Options

I tried [chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Mind uploading kills you but so does falling asleep

it only kills you if the author decides it has to for some reason

regular uploading does not delete the original file

anyway speaking of copying, and because I'm re-reading Prophet now, the Horatio from Endless Space is one of the absolute best ideas for a race in a space game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjIeBTaykPE

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    How did [chat] taste?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think we're more likely to invent an ansible and use drones to explore space than we are to get very far with people in ships or manipulation of consciousness

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    I never seem to get used to these weird ads animals in the Avatar:TLAB

*insert scene where the main trio discusses the invitation the the birthday party of the Earth King's bear just being a bear*

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I think we're more likely to invent an ansible and use drones to explore space than we are to get very far with people in ships or manipulation of consciousness

Ursula Le Guin's ansible or Orson Scott Card's ansible?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ordered Thai food. Got two new things from stuff from my normal place. Both are amazing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm sure there's plenty of raw materials in the belt that we can utilize to make it like a generational process

the premise of the expanse is this, Mars is on a multi-century long quest to terraform mars by doing just this

the people in the belt are unhappy that resources enough to support all of their lives, for the rest of their lives, are taken by the inner planets daily and they have to deal with scraps

• Options

Why would it be more likely, when one goes against everything we know about physics and the other doesn't

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Why would it be more likely, when one goes against everything we know about physics and the other doesn't

I think a radical physics breakthrough is more likely than magic

• Options
    edited May 2020

it's the kind of "breakthrough" that would be magic.

the speed of light is incredibly fundamental to the universe and every imagined way to break it results in some very very odd paradoxes

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Having just entertained myself with a ten minute video of streamers raging about Sekiro, I'm wondering if performative rage and keyboard smashing is something streamers do to keep their audience entertained, or if they're a bunch of whiny babies.

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Bogart wrote: »
    Having just entertained myself with a ten minute video of streamers raging about Sekiro, I'm wondering if performative rage and keyboard smashing is something streamers do to keep their audience entertained, or if they're a bunch of whiny babies.

truly one of the great mysteries to ponder

I never really get anywhere pondering is this person really this much of a whiny shit, or is it performative, because I always end up thinking "why on earth am I watching this person rage anyway why am I this mean to myself" and do something else

EDIT: But i'm talking more ten minutes of the same person raging about something rather than the compilation I now realize you saw. I'm guessing a bit of both. I do find myself slapping something and shouting a swear word at entirely an inappropriate volume considering it's probably quite late for the neighbours when a frustrating death happens in a game that I'm into

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    as a whiny baby,

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Ordered Thai food. Got two new things from stuff from my normal place. Both are amazing.

don't say thiiiiiis

now I want meat crab fried rice T_T

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Wait @Casual Eddy are you sure you're thinking of me?

edit: either way I added you on FB and now will do so on IG.

Mim on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Today's protest sign at the corner:

"In this together my ass."

Yup. Can't say I disagree. I can help as much as I want, but... yeah. -.-

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

All of the above

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Fuck, I introduced dwarf npcs and now I have to practice a scottish accent even though it makes no sense whatsoever that Chicago biker dwarves would have a faux-scottish accent except that it is the most convenient way to indicate that I am playing a dwarf

• Options
    Mim wrote: »

don't say thiiiiiis

I got chicken Pad Prik Khing and lettuce wraps. And they were great. Though I put the lettuce wraps away.

This was my second meal today. I kind of skipped lunch.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    The Vast of the Night was pretty dang good.
    Especially for a low budget debut feature.

For anyone who likes old school Twilight Zone, it’s on Prime.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Yes mim I know it’s you. It’s probably b/c you deleted Facebook

• Options

the speed of light is incredibly fundamental to the universe and every imagined way to break it results in some very very odd paradoxes

Yes, and we can't even explain the basics of consciousness enough to manipulate it directly in any way

Manned space travel for long distance extrasolar travel seems less likely than a magical breakthrough because it's just so inefficient on its face. It's so slow and dangerous and for little gain.

To be more serious, increasingly sophisticated robotic space exploration sending us updates seems much more likely. A star trek-ish exploration vessel of any kind seems just totally pointless

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Honk wrote: »
    We tie a hose between earth and mars, the lower pressure on mars will suck over atmosphere we don't even have to pump.

It basically takes care of itself.

but what happens when the moon people get sweaty jealous of all that sweet atmo they're missing out on

We eat them.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Yes mim I know it’s you. It’s probably b/c you deleted Facebook

Well I have course corrected. I apologize Your Royal Sexiness.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    (I recognized ur pretty face :] )

• Options
    anyway speaking of FTL, and having replayed freelancer recently, what I want is a space game that uses wormholes as their magic FTL to use the capability of modern tech and actually show it, bending of space and all

it could be amazing

grah I really want to play a modern space game now but nothing will please me. I'm far too specific in my needs. Well that, and there just aren't any properly good space games out there, but, y'know.

Everspace 2 looks pretty good. Lacking a compelling setting like Freelancer, which is something I do really hanker for, but I'm looking forward to it immensely.

also the free week of star citizen is coming to a close today, I downloaded the sixty gigs, wandered around a quite nice looking spaceport being utterly perplexed by the controls or the lack of direction or a map, got lost and ran into the one non-horrifying NPC, which was voiced and real cool, actually

eventually found the spaceport - as an aside, they really went all in in making a spaceport like a proper airport, which on the one hand is actually pretty cool, on the other hand, they also simulated the experience of being lost and confused in a poorly laid out airport

got into my ship, got it started, smacked it into the hangar doors for a while, trying to figure out how on earth I get up from the pilot's chair and go to open the doors, gave up

time well spent

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

don't say thiiiiiis

I got chicken Pad Prik Khing and lettuce wraps. And they were great. Though I put the lettuce wraps away.

Never had Pad Prik Khing.

I'm a basic bitch and get chicken pad thai and the meat crab fried rice and ...something else.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    meat crabs

• Options
    I installed Surviving Mars again, it really is quite enjoyable. The domes get so cozy and wonderful, I don’t see a point in terraforming. I’m not sure what’s fully supporter but I’m gonna see if I can have a dome with just forest or similar.

• Options
    Little gain?

Sending generation ships would be worth the investment for the stories alone. Imagine the HBO series after 500 years of enclosed intrigue.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would really love to make friends with the local crows but I don't want to end up with a dozen crows making a mess outside my window and getting me kicked out of my apartment.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mmP5jOWemI

this is the best sekiro youtube content imo

i love this dude

• Options
    edited May 2020

don't say thiiiiiis

I'm a basic bitch and get chicken pad thai and the meat crab fried rice and ...something else.

Its good shit. Spicy sauce with green beans.

I usually get curry but been branching out again.

Edit:

You know you want it.

1200px-Mu_phat_phrik_khing.jpg

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Yes, and we can't even explain the basics of consciousness enough to manipulate it directly in any way

Manned space travel for long distance extrasolar travel seems less likely than a magical breakthrough because it's just so inefficient on its face. It's so slow and dangerous and for little gain.

To be more serious, increasingly sophisticated robotic space exploration sending us updates seems much more likely. A star trek-ish exploration vessel of any kind seems just totally pointless

I actually agree with you completely on all points

just except the part that it's more likely that everything is wrong and that faster than light anything could happen, because that wouldn't be a breakthrough, it would be discovering hogwarts.

and yeah, I feel like the only reason we'd have for sending people on interstellar travels would be some kind of "let's colonize beyond the solar system so we'll never go extinct" kind of pipe dream - not saying that it's likely to happen, but like, since that boils down to "go there just to go there", it seems the only reason that might make sense one day

as for more current dreams like, fuck yeah I want to know what alpha centauri is like, send a probe, obviously

like it doesn't even have to be all that sophisticated - just like with exploration of the solar system, for the effort sending humans would take we could send a shitton of probes

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

don't say thiiiiiis

Its good shit. Spicy sauce with green beans.

I usually get curry but been branching out again.

Edit:

You know you want it.

1200px-Mu_phat_phrik_khing.jpg

not enough noodles or rice

do not want

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

It's not, though
    https://youtu.be/-2c0P2CEU9A
    Now maybe we won't ever get to cheat the speed of light, but our understanding of the universe is not complete enough to say we can't

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »

It's not, though
    https://youtu.be/-2c0P2CEU9A
    Now maybe we won't ever get to cheat the speed of light, but our understanding of the universe is not complete enough to say we can't
    we can't even give people health care

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I went to Hot Pot with my co-workers. One Black, one Black and Puerto Rican (like me), one Burmese and one Chinese.

Me and the other Freakin' Rican ordered rice and the Chinese friend was like "DON'T DO IT, IT'LL FILL YOU UP" and me and my co-worker were like "No, no we need rice. How else do you successfully deliver the food to your mouth?"

then at the end everyone was stuffed and I read they charge you like $13 per pound of food left over. So I used an old Rican trick and poured ketchup on everything and ate it all. I was hailed a hero.

Mim on
  • Options
    (I recognized ur pretty face :] )

uguu

• Options
    you know what
    [6:11 PM]
    fuck this
    next time i go to iHop
    I WILL try all the syrups I've never tried before
    I WILL NO LONGER LIVE MY LIFE WONDERING WHAT THEY TASTE LIKE
    NO MORE OLD FASHIONED FOR ME
    BRING YOUR ASS ON OVER HERE, BOYSENBERRY

I have declared war on the other iHop syrups today.

This discussion has been closed.