Options

PC Games - Street Power Football and No Straight Roads out today!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Still waiting for Shovel Knight

EDIT: Not huge towering Shovel Knight in Blade Strangers, though, I want him a full head shorter than everyone else

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Played a little grounded.

Boy this sure is a survival game. If you like them, good news, it’s an interesting fun setting.

If you don’t well, you already know to avoid it.

There’s an option to turn down the spiders, a slider that makes them progressively less spider like, which is a nice touch.

Because even with 0 arachnophobia, oh boy did I jump a mile when I first encountered some spiders.

Satisfactory has the best arachnophobia mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcAbYczBgsU

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    sacrifice and brutal legend both tried to show you the ground-level perspective but since you're still playing as a general it winds up not mattering that much
    The BattleZone games (mind, not the super old original, nor the recent VR game) were also like that, your commander could exit and enter vehicles, issue orders, built up the base, etc. Really good games, my favourite part was that outside a vehicle you had this piddly pistol that did barely any damage, however you did get this red dot on enemy vehicles, and shooting it basically killed the pilot and left their vehicle open for hijacking.

Best moments are when you're in a losing fight and eject, then land a snipe shot on an enemy pilot and land right into their vehicle to continue the fight.

The second game got a remaster a few years ago that was pretty good.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    There’s an option to turn down the spiders, a slider that makes them progressively less spider like, which is a nice touch.
    I'm trying to imagine what this looks like, without looking it up.

Step 0: It's just a spider.
    Step 1: It's a spider, but with an apple pie texture applied to it.
    Step 2: It's a spider but with six legs. And an apple pie texture applied to it.
    Step 3: It's a spider, four legs, apple pie texture, nice glass of cool milk hovers a few inches away at all times.
    Step 4: It's an apple pie, but with spider legs. Glass of milk is present.
    Step 5: It's an apple pie, glass of milk, there's a cozy fire crackling in the fireplace and you're sitting on the couch - feet pulled up - with a blanket tucked up just under your arms. The wind is howling outside, carelessly tossing snow past the window. The room is just the right amount of chilly, the blanket and the fire keeping you perfectly balanced on the edge between too-warm and I-ain't-ever-getting-up-warm. A little bit of steam is still lifting off that apple pie; you should probably eat it soon.

More games should go the Satisfactory route and have an option to replace the spiders with pictures of cats

They're still terrifying, but it becomes more of an "oh, you" moment

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »

it's always really weird and frankly a little embarrassing when they present RTS games from a human perspective

you're gonna spend the whole game zoomed a half mile out sending nameless schmucks to their death so here's a little movie you get to watch in the barest nod to acknowledging what's actually happening

Something I’ve always wanted in an RTS is the addition of a decent real-time first-person perspective camera from the units on the ground. So you can be commanding the map and have a little window in the corner seeing what’s actually going on down there during skirmishes from the various units’ point of view.

I think I remember some game doing this a while back, but I don’t recall it being very good.

Part of the reason I thought Company of Heroes was the bees knees back in the day was because its graphics were so impressive it looked like a WW2 FPS when you zoomed in. It was strategy game with a human perspective! Wild!

Part of the appeal of Total War games, too, especially since they have recorded replays built into them and have pretty much since the beginning

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I was surprisingly saddened when I found out they removed the 'If they came to hear me beg' achievement from the MCC version of Halo Reach.

That was, for me, an iconic achievement, both in difficulty and in signalling options for play.

I think that Achievements are a gameplay tool that, like any other, when used well can act as enhancers or breadcrumbs, allow for exploration or innovation or just basic milestone feedback to players that allows for broadening of the gamescape. Sometimes even just a hint or a 'have you tried this?" is enough for me to find different ways to play that allows me to try and have fun with something I wouldn't have found left to my own devices. I think that's pretty cool when it happens.

And, at times, they can also feel like something some C-suite producer shoved into a checklist of features so they can add a bulletpoint to marketing copy before whatever the next milestone deadline is.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    My proudest achievement achievement is getting Flight Slingulator in Civ VI, which requires you to airlift a level 3 slinger from one of your cities to another.

Mine might be The Masochist King from La-Mulana. Beat everything on Hard.

a game in which enabling hard mode is technically a secret action

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    I was surprisingly saddened when I found out they removed the 'If they came to hear me beg' achievement from the MCC version of Halo Reach.

That was, for me, an iconic achievement, both in difficulty and in signalling options for play.

I think that Achievements are a gameplay tool that, like any other, when used well can act as enhancers or breadcrumbs, allow for exploration or innovation or just basic milestone feedback to players that allows for broadening of the gamescape. Sometimes even just a hint or a 'have you tried this?" is enough for me to find different ways to play that allows me to try and have fun with something I wouldn't have found left to my own devices. I think that's pretty cool when it happens.

And, at times, they can also feel like something some C-suite producer shoved into a checklist of features so they can add a bulletpoint to marketing copy before whatever the next milestone deadline is.

What's that achievement for?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

What's that achievement for?

Surviving a lethal fall by using an assassination to prevent fall damage. Kind of typical for open-world action games now, but really strange for Halo and not nearly as easy and obvious as, like, becoming a homing man-missile in Ghost of Tsushima.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Hellpoint is an intense action RPG taking place on Irid Novo, a derelict space station soaked in an intoxicating dark sci fi atmosphere. Fight dreadful creatures, face the Cosmic Gods and unravel their twisted story. Should the challenge be too great, play with a friend in local or online coop
    20200730 Hellpoint (sci-fi, ARPG, occult, dark, souls-like)

A classic real-time strategy game with an epic single player campaign, multiplayer & coop, set in the alternate reality of 1920+
    20200730 Iron harvest Open Beta (RTS, steampunk, single player, multiplayer)

Welcome to Fight Crab.A new 3D action game where you take control of a crab, and fight off other giant enemy crabs.Physics allows for crabs to move powerfully and quickly in this hardcore battle arena.Freely control your pincers to use weapons and develop your own crab fighting style.
    20200730 fight crab (FIGHT, CRAB)

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Hoooooly shit

I don't think I've seen anything from notE3 2020 that looks as next-gen as Flight Simulator does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEkNQVWkgpc

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Played a little grounded.

Boy this sure is a survival game. If you like them, good news, it’s an interesting fun setting.

If you don’t well, you already know to avoid it.

Because even with 0 arachnophobia, oh boy did I jump a mile when I first encountered some spiders.

i honestly think the blobs look creepier than the actual spider models

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the satisfactory cat sprites are also significantly creepier than spiders but also I don't have arachnophobia so my opinion on arachnophobia accommodations is moot

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I turned on Satisfactory's arachnophobia mode on once and while it's funny, it makes hitting the spiders impossible.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have started playing a bit of the RDR2 online. It didn't grab me at first but I'm getting a little more into it, just doing daily challenges to try and grind some gold so I can buy a role and do more interesting stuff. Still really broke and can't even go fishing because that's gated behind being level 14 and I'm only 11 at the moment. I did not realise how much I enjoy the fishing in this game until I could no longer do it.

When I logged in today I got a reward for linking my Twitch prime account to my Rockstar social club account, even though I didn't, and don't even have a Twitch account. Surprise free Funbux, hooray! I celebrated by buying myself a new horse.
    My horse in single player is a dark bay Andalusian called Zero which I really like even though it's objectively not a very good horse. So I bought a different colour Andalusian for online and named him Subzero.

0_0.jpg

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    So there's a game going into EA tomorrow called Banners of Ruin. I know nothing about it except it described itself as Slay the Spire meets Darkest Dungeon, and the characters look like something out of Redwall and I am here for that.
    ss_0ebdd77a3ceed055bec3d7747850dd8c6d8de94d.jpg?t=1596035993

It's only like DARKEST in that you can lose your team mates (and the cards associated with them). Definitely STS-esque as (at least for the first Act which is all that is available at the moment) as you are running down city streets and having to choose which street to go down each turn. It's pretty standard deckbuilding fare so far, but it's enjoyable and the art style looks really good.

Another good deckbuilder that came out is CARDACLYSM which also has some fun mechanics. From the short time I played with it, you have a starting deck that you are trying to build up to eventually take on a boss that is stalking you throughout the randomly generated levels. You can try to take the boss on on the first level but will almost assuredly die or just keep grinding until you feel comfortable in beating them. Right now there are two bosses with one boss unbeatable (I think).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Thanks, I'll hold off til there's more game then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Flight Sim needs to have a 1:1 scale world option. Make it take me 13 hours to fly over the Pacific.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Flight Sim needs to have a 1:1 scale world option. Make it take me 13 hours to fly over the Pacific.

oh it's not 1:1? I am less impressed by the high fidelity world then

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2020

oh it's not 1:1? I am less impressed by the high fidelity world then

It is 1:1. You can absolutely do 24hr-long flights in real time, if you so choose.

Brolo on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Are there any decent to, dare I hope, good Gundam games?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

The old flight sim was 1:1, is this one not? I know they have time compression mode, to speed up long hauls.

I remember one time taking off from Hawaii and heading towards Australia in like a 777. If I had a tail wind the entire time I could just get there. I let it run on Autopilot in real time and went to work. I got home just in time for the out of fuel warnings to start going off and i crashed just within sight of the coast. I apparently did not have the tailwind the entire time.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I'm not sure why that wouldn't be the case as with every other serious grognard flight sim.

IGN posted a video of a realtime flight between SF and Vegas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAz_eSDoWqY

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    What do you do for most of that? For that matter what do real pilots do? I always assume they get up to cruising and then play cards for 12 hours or something.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »

The Dynasty Warriors Except They're Gundams games were pretty fun

• Options
    What do you do for most of that? For that matter what do real pilots do? I always assume they get up to cruising and then play cards for 12 hours or something.

You do systems checks and keep an eye on things, talk to the ATC. it can be a problem on longer hauls keeping the pilots attention on their instruments. You have lots of checklists.

In the video game if you’re super hardcore you fly it real time. Or you speed up the simulation by 2x to 4x.

In the older Sims i believe you could spawn yourself in the air a distance away from the airport. Like you could spawn 500 miles out from Sydney over the pacific so you could do the landing.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    I'm not sure why that wouldn't be the case as with every other serious grognard flight sim.

IGN posted a video of a realtime flight between SF and Vegas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAz_eSDoWqY

Wow. That was a really bad landing at the end. Half the plane off the runway.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Does FlightSim account for disasters like can your plane just suddenly take a shit for no apparent reason

• Options
    Gonna be honest I have no idea if it's 1:1. I just assumed it wasn't cause games don't make you actually take a dozen hours to fly somewhere. If it is than guess I have no idea what I'm talking about

• Options
    Gonna be honest I have no idea if it's 1:1. I just assumed it wasn't cause games don't make you actually take a dozen hours to fly somewhere. If it is than guess I have no idea what I'm talking about

you can speed up time for most flights

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Does FlightSim account for disasters like can your plane just suddenly take a shit for no apparent reason

Yes. Theres settings for malfunction rate, turbulence, bad weather. In X you could have it use real time weather data from your region which is pretty cool.

Also flight sim has always been a Simulation first, game second. Properly instructed, flight sim can account for a percentage of your flight hours when going for your license.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »

The Dynasty Warriors Except They're Gundams games were pretty fun
    Looks like its been a while since there's been one. I did enjoy one of those One Piece warriors games for what it was though.
    There's a free to play thing on PS4. I dunno, I've been in a weird gundam consumption rampage half because I haven't been able to get into any games lately.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

You're not wrong. Long-haul pilots often get bored as fuck. Take off and turn to heading, climb to cruise height, set autopilot, do fuck-all but occasional radio checks and checks on fuel burn, weather, and progress for 14 hours.

• Options
    Back when I was in the Air Force, one of the jobs I had involved directly supporting missions where the pilots would be in the air for several hours at a time. By and large the flight paths were fairly simple and programmed into the planes. The pilots were mostly there for taking off/landing and in case something went wrong with the plane they could manually take control of it. They would bring up things like books and ipads loaded with movies to kill time.

If everything is going well being a pilot involves a lot of boredom.

• Options
    Can you get BIRD STRIKE

Can you land in the Hudson river

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Pc thread, I am looking for suggestions.

I want a competitive game, preferably 1v1, that is not an fps and preferably not an reflex based game. I'm also looking to avoid ccgs/tcgs or games where you have to buy components of the game to compete.

Any suggestions? I've loved Prismata and puzzle strike recently.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Pc thread, I am looking for suggestions.

I want a competitive game, preferably 1v1, that is not an fps and preferably not an reflex based game. I'm also looking to avoid ccgs/tcgs or games where you have to buy components of the game to compete.

Any suggestions? I've loved Prismata and puzzle strike recently.

Rocket league 1v1?
    StarCraft 2?
    5D Chess with Multi Dimensional Time Travel?

Brolo on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I can't wait to take off from my ratty old local airport in a regional puddle jumper, and go land in O'Hare. I'm a real plane! I deserve to be here!

This discussion has been closed.