As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Know Ellie, We Really Are [The Last of Us Part I + II]

• Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Chance wrote: »
    I think the main thing keeping me from picking this up is the PlayStation 5.

I might have missed this in the news cycle. Cyberpunk has said they will have a free upgrade, has Naughty Dog announced anything similar?

Didn't Sony say any PS4 game from July 2020 on had to run on the ps5? So Ghost of Tsushina Definitely Yes - I think TloU2 is merely a very safe bet.

The gist I got from the Cerny GDC talk was that all PS4 games are theoretically compatible with PS5, but they have a list of games that they've prioritized to make sure they're 100% compatible and have extra features that take advantage of the new gen system. Yeah, I imagine TLOU2 is probably very high on that list.

Edit: Although I wouldn't put past Sony to release some "PS5 Enhanced Edition". The game is already skirting on the edge of what's possible on current gen.

Hakunin on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    For those of us that aren’t American, remember that the US uses the date format MM/DD/YY.

I hope this saves someone else several minutes of confusion.

This honestly pisses me off. Record keeping is a big part of my job and international date standard is YYYY-MM-DD.

This allows any system of documents to automatically organize files chronologically. It's handy! It's consistent! Use it!
    Year - Month - Day is the one true light.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    never die wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    Big spoilers for the second one, do not open unless you have seen the first major event in the game. With the club
    Seeing Joel die and Ellie's reaction was rough. But damn walking around his house and seeing her react to stuff got me. Made me pretty teary eyed. Maybe thinking about how much it would hurt my son to lose me, although he is much younger then Ellie. Was really really hoping to get to see Abby die right there. Despite what he did to Firefly, Joel was still the man, so it hurt to see him die.
    I uh, teared up pretty hard at Ellie hugging Joel’s jacket, if you check out his closet. It was by far the most powerfully resonant part of that whole scene for me.
    There's a similar scene in the movie "American Beauty". And as someone who has experienced profound loss, this was so very real for me, and I had to put down my controller for a bit.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    The thing that really got me about the third person murder-spree that shakes me out of "this isn't just a shooter game" is:
    The WLF guys and girls? They all have names. Every single one. "Emma! Shit, they got Emma!" "Fuck, Carl, where are you?"

That detail really gets me.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I saw this game's ending.
    Lol, nope.
    First game is still real good though, even if the story sucks this time.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I don’t know why anyone would just watch the ending of a 25 hour game and come to an absolute conclusion on the entire game itself. I’m about six hours in and even if the ending sucks, I feel I’ve already gotten my money’s worth

Zavian on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I mean,

I enjoyed all of Mass Effect 3 right up until the ending and that ruined the game for me. If it didn't have baller multiplayer that I played for a few hundred hours I would have been irate.

Then there's also Game of Thrones Season 8 ...

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    I don’t know why anyone would just watch the ending of a 25 hour game and come to an absolute conclusion on the entire game itself. I’m about six hours in and even if the ending sucks, I feel I’ve already gotten my money’s worth

Totally. I've been saying for a while now to friends that I don't trust Druckmann alone to do a story for Ellie properly, and so far while some stuff has been super-effective, other stuff feels really un-earned, convenient and a bit exploitive. I feel like Ellie is doomed, and I'm not happy about it. But also that - while TloU1's story was literally the best the medium had ever seen - what was most-valuable about TloU1, for me, was this incredible hybrid combat/stealth gameplay with its insane production values, and man oh man it's good, here.

I go to open a door but oh fuck a guy busts through and he's like 7 feet tall and he's got this huge like awl thing - a sledgehammer on one side of the business end, and a pick on the other - with two goons behind him. I bull rushed into the room, whipping a glass bottle at the first dude, grabbing him up and emptying a few rounds into his friend before putting a third into my hostage. The boss comes in and I book it out, out of the store we're in, across the overgrown street and through the window of a - I dunno, donut shop? Doesn't matter. I lost my melee weapon in a previous battle, but there's a pipe, here. and an exasperated roar tells me I should dodge riight about... now.

I dodge, dodge again and slam the pipe into the dude's head. He comes back with another huge swing of that ten-pound spike and I dodge, dodge again and beat him to his knees. He drops the awl-hammer, and I pick it up, and he says something like "please...", and Ellie takes a deep breath before she swings.

This game is fucking awesome. I'm already sorry for what Ellie's become and what Druckmann's gonna' do to her, even as some of his narrative beats hit really well.

Has anyone gotten to the culmination of that gameplay we saw pre-release, where she goes "yeah, you remember me"? The bit after that,
    when she goes back to the theater, takes off her shirt and Dina begins tending her wounds.

TloU2 in a lotta ways seems to be an example of a Standard Dude's Story, just told with a woman in the hero role. It specifically brings to mind the original Alien and Salt. I loved both of those, but the hero-strips-down, beautiful-woman-tends-to-their-wounds scene struck me here as an example of Ellie going through a kind of trope-y story.

What salvaged it, for me, is how Ellie communicates to Dina that all her talk about "five minutes with a knife" was bluster, and she has devastated herself with what she's done.

That felt really earned and powerful.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Druckmann said the other writer they brought in was among other things to help them with the Ellie and Dina scenes because he couldn’t have done them without her.

And I believe him.

Viskod on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Which is fine, gameplay is probably great. But I have plenty of games to play and I support games that I don't feel are wasting my time with their writing.

• Options
    Which is fine, gameplay is probably great. But I have plenty of games to play and I support games that I don't feel are wasting my time with their writing.

Oh no I’m totally with you there. The game has some excellent independent character moments but the story has some serious problems that just don’t need to be there and could have easily been fixed without losing the central theme they are trying to go for.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular

i don't understand this perspective

at the very least you could do essays on how tlou2 is an evolution for thematic development in games. i could already do that and i'm probably not even halfway yet

if you reckon the game is wasting your time with its writing you're not looking hard enough. i also have suspension-of-disbelief concerns with the plot, but plot ain't everything in storytelling. don't throw the baby out with the bath water

p.s. you're a coward if
    you heard the hotline miami song and didn't immediately equip your shotgun

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Either I'm reading too much into this collectible or someone definitely threw some shade at Druckman for the crunch.
    Dr. Uckman card, "Once a well respected researcher, Doctor Uckman's questionable experiments in the realm of pushing human limits saw him ostracized from the scientific community."

It goes on a little past that, but that seems very pointed.

• Options
    Kanden wrote: »
    Either I'm reading too much into this collectible or someone definitely threw some shade at Druckman for the crunch.
    Dr. Uckman card, "Once a well respected researcher, Doctor Uckman's questionable experiments in the realm of pushing human limits saw him ostracized from the scientific community."

It goes on a little past that, but that seems very pointed.
    It’s definitely about ND crunching. Druckmann is using the image from the card as his new twitter icon

• Options
    he probably wrote it himself.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Abby prologue scene in mansion spoilers
    See, Joel is a monster of a human being. In the first game, during the intro, he abandons people. Later on he's a smuggler, he admitted to being a 'hunter', was quick to dump Ellie on Tommy. Tommy admitted that surviving wasn't worth what he and Joel did. He went to the fireflies only to kill both soldiers and civilians. Basically Joel spent 21 years murder hoboing, and only spent the last 4 being a decent person.

Joel is a monster.

And it makes me wonder how different the world of TLOU would be if people spent more time talking, instead of shooting everyone in sight. If people cooperated to develop food sources and the infected people aren't really a threat considering society is pulling itself back together, and frankly, the infected can be easily corralled and disposed of.

Instead we're presented a world where Joel is free to murder whomever and whatever because everyone else is that much worse, as if the game have to make excuses for Joel existence. Because, if you think about it, Joel is no better then all the hundreds of NPC you, the player, murdered.

So Joel got what he deserved. Period.

• Options
    Hey.

That's my dad you're talkin' about.

Just started the second half, I think. Eeee!

• Options
    See, Joel is a monster of a human being. In the first game, during the intro, he abandons people. Later on he's a smuggler, he admitted to being a 'hunter', was quick to dump Ellie on Tommy. Tommy admitted that surviving wasn't worth what he and Joel did. He went to the fireflies only to kill both soldiers and civilians. Basically Joel spent 21 years murder hoboing, and only spent the last 4 being a decent person.

Joel is a monster.

And it makes me wonder how different the world of TLOU would be if people spent more time talking, instead of shooting everyone in sight. If people cooperated to develop food sources and the infected people aren't really a threat considering society is pulling itself back together, and frankly, the infected can be easily corralled and disposed of.

Instead we're presented a world where Joel is free to murder whomever and whatever because everyone else is that much worse, as if the game have to make excuses for Joel existence. Because, if you think about it, Joel is no better then all the hundreds of NPC you, the player, murdered.

Eeeehhhhhh
    I’m fine with Abby killing him but I dunno if he deserved that.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Prologue spoils
    I haven't learned why Abby did that yet, but there's a long list of shit that Joel did on screen in the first game that would justify it, and a whole long list of implied off screen stuff too.

IIRC he was a Hunter for a long while, to keep Tommy alive. The only difference between him and those Pittsburgh fuckos is that Joel got to survive long enough to find himself in a nice cushy position where he gets to put his monstrous persona into the closet and play nice again.

I was sad on Ellie's behalf, and I get her need for revenge, but I feel, pretty objectively speaking, Joel had that coming.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I'm ten hours in on Survival and haven't even finished Day 1. I definitely have gotten my moneys worth. The exploration in the beginning that funnels into the Murder Game proper has been a wild (and rage filled) ride.

. . .and then there's hell. . .I mean GROUNDED. . .to look forward to.

Also (spoiler if you haven't been passed The Event):
    "Dee you gangly unco-ordinated bitch!"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMYhS2o18Ss

And boy oh boy do I need to learn about this countries history: "Dude don't you know what happens to Tom Hanks character!"

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am rarely triggered or affected by violence in games. But this one managed to get to me.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ZephonateZephonate Registered User regular

Joel is a monster.

While you might technically be right on paper (like, in a pure math sense), that doesn't make the way it was handled in any way thematically or narratively satisfying. It feels cheap, done for shock value, and disingenuous to push a rote narrative that doesn't jive with the previous game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
    --John Ajvide Lindqvist, Let the Right One In (Page 446).
  • Options
    "Ms. Bailey, they got back to me about the part, and-"

"And?"

"And yes, her arms are 'cut as fuck'."

(Laura Bailey downs the rest of the whiskey she'd been nursing. A glass shatters against a wall.)

"Then tell 'em I'll do it."

• Options
    Zephonate wrote: »

Joel is a monster.

While you might technically be right on paper (like, in a pure math sense), that doesn't make the way it was handled in any way thematically or narratively satisfying. It feels cheap, done for shock value, and disingenuous to push a rote narrative that doesn't jive with the previous game.

Having played a lot more of the game that is 100% not correct. It might feel like it now - but keep playing.

• Options

Joel is a monster.

Having played a lot more of the game that is 100% not correct. It might feel like it now - but keep playing.

I'd say it doesn't jive with the previous game, but it 100% jives with this game.

• Options
    For people who have beaten the game: The Bow and Arrow (location question)
    Is it NOT near the room with the Archery trophy at the start of Day 2. Feels like that is where they meant for it to be especially with a worktable there.

• Options

Joel is a monster.

Don't have to, already beat it. The first game is one of the best I've ever played, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around how disappointed I am with this one.
    Boy, did they do Ellie dirty. Like, we're talking licking the seat of a toilet in the bathroom of a public park kind of dirty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "For a few seconds Oskar saw through Eli's eyes. And what he saw was...himself. Only much better, more handsome, stronger than what he thought of himself. Seen with love."
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I’m some 18 hours in to the game. I heard that the game was all gloom, extreme violence and bad writing.

Granted in this survival adventure it’s dark and violent but there is some really heartfelt touching moments in it that hit the mark.

The gameplay has made for some truly reactive gameplay shenanigans on the fly that all comes together and normally with a bloody result.

I’ve still got more game to get through but I am enjoying the highs and lows of the story so far.

• Options
    My expectations from reviews and what is actually happening have been polar opposites so far.

• Options
    tbh the closer discussions of this game get to "the ludonarrative dissonance ruins the plot!" the more i tune out. yeah it's a problem. it's a problem naughty dog have acknowledged since uncharted 2, and have never successfully resolved. if you want to buy in you just need to get past it. take the gamey violence as metaphor for the more isolated, impactful moments of cinematic violence, that's what i do.

i'm not saying there isn't room to critique this game's premise and execution. just be wary of treading down a well-trod path that leads to nowhere

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    I do like how the made a little nod to the crazy violence in the recap. Like I thought they might just be like "Yeah had to kill a couple of guys or two. . ." Nope. The "final level" is a god damn bloodbath.

• Options
    The game seems to be a direct response to their games being criticised for violence. They way they try to humanise enemies - as opposed to the waves of faceless idiots you gun down in Uncharted is an interesting response.

I don’t feel it works at all that well, considering half of Seattle is named Josh, Cathy or Derek apparently.

• Options
    I don't understand how, but I'm starting to feel that no one at Naughty Dog has ever been on a date that didn't involve a visit to an ancient commercial attraction with breathtaking vistas, and probably an animal encounter.

I'm counting 3 so far, between the first game's DLC and this game.

• Options
    I haven't heard a name repeated in the game honestly. I will agree that the most exotic one was Skyler. And I am glad they made the human enemies actually have more than one sex represented.

. . .the human models on the other hand. Lotta copy-pasting going on there. I haven't read any reviews but I can't imagine that went unmissed.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Today, I have shot Nathan five times.

Poor bastard.

Edit: I also blew him up once.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I’m some 18 hours in to the game. I heard that the game was all gloom, extreme violence and bad writing.

Granted in this survival adventure it’s dark and violent but there is some really heartfelt touching moments in it that hit the mark.

The gameplay has made for some truly reactive gameplay shenanigans on the fly that all comes together and normally with a bloody result.

I’ve still got more game to get through but I am enjoying the highs and lows of the story so far.

I think the gamergate boys got a hold of the review narrative thanks to the leak and youtuber personalities took it for a ride because controversy is good for them.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

I think the gamergate boys got a hold of the review narrative thanks to the leak and youtuber personalities took it for a ride because controversy is good for them.

The biggest complaint I keep hearing is 'Abby is too musclar'.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Impossible.

Impossible, goddammit.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Call me a dinosaur, but I came from an age where games released as complete experiences, no DLC necessary. I've hated the trend of having to pay for additional tacked-on content ever since its inception. To this day, I'm a tremendous fan of studios who will release a game and not make any DLC for it that isn't cosmetic or trivial.

However...
    ...this game makes the single greatest argument for the existence of DLC I've ever seen. Every single moment you play as Abby felt like (and should've been) a supplementary DLC campaign added three months from now. Not only does it feel tonally (and at some points visually) disconnected from the rest of the game, but having some separation from Ellie's P.O.V. I think would've greatly benefited it. Definitely would not have fixed the biggest problems this game has, but it would've gone a long way towards helping.

Zephonate on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Impossible.

Impossible, goddammit.

I'm past the shocking midpoint thingie, but haven't beat it yet.

Abby is awesome. I will not be taking further questions.
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

The biggest complaint I keep hearing is 'Abby is too musclar'.

She's awesome.

Chance on