudes.

    Burr smiles, "We're just lucky our friend here is so good at what he does. Would have been terrible to lose her for good.
    But we're safe now, so let's keep moving.
    I have some breathing exercises I can teach you if you want to clear your mind some more."


    To anyone watching, it's obvious that Burr all but stomps down hard to squash the terror lurking behind Murker's eyes.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    "Yeah. Yeah, that sounds great."

    (Is there anything anyone else wants to do on the road or are we cutscening to Curm?)

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    (nothing here)

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ina stands and joins Burr in trying to restore a feeling of normalcy to Murker, "Yer right that should keep movin'. We ain't gettin anything done sittin around here."

    (Happy to move on from this scene if no one else has reason to stick around.)

  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    (ready to move to Curm!)

    Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    (I mean, I suppose we could loot the corpses like good murderhobos)

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Some sorta sentient internet aggregator
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    (Fine with cut scene to Curm)

  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited July 11
    You know when you reach Curm.

    In fact, you know when you get near, because the aqueduct goes from straightforward and sturdy to partially-collapsed and difficult to walk across, seemingly sinking into unsteady ground. You see the forest fade into farmland, and then grow barren, and sickly, and muddy and full of deep, inky blue puddles that seep into the earth.

    And the sinkholes. Sinkholes that look massive to you, even 50 feet above the earth. You actually see one form in the distance, sudden and violent, a new chasm cave appearing out of the aether. You get the feeling this is a frequent occurrence.

    And then, you see dots on the horizon, that slowly (but too suddenly for your tastes) form shapes. There they are, standing amongst the fields, facing out into the fields in your direction. They're spread out a great distance from each other; from your heightened vantage point, you can make out four, with more dots on the horizon to the east and west.

    The War Machines of Curm. Massive metal behemoths, giant guns and blades and all manners of weaponry. All standing still, almost serene.
    s3jycld8ptd4.png

    Behind them, you see the faint echoes of a town forming.

    Welcome to Curm.

    Dex Dynamo on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Zane’s eyes scan the horizon as the landscape changes. The world wasn’t exactly in the most ideal state, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t surprised by the large chasms in the ground. Even as one opened up within their sight, it almost seem surreal.

    And then there were the war machines, poised silently around the town, facing outward. They had heard about them, but seeing them in person was almost awe inspiring. “What do you supposed they are guarding from? People coming in or...?

Sign In or Register to comment.