As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The key thing would be that from what I can tell with a bit of research, this interception took place well before MIRV separation i.e. it fundamentally changes the game

Wow you get that on one hand and on the other the Nagorno-Karabakh war is basically signalling that drone warfare will herald the death of the tank

• Options
    Is it worth us talking about the Nagorno-Karabakh war? Because, like, that seems like it is a really significant thing that just happened and yet nobody really seems to be talking about it, thousands of people have just died in a straight up shooting war between Azerbaijan and Armenia in which words like "Army Corps" and " Armoured Brigade" and so on have been thrown around. The Azerbaijani Army has inflicted a severe defeat on the Republic of Artsakh and captured a huge amount of territory directly, forced territorial concessions from Armenia, and has reduced the Artsakh Enclave's connection to a corridor secured by Russian peacekeepers.

During this time the Armenian Armoured and Self-Propelled Artillery forces in the field have been destroyed, almost entirely by a combination of 1) loitering munitions, 2) drones with deployable munitions, and 3) drones spotting for artillery. I feel like this is precipitating a big change in the future of warfare; drones not just as replacements for fighter jets but being active parts of warfare on every single level, cyber warfare was also used extensively to jam air defences and communications... this is a big deal

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    First I've heard of it but I'm not surprised about drone warfare getting more developed

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    knitdan wrote: »
    Too bad they talked about it so now all China has to do is add garbage dumps and scrap piles to the target list

As a person who lives on the island, I would be overjoyed if Chinese missiles were being shot at scrap heaps and garbage dumps rather than military bases and civilian targets.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    First I've heard of it but I'm not surprised about drone warfare getting more developed

Well I think it's an important topic of discussion in the sense that we are seeing a revolution in high-tech warfare, but also because like, there has been a large scale land war in which thousands of civilians and soldiers have died on both sides, and in which the aggressor has absolutely managed to succeed; Azerbaijan initiated the conflict and has 100% come out as the victor. Numerous ceasefires failed to be adhered to, until the final one which essentially was precipitated by the Azerbaijani victory (i.e. it was essentially a surrender of territories captured document). Turkey is the major Azerbaijani ally and therefore has increased it's power in the region, and Russia (who sell arms to both but probably back Armenia a little more) has essentially worked as the mediator to secure the corridor between Armenia and it's enclave.

It's kind of a wild situation, but obviously the Coronavirus Pandemic has largely swallowed up more news. For those living in the warzone however, we are looking at levels of violence and brutality that is on a level of the Syrian Civil War; between the 27th of September and 10th of November well over 4,000 people died and over 130,000 civilians were displaced. The response to the ceasefire was entirely positive, which is understandable but a bit weird given that it essentially means everyone has said yeah you can totally invade somewhere and take a bunch of territory and kill thousands and force concessions, that's cool

Solar on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Well I think it's an important topic of discussion in the sense that we are seeing a revolution in high-tech warfare, but also because like, there has been a large scale land war in which thousands of civilians and soldiers have died on both sides, and in which the aggressor has absolutely managed to succeed; Azerbaijan initiated the conflict and has 100% come out as the victor. Numerous ceasefires failed to be adhered to, until the final one which essentially was precipitated by the Azerbaijani victory (i.e. it was essentially a surrender of territories captured document). Turkey is the major Azerbaijani ally and therefore has increased it's power in the region, and Russia (who sell arms to both but probably back Armenia a little more) has essentially worked as the mediator to secure the corridor between Armenia and it's enclave.

It's kind of a wild situation, but obviously the Coronavirus Pandemic has largely swallowed up more news. For those living in the warzone however, we are looking at levels of violence and brutality that is on a level of the Syrian Civil War; between the 27th of September and 10th of November well over 4,000 people died and over 130,000 civilians were displaced. The response to the ceasefire was entirely positive, which is understandable but a bit weird given that it essentially means everyone has said yeah you can totally invade somewhere and take a bunch of territory and kill thousands and force concessions, that's cool

russia already proved that with ukraine

• Options
    There hasn't been an internationally supported ceasefire in Ukraine

• Options

everybody kinda just forgot about it

• Options
    I think this is quite a bit different and that you are being rather reductionist about it tbh

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    A sidenote to the topic earlier this year it became apparent that Russia's next gen anti aircraft platform the Pantsir series don't work on drones cause them units they sold/loaned/gavetoseewhathappens to Syria got utterly fucking helplessly obliterated by Turkish drones

Like ineffective to the point that questions like "were they turned on" and "did anyone know how to work the controls" were raised

Hobnail on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    You may remember the interesting fact that when leaves change color in the fall, it's due to the leaves losing their chlorophyll, revealing other pigments that were already there but masked by all the green pigment.

The double interesting fact is that it's not a passive process. The tree is actively breaking down the chlorophyll into its component chemical compounds, salvaging any usable nutrients and sugars from the resulting slurry, and sucking them back into the trunk and roots to store for winter. In the spring, this is part of the "packed lunch" that will allow the tree to bud and produce leaves without the benefit of active photosynthesis.

If the tree's branches are broken due to, say, an apocalyptic early-autumn ice storm, the tree can't access those leaves to break down the chlorophyll. All that pigment is now inaccessible.

So now, for a brief period all over the city, you can diagnose which branches are too damaged to survive because they're the only ones that still have green leaves.

8qvp5khzwlrl.png

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    I seem to be getting targeted by ads for something called the equity guru which sounds extremely real and have all been about mining ventures so far

I dunno

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Legal psychedelics, you say?

• Options
    edited November 2020
    And moreover, real

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Executing right now

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that ad copy is trying really hard to get you to click on it just to figure out what the fuck it's babbling about

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Acid made in a castle going by the picture

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

everybody kinda just forgot about it

Wouldn't the better comparison be uhh, Georgia? I think that's who it was, like a decade ago, that Russia attacked and claimed parts of and the world just kinda shrugged.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Castle acid, or cacid if you will,

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Castle acid, or cacid if you will,

sounds better than acstle

• Options
    Hold your tongue and say acstle

• Options
    Hold your tongue and say acstle

oh no now i'm gonna get in trouble :(

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Welp today I learned that ostriches raised on farms can become sexually attracted to the farmers and have no interest in other ostriches.

The sex of the farmer nor the ostrich matters.

So there you go.

• Options
    .....how did you learn this

• Options
    Internet

I ain't even got ostriches what are horny for me I gotta rethink my shit

• Options
    Wikipedia or cornhub

• Options
    Look I don't come in here asking you questions

• Options
    Dont you ever say cornhub on this forum again

• Options
    The internet’s sexiest collection of ear erotica

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Earotica.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    My ex-girlfriend’s parrot fell in love with her and would try to mate with her. He would get mad jealous anytime I would come around and if ever we were alone together he would try to fight me

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    My ex-girlfriend’s parrot fell in love with her and would try to mate with her. He would get mad jealous anytime I would come around and if ever we were alone together he would try to fight me

Step to this shit, hookbill.

Make a fucking move, psittacoid, you got nothin’ on me.

• Options
    Tef wrote: »

I figure you got at least 5:4 odds on em

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular

When my wife and I were on our honeymoon back in 2003, New Zealand was still chock full of post-LOTR movie-related things going on, so we went to a bunch of sites where they filmed bits of it. (we visited my dad's ex-flatmate who lived in a house about five minutes walk from the quarry where they filmed Helms Deep, for example).

Anyway, in Nelson was the jeweler that made the various One Rings, and they had one of them in the shop. They wouldn't let us try it on (for obvious reasons) but we did get to hold a The One Ring:

DlS6f5x.jpg

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That's actually a little unsettling because it feels like I should be able to understand the words if I listen just a bit closer.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    The "All Right" is the vaguely saw from Cow Tools of that song.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VsmF9m_Nt8&feature=emb_title

now in color

lyrics being in coherent gibberish that sounds like a foreign language is also one of Yoko Kanno's things.

edit: the thread's got some other similar stuff and oh my god

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Wikipedia or cornhub
    do you prefer hard pour corn or soft pour corn?