As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D-5E] Eberron: Shadows of the Last War

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Pierce cups her chin in her hand for a moment, gears grinding in her head as she thinks, and then suddenly!

"Gator, pass me the notebook! I have a plan!"

OOC: Pierce's plan is to mash the front cover of the book against the sigil of the door.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Zed picks up his lost weapon on his way back retrieving the torch he'd dropped earlier. He sheathes his axe and leans against the corner of the sewer turn, noticing what the others are staring at.

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Intelligence

Intelligence:
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    (OOC) I am a freakin psychic (/OOC)

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Pierce cups her chin in her hand for a moment, gears grinding in her head as she thinks, and then suddenly!

"Gator, pass me the notebook! I have a plan!"

OOC: Pierce's plan is to mash the front cover of the book against the sigil of the door.

Touching the icon on the front of the journal to the matching icon in the center of the circular door, the arcane runes radiate with mystic fire and the hatch slides open. The pathway to the lower levels of Dorasharn Tower can now be accessed.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Tox, what exactly are you rolling that Intelligence check for?

• Options
    The circular hatch opens onto a vertical shaft 5 feet wide and cloaked in pitch blackness. Wind rushes from the depths to find release somewhere higher in the tower, demonstrating that fresh air continues to circulate even in the forgotten sections of the tower. The vertical shaft is a mix of crumbling earth and ancient stone, and centipedes and other insects cover the walls like living decorations.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    tox, what exactly are you rolling that Intelligence check for?

To try to puzzle out the door. That was just solved.
    So nothing.

• Options
    I'm going to give you guys a peak beyond the DM's screen and just let you know, I'm happy to continue to give you hints and more information when rolling Intelligence checks but I'm never going to just give you the answer to a puzzle/riddle/challenge within the game.

These are things I want you to talk through and play around with.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Faber looks into the darkness.
    "Oh joy. Another dark, narrow tunnel that doesn't seem at all likely to lead to an ambush." With a look to the team: "Same marching order? Or should one of the warforged take up a spot at the back of the ranks?"

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    "It's, uh." Gator looked over the ledge. "...a long, long drop Faber. Hopefully we have enough rope." The shifter backed up and started going through their pack. "What was the plan we decided on? Strongest climber goes first, hammers in anchors for the others?"

• Options
    Faber: You make a good point. I can cast light on a small object and drop it in, if we're curious as to how far down it goes. It would give us enough light to get a good look at the tunnel as it falls past.
    Probably tip off anything that's waiting for us down there though..."
    Faber leans forward and peers into the darkness.
    "Assuming it still has eyes."

OoC:Oops, completely skipped over the word "Vertical" there. Think I may need to relearn this whole "basic reading" thing.

• Options
    "Plan was Faber said we only need one climbing kit," Zed growled low

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    "Plan was Faber said we only need one climbing kit," Zed growled low

"Plan was not to spend every last copper on climbing kits if thought we could get by with fewer..."
    Faber thinks back to the map, trying to remember if it mentioned how deep the drop was. If he can't remember, he'll cast light on any nearby loose piece of rock or rubble and drop it down the shaft to get an estimate.

Geth roll 1d20+1 to remember details of the map

to remember details of the map:
    1d20+1 21 [1d20=20]

• Options
    Faber's memory recalls that the tunnel should be about sixty feet down till it levels out horizontally.

• Options
    "The map said it's about 60 feet down before it goes horizontal again, we have plenty of rope. Long enough to be pretty nasty if you fell, so I'd advise against falling as much as possible."
    Faber looks around the environs searching for a sturdy looking point to affix a climbing rope to, and then testing any likely looking outcroppings or fixtures to verify that they're stable enough to provide a good anchor point.

• Options
    "And, uh." Gator secured two lengths of rope together with a double fisherman's knot and tucked a few pitons into their belt. "You said same marching order, right?" With a grin, Gator repelled off into the darkness.

OOC: Athletics check to climb down? Advantage for the rope / pitons?

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Athletics check to climb down? Advantage for the rope / pitons?

Correct.

Strength (Athletics) check with advantage if you are utilizing a climbing kit.

• Options
  • Options
    I was going to suggest that Faber use Guidance to give you all a slight boost to your climbing.

But it would appear that Faber doesn't have Guidance.

Ho ho ho...

• Options
    (OOC) Any special benefit if we already just have a climb speed? (/OOC)

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    (OOC) Any special benefit if we already just have a climb speed? (/OOC)

Yeah, I'll say if you have a climb speed you have advantage as well (in addition to moving at your standard walking speed, as opposed to half of that).

• Options
    Before Gator launches himself into darkness, Faber approaches and checks the pitons, insuring they're firmly set in the stone floor. Remembering Tooth's parting comment, Faber also double checks the knotwork.
    And then triple checks the knots.

OoC: Sorry, I've only got three cantrips, and I figured light would be more valuable in the dark sewers than an extra 1d4 on one person at a time.

• Options
    Pierce barely glances into the dark before saying "Onwards, dear friends! See you on the other side!"

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]

Steam
  • Options
  • Options
    (OOC) The corridor is only 5ft across. Why aren't we all just using the climbing kit, just one at a time? (/OOC)

• Options
    OOC: I guess Gator and I are already down there, but if the rest of you want to trade off the kit then go for it

Steam
  • Options
    Pushing past Gator, Pierce grabs the established rope and with both feet positioned safely against the rope, she slides all the way down to the bottom of the tunnel. It is obscene how fluid & easy the entire sequence is for her.

Gator follows up with a standard, quick decent downward. He is currently fifteen feet from the "floor" of the tunnel.

• Options
    Faber will maintain his vigil at the top of the passage until the rest of the party has descended. Not hesitating because of fear of heights, or of darkness, but just to make sure there's no further unpleasant ambushes from behind.
    Yes, that sounds believable. It's a rear guard action. Just in case.

But, just to get it done with:
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for climbing down
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for using the climbing kit to go down

climbing:
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]
    using the climbing kit to go:
    1d20+2 21 [1d20=19]

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    “Never was a second-story man,” Owenn looked over the pitons in his own gear, which had very clearly never been used. “Let alone a four-story one.” He waited for the rope to go slack, he and Faber dutifully avoiding each other’s gazes. When it finally did, the halfling was out of excuses.

OOC:
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for four-story work
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for four-story work with the right equipment

…Great, thanks Geth.

A light “ping” echoed up and down the shaft as a piton (or two) failed to remain in place. What followed next was inevitable. “Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii—*”

four-story work:
    1d20-1 8 [1d20=9]
    four-story work with the right equipment:
    1d20-1 9 [1d20=10]

Sneaks on
  • Options
    @Sneaks, make a Dexterity saving throw.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    OOC:
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for reflexes save me

Deaths from massive damage are a rarity. It’s only happened to me once before, rolling a level 3 fireball centered upon myself—level 1—on the wild magic table. For those of you keeping score at home, there’s a 1-in-1000 chance of that happening when a wild magic sorcerer casts a leveled spell. It also killed the rest of the party, an Adventurer’s League table full of strangers who weren’t as amused at beating the odds as I was.

What I’m saying is it’s nice that it’s just me, this time.

reflexes save me[/color]:
    1d20+5 14 [1d20=9]

Sneaks on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    "Well, here we go"

OoC: Geth roll 1d20+3 for Athletics

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    While climbing down a piton comes loose and Owenn is suddenly dropped. Taken by surprise, the Halfling Rogue let's his hand off the rope and falls.

Scrambling to stop his sudden descent he reaches out against the tunnel wall for anything.

Scratching and clawing his small hands, Owenn's bloody mits finally snag a small pipe.

Owenn takes 4 points of damage, as his hands are seriously torn up, and is currently 30 feet from the floor of the tunnel, without rope or a climbing kit.

• Options
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Athletics

Athletics:
    1d20+3 21 [1d20=18]

• Options
    OoC: Can John attempt to grab Owenn on the way down and carry him?

• Options
    edited July 2020
    —iiiiiiit!” The end of the scream was punctuated by a loud ‘CLANG’ as he struck the pipe he’d managed to find purchase on. Then Owenn groaned, and, given the cavernous acoustics, this was enough to let the rest of the Mason’s Tower Detective Agency know he was still alive. In the moment, Owenn questioned to himself whether this was fortunate.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    To recover Owenn, a character will need to:
    One round
    -- Declare that they are stopping at the 30 foot point.
    -- Make a Strength (Athletics) check to climb over to him.
    Second round
    -- Assist Owenn
    ---- If your character decided to grab Owenn (or let him ride upon your back), you'll get disadvantage on your following Strength (Athletics) check or, if you are using a climbing kit, you'll lose the advantage it provides.
    ---- Figure out another way to assist Owenn that forces him to make his own Strength (Athletics) check
    Third round
    -- Descend the additional 30 feet to the "floor" of the tunnel, necessitating a new Strength (Athletics) check.

• Options
    OOC: Can we try to catch him somehow? Or would we need to climb up to help him down?

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    OOC: Can we try to catch him somehow? Or would we need to climb up to help him down?

Owenn can choose to drop and you can try to catch him.

It'd be another Strength (Athletics) check, and should you fail, Owenn will take 3d6 damage from the fall.

• Options
    OOC: Can Pierce prepare (valiantly) to catch anyone about to fall?

Steam