As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] thread: Don't get excited, Dibby; we're just talking.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Come out ahead in what way? You're blowing a 100 sec ult that keeps one of your teammates out of the fight for 6 seconds (1 for Auriel channel, 5 for target). 6 seconds of a 4v5 and the absence of another ult is a major deficit.

90% of Aegis casts I've seen haven't zoned anything. The enemy team just gets into better position to finish off the victim as soon as they come out. The conditions are very circumstantial for the target to not be just as, or even more fucked then they were before Aegis was cast.

Sure you can get some use out of her ults, but comparatively they seem to blow. Preventing deaths is vastly better than mitigating them after the fact, and other healers do that way better with zero of the huge drawbacks Auriel's ults have.

I dunno. I tried her in a whole string of games tonight. The phrase that seems to sum her up best is "mandatory over-commitment", with high risk/reward mechanics that only pay off when the enemy team is hopelessly negligent.

MrBody on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The vast majority of the time I'd rather have any other healer over auriel, her cc is not reliable and usually requires her to be slightly unsafe to use.

She requires teammates to group around someone low to maximize heals, and then stop grouping and avoid instantly losing all that health.

Aegis at a high level is very strong, because it saves someone from chain cc and everyone focusing on a single target, but that's not why people die in regular games, so it's not going to get any value.

No mana sustain healers don't get any benefit if everyone is just running it down, and only get value if a team can win a poke war without overextending

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Auriel is too dependent upon your team to ever be a consistent healer outside of high levels of play. She depends on teammates who can do a lot damage and who know how to trade damage efficiently (i.e., it's OK if I take damage here because my healer will get more back than their healer can keep up with), she depends on teammates who know how to bunch up (her healing output is balanced as an AOE), and her primary save ult is optimally used immediately before the target actually takes damage, rather than immediately after when they are low (which is the read/react difference between good players and bad players). Her CC is also a skill shot that also requires you to know how to read angles/walls to use optimally.

Her skill floor is incredibly high not just for the player using her but for her teammates. The only time she's really just a boring healbot that spams W is when she's paired with a Cho'gall who just runs around facetanking stuff, because he has enough damage/armor/sustain on his own to let him trade inefficiently and still win, particularly against comps that have no consistent percent damage to chunk him down.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Come out ahead in what way? You're blowing a 100 sec ult that keeps one of your teammates out of the fight for 6 seconds (1 for Auriel channel, 5 for target). 6 seconds of a 4v5 and the absence of another ult is a major deficit.

90% of Aegis casts I've seen haven't zoned anything. The enemy team just gets into better position to finish off the victim as soon as they come out. The conditions are very circumstantial for the target to not be just as, or even more fucked then they were before Aegis was cast.

Sure you can get some use out of her ults, but comparatively they seem to blow. Preventing deaths is vastly better than mitigating them after the fact, and other healers do that way better with zero of the huge drawbacks Auriel's ults have.

I dunno. I tried her in a whole string of games tonight. The phrase that seems to sum her up best is "mandatory over-commitment", with high risk/reward mechanics that only pay off when the enemy team is hopelessly negligent.

If it's 4v5, you haven't traded. You lost, and yeah, at best all it can do in the absolute best case is restore you to parity. Most fights last more than 5 seconds too especially when people know to delay, and a full HP tank with all their CDs up popping up in the middle is not to be underestimated. It also has pretty significant use as a winmore ult. You won the fight, but enemy has one person up to your two. Res somebody and now you can go grab extra camps, or soak more lanes, or push harder.

It's also weird that you say preventing death is good, but that aegis can't do that. It's a direct pretty goddamned hard counter to all those big telegraphed burst damage ults, and unlike Medivh's bubbles,protects from CC aswell. Yeah, it might not be able to save them from followup, but neither will anything else. You're seeming to claim that aegis is just being thrown out randomly and the enemy team will hold everything to punish it, which, yeah, if you use any ult stupidly like that, you're not going to get any value from it.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    You'll typically want to Aegis before the damage comes piling in. Like, if someone gets hit with a Jo Shield or ETC Most, you Aegis them to save them from the follow-up damage and hope that they can escape once the effect is over. It also completely negates Pyroblast, Triple Tap, etc. It's basically a sharable Ice Block, and everyone knows that Ice Block is really good. Just use it like that and you'll be golden.

I lost a ranked game a few months back because our Bruiser Sonya would go in, kill someone and then die herself. Then the enemy Auriel would revive her dead teammate and suddenly we're fighting 4v5. And of course being Silver, nobody would listen to my retreat pings and then they'd die, followed by this conversation:

"Auriel Rez is dumb."
    "Yeah, it's OP."
    "It needs a nerf."
    "Guys, why didn't you all just back up? It was 4v5."
    "If you stayed and fought we'd have lived."
    "Yeah, reported."

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Well, Ice Block is on a much shorter cooldown, can be canceled, and only requires you to give up the opportunity cost of another talent instead of an entire ul o_O

That's my whole thing with Auriel: what are you giving up compared to what you're gaining over all the other healer choices?

MrBody on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Well, Ice Block is on a much shorter cooldown, can be canceled, and only requires you to give up the opportunity cost of another talent instead of an entire ul o_O

That's my whole thing with Auriel: what are you giving up compared to what you're gaining over all the other healer choices?

Because every hero is the combination of their whole kit, not just their ult. A properly built and played Auriel can drop Rhegar's ancestral heal ult as AOE every few seconds as a regular ability, does that mean Rhegar's ult sucks?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I do get depressed by the number of Auriels that you need to remind to use their hat.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Petition to either give Tyrael more mana (either baseline or via talents) and/or reduce his mana costs. Because, I mean...why do I have to back so often?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Petition to either give Tyrael more mana (either baseline or via talents) and/or reduce his mana costs. Because, I mean...why do I have to back so often?
    And to think now is the easiest he's ever had it regarding mana tension.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

You're supposed to die. That's how you get mana.

You die.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Don't spam your buttons, tyrael is anti-wave clear, not wave clear

E- other tyrael tricks, you are usually better using your E on your ranged minions or a camp you are pushing with then using your E on enemies, and is incredibly counter intuitive to how every other non support plays

SeGaTai on
    PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Man Chen. I want to love you but I think you've actually gotten worse since the last time I played you.

Fun kit, so undertuned.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Man, I just had another Naz who ended the game with 67 stacks on Infernal Shrines. That map is fucking stack central. Naturally it turns into a flamefest before level 4 since nobody wanted to cover top lane. :(

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Top lane doesn't forward the most important goal of endlessly brawling in mid. L2P

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Top lane doesn't forward the most important goal of endlessly brawling in mid. L2P

Get a load of this noob who thinks people should be in "lanes" at all instead of brawling at watchtower!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Because every hero is the combination of their whole kit, not just their ult. A properly built and played Auriel can drop Rhegar's ancestral heal ult as AOE every few seconds as a regular ability, does that mean Rhegar's ult sucks?

She can, but how often is she actually doing that? If your team is good enough to maximize her, and the enemy team bad enough to not exploit her, it feels like you could win with even Probius at that point.

(if we're talking whole kits, I'd say the healers that feel closest to her are Anduin and Uther who are both more flexible in healing, more reliable CC, less risky, and MUCH better ults)

MrBody on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Smrtnik wrote: »

She can, but how often is she actually doing that? If your team is good enough to maximize her, and the enemy team bad enough to not exploit her, it feels like you could win with even Probius at that point.

(if we're talking whole kits, I'd say the healers that feel closest to her are Anduin and Uther who are both more flexible in healing, more reliable CC, less risky, and MUCH better ults)

The main points of Auriel:
    A 4-second cooldown on your main heal that doesn't have to worry about mana (nearly every other healer goes out of mana quite often and/or has to take talents to avoid it)
    Access to a displacement tool that can also do the longest stun duration of any basic ability (1.25s is tied with a number of other moves, like murrain's storm bolt or ETC's power slide)

Aegis is also on a 60 cd as opposed to divine shield's 90 seconds (and does damage).
    Anduin's is 80 seconds, has a wind-up, and can't target something at range.

Also, both of those ults cost mana, Auriel's doesn't.

She's more complicated to play than either Uther or Anduin, but that's the drawback to not having to worry about mana. The only other two heroes that are similar in that way are Brightwing (need to be extremely close to heal) and Morales (single target, basically no dps).

Edit:
    Also sometimes, you don't get Uther/Anduin because they were picked/banned, but you still need a way to protect stasis a target? Auriel. There's basically no realistic chance that all 3 of those heroes will be taken/locked out.

ronzo on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    @ronzo touched base on a lot of the points I would make: Auriel never has to worry about Mana; she can peel for herself and others with a basic ability (which doubles as an exceptional Stun); and she can counter big burst with a low-cooldown, instant-cast ultimate, which also zones. The versatility of the Divine Aegis is really exceptional, in my opinion.

Imagine trying to dive onto Auriel in the backline -- let's say she's just cast her flick, or she whiffed it when you engaged, and you think you're in the clear to blow her up, but she just hits Alt+R and takes herself out of the fight for a few seconds. You can stay on her, but she's bought time for her team to respond, and you're going to eat Aegis damage for committing to the attack, as well.

She's very difficult to pin down and actually burn, which is something you can't say of many Supports.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Another day of HotS, another day of being screamed at as an idiot for telling your team to give up objective when it's level 9-10...

(and it's your fault when they decide to make a 3v5 of it)

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Woooo boy

I'm Uther. Our team is getting wrecked in every fight because they do nothing but concentrate on the tank while Ana sits back getting mad snipe heals.

"OMG our healer sucks shit"
    "Okay, it's pretty hard for Uther to outheal Ana when she has a big stationary target and no one is putting pressure on her."

Immortals objective comes up. We're 2 levels down and our team insists on fighting. I take 5 seconds to smack a couple minions so that we're only 1 level down.

"OMG HEALER" *ping* *ping* *ping*

I ride up behind their Ana, who is alone. Start smacking and stunning her, she runs all the way back to their fort and is almost dead. Their Naz breaks off to come get me off of her. I'm keeping TWO of them busy. My team still loses the 4v3 because they all decided to spend the teamfight standing in the stun of the enemy immortal.

"HEALER!!! Fucking Uther chasing Ana" *ping* *ping* *ping*
    "I took their healer out of the fight."
    "Yeah, and OURS. Not healing US. dipshit"
    "You said she was a better healer than me. Doesn't that mean we came out ahead?"
    "fking idiot"
    "I also kept Naz distracted. How did you not win a 4v3?"
    "reported"

Reminds me of an Overwatch game. I was the healer, got stranded behind capture point after the rest of the team wiped. I managed to kill one of their dps coming back from spawn. He respawned, I killed him again. A 2nd dps joins him in trying to kill me. My team still loses the 5v4.

Tons of all-caps screaming that I wasn't there healing them. Like, I kept BOTH their dps out of the fight, preventing way more damage being dished out than I would have healed.

How are people so dumb that they can't realize 1 hero keeping 2 out of a fight is a winning trade?

Oh well, maybe next game will be better.

*Cho'Gall gets combined hero damage less than half of our Genji*

sigh

MrBody on
  • Options
    Uther is a tank.

Change my mind.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Uther is a tank.

Change my mind.

His little icon says Healer.

QED

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Can't complete this tank quest with Uther!

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Woooo boy

I'm Uther. Our team is getting wrecked in every fight because they do nothing but concentrate on the tank while Ana sits back getting mad snipe heals.

"Okay, it's pretty hard for Uther to outheal Ana when she has a big stationary target and no one is putting pressure on her."

Immortals objective comes up. We're 2 levels down and our team insists on fighting. I take 5 seconds to smack a couple minions so that we're only 1 level down.

I ride up behind their Ana, who is alone. Start smacking and stunning her, she runs all the way back to their fort and is almost dead. Their Naz breaks off to come get me off of her. I'm keeping TWO of them busy. My team still loses the 4v3 because they all decided to spend the teamfight standing in the stun of the enemy immortal.

"You said she was a better healer than me. Doesn't that mean we came out ahead?"
    "fking idiot"
    "reported"

Reminds me of an Overwatch game. I was the healer, got stranded behind capture point after the rest of the team wiped. I managed to kill one of their dps coming back from spawn. He respawned, I killed him again. A 2nd dps joins him in trying to kill me. My team still loses the 5v4.

Tons of all-caps screaming that I wasn't there healing them. Like, I kept BOTH their dps out of the fight, preventing way more damage being dished out than I would have healed.

How are people so dumb that they can't realize 1 hero keeping 2 out of a fight is a winning trade?

sigh

This kind of shit is the exact reason I transitioned over to only playing high waveclear heroes and soaking all match: the community for this game, and we can go round and round about why this is the case, is literally dumb as a box of hair. They have no idea what the fuck is going on, so it's easier and less of a ball ache overall, I find, to just soak to a fast 20 and win the game for them.

1ij6ix1fjum9.jpg

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    46-chrono.001.png
    Man, who renames Magus to Alex?

forty on
  • Options
    I don't do it anymore, but throughout a majority of my life, I always named Robo "G-Unit".

• Options
    Also, I know a lot of you guys don't know this, but Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time and I collect Chrono Trigger memorabilia. For example, there are three paintings on the wall behind me by an artist in France who recreates scenes from the game. They're just off camera whenever I'm streaming, but I've got Chrono's Trial, Frog cutting the mountain with Masamune, and the party's encounter with Magus at his castle. I've got ... a ton of rad CT shit, lol.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    46-chrono.001.png

The best character name is obv:
    70p11a32jmkf.jpg

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I don't do it anymore, but throughout a majority of my life, I always named Robo "G-Unit".

Once i found out their real names i always named them that, always made me laugh.

"Who knew Nadia was really Princess Nadia?"
    "Just call me ... Glen"
    "We're going to call you R66-Y"
    "But that means Janus is Janus!"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Woooo boy

"fking idiot"
    "reported"

sigh

This kind of shit is the exact reason I transitioned over to only playing high waveclear heroes and soaking all match: the community for this game, and we can go round and round about why this is the case, is literally dumb as a box of hair. They have no idea what the fuck is going on, so it's easier and less of a ball ache overall, I find, to just soak to a fast 20 and win the game for them.

1ij6ix1fjum9.jpg

I don't get it though. A lot of it is not grasping mechanics (simple as they may be), but a huge chunk of it is beyond basic shit like 4 < 5, trading 1 for 2 = good. Me taking out more than my one hero's worth from the enemy team is more valuable than being YOUR personal babysitter. I could pick Morales and not heal a single hitpoint all match while spinning around in circles in the jungle, but if TWO enemy heroes spend all game chasing me there, I have contributed winning value.

The first team game to figure out a way to offer microtransactions that allow you to smack people through your monitor is going to make billions.

MrBody on
  • Options
    See, this shit right here. There really needs to be a basic algorithm in place for these games that lessens your ranking loss when a defeat is so obviously not your fault.

x4sl6vb08g60.jpg

The best part? Genji is the only one on our team who won an award at the end.

The award? "Escape Artist: Escaped death 3 times"

(ಠ_ಠ)

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The real trick is to not play ranked and embrace the QM insanity. Then at least you can manage expectations going in.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    it's great to see that the genji energy remains through both games

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    46-chrono.001.png

The best character name is obv:
    70p11a32jmkf.jpg

DQ0NjmaVAAAZ8n9.jpg

• Options
    I was thinking the other day, Hogger almost never gets played/banned in Silver, so maybe I should give him a go. I know he's a high-skill character, but really dominates lanes and merc camps. Anyone get good with him? Is he worth trying out or is he too tough to reliably climb with?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I mean, I don't think Hogger is that hard to play. Getting the angles down and his combo of Hoard into stun is difficult, but you'll pick it up as you play him. The main thing to take away might be that a lot of characters fit that niche. You could do the same with Sonya or Greymane. Give the playstyle a whirl and see if it helps.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Hogger's entirely about that tornado usage

Almost like the melee version of Hanzo

And yeah, Sonya is probably in a better spot overall and is way less effort

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Hogger is really good at taking camps, but the positioning of his E and placement of his D are important in that respect. Otherwise you might as well just take Sonya or Malth, because the difference really is a matter of a few seconds, and if you don't do it properly you can actually take longer than other heroes.

In team fights he's very strong as an unkillable back line harasser, but similarly requires a relatively high level of skill to pull off without just inting uncontrollably. You also want to be able to land his D+Q(+W) combo reliably.

I think the first test of whether or not you want to play Hogger would be to try to take both camps in Try Mode using his E and D. If you can learn how to do that on each map for each camp and think that it is engaging to do, then that's half his play. The other thing to try is whether or not you can land his D+Q combo on AI Arthas. If you struggle with that then you will likely struggle even more against real opponents.