As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - We Should Talk, Before I Forget & Beyond a Steel Sky out today!

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    “Would you like to see the menu?” he said. “Or would you like to meet the Dish of the Day?”

“Huh?” said Ford.

“Huh?” said Arthur.

“Huh?” said Trillian.

“That’s cool,” said Zaphod. “We’ll meet the meat.”

A large dairy animal approached Zaphod Beelebrox’s table, a large fat meaty quadraped of the bovine type with large watery eyes, small horns and what might have been an ingratiating smile on its lips.

“Good evening,” it lowed and sat back heavily on its haunches, “I am the main Dish of the Day. May I interest you in parts of my body?” It harrumphed and gurgled a bit, wriggled its hind quarters into a more comfortable position and gazed peacefully at them.

Its gaze was met by looks of startled bewilderment from Arthur and Trillian, a resigned shrug from Ford Prefect and naked hunger from Zaphod Beeblebrox.

“Something off the shoulder perhaps?” suggested the animal. “Braised in a white wine sauce?”

“Er, your shoulder?” said Arthur in a horrified whisper.

“But naturally my shoulder, sir,” mooed the animal contentedly, “nobody else’s is mine to offer.”

Zaphod leapt to his feet and started prodding and feeling the animal’s shoulder appreciatively.

“Or the rump is very good,” murmured the animal. “I’ve been exercising it and eating plenty of grain, so there’s a lot of good meat there.” It gave a mellow grunt, gurgled again and started to chew the cud. It swallowed the cud again.

“Or a casserole of me perhaps?” it added.

“You mean this animal actually wants us to eat it?” whispered Trillian to Ford.

“Me?” said Ford, with a glazed look in his eyes. “I don’t mean anything.”

“That’s absolutely horrible,” exclaimed Arthur, “the most revolting thing I’ve ever heard.”

“What’s the problem, Earthman?” said Zaphod, now transferring his attention to the animal’s enormous rump.

“I just don’t want to eat and animal that’s standing there inviting me to,” said Arthur “It’s heartless.”

“Better than eating an animal that doesn’t want to be eaten,” said Zaphod.

“That’s not the point,” Arthur protested. Then he thought about it for a moment. “All right,” he said, “maybe it is the point. I don’t care, I’m not going to think about it now. I’ll just … er …”

The Universe raged about him in its death throes.

“I think I’ll just have a green salad,” he muttered.

“May I urge you to consider my liver?” asked the animal, “it must be very rich and tender by now, I’ve been force feeding myself for months.”

“A green salad,” said Arthur emphatically.

“A green salad?” said the animal, rolling his eyes disapprovingly at Arthur.

“Are you going to tell me,” said Arthur, “that I shouldn’t have the green salad?”

“Well,” said the animal, “I know many vegetables that are clear on that point. Which is why it was eventually decided to cut through the whole tangled problem and breed an animal that actually wanted to be eaten and was capable of saying so clearly and distinctly. And here I am.”

It managed a very slight bow.

“Glass of water please,” said Arthur.

“Look,” said Zaphod, “we want to eat, we don’t want to make a meal of the issues. Four rare steaks please, and hurry. We haven’t eaten in five hundred and seventy-six thousand million years.”

The animal staggered to its feet. It gave a mellow gurgle.

“A very wise choice, sir, if I may say so. Very good,” it said. “I’ll just nip off and shoot myself.”

He turned and gave a friendly wink to Arthur.

“Don’t worry, sir,” he said, “I’ll be very humane.”

It waddled unhurriedly off to the kitchen.

ALL GAME THREADS HAVE BECOME THE BOOK THREAD NOW

This feels more like a MammalMeal post than a BugSnax post imo.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Celeste
    I really like how the Piece of You can break out of the portrait box. She's done it before and it was interesting.

can you win that feather sequence?

didn't find any strawberries, but I did pick up both the blue heart and the b-side

for the heart, it seems a bit weird that the color sequence was the same as chapter 1; I would have at least expected them to be rearranged. Took me a minute to understand what they were looking for, but once I did it wasn't hard. Helped a lot that I had a screenshot up from the chapter 1 birds and could just flip along the appropriate axis. Played around with rotation for a minute and then (for a lark) flipped it horizontally and vertically, which is of course what they want.

didn't try the elevator, just started chasing the Piece of You. Very strange to have a boss fight and it made me think I was doing something wrong . . . but Madeline reconciled with her issues, so I guess that was the correct action. Fairly surprised you get the double-dash. Technically this is foreshadowed in the Hotel level, if you find and beat the pico-8 version; even so, I wasn't really expecting it.

not sure I like Theo getting down the mountain so quickly (though upon reflection [hah] there's that elevator I just mentioned...), but his reaction to Piece of You was fun.

started the b-side and it's the first time I kinda wish it didn't exist. But I guess I need the heart from it, if nothing else.

I noticed the journal a bit ago and saw that I could re-arrange the hearts. Is there anything to do there?

Tamin on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    “Would you like to see the menu?” he said. “Or would you like to meet the Dish of the Day?”

“Huh?” said Ford.

“Huh?” said Arthur.

“Huh?” said Trillian.

“That’s cool,” said Zaphod. “We’ll meet the meat.”

[snip]

ALL GAME THREADS HAVE BECOME THE BOOK THREAD NOW

I still regularly drop "We'll meet the meat" as a statement to no one in particular when at a restaurant, usually either when receiving a menu or the food arrives.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Look at us

Talkin' 'bout Bugsnax

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Can't wait for the fanart that goes full Cronenberg

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Cronenbergsnax

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I picked up and started The Outer Wilds. It's a very appealing and clever game and has a cool structure and et cetera et cetera you've heard all this stuff before. But right now my main thoughts are

- It's very stressful. I thought the, uh - the thing that happens every 20 minutes would be swift. Instead you get to see it happening in very, very, very slow motion. I had to take a break when it happened.

- My anxiety is added to by my disability. This isn't the game's fault, of course, but with any game like this I wonder how much time I'm going to waste walking right past a critical clue over and over because the clue was colored 2 RGB points lighter than the surrounding terrain.

- I feel like I'm spending a lot of time fighting the controls and mechanics. To some degree I'm okay with this as it's sort of the toll you pay for realistic physics but things like the limited jump-jet distance and minuscule O2 supply just feel weirdly stingy.

- I feel like recent games I've played - this, Disco Elysium, Firewatch, Eastshade, Dear Esther, and a few others - have kind of (to varying degrees, of course) converged on this Approved Indie Game Aesthetic where it's all absolutely minimalist bare-bones UI where screen text is in tiny white sans-serif capitals, menu screens with bold graphic design featuring stark color contrasts and big letters, in-world graphics are super-saturated and bloom-y, there's a jangly acoustic-y soundtrack, and an overall look and feel that is very cartoony and non-threatening bordering on twee.

None of that is bad, all of it is valid, some of it is an understandable pragmatic choice (super-saturated, bloom-y graphics are a great way to do 3D without 4K textures) and a lot of it, like the emphasis on bold, high-contrast graphic design in the menu screens, is positively wonderful and should be the industry standard. But through no fault of any individual game, when all of it converges, it starts feeling like a weirdly calculated brand identity, and the identity is very like, GUY IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST WHO ROCK CLIMBS. It kind of feels like a can of lumberjack-scented beard balm has come to life and begun singing folk songs at me.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I recently finished Outer Wilds and it's truly an amazing thing which I love, except I think the getting to the final area of the game was some hokum. I tried all sorts of things, thinking it needed some lateral thinking that just wasn't understanding. Finally just went fuck it and looked it up thinking it was too smart and I was too dumb.
    Turns out, no, the solution was in fact really dumb. You just go on the pad in the right way, hoping you didn't fuck up and get sucked in to the sands. There is absolutely no trick to it.

Thought it was it was real basic and inelegant in an otherwise clever game, and probably would've saved me a couple of hours. But oh well, incredible experience that notwithstanding.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    - My anxiety is added to by my disability. This isn't the game's fault, of course, but with any game like this I wonder how much time I'm going to waste walking right past a critical clue over and over because the clue was colored 2 RGB points lighter than the surrounding terrain.
    When you miss stuff like that, usually the relevant card in rumor mode will have a "there's still things to find here" token added to it.
    I don't remember exactly what triggers that token being added. I think you need to have had a proper look around already? Like if there's a square with three buildings in it, and you've checked two of them and missed the scroll on the table in the second one, it won't add the token, because it'll be obvious that you're not done there yet because there's a whole other building. Or if there's an obvious dangling thread in the clues you've found indicating that there's something more to the area, it won't add the token. But If you've checked all three buildings and still missed the scroll, it'll add the token.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

Most of the information in Outer Wilds is in the glowing alien writing and none of it is particularly hidden.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I recently finished Outer Wilds and it's truly an amazing thing which I love, except I think the getting to the final area of the game was some hokum. I tried all sorts of things, thinking it needed some lateral thinking that just wasn't understanding. Finally just went fuck it and looked it up thinking it was too smart and I was too dumb.
    Turns out, no, the solution was in fact really dumb. You just go on the pad in the right way, hoping you didn't fuck up and get sucked in to the sands. There is absolutely no trick to it.

Thought it was it was real basic and inelegant in an otherwise clever game, and probably would've saved me a couple of hours. But oh well, incredible experience that notwithstanding.

I'm... confused about why this specifically was dumb, compared to the rest of the game?

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

You mean the warp pad to get into the Ash Twin project? What I did, sort of by accident the first time, was put the scout on the warp pad and run into it as soon as I see it get teleported. There's a little alcove you can stand in where the sand won't get you.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

I'm... confused about why this specifically was dumb, compared to the rest of the game?
    The warp pad kinda looks broken, it works differently than every other jump pad in the game, and if you tried doing what you need to do on a wild guess it'll seem like if didn't work. They did patch the game to add another clue to make it a bit more obvious, but at the time I played it I don't know how you were supposed to figure it out.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    cB557 wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

The warp pad kinda looks broken, it works differently than every other jump pad in the game, and if you tried doing what you need to do on a wild guess it'll seem like if didn't work. They did patch the game to add another clue to make it a bit more obvious, but at the time I played it I don't know how you were supposed to figure it out.

Yeah, and even knowing that this was exactly what the game wanted you to do, I was able to do it maybe like a third of time because it was real squiddly, which was one the reasons I thought I was doing everything wrong to begin with. I think it's a pretty bad design!

Zxerol on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I had to put Outer Wilds aside until I'm in a better mindframe for it. The oddly gamey mechanics of it (physics, oxygen management, limited jetpack, impact damage, your ship systems can break, etc) just did not gel at all with what you're actually doing for me.
    On the plus side, the game has helped me understand just why exactly I never got on with puzzle games with a timer (not that it's a 1:1 comparison here, but you know what I mean).

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    It took me three different tries, months apart, before Outer Wilds finally clicked for me

But when it finally did, it got its hooks in me DEEP

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Fortnite is officially out of Early Access: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/fortnite-save-the-world-update-state-of-development?sessionInvalidated=true

And what that means is, they took the label off it because the PvE mode, Save The World, is getting dumped into full release with very little actual new content or changes

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fortnite was in "Early Access" this entire time? What the shit.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    "Early Access" means whatever the hell developers want it to mean

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Early Access" means whatever the hell developers want it to mean
    In this case I'm guessing they were going for the "we're the underdog" look of it.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Fortnite is officially out of Early Access: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/fortnite-save-the-world-update-state-of-development?sessionInvalidated=true

And what that means is, they took the label off it because the PvE mode, Save The World, is getting dumped into full release with very little actual new content or changes
    Ooh, I've been waiting for Save The World to go F2P at release, it would be a fun way to...
    Today we’re bringing Save the World out of Early Access and have decided that it will remain a premium experience rather than going free-to-play.

Well fuck you too, Epic.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    that pretty much sounds like a pre-half life FPS yeah, they didn't really have coherent narratives or anything

Fucken what? Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM both had coherent narratives. Hell, depending on how strictly you define the word "coherent", Duke Nukem 3D had a coherent storyline.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    that pretty much sounds like a pre-half life FPS yeah, they didn't really have coherent narratives or anything

Fucken what? Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM both had coherent narratives. Hell, depending on how strictly you define the word "coherent", Duke Nukem 3D had a coherent storyline.

Also, I'm going to reiterate it even though it was mentioned up thread: Strife. An absolute banger of an FPS for its time, with a coherent plot and supporting narrative sequences. I greatly enjoyed playing it as A Youth, and I hope it's rediscovered by an enterprising publisher/developer looking to breathe new life into an old favorite of mine.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Half-Life gave us linear-focused environmental storytelling in believably environments, when many shooters before (often by technological constraint) had environments and level design that was more abstract and dreamlike, and HL's intense scripting was what put it on the map for most people. I don't really remember its story being praised nearly as much at the time.

Also, Unreal was a much better game, fight me.

Glal on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    re: Outer Wilds
    I also overlooked the Ash Twin tower at first, on the grounds that
    a) it looks broken; and
    b) how could it possibly work? You're on the Ash Twin planet.

but once I found the clue it wasn't that hard. A bit bummed to hear that was patched in, actually, especially given the tone of the clue.

my solution was just: hide in the alcove; wait for the column of sand to approach; count to three once it touches the pad; walk in.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The idea was that Fortnite would be a paid product for early access, this was before the Battle Royale component, and then it would become free to play once it was "released"

This is basically just them saying that the Save the World component is now in a state where they consider it ready for release.

Mind you, Save the World is fucking terrible and if Battle Royale hadn't set the world on fire the way it did, it probably already would have been scrapped for a lack of cohesive design direction. I suspect the only reason they have changed their mind and are going to keep it a paid product is that the economy around V bucks has changed massively, and Save the World is a way to slowly earn v bucks via (bad) gameplay.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I was way into the fiction of Half Life 1 and 2 like going through all the audio files for every drop of sweet sweet content, the Combine soldiers have quite a lot to say and I found their weird alieny military jargon rather fun

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I had really high hopes for (what is now called) Save the World because I have really fond memories of playing LAN Horde Mode Gears with friends, so I was hyped for a game that would blend that general feel with a cartoony style where stuff was easier to see, and movement/controls were better optimized for base construction

Unfortunately, I spent like $35 on a game that basically never materialized beyond an early Beta, because all Epic has put into that mode since like two years ago is basic bugfixes

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Half-Life was notable as one of the first FPS games with scripted scenes that were triggered by gameplay

Duke, Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, etc, had largely static environments, and enemies that largely stood still until you ran into their field of view, and then would simply start attacking you until they died.

HL1 had elaborately scripted interactions that happened as the player traversed the level, which greatly increased the feel that the environment wasn't just a static labyrinth with no other purpose than to act as a maze for the player. Pipes would burst open, helicopters would fly overhead and enemy soldiers would chat with each other as you approached.

It seems very basic now but it was revelatory at the time.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I do wonder how bugsnax is going to play

octodad was a game I appreciated a lot, but only from a distance

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »
    The idea was that Fortnite would be a paid product for early access, this was before the Battle Royale component, and then it would become free to play once it was "released"

This is basically just them saying that the Save the World component is now in a state where they consider it ready for release.

Mind you, Save the World is fucking terrible and if Battle Royale hadn't set the world on fire the way it did, it probably already would have been scrapped for a lack of cohesive design direction. I suspect the only reason they have changed their mind and are going to keep it a paid product is that the economy around V bucks has changed massively, and Save the World is a way to slowly earn v bucks via (bad) gameplay.

Save the world could’ve been pretty fun had they not tried to monetize the absolute fuck out of it with loot boxes containing random 5-tiered loot for parts, traps, weapons, and characters and then expected you to level every single thing up.

My friends and I got a few good sessions out of it before the crushing grind became apparent and I dropped it.

rhylith on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I had really high hopes for (what is now called) Save the World because I have really fond memories of playing LAN Horde Mode Gears with friends, so I was hyped for a game that would blend that general feel with a cartoony style where stuff was easier to see, and movement/controls were better optimized for base construction

Unfortunately, I spent like $35 on a game that basically never materialized beyond an early Beta, because all Epic has put into that mode since like two years ago is basic bugfixes

I'm still so surprised epic didn't try to push the PvE mode as a spinoff when the Battle Royale mode was at the height of its popularity

like if you're constantly overworking your people for content, why not have players try some semi-offline mode gameplay, particularly if you could have looped it back around to unlocking things for the PvP mode

• Options
    edited June 2020
    There is just so many things wrong with the basic game play loop of Save the World

All of the persistent gameplay elements felt kind of bad (Keep your weapons in between missions, but they have durability, and you need to farm materials during missions so that you can build weapons for other missions, etc)

If not for the fact that BR exploded and largely removed the need for Save the World, I figured they would have needed to largely revamp the gameplay loop entirely

To say nothing of loot boxes with a hundred different types of blueprints and characters of varying rarities that honestly makes the ME3 multiplayer boxes look restrained

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It still annoys me how they basically saw how PUBG was doing very well and then straight copied them and slapped it into the game they'd already made, that wasn't good, as a different mode.

• Options
    I also don't actually think the shooting feels good at all in Fortnite

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I also don't actually think the shooting feels good at all in Fortnite

Honestly, nothing in Fortnite feels good. The movement feels slow and clunky, the shooting is garbage, the building stuff instantly is dumb, it's all ass.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The MONEY feels good god damn holy fuck everything the money feels SO GOOD

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Wow, Steam's region restrictions really have been amped up huh. Couldn't gift two things because of that :S

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    That's stuupid

At least the unmodified versions of the Wolfenstein games are finally available in German-speaking countries

Platy on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    The MONEY feels good god damn holy fuck everything the money feels SO GOOD

Billions of dollars a year!

Cocaine and hookers for everyone!

This discussion has been closed.