As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D Discussion] 5th Edition HD Remaster Coming in 2024, Entering the Disney Vault in 2025

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    This would have been the kind of thing they'd probably wait until 5.5 to do, but that's 2024, and they want to keep selling books until then and don't want people hesitating because they'll get outdated in two years or so.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Brennan is basically the best thing to happen to CollegeHumor, full stop, and that's despite the many good changes they've made over the years to their content, and having a really good cast otherwise.

He's been a repeat guest on the Hello From the Magic Tavern podcast and jesus christ he knocked it out of the park. The snarky intro guy even said, "Did Brennan just out-Matt Young Matt Young (guy who plays Usidore the wizard and is often doing most of the worldcrafting in their improv)?"

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Brennan is basically the best thing to happen to CollegeHumor, full stop, and that's despite the many good changes they've made over the years to their content, and having a really good cast otherwise.

He's been a repeat guest on the Hello From the Magic Tavern podcast and jesus christ he knocked it out of the park. The snarky intro guy even said, "Did Brennan just out-Matt Young Matt Young (guy who plays Usidore the wizard and is often doing most of the worldcrafting in their improv)?"

This is just phenomenal from everyone involved but yea, Brennan just goes scary real. https://youtu.be/J8x-xoDeJsQ

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    FR is unquestionably the most popular setting, as the "Default", and they should have just stuck with that* and had any differences from that be present in the books made for alternative setting.

Like I think it's okay to have Eberron Goblins and FR Goblins be different things and the best part of it is if you wanted to use FR goblins in Eberron or vice versa, the printed material is right there, you just need to copy and paste

I would rather have 5 distinct varieties of a fictional thing and pick the one I want for a given campaign I'm running than one that's so bland I might as well homebrew it from the get go

*I'm not opposed to a different default setting, but that should come with either the total reprint or a new edition

FR is unquestionably the most popular setting because WOTC has made it the default setting. They have produced the most content related to it. They have included its assumptions into the default setting assumptions(with regards to planar travel rules and how different worlds are interconnected as well as using its NPC's as the core world NPC's and so on and so forth) And its the official setting for Adventurers League, the official DnD play method that is sponsored by WOTC as an outreach to bring people into the game.

There is zero way in which FR is not the default setting.

Volo's Guide to Monsters
    Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
    Xanathar's Guide to Everything
    Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

There is only two books that have named NPC's from non FR settings and only one of those is a general splat book rather than a specific setting book. (Fizban of Fizban's Guide to Dragon's is from Dragonlance)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I agree that FR is more or less considered the default setting, but I think Mordenkainen and Tasha are both originally from Greyhawk, aren't they?

Critical Role's world of Exandria is popular enough at least to have gotten both a setting book and an upcoming adventure module published by WotC that will explore so far undetailed regions of the setting.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Goumindong wrote: »
    FR is unquestionably the most popular setting, as the "Default", and they should have just stuck with that* and had any differences from that be present in the books made for alternative setting.

Like I think it's okay to have Eberron Goblins and FR Goblins be different things and the best part of it is if you wanted to use FR goblins in Eberron or vice versa, the printed material is right there, you just need to copy and paste

I would rather have 5 distinct varieties of a fictional thing and pick the one I want for a given campaign I'm running than one that's so bland I might as well homebrew it from the get go

*I'm not opposed to a different default setting, but that should come with either the total reprint or a new edition

FR is unquestionably the most popular setting because WOTC has made it the default setting. They have produced the most content related to it. They have included its assumptions into the default setting assumptions(with regards to planar travel rules and how different worlds are interconnected as well as using its NPC's as the core world NPC's and so on and so forth) And its the official setting for Adventurers League, the official DnD play method that is sponsored by WOTC as an outreach to bring people into the game.

There is zero way in which FR is not the default setting.

Volo's Guide to Monsters
    Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes
    Xanathar's Guide to Everything
    Tasha's Cauldron of Everything

There is only two books that have named NPC's from non FR settings and only one of those is a general splat book rather than a specific setting book. (Fizban of Fizban's Guide to Dragon's is from Dragonlance)

I've had two people quote me about FR being the default setting and I never said it wasn't, I said Wizards is moving away from that, if the leaks from the multiverse book are any indication, nor do I disagree that it's the most popular because it is and has been the default for decades - which is why I think attempting to abandon it or go "setting neutral" mid-edition is a bad idea

Edit: Does FR include greyhawk? I didn't know that, Toril specifically then I guess, since it's where almost every 5e official campaign is set, but Greyhawk's influences are baked into the DNA

override367 on
  • Options
    I'd be tickled pink if they changed the default to Exandria next edition but that's never gonna happen, CR Media Group doesn't want to give up creative control to Hasbro and Hasbro isn't tying their property to something they can't fully control

I do hope we keep getting Exandria books though

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Override367 gets it; by ripping out the lore and essence of a setting (whether it's FR, Ebberon, Theros, Dragonlance or the fucking nentir vale) You're not making it better, you're making it more bland and generic and that goes double for the various races that exist within the setting.

Plus having More Stuff to pick from means I have an excuse to order more books and get the dopamine rush from putting another thing on my shelves

When death takes me I prefer to have it be as a result of a cascade of my millions of D&D books collapsing on me, caving the floor in, and collapsing the building

The floor can't collapse if you're living in the basement.
    Well, unless you've got multiple basements.

But how many residential areas are zoned for sub basements?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    Override367 gets it; by ripping out the lore and essence of a setting (whether it's FR, Ebberon, Theros, Dragonlance or the fucking nentir vale) You're not making it better, you're making it more bland and generic and that goes double for the various races that exist within the setting.

Plus having More Stuff to pick from means I have an excuse to order more books and get the dopamine rush from putting another thing on my shelves

When death takes me I prefer to have it be as a result of a cascade of my millions of D&D books collapsing on me, caving the floor in, and collapsing the building

The floor can't collapse if you're living in the basement.
    Well, unless you've got multiple basements.

But how many residential areas are zoned for sub basements?

since we're moving into a dystopia we might start to get undercities

• Options
    edited January 2022
    A quick search indicated that whiled Mordenkainen and Tasha originated in Greyhawk, they're basically multiversal at this point. (Explaining why their spells exist in so many settings.)

Apparently Mordenkainen was Gary Gygax's player character from a few months after D&D was created?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    A quick search indicated that whiled Mordenkainen and Tasha originated in Greyhawk, they're basically multiversal at this point. (Explaining why their spells exist in so many settings.)

Apparently Mordenkainen was Gary Gygax's player character from a few months after D&D was created?

Almost all the named spells in the PHB's of various editions where from PCs in that initial campaign. Melf was one of his son's IIRC?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I had an epic level Lich in an evil campaign we ran once who really, really wanted to kick Mordenkainen's ass (dem spellbooks!), but I never got up the nerve because I know the DM would have wiped the floor with me.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The Fizban persona is very Dragonlance, yes, but he could be considered multi-versal as well since he's an aspect of Bahamut.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Brennan Lee Mulligan is a phenomenal DM

https://youtu.be/bmaoNLSHx_w
    Holy crap this man. <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RihPW8GZGMk

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Ah we're posting great Brandon Lee Mulligan clips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BqQrN1OCPI&amp;list=LL&amp;index=47

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    Ah we're posting great Brandon Lee Mulligan clips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BqQrN1OCPI&amp;list=LL&amp;index=47

Galfast Hamhead might be one of the greatest character foils I've ever seen.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Brennen Lee mulligan is like a D&D improv mutant. That dude can just start making up worlds in an instant. It’s fuckin electric to watch him just bullshitting and building weird worlds off the tiniest inspiration.

Half his awesome side characters are total improvisations built off the table yes anding their creation.

• Options
    shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    Are there recommendations for one-shot collections that are more light-hearted? I have Yawning Portal, but those are serious and take longer than one session. I have a few AL modules, but those all look like they're more standard fare. I'm really looking for more silly one-shots. I have no problem doing improv and turning more serious fare silly, but sometimes it's nice to just have it already ridiculous.

I found a few on DM's Guild, Wild Sheep Chase, Yeryl's Super Happy Fun Murder Dungeon, and Poop Bird Poop Fight, anything you've played similar that's just goofy.

• Options
    Here's 60 one page dungeons that work good for dumping into a one shot, some of them might fit

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Personally I love the freeform stat additions of Tashas for all races so people aren't so afraid of playing other races or MAD classes. And I homebrew everything so losing lore doesn't make me sad. A giant in my game has nothing to do with any ordning and a redcap can just be an evilish fey instead of a will-never-stop-trying-to-kill-you.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Personally I love the freeform stat additions of Tashas for all races so people aren't so afraid of playing other races or MAD classes. And I homebrew everything so losing lore doesn't make me sad. A giant in my game has nothing to do with any ordning and a redcap can just be an evilish fey instead of a will-never-stop-trying-to-kill-you.

But why even have anything on the page then? A redcap is "homebrew monster", a giant is a "homebrew monster"

Like I get what you're saying but this isn't painting a compelling case for actually paying money for the supplements containing such things

If they don't have a "suggested" or "recommended" or "Default" lore or statblock I might as well use third party materials

Also, 5e's Monster Manual's mechanical statblocks are kind of lame in a lot of cases anyway, a Frost Giant in 5e is just Hitpoints that Attacks the lore is the only thing that gives it any substance at all

Edit: tbh they could stand to do a whole pass of monsters, I hate to keep saying "A5E does it better" but look how much more interesting this guy is for a level 4 party to fight than a 5e Hill Giant (in spoiler)
    6kj3WLH.jpg

override367 on
  • Options

But why even have anything on the page then? A redcap is "homebrew monster", a giant is a "homebrew monster"

Like I get what you're saying but this isn't painting a compelling case for actually paying money for the supplements containing such things

If they don't have a "suggested" or "recommended" or "Default" lore or statblock I might as well use third party materials

Also, 5e's Monster Manual's mechanical statblocks are kind of lame in a lot of cases anyway, a Frost Giant in 5e is just Hitpoints that Attacks the lore is the only thing that gives it any substance at all

Edit: tbh they could stand to do a whole pass of monsters, I hate to keep saying "A5E does it better" but look how much more interesting this guy is for a level 4 party to fight than a 5e Hill Giant (in spoiler)
    6kj3WLH.jpg

I dunno I pay for these assets on roll20 to get a hundred pre statted out art included tokens and backend drag and drop stuff for my plauers creating characters I haven't bought books in years I run all my games online

• Options
    edited January 2022
    But you can also buy third party supplements that contain hundreds of statted out tokens on Roll20, so while it's great for you, I don't think it's a good decision for Wizards - so I don't disagree with anything you're saying or anyone else who only uses the official content for assets

override367 on
  • Options
    I have bought a bunch of character art token packs

and periodically monster sets

though the balancing on some of them, like tome of beasts, requires a double check before I use them.

I usually fiddle with monster stats a tiny bit. Since I do maxed crits I changed a cyclops boulder toss from a flat attack roll to an aoe dex save to not 3d10 + 30 some level 5s at one point.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

"He died as he lived: buried in the minutiae of the rules."

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgV29biCjgM

A few notes from the video:
    • Future books will take a "multiversal perspective" rather than using the Forgotten Realms as the default setting, partially because future adventures will take place in different campaign settings and planes.
    • Races and monsters will be primarily described by their commonalities among all settings rather than their lore in one particular setting.
    • The new origin of the goblinoids is that they were creatures of the Feywild; the evil goblinoids are descendants of those who were conquered and sent to invade other worlds by an evil god.
    • Changelings have also been retconned to not only be Fey, but to exist in other campaign worlds other than Eberron (but have so far evaded detection).

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Changlings and Shifters getting multiversed, but not Warforged is a little weird but I guess makes sense.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    This isn't from the video I just posted, but apparently the origin of gnolls in 5E has also been rectconned with the new book. Gnolls were created by magic of some kind and only some are followers of Yeenoghu...but apparently even non-Yeenoghu worshipers are merciless killers and are Typically Chaotic Evil.

Also it appears that the only new monster in the entire book (as far as I've seen so far) is the Dolphin Delighter, a telepathic Fey dolphin that can teleport.

EDIT: TBH everything I've seen about Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse makes it only seem useful to people who have neither the Volo's Guide to Monsters or Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes books nor the standalone monster cards. Most of it is just PC races or monsters with slightly altered mechanics and and less lore.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Yeah I was pretty much right the direction we're moving in

because the worst thing for a company that publishes books would be to publish different books for different settings, instead we'll publish books that are mediocre and generic for every setting and please nobody

override367 on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Yeah I was pretty much right the direction we're moving in is

"Race Name
    Statblock? Up to you!
    How long do they live, how big are they? Up to you!
    Lore? what's that?"

because the worst thing for a company that publishes books would be to publish different books for different settings, instead we'll publish books that are mediocre and generic for every setting and please nobody*

*not to say a lot of their existing stuff wasn't mediocre, but wallpapering over it instead of adding options seems bad, especially since they can't bother to make the PHB sorcerer any good or fix the level 1 hexblade dip being so profoundly good and forcing all melee warlocks to go hexblade because, apparently, it's against their policy to rewrite content?

I am pleased with this direction. ;)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    I figure this may interest someone:
    The Known World (which later became Mystara) from the BECMI editions of D&D from 1983-90 started as Tom Moldvay’s and Lawrence Schick’s own campaign which ran from about 1976-1979. Bill Wilkerson, a player of those games saved the Moldvay-era OD&D house rules from then, as well as his own overview of the Imirrhosian Continent, which have been scanned and formatted into OD&D booklets by Designers & Dragons author Shannon Appelcline.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1F1kEbL4pZk9AJjzCgoOr8DhKyyZ4vOts

I've only glanced through it a bit, but one document has a section on "Nonhuman Player Characters" that includes among the more typical options creatures such as Banshees, Dragons, Sphinxes, Giants, "Protein Polymorphs", etc.

The section on "The Prime Alignments" is also interesting in that it follows my own personal take on the Law and Chaos axis. Though there are less extreme examples of Law, Neutrality, and Chaos, "High Law" and "High Chaos" are described thusly:
    ABSOLUTE ORDER (High Law) - The only tolerable form of existence is with everything in order and in its place. It is necessary that uniformity be imposed upon the world so that perfect control of all actions can be accomplished, thus eliminating all disruption and discontent.
    ABSOLUTE RANDOMNESS (High Chaos) - The ideal is the co-existence of all possibilities, which will come about when the bonds of Law (and Time, which is a Lawful concept) are broken. The ultimate goal is a return to that condition of total randomness that supposedly existed before the imposition of Law.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

Almost all the named spells in the PHB's of various editions where from PCs in that initial campaign. Melf was one of his son's IIRC?

Yes, and he was a Male Elf.

Similarly, you know all of those cool equipment-based spells like Drawmij's Instant Summons? Invented by Drawmij, played by jim warD.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yes, and he was a Male Elf.

Similarly, you know all of those cool equipment-based spells like Drawmij's Instant Summons? Invented by Drawmij, played by jim warD.

These fuckin' nerds.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kime wrote: »

"Race Name
    Statblock? Up to you!
    Lore? what's that?"

because the worst thing for a company that publishes books would be to publish different books for different settings, instead we'll publish books that are mediocre and generic for every setting and please nobody*

*not to say a lot of their existing stuff wasn't mediocre, but wallpapering over it instead of adding options seems bad, especially since they can't bother to make the PHB sorcerer any good or fix the level 1 hexblade dip being so profoundly good and forcing all melee warlocks to go hexblade because, apparently, it's against their policy to rewrite content?

Why is it better to replace the content we already have instead of reprinting it alongside the new options?

I mean this doesn't effect me since I'm using A5E now, but it's still dumb

People are going to buy this book, marketed as combining all the player options from the DM books, and be upset because they aren't the same, not even included as optional versions of them - they're all completely new

override367 on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

"Race Name
    Statblock? Up to you!
    Lore? what's that?"

Why is it better to replace the content we already have instead of reprinting it alongside the new options?

People are going to buy this book, marketed as combining all the player options from the DM book, and be upset because they aren't the same, not even included as optional versions of them - they're all completely new

If you have something that is bad in a make-believe world, just... just make it not-bad. And everybody can just wave their hands and let's move on. We don't need to keep the bad stuff, or do a slow transition away (ie keeping the bad stuff for longer), or whatever.

Just change the pretend world to not have as many IRL problems and let's go play!

Anyways. Those're my thoughts. You don't have to agree, it's just my opinion :)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited January 2022

"Race Name
    Statblock? Up to you!
    Lore? what's that?"

People are going to buy this book, marketed as combining all the player options from the DM book, and be upset because they aren't the same, not even included as optional versions of them - they're all completely new

If you have something that is bad in a make-believe world, just... just make it not-bad. And everybody can just wave their hands and let's move on. We don't need to keep the bad stuff, or do a slow transition away (ie keeping the bad stuff for longer), or whatever.

Just change the pretend world to not have as many IRL problems and let's go play!

Anyways. Those're my thoughts. You don't have to agree, it's just my opinion :)

What IRL problem is solved by Aasimar having their searing light ability's uses changed to per long rest instead of per short rest?

Okay, well for everyone who isn't being a condescending goose: This is being marketed as an "all-in-one" for players so they no longer need the other source books, and it isn't, since everything is changed or "simplified", and I think that's a bad idea

Stuff like making all the goblins fey is, hey, they're creating new stuff! Go Wizards, that's rare these days! New lore is fine, even if it is still mis-marketing the book. I don't like the "And therefore if you want to play as a goblin you have to be a fey now" part though

override367 on
  • Options
    What is even the Aasimar searing light ability? Is it a feat or something? I couldn't find it under the race in D&D beyond.

• Options
    The content is getting replaced because there's a line wide refresh coming a couple of years and they don't want to scare people off that the latest books are going to be out of date when that happens.

• Options
    edited January 2022
    The content is getting replaced because there's a line wide refresh coming a couple of years and they don't want to scare people off that the latest books are going to be out of date when that happens.

Right and I get that, but including the OG content alongside it would cost them nothing but a few pages in the character creation section and not make things thing something other than what it says it is

They know it's not a replacement for those books, hence why you have to buy those books in a bundle to get it early, but they are marketing it as a replacement for those books

override367 on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    webguy20 wrote: »
    What is even the Aasimar searing light ability? Is it a feat or something? I couldn't find it under the race in D&D beyond.

their like, explodey thing, one gets wings, one explodes, one gets necrotic wings, that thing is being changed mechanically to match the new format - a full 2 years in advance of the system-wide-refresh of those mechanics

it's a dumb decision IMO! It should live as an optional rule if they aren't going to republish the PHB for 2 friggin years

override367 on
This discussion has been closed.