As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D Discussion] 5th Edition HD Remaster Coming in 2024, Entering the Disney Vault in 2025

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Denada wrote: »
    Looks like someone's getting ready for 6th Edition.

This survey seems way too broad for that, and I haven't seen any questions yet asking what you'd like to see changed. For example, right now I'm looking at this:

fpi985gx6x3y.png

EDIT: I wonder what the intention behind this question is?

pxjo6ilg9ir0.png

Well the next question after the authors question is if you would be influenced about buying a piece of D&D content if they were attached. They are fishing to see if the folks who got negative press actually matter to the broader D&D community.

By selectively omitting Mike Mearls' name...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

This survey seems way too broad for that, and I haven't seen any questions yet asking what you'd like to see changed. For example, right now I'm looking at this:

fpi985gx6x3y.png

pxjo6ilg9ir0.png

Well the next question after the authors question is if you would be influenced about buying a piece of D&D content if they were attached. They are fishing to see if the folks who got negative press actually matter to the broader D&D community.

Oooh I was thinking of Cook. Is Mearls back working for them again?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Thanks for posting that survey. I just completed it.

Not entirely happy with moving to 6e already, but I guess its time. I mean, it took me a few years to get my group back into D&D with 5e after becoming very disillusioned with 3.5e and failing miserably to sell them on 4e. We're 100% involved now. Covid bullshit has finally pushed my core group from meeting up 2 to 4 times a year for weekend gaming benders to pretty much every two weeks online for a few hours at a time and we are LOVING it. It feels like, in my circle, 5e is the new hotness.

Alas.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Since the tweet says they want respondents who have "historically been underrepresented" I had assumed they were talking about people other than straight white cis males. Based on the content of the survey, I'm more confident the underrepresented demographic they really want is "Gen Z".

After all, 5E's genesis and 4E's end was partially due to the vocal displeasure of longtime D&D fans (probably because longtime DMs recruiting new players is how people historically got into D&D). Now they want to listen more to the new blood brought in by Critical Role and similar shows, which have been more successful in bringing people into the hobby.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I've heard of Monte Cook, but that doesn't mean him being involved in D&D again is going to make me interested in it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

fpi985gx6x3y.png

pxjo6ilg9ir0.png

Oooh I was thinking of Cook. Is Mearls back working for them again?

He never stopped, they just quietly shuffled him into the back room for a bit and removed any public facing duties. Ya see, they totally fixed the problem with him enabling abusers (by removing him from public view.)
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I've heard of Monte Cook, but that doesn't mean him being involved in D&D again is going to make me interested in it.

Exact opposite really. Monte doing the game design is a pass for me.

I'm also pretty amused at the number of novel authors on that list.

There are really only two names on there that I think are good game designers. That's really a different skill set from making good stories or even run good games.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Not entirely happy with moving to 6e already, but I guess its time. I mean, it took me a few years to get my group back into D&D with 5e after becoming very disillusioned with 3.5e and failing miserably to sell them on 4e. We're 100% involved now. Covid bullshit has finally pushed my core group from meeting up 2 to 4 times a year for weekend gaming benders to pretty much every two weeks online for a few hours at a time and we are LOVING it. It feels like, in my circle, 5e is the new hotness.

Alas.

I would bet we are at least a couple years out from a new edition. I could see them pushing a 5.5e with fully integrated online table top and stuff instead.

• Options
    edited August 2020

Questions like "When did you first start playing D&D?", "What editions have you played/continue to play?", "What are your favorite settings?", "What digital tools do you use?", "Which of these designers have you heard of/will entice you to buy a book?" all lead me to think this survey is primarily intended to see what Gen Z D&D players care about and how they're playing the game.

I'm personally curious how many respondents wrote in "Tal'Dorei", "Wildemount", or "Exandria" in the "Other" space under the favorite settings question (FYI, Tal'Dorei and Wildemount are both parts of Exandria). How many respondents listed Birthright, Greyhawk, Planescape, or Spelljammer?

There's a vocal Planescape fanbase out there, but instead of it we've gotten two Magic: The Gathering settings and the setting of Critical Role's current season. Eberron is the only D&D legacy setting to get an update other than the Forgotten Realms that 5E started with (I guess Barovia counts, too).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options

Questions like "When did you first start playing D&D?", "What editions have you played/continue to play?", "What are your favorite settings?", "What digital tools do you use?", "Which of these designers have you heard of/will entice you to buy a book?" all lead me to think this survey is primarily intended to see what Gen Z D&D players care about and how they're playing the game.

I'm personally curious how many respondents wrote in "Tal'Dorei", "Wildemount", or "Exandria" in the "Other" space under the favorite settings question (FYI, Tal'Dorei and Wildemount are both parts of Exandria). How many respondents listed Birthright, Greyhawk, Planescape, or Spelljammer?

I put Eberron, Dark Sun and Spelljammer as my favorite settings.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Alas.

I would bet we are at least a couple years out from a new edition. I could see them pushing a 5.5e with fully integrated online table top and stuff instead.

If they're surveying with an eye for design we are at least 2 years out, minimum. Really that's probably a low ball estimate with current supply chain issues.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

I did as well

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I think this is less about 6e than it is about trying to navigate the rocky covid and post covid waters, and my prediction is that this will tell them what they already know: people like D&D beyond and would love to see a proper VTT out of it

I like my fantasy grounds but the jank in both FG and Roll20 is real, and if I could just make shit in DDB (which I do anyway so I can share it on discord) and it just showed up in my VTT?

*chef's kiss*

I put forgotten realms, planescape, and ravenloft as my favorite settings

I know I'm a huge outlier online liking forgotten realms but as a DM it feels like the warm blanket of campaign settings, and because Matt Mercer's world (which is a smaller, much younger world with a very interesting set of factions and politics) wasn't an option. I always like to start campaigns in relatively understandable places with standard D&D fluff and then at level 15 we're seducing gods in space with Strahd, but he's a cyborg, as our ship's pilot

override367 on
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I put Wildemount as my favorite, followed by Planescape and Spelljammer. I don't listen to Critical Role, but the greater Exandria setting's pantheon and gods versus primordials origin makes it easy to import lore from the 4E Dawn War setting that I used to collect (for example, Wildemount's Raven Queen is effectively the 4E Raven Queen, and not the being described in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes; the two have irreconcilable origin stories).

Planescape I'm more interested in for the planes and their denizens themselves; I've never cared about Sigil or its factions. A 5E Spelljammer I could see primarily taking place in the Astral Sea, making it more similar to 4E's take on the Astral Sea.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    got dangit wildemount was on there? I somehow missed that, fuck no go back!

I wonder if WOTC can acquire rights to publish a new Tal'dorei setting guide from whoever Mercer worked with on that book

override367 on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    got dangit wildemount was on there? I somehow missed that, fuck no go back!

It wasn't, actually. I'm curious why exactly.

My personal theory is because Wildemount is just part of Critical Role's Exandria setting and they expect people will write in Exandria, Tal''Dorei, or Wildemount. Either that or they're already certain of its popularity.

Which may be a safe bet, considering an animated Critical Role series is in development for Amazon Prime.
    Critical Role initially launched a Kickstarter earlier this year for a single 22-minute episode of The Legend of Vox Machina, which will elaborate on storylines from Critical Role’s various D&D campaigns. Within forty minutes, the Kickstarter had exceeded its goal of $750,000, leading the company to extend their campaign to fund a full 10-episode series. The Kickstarter went on to raise $11,385,449 from 88,887 backers, making it the highest-funded TV, film, or animation project on Kickstarter. Amazon’s partnership with Critical Role will add an extra 14 episodes to the show, for a total of two seasons with 12 episodes each.

Source
    I wonder if WOTC can acquire rights to publish a new Tal'dorei setting guide from whoever Mercer worked with on that book

The Green Ronin Tal'Dorei book is kinda fun in that it has a few scattered 4Eisms (not counting the 4E gods + Pathfinder's Sarenrae pantheon and the world's Dawn War-like origin). There are references to residuum and a Large-sized cyclops stormcaller with art derivative of the (superior) 4E take on cyclopes.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Oh yes, I'm sure were a year or two put from a new edition as well. That still seems to soon for me. :)

I put Eberron, Dragonlance and Planescape as my faves. No so much that they're my favorite-est, but rather that I feel like 2e Planescape was an incredibly deep and flavorful setting that is criminally underrepresented and to Dragonlance I owe bigtime for getting me into this hobby in the first place. Also underrepresented and, frankly, mistreated.

Instead we get M:TG settings? Meh.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Part of the reason I'm skeptical about this signalling the end of 5E is because this edition has been very stingy in terms of introducing new PC options compared to 3.5 and 4E. Xanathar's Guide to Everything was three years ago. Since then there have been a handful of new subclasses, one new class, and a lot of Unearthed Arcana material that hasn't been published in a book yet.

I figure we'd at least be due one more book full of PC options before a hypothetical 6E.

EDIT: We at least need rules for this before 6E.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wR48a1kLx0w&app=desktop

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't think 5e is going away anytime soon, it's only been around ~6 years. Fourth edition lasted 6 years.

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Yeah I don't think 5e is going away anytime soon, it's only been around ~6 years. Fourth edition lasted 6 years.

Yeah and 4e was the best-selling D&D ever, just like 5e!

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Wizards doesn't really want a 6e is my reading of things. I don't think 6e really gets them anything and i think they know this. Part of this is learned from 3.5/4e and part of this is from paizo.

They might be working on it on the back burner* but their primary business structure has been to focus on ongoing and repeatable revenue. That is. Adventures and Con's. They sell DnD mini's instead of DnD books. The PHB is like the console that they need to get into your hands before you can buy games. But unlike consoles there is no real need to update the base hardware. The graphics on your PHB do not outdate. So doing so just costs you money. The primary seller is still going to be adventures, mini's, and events.

*If they do I expect either an advanced 5e or a 5.5 and not a true 6e.

Edit: Greyhawk is so much better than Forgotten Realms. Just had to say that

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020

4E had some stiff competition from Pathfinder at the time, though. As far as I can tell 5E has left Pathfinder 2E in the dust.

Plus the wildly popular Critical Role alone has done a ton of free advertising for D&D 5E (from what I understand Critical Role spun off from a Pathfinder home game before switching to D&D 5E for the stream; I bet Paizo hates that they missed out on the free publicity).

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options

4E had some stiff competition from Pathfinder at the time, though. As far as I can tell 5E has left Pathfinder 2E in the dust.

Pathfinder 2e only came out a few months ago?

• Options
    I think "Class Feature Variants" and "Rule Variants" are the future of 5e, not a 6th edition

• Options
    edited August 2020

It's been out over a year.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options

It's been out over a year.

Ah, shows how much I actually care about Pathfinder, I guess.

But at the same time, saying "well D&D is outperforming Pathfinder" has always been a true statement?

• Options
    I wonder what the conversion rate from Pathfinder 1 to Pathfinder 2 is. Pathfinders MASSIVE amount of splat was always one of it's biggest selling points.

I just want my D&D 5e Darksun Campaign. C'mon!

• Options
    I have plugged a lot of pathfinder 2 into 5e: a shit ton of feats, background feats, class feats, minor feats you get in addition to ASIs every few levels, and "short rest" abilities just recharge when intiative is rolled (I give monsters extra abilities too, I got a big old book of monster feats by type) and it hasn't broken 5e in any way

The only reason I don't just play pathfinder is the 40+ conditions and ballooning numbers, bounded accuracy is pretty great and 5e has enough conditions

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yes of course there will be a 5E Expansion: Xanathar's Book of Nine Essential Swords, Skills, and Powers. That way when 6E iterates on all of those concepts and people talk about it being this great new thing, people who loved the old edition can be like "Actually 5E had all that, it was just late in the edition's life cycle," and then maybe lament that WotC never made a really great VTT that worked with the system, because it was so well-suited for it.

Thus the Old Ones will be pleased and Earth will escape oblivion for another 8ish years depending on revenue projections.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    This just in I’m making 6E and it’s all purple bisexual tieflings now, the four pillars are:
    - Fashion
    - Swashbuckling
    - Wit
    - Burglary

The standard setting is Gay Hawk, which is Grey Hawk but it’s the Roaring 20’s. Cold War Eberron is up next, where you play secret agents in a Berlin Wall situation Sharn, and after that we’ll be doing Forgotten Realms again, after the Reckonspell, which changes really nothing about it.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    You know, I wonder if Wizards would actually consider trying to monopolize two ends of the RPG market at once by publishing their own PbtA-style "no crunch, just narrative and moves" game. Seems like the kind of move that could either go really really well for them, or really really bad.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yes of course there will be a 5E Expansion: Xanathar's Book of Nine Essential Swords, Skills, and Powers. That way when 6E iterates on all of those concepts and people talk about it being this great new thing, people who loved the old edition can be like "Actually 5E had all that, it was just late in the edition's life cycle," and then maybe lament that WotC never made a really great VTT that worked with the system, because it was so well-suited for it.

Thus the Old Ones will be pleased and Earth will escape oblivion for another 8ish years depending on revenue projections.

Deep fucking cut, right there

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    You know, I wonder if Wizards would actually consider trying to monopolize two ends of the RPG market at once by publishing their own PbtA-style "no crunch, just narrative and moves" game. Seems like the kind of move that could either go really really well for them, or really really bad.

I really hope not just because I like that rules light games are mostly the work of one to five folks. I like my games home grown and free.

To be honest that lack of need to get a broad audience is what gets you your Night Witches (Play female Russian pilots in WW2) and your Dreams Askew (it’s the end of the world, but it’s slow, not all at once, and you are outsiders to those clinging to society). I don’t know that they’d want a small audience.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

otoh the thread title says 100% confirmed QED

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    I wonder what the conversion rate from Pathfinder 1 to Pathfinder 2 is. Pathfinders MASSIVE amount of splat was always one of it's biggest selling points.

I'm curious as well, seeing as Pathfinder 1E was basically D&D 3.75 and Pathfinder 2E is wildly different.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd guess it's most likely in preparation for a 5.5 kind of thing, where they introduce the newly reworked character creation scheme they were working on, where stat bonuses aren't tied entirely to your character species.
    Maybe a PHB with the Artificer and all the new sub-classes together in one book?

• Options
    Yea, maybe a D&D 5e Essentials?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    5e: 13th Age of Essentials

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

BROTHER!

• Options

No. The issue was that 4e was expensive to make. Whereas 5e has like... 2 developers on permanent staff

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

BROTHER!

7b3licl7bt1n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.