As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Against Everyone’s Better Judgement The [Movie] Thread is Open

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Whaddya mean origin stories theyre a bunch of fuckin wild animals is the movie going to be about lightning hitting slime five billion years ago

actually The Lion King is based on a radiopanspermian model

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I think my least favourite thing about some of the post-T2 terminator movies is that the Terminators will actually catch the people they've been sent to kill, but instead of crushing their neck to a pulp they'll just kind of... toss them across the room. Over and over again. God knows why the directors think it's a cool thing to have them do, it takes any sense of threat and pisses it up the wall.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh no

What trenchant political message does Sacha Baron Cohen think he has?

MY W- please stop throwing metal objects at my head

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So whats jingle jangle like meth kind of sounds like meth

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    So whats jingle jangle like meth kind of sounds like meth

it's basically meth yeah

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    I think my least favourite thing about some of the post-T2 terminator movies is that the Terminators will actually catch the people they've been sent to kill, but instead of crushing their neck to a pulp they'll just kind of... toss them across the room. Over and over again. God knows why the directors think it's a cool thing to have them do, it takes any sense of threat and pisses it up the wall.
    Hooray for PG-13.

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Hooray for PG-13.
    Eh... I'm not sure you can lay this at PG-13 - you can easily have them snapping necks, crushing trachea, or even tearing someone's heart out (viewed from the rear or neck up) and none of that should push you to an R rating as long as the audience doesn't see blood.

The only thing that's stopping Terminators from being 1-hit killing machines is the directors' desires for a fight sequence.

• Options
    Lots of superstrong villains really enjoy throwing attacks which is tactically strange as it puts the target out of range of further attacks

I suppose I'm not strong or villainous enough to throw even a very small person across a room maybe it's really fun

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

This happens in so many movies it’s practically a trope

Also being thrown across a room into the wall and the hero just grunts in agony and then gets up, instead of being instantly paralysed

The one thing I really disliked about dark fate is the terminator jumping around like a cgi spider. While it makes sense from a tactical perspective that a robot Assassin would be able to do this, it looks incredibly stupid. It always looks stupid when humans are made to do cgi jumping. No matter how decent a job the cg artists do on it, the human brain just instantly recognises it as wrong and goofy looking

Prohass on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Also being thrown across a room into the wall and the hero just grunts in agony and then gets up, instead of being instantly paralysed

The one thing I really disliked about dark fate is the terminator jumping around like a cgi spider. While it makes sense from a tactical perspective that a robot Assassin would be able to do this, it looks incredibly stupid. It always looks stupid when humans are made to do cgi jumping. No matter how decent a job the cg artists do on it, the human brain just instantly recognises it as wrong and goofy looking

T3 might have it the worst when Arnold has been reprogrammed to kill John and he keeps throwing him into car hoods and near miss punching him instead of grabbing him one time and then doing one of those "Food being gripped firmly" Youtube videos.

• Options
    I suppose Ive fantasised about heaving certain people into dumpsters with huge two handed donkey kong barrel throws maybe to the superstrong villain anyone they throw anywhere is like throwing a cop into a dumpster for a normal person

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’s an ok trope to convey a villain losing their cool or wanting to hurt or toy or express frustration. But it doesn’t really work when the villain is supposed to be laser focused on killing the hero

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    In contrast, the de-fleshed T800 at the end of the original Terminator is absolute nightmare fuel. You definitely aren't getting back any part of your body that that thing gets ahold of.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    In contrast, the de-fleshed T800 at the end of the original Terminator is absolute nightmare fuel. You definitely aren't getting back any part of your body that that thing gets ahold of.

And with the t1000 they establish how dangerous it is if it even gets close to John. They're ruthless machines.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    And terminator has that music what goes BADUM BADUM BADUM ting
    So you know they don't fuck around

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    And terminator has that music what goes BADUM BADUM BADUM ting
    So you know they don't fuck around

Who wants to see young Arnie's finely tuned glutes?

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

T3 might have it the worst when Arnold has been reprogrammed to kill John and he keeps throwing him into car hoods and near miss punching him instead of grabbing him one time and then doing one of those "Food being gripped firmly" Youtube videos.
    From my (admittedly fairly vague) memory of that scene, the Arniemator I can give kind of a pass to because it's "struggling to regain control" - so I could kinda see that when the subroutine throws up the possible tactical options (like in T1 when it throws up the range of responses when asked a question) and it picks the option least likely to succeed.

The problem is John Connor isn't making an attempt to actively defend himself and is doing the "What are you doing? It's ME! Fight it!" routine, so even the worst tactical option should still result in a corpse in a few seconds.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Big, strong bad guys throw the good guy around because otherwise it would be a 5 second fight with the bad guy crushing the good guy.

Movie over.

• Options
    Blade Runner 2049 has pretty good robot violence, a casual straight right from a robot is enough to bash your skull into your brains

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Because I know there is no way I’m going to watch a movie a day in October I’ve decided that my list is just the next 31 movies I’m going to watch.

So I just had to buy Shocker on Amazon

Fortunately it was only $4

• Options
    God, I love this stupid movie.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Blade Runner 2049 has pretty good robot violence, a casual straight right from a robot is enough to bash your skull into your brains

Replicants aren't robots.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Replicants are absolutely robots

They’re just also people

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Coming from you, I'm not sure whether you're insulted on behalf of replicants or robots.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Let us define robot

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

/Takes glasses off and rubs bridge of nose

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Let us define robot

I would define a robot as a slave

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Isn't Jingle Jangle the Riverdale drug

Sure is!!!

i really don't vibe with riverdale but jingle jangle is one of the best fake drug names a show has ever come up with.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Well that was easy replicants is robots

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Replicants don't seem to be mechanical is the distinction I would make

They seem biologically engineered and grown

• Options
    What is the human body but an elaborate mechanism

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    ridley scott robots are bags of milk made of skin

but robots all the same

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    What are we but rotting meat wrapped around a length of sewer pipe

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Replicants don't seem to be mechanical is the distinction I would make

They seem biologically engineered and grown

Rossum's were the same way, to be fair

• Options
    frankensteins are robots

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    frankensteins are robots

Book Frankenstein is for sure.

I'm less certain about a Frank made of repurposed body parts, but I can't come up with a distinct reason for that.

• Options
  • Options
    That?

That's how we're all gonna die buddy

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

/Takes glasses off and rubs bridge of nose

I mean, if you mean "robot" in the sense of the etymological root of the word, being derived from the Czech robota meaning literally "labor" or "work" and used conversationally to refer more specifically to hard labor or monotonous tasks, then yes, I suppose they are "robots" being created to perform tasks considered distasteful or less than what a "human" should do, I suppose you're correct.

But in the sense of the word as it's commonly used to talk about something mechanical, or something that does not possess a self, an ego/soul/what-have-you... no, the films are pretty clear about that.

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.