As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

National Protests are Still a Thing Because of [Police Brutality]

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    This is why we can’t have nice things.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Honestly, it might make more sense for park rangers to carry if it's a park with large predators

Pretty sure a rifle or shotgun is the appropriate firearm in that case.

I defer to people who know more than me about guns - I was more thinking about loud sounds, so even blanks

For all I know, a large rattle would be more effective at scaring off a bear or cougar or whatever

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Honestly, it might make more sense for park rangers to carry if it's a park with large predators

I defer to people who know more than me about guns - I was more thinking about loud sounds, so even blanks

For all I know, a large rattle would be more effective at scaring off a bear or cougar or whatever

After Ranger Smith deals with Yogi, he'll need to defend the park from antifa/BLM/immigrant caravans.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    My city had 15 instances of police firing their weapons last year, all of which were putting down gravely injured animals (i.e. hit by cars).

Probably less of that in state/national parks just because of the reduced traffic / animals can avoid the access roads, but it's a concern. Could be more, some of them do get busy.

EU municipal police are disarmed and they still felt it appropriate to arm their park rangers, FWIW.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    My city had 15 instances of police firing their weapons last year, all of which were putting down gravely injured animals (i.e. hit by cars).

Probably less of that in state/national parks just because of the reduced traffic / animals can avoid the access roads, but it's a concern. Could be more, some of them do get busy.

EU municipal police are disarmed and they still felt it appropriate to arm their park rangers, FWIW.

Are they armed with pistols?

Like that's the part that's wild to me. I get that maybe at some point in the woods you need a rifle for, for example, injured animals. But what benefit does it serve to have a 9mm at your hip in the wild? Nothing big enough to hurt people really gives much of a shit if you hit it with that, right?

On this story in particular, the park ranger's version of events would be ridiculous if it wasn't infuriating:
    “that's when I shot him with a Taser. It did nothing. I went dry stun, he hit me somewhere right here on the side of my head. The fight was on, he grabbed me around the neck, he tried to push my head into the push bar and I came up and fired one round. I don't know if I got him or not, but I definitely got him on the second one and he crumbled.”

"The fight was on" christ, narrating your murder like it was an action movie.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Park ranger militarization was a thing for pretty much the same reason as other law enforcement groups.

http://www.conservationandsociety.org/article.asp
    The Yosemite Riots crystalised what had come to be increasingly polarised views of law enforcement and the figure of the ranger within the NPS. On one hand were those who thought that the NPS needed to professionalise their law enforcement programme, to enhance training, and to make the roles of Rangers as law enforcement officers clearer and more explicit. On the other hand were those who were anti-law enforcement or who wanted law enforcement to remain invisible in the parks. The struggles between these two camps became ever more apparent when Congress appropriated USD 550,000 for NPS law enforcement development in 1971 following the Yosemite Riots (Mackintosh 1989: 48).

Those who saw a growing need for professionalism and clarity in the ranger ranks were particularly concerned with large-scale protests, different user groups, as well as rising crime rates in the parks. Recorded crime, particularly “major crimes” like rape, homicide, assault, larceny and robbery had more than doubled in the parks from 1966 to 1970 (Sellars 2009: 208). New user groups in the parks also challenged Ranger capabilities. As one retired Ranger remembered, “The Park Service was unable to handle…the changing society in America at [that] time. They were prepared for the 'Leave it to Beaver' type of users who had come since WW-II, and then this whole new group of users were coming into the parks—back to nature people, civil rights people, anti-Vietnam people, people doing drugs, drop-outs, people trying to escape civilization” (Interview 2015).
    With these new mandates for a dedicated, professionalised law enforcement branch of Rangers, the administrators committed to the image of the unarmed, friendly ranger did not disappear. Instead, the tensions between this group and those in support of an armed, professionally trained police force only heightened. Push-back against the role of Rangers-as-Policemen could be found at the highest levels.7 For example, NPS Director Everhart commissioned a “Ranger image task force” in 1976 to ensure that Rangers' appearances were not too police-like, and to ensure that a “police sub-culture” did not arise within the park service (Morris 2009: 4). Everhardt (a naturalist and civil engineer by training) declared, “I firmly believe that in some parks the law enforcement specialty has gotten out of balance with other responsibilities of park Rangers” (Memorandum, “Law enforcement in the National Park Service,” August 13, 1976, USPP historical file).

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Rangers in parks with bears and coyotes (basically all of them) should be armed and a side arm makes practical sense because it isn't as cumbersome to carry at all times that a rifle or shotgun would be.

Like this guy's an asshole and they shouldn't think of themselves as cops (and I bet they've been increasingly militarized since at least 9/11 because collectively we lost our minds) but bears don't fuck around and we shouldn't be looking at park rangers in the same light as municipal police.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

After Ranger Smith deals with Yogi, he'll need to defend the park from antifa/BLM/immigrant caravans.

https://www.theonion.com/heavily-armed-fans-guard-statue-of-yogi-bear-in-case-it-1844070096

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

This arguement pretty much only holds water in Alaska, Canada and maybe some of the very northern areas of the continental USA.

Basically Polar Bears and Grizzley Bears are a legitimate reason to have a gun...or two on you. But everything else in the US knows to stay the fuck away from people.

No NPS members need a gun in New Mexico.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

This arguement pretty much only holds water in Alaska, Canada and maybe some of the very northern areas of the continental USA.

Basically Polar Bears and Grizzley Bears are a legitimate reason to have a gun...or two on you. But everything else in the US knows to stay the fuck away from people.

A normal animal knows to stay away from people. A rabid animal does not.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Not true, they handle disease vector animals and venomous reptiles. Although a .22 would make the most sense in this regard.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So we're back to shotguns then, or a pistol with blanks.

You're not going to hit a rabid raccoon with a pistol until it's much closer than you want it to be, people in general are not good marksmen.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Fun fact: not only have the protests not caused spikes in COVID-19 cases, but having protests increases social distancing in cities. People who aren't protesting stay the fuck home when there's a giant protest. Since I assume there's a strong overlap in anti-BLM types and "I'm not gonna wear a mask because MUH FREEDUMS" types, having protests keeps potential future disease vectors from getting their dumb asses infected.

These giant major protests aren't just trying to improve the health of society in the future but are actually leading to public health getting less bad now. Just remember to keep wearing your masks - it keeps everyone healthier while hiding your identity.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/LtWuMmAOk0g

The officer has been placed on leave and hopefully will soon be terminated and arrested for battery

https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-dade-officer-relieved-from-duty-after-apparently-striking-woman-at-mia/

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Notice how the other officers just stand there and let her get in his face. They knew what was coming.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2020
    "She head-butted me!"

Statements made in the moment are imprinted on witnesses.

My friend went through a green light on a motorcycle and got hit by someone running a red. They were broadly fine, but the other guy used the 2 minutes after the accident to keep saying "he ran the red light" to everyone who witnessed it. Sure enough, witness testimony almost entirely reflected that my friend ran a red light on his motorcycle. He had a helmet camera that straightened it all out pretty quickly.

This is a similar effect to police yelling "stop resisting" to suspects on the ground being beaten. It makes a witness have to think a lot harder about whether or not they were resisting than they would otherwise.

If it works that well on random bystanders, think about how well it works to make sure you and the cops around you have your stories straight.

Doc on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/florida-sheriff-deputize-gun-owners-trnd/index.html

Florida(of course) sheriff promising to deputize "lawful gun owners"(see: far-right) to... heavily implied to be murder anyone he deems is a violent protestor.
    A Florida sheriff issued a strongly worded warning to anyone who may be considering violently protesting in his county, saying he would "deputize" lawful gun owners for help.
    "If you threaten to come to Clay County and think for one second that we'll bend our backs for you, you're sadly mistaken," Clay County Sheriff Darryl Daniels said in a video message posted on Facebook.
    "Tearing up Clay County -- that's not going to be acceptable. And if we can't handle you -- you know what I'll do? I'm going to exercise the power and authority as the sheriff, and I'll make special deputies of every lawful gun owner in this county and I'll deputize them for this one purpose -- to stand in the gap between lawlessness and civility.
    "That's what we're sworn to do and that's what we're gonna do. You've been warned," he said.

In his Facebook video, the sheriff said that while he had seen images of protests across the country, the relationships between police and the community in Clay County "are great and not strained."
    "Look folks don't fall victim to subjecting yourself to this conversation that law enforcement is bad. That law enforcement is the enemy of the citizens that were sworn to protect and serve," Daniels said.
    The sheriff said officers take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution, adding "we end that (oath) with, 'so help me God.'"
    "But God is absent from the media's message or Black Lives Matter or any other group out there that's making themselves a spectacle."

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, I'm sure his department has a great relationship with the community.
    Especially thems what know to keep their mouths shut and not get uppity.

Keep to your place, and be properly fearful respectful of God and His chosen representatives on Earth.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Apparently the county he runs is very small. So super rural sheriff is a huge asshole, seems to be a regular headline.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/florida-sheriff-deputize-gun-owners-trnd/index.html

Florida(of course) sheriff promising to deputize "lawful gun owners"(see: far-right) to... heavily implied to be murder anyone he deems is a violent protestor.
    A Florida sheriff issued a strongly worded warning to anyone who may be considering violently protesting in his county, saying he would "deputize" lawful gun owners for help.
    "If you threaten to come to Clay County and think for one second that we'll bend our backs for you, you're sadly mistaken," Clay County Sheriff Darryl Daniels said in a video message posted on Facebook.
    "Tearing up Clay County -- that's not going to be acceptable. And if we can't handle you -- you know what I'll do? I'm going to exercise the power and authority as the sheriff, and I'll make special deputies of every lawful gun owner in this county and I'll deputize them for this one purpose -- to stand in the gap between lawlessness and civility.
    "That's what we're sworn to do and that's what we're gonna do. You've been warned," he said.

In his Facebook video, the sheriff said that while he had seen images of protests across the country, the relationships between police and the community in Clay County "are great and not strained."
    "Look folks don't fall victim to subjecting yourself to this conversation that law enforcement is bad. That law enforcement is the enemy of the citizens that were sworn to protect and serve," Daniels said.
    The sheriff said officers take an oath to protect and defend the Constitution, adding "we end that (oath) with, 'so help me God.'"
    "But God is absent from the media's message or Black Lives Matter or any other group out there that's making themselves a spectacle."

"Peace, quiet, and good order, will be maintained in our city to the best of our ability. Riots, melees and disturbances of the peace, are against the interest of all our people , and therefore cannot be permitted." - former 1961 Mayor Of Nashville, Tennessee, Benjamin West

Clay County, FL Sheriff's tone is not that far off that quote.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Rangers in parks with bears and coyotes (basically all of them) should be armed and a side arm makes practical sense because it isn't as cumbersome to carry at all times that a rifle or shotgun would be.

Like this guy's an asshole and they shouldn't think of themselves as cops (and I bet they've been increasingly militarized since at least 9/11 because collectively we lost our minds) but bears don't fuck around and we shouldn't be looking at park rangers in the same light as municipal police.

I'll note that just because someone needs to carry a gun to deal with animals doesn't create the right to kill people.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The ranger story and that incident above at Miami airport just seem to reinforce the trend that a lack of deference to their authority is what really sets cops off. Someone put it earlier correctly I think that the minute they engage with you, it doesn't matter what else was going on or for what reason this all began. Defiance is seen as a reason to use violence to reassert power.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    The ranger story and that incident above at Miami airport just seem to reinforce the trend that a lack of deference to their authority is what really sets cops off. Someone put it earlier correctly I think that the minute they engage with you, it doesn't matter what else was going on or for what reason this all began. Defiance is seen as a reason to use violence to reassert power.

https://youtu.be/XbebjUYItKw

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

I'll note that just because someone needs to carry a gun to deal with animals doesn't create the right to kill people.

Yeah, no shit.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

The officer has been placed on leave and hopefully will soon be terminated and arrested for battery

https://wsvn.com/news/local/miami-dade-officer-relieved-from-duty-after-apparently-striking-woman-at-mia/

Is that cop wearing an N95 mask?

• Options

From the looks of it, yes

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

From the looks of it, yes

I know I would feel much less of an urge to slap maskless assholes that crowd me if I had an N95 on.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Apparently the county he runs is very small. So super rural sheriff is a huge asshole, seems to be a regular headline.

Reminds me of Alex Karras in Porky's.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

https://youtu.be/XbebjUYItKw

Literally the exact thing going through my head with every one of these incidents.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

It's not even just violence, they require full deference in all respects. I dealt with this...in much less extreme fashion...today. Fuckin' cop informs me as I'm entering a base that the base commander issued an order that, as of yesterday, they're back to not allowing expired registrations. Keep in mind that yesterday was the first day that this state has been willing to register an out-of-state vehicle, and they're still turning pretty much everybody away at the DMV unless they deem it "essential business," at office-to-office discretion, which is why every civilian law enforcement agency is still not ticketing for expired tags. Because it's a shitshow, because COVID.

So my response was basically "that shit's stupid, guess I'll have to take that up the chain." Which I think he initially took as, like, me saying I was gonna run the gate and come on base anyway? Because he's stupid? So he starts telling me all the things he can do, ticket, tow, impound blah blah blah blah and I'm like "I'm not arguing with you man, I literally just said that I'll address that policy through chain of command. That shit's not between you and me. Why is this a thing?" And he starts going on about "you're going to take state law up with chain of command" (note, above, that no agency outside this installation is enforcing this) and etc. etc.

Anyway, me being me at no point am I willing to just say "yeah, you're right, I was wrong" because he's being fucking stupid. And he just will...not...let...it...go. Like the mere idea of me taking this policy...which he is merely enforcing...up with the person who set it (through a chain of other individuals) just set him off. He somehow took it as an affront to his authority. Then his supervisor comes over and gives a "if it were me I'd cite you for how you talked to him" spiel, like thanks bud for clearly stating that your citation decisions are based on somebody's attitude and not on any objective criteria of the offense involved. I knew you duders were petty dictators with guns and badges, but sometimes it's good to hear it right from the source, right?

But yeah, even when shit is just verbal the moment you flip the "argue" switch on one of these petty fucks they just lose all sense of reason. It's kind of adorable, except the part where they have guns and kill people for no reason.

EDIT: I do have to admit there is a certain level of privilege that comes from not giving a shit if they write you a citation or not. Like, I got a couple bucks, if it warms your cockles go ahead and break out the ticket book, I give a fuck less. I can even afford the tow and impound, though I'd be marginally upset by it. You do you bro. Your threats of "you know I could write you a ticket" mean fuck-all, I make more than you do. Younger, poorer me may be the type to shut up in the hopes it gets me out of it, older me almost thinks it's worth a couple hundred bucks just to tell them to piss off.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

That was Florida, too.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

That was Florida, too.

Indeed, supposedly Angel Beach, though the real Miami suburb doesn't have an eponymous high school with Pee-wee and Meat as alumni.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    It turns out that all judges are bastards as well:
    Judges have made racist statements, lied to state officials and forced defendants to languish in jail without a lawyer – and then returned to the bench, sometimes with little more than a rebuke from the state agencies overseeing their conduct.

Recent media reports have documented failures in judicial oversight in South Carolina, Louisiana and Illinois. Reuters went further.

In the first comprehensive accounting of judicial misconduct nationally, Reuters reviewed 1,509 cases from the last dozen years – 2008 through 2019 – in which judges resigned, retired or were publicly disciplined following accusations of misconduct. In addition, reporters identified another 3,613 cases from 2008 through 2018 in which states disciplined wayward judges but kept hidden from the public key details of their offenses – including the identities of the judges themselves.

All told, 9 of every 10 judges were allowed to return to the bench after they were sanctioned for misconduct, Reuters determined. They included a California judge who had sex in his courthouse chambers, once with his former law intern and separately with an attorney; a New York judge who berated domestic violence victims; and a Maryland judge who, after his arrest for driving drunk, was allowed to return to the bench provided he took a Breathalyzer test before each appearance.

The news agency’s findings reveal an “excessively” forgiving judicial disciplinary system, said Stephen Gillers, a law professor at New York University who writes about judicial ethics. Although punishment short of removal from the bench is appropriate for most misconduct cases, Gillers said, the public “would be appalled at some of the lenient treatment judges get” for substantial transgressions.

I disagree with one thing though - removal from the bench should be the punishment for misconduct.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    There is a wonderful, wonderful season of the Serial podcast where they delve into the whole "judges being bastards who get away with all kinds of horrible shit" thing, and how it's not so much "cops suck" as "our entire criminal justice system sucks".

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

That could be the next season of Brooklyn 99 right there.

"Wait, we were fired for THAT?"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Via local Seattle news, in the wake of the CHOP assault the police have kept parts of the area closed, which is hurting local business. Again, not exactly a great look for the narrative they'd been trying to push.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

What happened to "paid administrative leave and long investigation"?

I guess the union is too busy defending all the police shooting protesters

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Via local Seattle news, in the wake of the CHOP assault the police have kept parts of the area closed, which is hurting local business. Again, not exactly a great look for the narrative they'd been trying to push.

Copitol Hill is bigger and scarier than CHOP ever was.

This discussion has been closed.