As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends]: Breakout is here! 5 years of ApeLegs!

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I was curious about what happens if Val gets hit by a jump pad while trying to ult and was able to come up with this answer.

https://youtu.be/F3R7-7dFBTk

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That's pretty awesome.

Also, she has a variation on the dialogue during her ultimate that's something to the effect of "if you brought children with you, this is a bloodsport, what's wrong with you?" that made me laugh pretty hard when I heard it in a reddit video.

I'm tempted to give her a whirl, but I'm not sure I'll ever top my experience with Horizon where I won the first game I played with her. Was deeply tempted to leave her at a perfect 1:1 win rate, but obviously nobody else would ever see that.

Plus, y'know... dailies/weeklies...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    the bow is really dumb-remember preseason wingman?

it's like that but even worse lmao, i guess they were like "we don't need to nerf the spitfire if everyone is using the bow instead!!"

also god i'm so glad there's not a Horizon on every team anymore

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

it's like that but even worse lmao, i guess they were like "we don't need to nerf the spitfire if everyone is using the bow instead!!"

https://youtu.be/IYKBXut7_cI

• Options
    edited May 2021

https://youtu.be/IYKBXut7_cI

2 headshots can down a person with purple, 70 bodyshots at full draw with fast draw speed that gets even faster if you have Tempo, with virtually 0 projectile drop plus insanely fast projectile speed, and you get the ammo back when you loot the body

48 ammo per stack and it's like "what was respawn thinking lmao"

unless you were talking about there not being a Horizon on every team in which case yeah it's wild - you can actually shoot her out of her fucking q now, and she can't just sit up there to pop a batt, watch an episode of their favorite show, reload, and come back down to fight some more

Orphane on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Arena seems cool, but 4 of the 6 matches I've played so far have had someone go AFK or leave entirely in a rage after losing round one, so it seems like the shitty TTV-Wraith problem is alive and well in this mode too.

Also, if you have any experience with the bows in Destiny, this bow is hilariously fucking busted.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    My first ever game of arenas had me on a team all on my own, haha. I tried to make friends with the enemy squad, but alas they weren't very receptive! It was super fun once I actually got a team though, hopefully the matchmaking is decent as I bet it's less fun if the two teams are at noticeably different skill levels.

The bow is kinda wild, it's, like, sentinel damage with none of the drawbacks? And additional perks besides. I thought the ammo might prove a limiting factor, but it doesn't seem all that rare really, and obviously you can pick it back up anyway.

• Options
    The ammo could be a limiting factor, as you chew through it pretty fast in a prolonged engagement, but not at 48/stack. It needs to be brought down to half that, or even possibly the 16-20 range. It’s 64 shotgun shells level of silly currently

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    My first round with a bow, I hit a 114 headshot a bit less than halfway across Rift
    it's fucking hilarious

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    i mean even if the ammo were a limiting factor it wouldn't change the fact that getting hit twice in a row by a bow means you've lost any trade unless you downed the person in that time

again people using the bow don't really have to do the thing where they land every shot, they just have to play the numbers by shooting enough arrows that they get lucky twice. Obviously skill helps you land more arrows and skew the encounter even more in your favor but the bocek's risk/dps trade economy is busted imo

like i said before, it's wingman preseason all over again but actually worse in that you don't even have to get a mag or anything and the hopups are like...not actually even necessary, that's how incredibly fucked up strong the bow is

Orphane on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    i mean even if the ammo were a limiting factor it wouldn't change the fact that getting hit twice in a row by a bow means you've lost any trade unless you downed the person in that time

again people using the bow don't really have to do the thing where they land every shot, they just have to play the numbers by shooting enough arrows that they get lucky twice. Obviously skill helps you land more arrows and skew the encounter even more in your favor but the bocek's risk/dps trade economy is busted imo

like i said before, it's wingman preseason all over again but actually worse in that you don't even have to get a mag or anything and the hopups are like...not actually even necessary, that's how incredibly fucked up strong the bow is

Also, given the high velocity it's waaaayyyyy easier to hit your first shot from mid distance compared to scout/3030/longbow etc

• Options
    edited May 2021
    The obvious answer with bow stuff is to make the draw time affect power. The current draw time should result in like 1/3 or 1/4 of a health bar. There's no downside to the arrow so the more lethal shots should take longer to knock. They can increase the TTK by making the draw time for a fully charge shot longer, but allow people to shoot lots of weaker arrows quickly (and shorter distance) if they wanna

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The obvious answer with bow stuff is to make the draw time affect power. The current draw time should result in like 1/3 or 1/4 of a health bar. There's no downside to the arrow so the more lethal shots should take longer to knock. They can increase the TTK but making the draw time for a fully charge shot longer, but allow people to shoot lots of weaker arrows quickly (and shorter distance) if they wanna

it does do this, the problem is a full nock is 70 body and a 2/3rds draw still gets you like 50 damage which is absolutely stupid given the draw time which is something like you can get 3 full draw shots in 2 seconds

with its current draw time dropping it to 60 damage would still put it at "good/very good" and dropping it to like 50 would probably put it around the level of all the other marksman weapons

Orphane on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Yea that's a lot, I was thinking maybe like 50 an arrow but shoot quicker, but maybe make it so you can only do that shooting from the hip or something

I think full power shots should take a Lil longer to knock

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    At minimum draw strength the bow does 25 damage.

The possible damage values (for a body shot) appear to be 25, 34, 41, 50 and 70.

Other fun details:
    A fully drawn shot has a higher headshot damage multiplier than a partially drawn shot.
    A fully drawn headshot does 123 damage to the practice dummy in the firing range, but 122 to the targets.

Peewi on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    For a "mid-range" weapon the Bocek sure hits people from across the goddamn map.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I've not had strong feelings about using the bow, or the bow being used against me as of yet. I'm not sure it has higher projectile speed than the other marksman/sniper rifles right?

The silent factor is pretty funny though. Had at least a few encounters where we've been shot at half a dozen times before we realise what's going on.

Campy on
  • Options
    The bow in this state should have probably been a care package weapon.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    The bow in this state should have probably been a care package weapon.

The care package version will hit so hard it will delete Apex from the recipient's hard drive.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I get what you guys are saying but it's hard for me to be mad about a new fun gun, even if it is a little strong. What happens to me in any given match is out of my control most of the time (in Battle Royale anyway) kinda regardless so I like having cool toys to play with when I find them. If it's a problem in the Arena then I'll probably complain about it but I haven't been able to play more than a match of that yet so I have no idea!

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    The only thing annoying me about Arena is that I don't want to play Arenas, but now half my Dailys are Arena related. Also as other people have said there do seem to be a lot of people who do just quit or AFK as soon as they lose a round. For me as a noob its kinda a coin flip. Either I end up on a team with the level 500 sweat lords and win or theyre on the other team and I get rolled. Either way it makes getting knocks/finishers a bit tricky.

edit: Yepppppp. Today I have *1* Battle Royale exclusive Daily. My Arena Dailys include getting 4 knocks as Lifeline and doing 3k damage.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The bocek is ridiculous right now.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Hmm yeah choosing the new character and buying the bow won me my first Arenas match

I had no idea how to use her but still m, she's essentially Dva without a shield so it was easy to pick up

Also lifeline slaps in arenas

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I’m not sure if it applies to BR but wingman is a solid bow counter in arena

Wingman can do it all in arena, poke long range, mid, cq

You have higher strafe speed and quicker rof than a bow so if they are poking you can prefire a bit. With no cover to poke you’ll land more shots. You’re more mobile.

Basically bow is ridiculous but I think 1v1 a wingman user will win. It’s just much harder to hit dudes running around and small clip is rough

Also Gibby rocks in arena because his arm shield eats a bow shot and his dome provides a ton of utility to cut off lanes and isolate fights

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    I think Arenas is gonna get me back into the game after a long hiatus, and the new character is fun although the Ult is just ok for arena. I really like the bow, it definitely needs tuning downward but feels like a skill weapon. It definitely doesn't have much aim assist, I was whiffing shots over shoulders but felt nice when you sink that headshot. I think maybe it should do a flat 50 headshot but then if you nail the "rhythm" shot mechanic it gives you bonus headshot damage compounding with each hit

• Options
    Some of the legends' abilities are useless I'm arena (looking at you Loba). I wonder if they will adjust them.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Loba's teleport still works (better now, even) and her ult is actually kinda useful as it costs 200 while the supply bin contains, what, 2 batteries, a medkit, and a phoenix? So, like, ~500 points worth of healing that you're basically guaranteed for your team. I will grant her passive is totally useless.

I actually managed to win on arenas with Loba yesterday despite it being 2 v 3 for every round after the first, ended up with 11 kills and 3k damage, felt pretty good.

• Options
    I feel like legnds with good passives make for the best arena chars

Gibby arm shield, lifeline res and extra supplies, bangy speed boost. I bet revenant crouch speed is nice too. Rampart going spitfire is nice too. I’m way too reliant on Gibby arm shield for range fights in this mode to the point I don’t think I can use other legends

Also I learned tonight that unlike anything else, if you purchase abilities and don’t use them you can keep them next round

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    couldn't loba snag care package items?

• Options
    couldn't loba snag care package items?

She sure can, that's also handy!

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    So after griping about the Arena earlier I decided to bite the bullet and do it anyway for my dailies and it turns out its actually super fun?

It's also made me much MUCH better at gunfighting very quickly.

I had one match that went a totally insane 9 rounds which is a lot for a game mode that is nominally first to 3 :P

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Asher wrote: »
    So after griping about the Arena earlier I decided to bite the bullet and do it anyway for my dailies and it turns out its actually super fun?

It's also made me much MUCH better at gunfighting very quickly.

I had one match that went a totally insane 9 rounds which is a lot for a game mode that is nominally first to 3 :P

Yeah, It'll definitely be great for practicing guns skills. We used to play "immediate vertical drops only" to do the same, but often you just end up with no gun which kind of defeats the purpose :p

Campy on
  • Options
    Arena can teach you bad habits for BR though. Lots of teams sit back and poke at you which will get you third partied hard in BR.

And splitting up works well in arena but again due to third parties is much riskier in BR.

I also am shocked at how bad a lot of arena players are in close quarters. Pro tip, you should almost never be ADS in tight. Hip fire in this game is insanely accurate

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Arena can teach you bad habits for BR though. Lots of teams sit back and poke at you which will get you third partied hard in BR.

And splitting up works well in arena but again due to third parties is much riskier in BR.

I also am shocked at how bad a lot of arena players are in close quarters. Pro tip, you should almost never be ADS in tight. Hip fire in this game is insanely accurate

So much this. You can hipfire out crazy far, even with with something like an R99.

I don't think I've even looked at the sniper rifles in Arena mode yet >_< Why would I when I know I can push the shit out of the other team without worrying about anywhere else! R99 EVA combo lets go!

• Options
    I have a challenge to hit 5k damage with snipers in arena mode, so I've been playing around with them some, I think it's valuable to have at least one person on a team with that sort of long range poking ability, because healing is so limited getting a few solid hits in whilst people are moving into position, even if you don't manage to sneak any knocks, can really put the pressure on. In the 2v3 match we managed to win a fair few rounds by keeping the enemy trio pinned down long enough for the ring to come in and force them to do something risky.

Unfortunately now that the triple take is both not a sniper and not purchasable the sniping options are a little limited, I like the longbow the best personally, but it doesn't have a long range scope at level 1, so I tend to go sentinel in early matches which comes with a 6x, and then swap to the upgraded longbow later on. I hadn't tried the charge rifle much yet cos it's quite expensive and I'm not that good with it. I suspect the G7 is probably the best choice for this sort of thing ultimately, but that doesn't count as a sniper for the challenge, so...

• Options
    I have a challenge to hit 5k damage with snipers in arena mode, so I've been playing around with them some, I think it's valuable to have at least one person on a team with that sort of long range poking ability, because healing is so limited getting a few solid hits in whilst people are moving into position, even if you don't manage to sneak any knocks, can really put the pressure on. In the 2v3 match we managed to win a fair few rounds by keeping the enemy trio pinned down long enough for the ring to come in and force them to do something risky.

Unfortunately now that the triple take is both not a sniper and not purchasable the sniping options are a little limited, I like the longbow the best personally, but it doesn't have a long range scope at level 1, so I tend to go sentinel in early matches which comes with a 6x, and then swap to the upgraded longbow later on. I hadn't tried the charge rifle much yet cos it's quite expensive and I'm not that good with it. I suspect the G7 is probably the best choice for this sort of thing ultimately, but that doesn't count as a sniper for the challenge, so...

Having to spend big just to get a half decent scope on an gun does feel a little bleugh. For example I'm happy to use a 301 without other hop-ups, but a 2/3x scope on there really makes it sing.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Was that changed from just yesterday? 1-star Longbow was coming with a 6x for me last night.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Was that changes from just yesterday? 1-star Longbow was coming with a 6x for me last night.

Oh really? I could have sworn it was only a 1x or 2x initially for me, I'll check again later, perhaps I'm misremembering.

• Options
    Just tried it, definitely comes with a 6x at 1-star.

• Options
    The 6x is awful though

I find it hard to push teams aggressively with how insanely accurate the bow is. A team of bow users can just melt you. So I’m forced to play a poke game against most teams to get them healing to push.

With teams being a lot more spread out it’s hard to make sure some bow user doesn’t have LOS on you when you push their teammates.

Because if they do it’s incredibly easy for them to land a few shots on you from like any range.

I’ve been having a good amount of success in arena (I think my win rate is like 68 so far) but I’m sucking at being aggressive the way I am in BR

616610-1.png