Options

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Don't the cordless circular saws take smaller blades? I'd think you'd be happier with a corded one
    ironhead wrote: »
    So I turned the water off in order to fix a problem with the bathroom sink. Fixed the problem and turned the water back on but now my hot water (and only my hot water) has like no pressure. How long should my wife and I wait for it to come back before calling a plumber?

That seems like it has to be a clog of some kind that settled out when the water was out, or you forgot to open something you closed?
    https://www.chasroberts.com/4-things-to-do-when-you-suddenly-lose-water-pressure/#:~:text=Sometimes, it can be left,can cause low water pressure.

Otherwise, try opening all the sinks and flushing all the toilets to make sure there's not air in the pipes some place causing weird behavior.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Today's New Dishwasher Day and I couldn't be more excited. The new one got dropped off this morning, installer comes in a couple hours and will be leaving with the old POS.

The current unit is a crappy, old, cheap thing that's straight out of any shitty apartment that I used to rent. I don't know why the previous owners put up with it. It doesn't always drain completely, there's no filter just an unremovable grate with holes bigger than a colander that you have to reach in and pick food out of, of course there's no top rack spinner, and it's loud as hell.

Update: New dishwasher is quiet as hell, unless you're standing next to it about the only thing you can hear is when a cycle drains. Runs significantly longer but that's a trade-off I'll take. It's also got a third flat rack for utensils that is perfect for the zillion bottle pieces we go through so we get to drop the bottle basket and reclaim a bunch of top shelf space.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @Gilgaron I'm only in the market for a 7 1/4" blade and there's both corded and cordless models to handle that size. Anything larger and I'd rather use a table saw or miter

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    This seems like a easy/fun restoration project right?
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/fuo/d/los-angeles-kitchen-table-with-cutting/7216973222.html

Worth driving across town for?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/fuo/d/los-angeles-kitchen-table-with-cutting/7216973222.html

For $25? Fuck yea. If nothing else, it would be a great piece to practice on.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    We packed the last of our furniture and signed the closing paperwork on the sale of our house this past weekend and man that was weird. Seeing it empty, locking the doors for the last time, closing the garage and driving away and we're just... never going to go back to it again, after living there for 11 years.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Man, that's a great piece for $25. The lumber alone would be worth more than that.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    We packed the last of our furniture and signed the closing paperwork on the sale of our house this past weekend and man that was weird. Seeing it empty, locking the doors for the last time, closing the garage and driving away and we're just... never going to go back to it again, after living there for 11 years.

It's a surreal feeling. I still have the memory of closing the door to my first condo I lived in for 10 years for the last time and taking the last car-load of stuff out of there to my storage unit in prep for my move up here. Like it never really hits you until that moment the sentimental feelings you sort of latently build up to a place, for better or worse.

• Options
    I have no sentimental feelings. I may be dead inside

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I have no sentimental feelings. I may be dead inside

I've never owned a home and my mom still lives in my childhood home, but I did recently move out of an apartment I lived in for around 8 years. As I was closing the door for the last time I honestly thought the place looked a lot worse then I remembered it. Probably should have moved away sooner, but I did like the place while I was there.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Our last house we lived less than half a mile from the power plant. The only time our power went out for more than a couple hours in the 11 years we were there was when a freak storm with 80+ mph winds took out power to almost two million people in the state for a week.

Our new house... the infrastructure is less than stellar. So now I'm prepared for anything.

oSgNizw.jpg?1

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Our last house we lived less than half a mile from the power plant. The only time our power went out for more than a couple hours in the 11 years we were there was when a freak storm with 80+ mph winds took out power to almost two million people in the state for a week.

Our new house... the infrastructure is less than stellar. So now I'm prepared for anything.

oSgNizw.jpg?1

If you need something like that, it's probably worth also looking into a whole house surge protector

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    So, a while ago I posted about wifi extenders and I'd bough this expensive Netgear brand one since it matched my router. When it worked it was great, but it was unacceptably spotty for the price.

I returned it and got a $40 TP Link extender, and while not as seamless with the WIFI, the signal is way, way, more stable.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    How long until Hulk Smash toilet? 7 days. SEVEN DAYYYYYYYYSSSSSS! *smash*

Day 1) Buy toilet flapper replacement kit @ Home Depot -- doesn't fit
    Day 2) Buy toilet flapper replacement kit @ Ace after measuring more -- still doesn't fit
    Day 3) Buy branded toilet flapper replacement kit @ Amazon
    Day 4) Amazon kit fits...but...wait...it's missing a single piece needed to connect the rubber bulb to the flapper handle.
    Day 5) Buy branded toilet flapper replacement kit #2 @ Amazon
    Day 6) Try to control breathing, wait for mail.
    Day 7) *breathing intensifies*

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If your power goes out more frequently than once or twice a year, if natural gas is available to you, definitely look into a natural gas whole home generator.

They are surprisingly affordable.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    How long until Hulk Smash toilet? 7 days. SEVEN DAYYYYYYYYSSSSSS! *smash*

Day 1) Buy toilet flapper replacement kit @ Home Depot -- doesn't fit
    Day 2) Buy toilet flapper replacement kit @ Ace after measuring more -- still doesn't fit
    Day 3) Buy branded toilet flapper replacement kit @ Amazon
    Day 4) Amazon kit fits...but...wait...it's missing a single piece needed to connect the rubber bulb to the flapper handle.
    Day 5) Buy branded toilet flapper replacement kit #2 @ Amazon
    Day 6) Try to control breathing, wait for mail.
    Day 7) *breathing intensifies*

What manufacturer?

The only one I ever had trouble with was a damn Mansfield.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    If your power goes out more frequently than once or twice a year, if natural gas is available to you, definitely look into a natural gas whole home generator.

I'm going this route but just having a tank installed. With how much I'd need to generate a 200 gallon tank will last me over a week of heavy use. I might plumb it into the house so I could have a gas stove as well.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I really wished I had one a couple years back when the power went out for nearly a full day in the dead of winter. But I am a cheap fuck and live to roll the dice, apparently.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    It's an Eljer. The house is from '77 and I'm finding a lot of the fixtures and whatnot to be original, which is hella pretty, but takes a little more effort to match up when repairing or refurbing. =)

• Options
    It's a Parkman

• Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Earliest snow accumulation in close to 10 years and 3-5 inches, dipping into low teens(F) next few days. Time to light it up.
    k3fxq2mgutql.jpg

LeperMessiah on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Earliest snow accumulation in close to 10 years and 3-5 inches, dipping into low teens(F) next few days. Time to light it up.
    k3fxq2mgutql.jpg

Looks cozy <3 I should find something to emulate that feeling.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    It's a Parkman

WHY DID NO ONE GET MY SEINFELD JOKE

• Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular

oSgNizw.jpg?1

Wish I had that right now, the previously mentioned snow storm knocked out power last night, still out. Plenty of flash lights and candles, cooked on the camp stove and the fire posted above kept us nice as warm. Small battery banks are keeping electronics going. Unfortunately all of my off grid camping stuff, like my solar panels and larger battery bank, are still not unloaded from the camper van which is miles away. We are on city water but have 10 gallons stored as well, all stuff nice to have even when you live in town for those new or soon to be homeowners out there.

• Options
    At least when it's cold you can just fill up a cooler with snow, put your fridge food in it and chuck it outside without worrying about anything going bad.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    At least when it's cold you can just fill up a cooler with snow, put your fridge food in it and chuck it outside without worrying about anything going bad.

When it's really cold you can skip the cooler.

*remembers he lives near bears*

Maybe stick it in a cooler up in a tree.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck American Home Shield.

Thank you for your time.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Woo, did a small little project today. So out of nowhere, one of the smoke detectors on the ceiling just came loose. Apparently the plastic holes that were being used to hold it in place with screws snapped. My friend speculated that the builders just screwed it in too tight or something. Anyway, ended up measuring the screw distance and drilled some holes in the base of the detector that distance apart and was able to remount it no problem. As I said, simple, but it felt good to be able to figure out a solution to a weird small problem like that and implement it :D Woo, being an adult!

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

Thank you for your time.

Lemme guess ... “That’s not covered by your whole-home* warrantee.”

• Options
    I got tired of tearing out drywall today so I decided to clear the bamboo and see if I could get access to the partially collapsed room off the side of our garage.

IdA7Y3u.jpg
    The room is behind the window you can see here.

1pcS97N.jpg
    (There's a pile that size already behind me)

e0RWX2k.jpg

1xy7aeY.jpg
    I stood the door up, it had fallen and was being held up by bamboo.

2JeRp1c.jpg
    The Everbilt moisture barrier you can see is covering the doorway that goes the garage. Instead of, you know, taking care and fixing it when it started to collapse they just covered it up, leaving it to rot completely.

pyq81ad.jpg
    A radiator, some old Mercedes hubcaps and a grille. Also that light was still working, I've since disconnected it in the garage and capped the wires. I'm not sure if I'm going to attempt to rebuild it, the roof and floor are unsalvageable.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Yeah that looks less rebuildable and more tear literally everything out and build from scratch.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Wait. You bought a house with a partially collapsed room you couldn't physically access?

Does the thread need an old priest and a young priest now?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Wait. You bought a house with a partially collapsed room you couldn't physically access?

Does the thread need an old priest and a young priest now?

God no longer walks with Matt, clearly.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    I mean, I could've just cut the moisture barrier, there are even steps up to it, but then I would've had to take the time to replace it to keep the evil weather and bugs out of the garage.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    That straight up looks like something you encounter in a post apocalyptic game. And the moisture barrier is impassable until you find the construction knife upgrade.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Thank you for your time.

Lemme guess ... “That’s not covered by your whole-home* warrantee.”

Nah I beat them soundly on that one - see my plumbing posts from a few pages back - now I'm just dealing with their indescribably terrible customer service department over a bullshit charge.

• Options
    Friends, if you have a miter saw, or are planning on getting one in the next year, grab this stand:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14467583-ridgid-universal-mobile-miter-saw-stand-w-mounting-braces-99

Normally $219, on sale for $99. Fits pretty much every saw and is very easy to handle. I'm 99% you can leave the saw installed when you fold it up, so it tucks away for easy storage.

This is typically an annual deal at HD, but apparently last year it didn't show up. I managed to snag one locally this morning and I'm debating grabbing one for my brother as a gift even though he doesn't yet have the saw for it.

• Options
    Friends, if you have a miter saw, or are planning on getting one in the next year, grab this stand:

https://slickdeals.net/f/14467583-ridgid-universal-mobile-miter-saw-stand-w-mounting-braces-99

Normally $219, on sale for $99. Fits pretty much every saw and is very easy to handle. I'm 99% you can leave the saw installed when you fold it up, so it tucks away for easy storage.

This is typically an annual deal at HD, but apparently last year it didn't show up. I managed to snag one locally this morning and I'm debating grabbing one for my brother as a gift even though he doesn't yet have the saw for it.

Thanks for passing this along! Definitely picking one up. My miter saw has been sitting on a barely held together office desk in my garage - this will be an improvement for sure.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Home ownership is so dumb and obtuse sometimes. I've received a bill for my home insurance, but it's supposed to be part of the escrow account on the mortgage???, and of course the only way to contact these idiots is a 800 number.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Home ownership is so dumb and obtuse sometimes. I've received a bill for my home insurance, but it's supposed to be part of the escrow account on the mortgage???, and of course the only way to contact these idiots is a 800 number.

Make sure you are expected to pay it. I get a bill statement for my insurance, but it says "TO BE PAID BY MORTGAGEE", meaning that it is to be paid from the escrow.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.