As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Justice of the [Chat]

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    What makes me happy is knowing that the way the Shire is depicted in the beginning of LotR is a 100% accurate depiction of people from the British Isles

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    What makes me happy is knowing that the way the Shire is depicted in the beginning of LotR is a 100% accurate depiction of people from the British Isles

they sure eat a lot of breakfasts

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am really enjoying the second season of the Umbrella Academy. Its weird, but a good weird.

I just watched the first season last month so I'm excited to watch more

I pretty much only like Klaus, but the overall concept is compelling enough that I'm down for it. Ensemble casts are good. If we can see more of the hot dead brother I'd be happy.

I love 5. He is such a bastard. But I enjoy the character.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I love Cosgrove.

• Options
    Well well well

Just snagged me a phone interview with an AI startup

The salary is less than I'd like but includes equity, which is important to me on like a philosophical level, and they said "negotiable"

I think I out-experience the requested credentials at least so I may try to bargain, though honestly judging the worth of equity next to salary is not something I've had to do before

• Options
    Well well well

The salary is less than I'd like but includes equity, which is important to me on like a philosophical level, and they said "negotiable"

I think I out-experience the requested credentials at least so I may try to bargain, though honestly judging the worth of equity next to salary is not something I've had to do before

Ahh so you are joining a company designed to be bought and eaten by Google/Facebook/Apple/Microsoft eh?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Hmm, doing a movie night with some folks next weekend as like a socially distant backyard thing

I suggested Upgrade but it might be too violent — any other suggestions for a nerdy crew?

• Options
    Well well well

Ahh so you are joining a company designed to be bought and eaten by Google/Facebook/Apple/Microsoft eh?

Almost certainly

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Paper Mario: Origami King is interesting. It's very good except i don't know if i like the battle system yet.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Hmm, doing a movie night with some folks next weekend as like a socially distant backyard thing

I suggested Upgrade but it might be too violent — any other suggestions for a nerdy crew?

Hackers

I second this.

Also my mom said Jojo Rabbit is on something now. HBO? I want to see that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Paper Mario: Origami King is interesting. It's very good except i don't know if i like the battle system yet.

Oh wow that's out already?

Worth?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Around here we have road signs that read
    SLOW
    CHILDREN
    AT
    PLAY

Knowing the people around here, the signs are not wrong.

Also, that boy is a future HOA member in the making

My favorite is the one that says "Watch For Children" with a picture of two kids on a see-saw. Like, maybe you shouldn't be installing see-saws in the middle of the road, city park planners.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Oh wow that's out already?

Worth?

Came out a week ago but i just got started. It's charming.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    SLOW
    CHILDREN
    AT
    PLAY

My favorite is the one that says "Watch For Children" with a picture of two kids on a see-saw. Like, maybe you shouldn't be installing see-saws in the middle of the road, city park planners.

Oops! All Playing Children!

• Options
    jojo rabbit is for sure a movie

i'm still not sure how i felt about it

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Shadows-L-Modesitt-Jr/dp/1250229200
    On a world called Heaven, the ten major religions of mankind each have its own land governed by a capital city and ruled by a Hegemon. That Hegemon may be a god, or a prophet of a god. Smaller religions have their own towns or villages of belief.

Corvyn, known as the Shadow of the Raven, contains the collective memory of humanity’s Falls from Grace. With this knowledge comes enormous power.

When unknown power burns a mysterious black image into the holy place of each House of the Decalivre, Corvyn must discover what entity could possibly have that much power. The stakes are nothing less than another Fall, and if he doesn't stop it, mankind will not rise from the ashes.

This is easily the best book I've read this year. Everyone should read it.

The “Shadow of the Raven”’s name is Corvyn

No

I don’t think I will

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    jojo rabbit is for sure a movie

i'm still not sure how i felt about it

It feels like a movie I will love or hate. I love the director. I love the delicious blasphemy of a Jew playing Hitler too. At a deep level.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I am really enjoying the second season of the Umbrella Academy. Its weird, but a good weird.

I pretty much only like Klaus, but the overall concept is compelling enough that I'm down for it. Ensemble casts are good. If we can see more of the hot dead brother I'd be happy.

I think he's a well-designed and well-acted character, but I'm never happy when the show spends more time following him around cause he's annoying!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    SLOW
    CHILDREN
    AT
    PLAY

My wife is grumpy about the Duck Crossing sign near our house that uses swimming ducks in silhouette.

• Options

I think he's a well-designed and well-acted character, but I'm never happy when the show spends more time following him around cause he's annoying!

He feels much better I think in the second series so far.

The real winner of the second seas has been the sound track. I won't spoil anything. But the sound track is just amazingly well done.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    On a world called Heaven, the ten major religions of mankind each have its own land governed by a capital city and ruled by a Hegemon. That Hegemon may be a god, or a prophet of a god. Smaller religions have their own towns or villages of belief.

Corvyn, known as the Shadow of the Raven, contains the collective memory of humanity’s Falls from Grace. With this knowledge comes enormous power.

When unknown power burns a mysterious black image into the holy place of each House of the Decalivre, Corvyn must discover what entity could possibly have that much power. The stakes are nothing less than another Fall, and if he doesn't stop it, mankind will not rise from the ashes.

No

I don’t think I will

Code name: Corvid-19. X.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

No

I don’t think I will

Code name: Corvid-19. X.

“If you think Bird Flu is bad, wait’ll you see this bird fly.”

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

No

I don’t think I will
    In the lightless study, the individual who called himself Corvyn sat behind a plain black table desk. His eyes went to the trident black-etched upon the gray stones of the wall.

Under certain conditions, as he well knew, the so-called color charges represented by quantum chromodynamics, and manifested in the arrival and appearance of the trident’s image, not only could vary in space and time, but could inhibit or undermine the properties of otherwise strong quantum interactions, even structured matter. That should not have been surprising to most people, but most human beings still perceived matter as solid, rather than as what it was—various levels of infinitesimal waveform energy amid vast empty space. And, given certain abilities, those possessed by powers, principalities, hegemons, and a few others, that vast empty space could be treated as and handled like shadows.

All the hegemons of the Decalivre had at least some ability with the shadows, as did others who were not hegemons, of which he was one. Also, with such powers, some hegemons believed they were gods, or some form of deity, while other hegemons, with similar powers, only believed that they were prophets or speakers for a god, while at least one House of the Decalivre had neither a prophet nor a deity. Yet all hegemons were powers with whom Corvyn had dealt and with whom he would have to deal in order to preclude another Fall. And that did not include those with lesser abilities, among them minor powers; greater powers, some of which were called angels; and principalities.

But which of the hegemons might have made such an overt and potentially threatening gesture as planting a trident in stone? Especially in another power’s domain?

You really should not judge him by his name. It's that for a reason. It's heavily implied that he is... someone from mythology. A very well known someone.
    He stepped out of the shade that cloaked his villa, a shade some called “shadows,” rendering it somehow less than discrete while not denying the solidity of its existence. Pausing momentarily on the wide sidewalk on the west side of the Avenue Pierrot, its smooth white paving stones polished by the noonday light, he noted the reflected light graying the black tunics and trousers of the Skeptics and the unrepentant, while softening the white garments of the few White Faithful who either felt they were doing penance or were trying to convert the unrepentant, if not both, by their presence. Corvyn did not see anyone from Aethena wearing the light green of the Maid, but that was anything but surprising in Helios. Officially this was Ciudad Helios, and sometimes, more colloquially, it was called simply Hel, at least by those in Ciudad Los Santos. Not that there had ever been many of the ancient sainted who had come to Helios since its founding after the forced landing of the Rapture and the days of the almost forgotten First and the scattered survivors of the previous Fall. But then, that was another story, and one that he was disinclined to reflect upon, unless he felt more charitable toward the white sheep and their shepherd than he usually did. As for the other seven Houses of the Decalivre . . . only a few of their inhabitants ever graced the paved streets of Helios. That was not true of the Saints of Nauvoo, although that village of belief was more the size of one of the smaller cities of the Decalivre.

It's sci fi, mixed with mythology. It's like American Gods, if I'm going to compare it to anything. Y'know, the one with the main character called -Shadow Moon-

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    The main character of my upcoming novel is Dyson Hoover.
    My novel sucks.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    SLOW
    CHILDREN
    AT
    PLAY

My wife is grumpy about the Duck Crossing sign near our house that uses swimming ducks in silhouette.

The one for fire stations that uses an image of a fire engine that hasn't been in service for almost a century is good too.

4154qNKAirL._AC_.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    https://streamable.com/7lfp68

I am a 12 year old boy apparently because this made me laugh hard

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    So far we've got.

Nestorian Christianity
    Catholicism
    Confucianism
    Taoism
    Judaism
    Islam
    Agnostics and Atheists (Skeptics)
    Hellenism
    Zoroastrianism

and I haven't gotten to the tenth religion yet

• Options
    I'm expecting it to be Buddhism or Hinduism.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    what if someday instead of ignoring my job applications someone hired me

The best is when they ghost your application/interview/visit, and then six to nine months later you get an email from HR being like "oh we hired someone else btw"

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

It felt a lot more cohesive than the first season to me. Like, they had to spend some time setting up how weird the universe is, now they're just running with it and indulging in how well all the characters bounce off each other.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

That’s what we called a cellular phone back in the steampunk ages

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I was searching for a tulumba maker when I found this thing selling itself as an “antique” for $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tulumba-Tulumbe-Turkish-Bosnian-Serbian-Cookie-Maker-Tool-Antique-Syringe-/233571668883

It’s just a busted old thing that costs 5x more than what anyone should be paying. Or maybe that’s just all antiques.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    MrMrMister and I binged S2 of the Umbrella Academy the last couple days. Overall, I think I liked it more than S1?

Eventually I got pretty sick of some of the characters, though, who really just need to be slapped. By the end, Allison was probably the only one I found consistently non-annoying.

Overall I found it a fun, fluffy way to pass the time.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Just spotted: young teen in a hoodie with Virginia Tech colors, except the text read Virginity Rocks

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Just spotted: young teen in a hoodie with Virginia Tech colors, except the text read Virginity Rocks

I was at a mall in the Before Times and saw a store with a whole variety of "Virginity Rocks" shirts on display.

Is this some sort of cult thing? Or is it ironic?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I was at a mall in the Before Times and saw a store with a whole variety of "Virginity Rocks" shirts on display.

Probably evangelical/Southern Baptist.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular

It's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife

Bless your heart.
  • Options

Probably evangelical/Southern Baptist.

nah southern baptist is just abortion hell halloween

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    The "Take a well known thing/logo and make it nauseatingly Christian" is a very Southern Baptist tradition.

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.