As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Ah yes, "sequels". We have dismissed this claim. Tag spoilers for newbies!

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Of note is that BioWare explicitly brought back some of the devs of the original Mass Effect game to assist with bringing the technology forward to the remaster (as well as the distant future sequel), which is an encouraging sign

They'd have to. Even without the usual issues of bad documentation and spaghetti code, they've been 100% Frostbite focused for the past umpteen years.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Of note is that BioWare explicitly brought back some of the devs of the original Mass Effect game to assist with bringing the technology forward to the remaster (as well as the distant future sequel), which is an encouraging sign

Yeah, I think this is going to be OK (but I'm not preordering).

But it wouldn't be the first or last time a major company fucks up a slam dunk.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Preordering is for plebs. I'm excited for the game too, but I'm entirely prepared for this to be a big pump and dump. I'll end up waiting for sale prices anyway, once the inevitable bugs are patched.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'll probably get it close to launch as soon as it's confirmed there aren't any outstanding bugbears, but it isn't a day one must buy for me for a number of reasons I've spoken about before. I played most of my Mass Effect experience on PC, the platform for which the trilogy has never had any problems being accessible to, and for which the visual quality has mostly been quite excellent. I also have a personal bugbear in regards to the way BioWare seem to have basically given up on all their more experimental ventures in favour of rehashing the safe and familiar under the pressure of both EA and what the wider majority of the gaming community seem to expect of them. I hope to be proven wrong by the upcoming Dragon Age and Mass Effect but to be honest, it's hard for me personally not to feel a tiny bit dispirited by the break-glass-in-case-of-emergency image that they've given off.

I understand I'm probably in the minority here as they wouldn't take this attitude if they didn't have the financials and analytics to show for it, and it's not like I'm immune to the excitement for one of my favorite media franchises all the time, but I grew fond of Mass Effect the most out of all the BioWare games because back in the day they explicitly set out to produce their own original IP outside the properties they had been pigeonholed into, like Star Wars and Forgotten Realms. I know that doesn't always translate into something financially feasible but it would be nice to see them actually nurture their red-headed stepchildren instead of throwing them to the wayside.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    It's not a day one purchase for me because I still have the originals and the means to play them. But yeah I'll probably pick it up once it's on a big sale.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Bioware games used to be an automatic preorder for me. This is no longer the case, even for the remaster. I’ll wait for impressions first.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I've gotten pretty much everything I've wanted out of the trilogy, so while new Achievements are nice, I'm also going to wait until the whole thing is on a big sale.

That said, I have EA Play through Gamepass, so I'll probably end up playing it at some point before then.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Not only has this been in my Steam account since there was a working buy button on the Steam store page, but I scheduled May 14th and the next week off work for it.

All glory to the hype machine! Preorders ftw! :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I still own all the original games so I really don't have to buy them but I like when things are tweaked and I don't have much else to play rn.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    i am day one, for a couple reasons; my xbox 360, game copies and saves are scattered to the four winds by now and while i don't mind the first games er foibles that much, a more improved version feels like a better experience for a full trilogy playthrough. one launcher, and a unified character creator and all DLC are big enough QoL improvements for replaying the trilogy as opposed to just playing on XBL or Origin.

i also do want to support the series going forward and i suspect that this package's success will be looked at as a bellwether for how much support EA will give BioWare. now, if it is a dumpster fire and i hear about it beforehand then yeah I'll cancel my pre-order, but if it looks like it lives up to what they promise then i will support it gladly.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I think the whole pre-order discussion is silly cause I mean...as a consumer it really doesn't matter.

It's more a concern for businesses who want their numbers to look nice.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    I still get a sense of satisfaction when preordering, especially if there’s some bullshit bonus. I think it does really help smaller devs working under smaller budgets, but probably only justifies execs getting a bonus for EA studios.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Have they said if they will put an original picture of Tali in Shepard's cabin or will it still be the ripped off image? Because that was high level lols.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Have they said if they will put an original picture of Tali in Shepard's cabin or will it still be the ripped off image? Because that was high level lols.

AFAIK it's the same one. I'd be amazed if they changed it (at least, other than to make it higher res).

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    WTF Steam. "Preorder ME: Legendary with ME3 and spend more money to get a version of the game you will literally never use!" :rotate:

There are no preorder bonuses, right? Nothing that's going to not be available if you buy it a bit down the road instead of preorder?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited April 2021
    WTF Steam. "Preorder ME: Legendary with ME3 and spend more money to get a version of the game you will literally never use!" :rotate:
    Yeah, that could have been handled more elegantly!
    There are no preorder bonuses, right? Nothing that's going to not be available if you buy it a bit down the road instead of preorder?
    Not that I've seen, nope.

Edit: Now I think about it, someone had a steelbook for physical pre-orders. Best Buy maybe?

Jazz on
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

AFAIK it's the same one. I'd be amazed if they changed it (at least, other than to make it higher res).

Not commissioning an artist to create such an important image as an ORIGINAL composition might be one of the more embarrassing own goals in ME3, which is saying a lot in THAT game.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    DHS wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »
    Neither Andromeda nor Anthem shipped in very good condition, and despite this being a re-release I'd totally expect some form of shenanigans.

I mean you do you for sure but this makes no sense to me.

they would have to PROFOUNDLY fuck up to take three mostly stable games and put out a game as buggy as Andromeda. which is possible i guess, but doesn't seem likely based on how transparent they are being on the development and what their goals are.

WCIII remastered says hi.

I was wondering for awhile when the hell they remastered Wing Commander III, so I could get my Mark Hamill on, then realized you meant the wet fart that Blizz put out last year.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Neither Andromeda nor Anthem shipped in very good condition, and despite this being a re-release I'd totally expect some form of shenanigans.

they would have to PROFOUNDLY fuck up to take three mostly stable games and put out a game as buggy as Andromeda. which is possible i guess, but doesn't seem likely based on how transparent they are being on the development and what their goals are.

I was wondering for awhile when the hell they remastered Wing Commander III, so I could get my Mark Hamill on, then realized you meant the wet fart that Blizz put out last year.

That would be a kick-ass remaster.

If the video footage exists in passable quality any more... .even for the time the video compression was dreadful.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

That would be a kick-ass remaster.

If the video footage exists in passable quality any more... .even for the time the video compression was dreadful.

The costumes and props were obviously dreadful even through the shitty compression. Upping the resolution does nobody any favors.

Best to just up the resolution of the flight sim part and call it a day.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm not pre-ordering it, but I will day one it if there aren't any major issues with the launch. Mass Effect is an important series to me, personally. Living the story along with Shepard happened at some formative phases in my adult life. They are like a movie or song that brings back a memory. If they don't flub the launch they'll get my dollars on day one.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Going to wait for reviews to make sure it isn't a glitchy mess before plopping down my spacebux.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular

Not commissioning an artist to create such an important image as an ORIGINAL composition might be one of the more embarrassing own goals in ME3, which is saying a lot in THAT game.

It's definitely the strangest choice in the franchise. If they were going to be that lazy about it, why bother at all?

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I’m itching to play trilogy together on my PS5, they already have my money. I make no apologies on this front.

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I’m itching to play trilogy together on my PS5, they already have my money. I make no apologies on this front.

Same here, but on Series X.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I'm not pre-ordering it, but I will day one it if there aren't any major issues with the launch. Mass Effect is an important series to me, personally. Living the story along with Shepard happened at some formative phases in my adult life. They are like a movie or song that brings back a memory.

Also, quads.

htm on
  • Options
    htm wrote: »
    I'm not pre-ordering it, but I will day one it if there aren't any major issues with the launch. Mass Effect is an important series to me, personally. Living the story along with Shepard happened at some formative phases in my adult life. They are like a movie or song that brings back a memory.

Also, quads.

Clawhammer

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »

It's definitely the strangest choice in the franchise. If they were going to be that lazy about it, why bother at all?

Like many things in ME3, I'm sure it was with the best of intentions (we want to give you some closure after having danced around showing her face for the whole trilogy!). And then they probably had no time/budget to do something and cobbled it together.

Oh well.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Spiders Tali still best Tali. Even if I ever end up romancing her.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular

Also, quads.

Clawhammer

I've seen that comic
    u48vpwq93225.png
    Source has some nsfw stuff elsewhere on the site, just a heads up:
    There was also a funny comic by a different artist about femshep tripping balls after making out with Thane, but I'm not sure if it's forum appropriate. It's pretty easy to search and find it.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Also, quads.

Clawhammer

Listen I've been more or less forbidden from posting Slug genitals on this forum ever again, so the least you can do is have the decency not to bring up the clawhammer.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I fired up ME3 multiplayer for the first time in who knows how long. Xbox 360 version, on a One X, on a 4K TV so visually it does show its age since it has no upscaling.

It's still awesome! I still suck at it scoreboard wise! (Bronze, yet I'm always at the bottom.) Yes, I may have been rusty but it all came back pretty quickly. Only played as quarian infiltrator (shocking, right), but damn if it's not still fun. And I had no trouble finding a game, matching was virtually instant. And the Widow still kicks ass.

I hope that, if the remaster is a hit, they might consider remastering the multi separately. Either as an add-on to Legendary Edition or even as a separate release. I appreciate that it's a lot of work, and doesn't help answer the split-the-playerbase question or anything else, but it would be cool to see it given a bit of prettying up.

Either that or update the 360 version with One X upscaling. I could live with that!

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

Also, quads.

Clawhammer
    Slug genitals

I have that issue of Fornax.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I regret to say that the 2012 issue of Fornax is no longer available since soup.io is dead :(

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    I regret to say that the 2012 issue of Fornax is no longer available since soup.io is dead :(

Truly the end of an era. Till next cycle.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'm in a weird position where I feel like I pretty much got all my enjoyment out of the original games so I don't really need a remaster? Those first two especially I just played the hell out of and did absolutely everything in (to the point in ME1 where I started to try and save scripted death NPCs :P Interesting fact, the random lady that gets shot down in Feros can be saved and she just kind of stands there at the bottom of the stairs not knowing what to do :D)

Also I still don't forgive them for ruining ME3's ending. I never did play through the "fixed" ending, which, I'm sorry, I don't care what they did, they can't fix how terrible that ending was.
    Also I heard they made Shepard not dead in the new ending, which, seriously? That was like the only part of the ending I didn't have a problem with... -_-
    I don't even know how they're going to possibly resolve the colored lights crap in the new one...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I'm in a weird position where I feel like I pretty much got all my enjoyment out of the original games so I don't really need a remaster? Those first two especially I just played the hell out of and did absolutely everything in (to the point in ME1 where I started to try and save scripted death NPCs :P Interesting fact, the random lady that gets shot down in Feros can be saved and she just kind of stands there at the bottom of the stairs not knowing what to do :D)

Also I still don't forgive them for ruining ME3's ending. I never did play through the "fixed" ending, which, I'm sorry, I don't care what they did, they can't fix how terrible that ending was.
    Also I heard they made Shepard not dead in the new ending, which, seriously? That was like the only part of the ending I didn't have a problem with... -_-
    I don't even know how they're going to possibly resolve the colored lights crap in the new one...

Regarding the ending.
    Shepard lives in the Red ending in both vanilla and Extended Cut versions.

The Extended Cut adds some emotional closure and walks back some unintended bleak implications of the original ending (e.g. the relays don't actually explode and wipe out every adjacent star system including Earth). But it's still a bad ending.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I've seen that comic
    u48vpwq93225.png

Oh, are we posting ME comics now?

QEB18qq.jpg
    egTQTxi.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Arteen wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Regarding the ending.
    Shepard lives in the Red ending in both vanilla and Extended Cut versions.

The Extended Cut adds some emotional closure and walks back some unintended bleak implications of the original ending (e.g. the relays don't actually explode and wipe out every adjacent star system including Earth). But it's still a bad ending.

ME3 Ending:
    IIRC Shepard still only survives the Red ending if it's close to as "good" a Red ending as you can possibly get (in terms of stuff done, war assets etc and all that). They can still die in that option.

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.