As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I'm definitely excited for Rise, I liked how it's somewhat a mix between World and GU and I'm looking forward to the new monsters, locales and getting good with the wirebug arts.

But, the PC port rumor really has me wondering if I should wait it out, as the game really seems to be struggling to keep up at 30fps. Hoping that maybe the final release has performance improvements.

I think if there is going to be a PC port, it's going to be such a significant visual upgrade that you could easily just have both, because they ain't putting Rise on a PC with Switch graphics.

That being said, I think since Rise was in development for so long that it's even likely that whatever "pc port" was supposed to come out eventually just morphed into MHW and there is no actual PC port coming out.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think the PC playerbase is used to playing new games with any type of graphics, so they'd only port it with higher res textures and 60fps.

Well at least I'd like to think that... It's the only thing that makes me think why they wouldn't port it to other consoles.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think the PC playerbase is used to playing new games with any type of graphics, so they'd only port it with higher res textures and 60fps.

Well at least I'd like to think that... It's the only thing that makes me think why they wouldn't port it to other consoles.

I always thought the portable MH's stayed on portables?

• Options
    Yeah... I'm only basing myself off the leak that somewhat mentions it, but doesn't confirm it.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm the only person who thinks the Monster Hunter demos are mostly fine. The 3U demo kicked my ass so hard that it sold me on the game out of pure spite. But then I do tend to have a weirdly positive reaction to hopelessly obtuse games.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'm definitely excited for Rise, I liked how it's somewhat a mix between World and GU and I'm looking forward to the new monsters, locales and getting good with the wirebug arts.

But, the PC port rumor really has me wondering if I should wait it out, as the game really seems to be struggling to keep up at 30fps. Hoping that maybe the final release has performance improvements.

I think if there is going to be a PC port, it's going to be such a significant visual upgrade that you could easily just have both, because they ain't putting Rise on a PC with Switch graphics.

That being said, I think since Rise was in development for so long that it's even likely that whatever "pc port" was supposed to come out eventually just morphed into MHW and there is no actual PC port coming out.

World did not morph from rise. Rise is built on a game engine of a significantly newer lineage.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    If memory serves: everything up until World runs on MT Framework, Rise runs on RE Engine.

Which is extra rad because it means not only should it be easy to port Rise to other platforms but RE Engine has now been ported to Switch.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

World did not morph from rise. Rise is built on a game engine of a significantly newer lineage.

New engine, carries forward many of the changes of World, tries some new things. The engine change is probably the biggest jump though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021

I can list the game engine each title was developed on top of:
    - Monster Hunter v1 (no official name): MH, MHG, Freedom, Freedom 2, Freedom Unite, Portable 3rd
    - Monster Hunter v2 (no official name): MH2, Frontier
    - MT Framework Lite: MH3
    - MT Framework Mobile: 3U, MH4, 4U, Generations
    - MT Framework 2: GU, World
    - CriEngine: Monster Hunter Online
    - RE Engine: Rise

Notes:
    - The PSP game engines all being MH1-derived has been confirmed by data miners and modders.
    - The MHv2 engine couldn't be ported to PSP because available RAM was 21% smaller due to the PSP's XMB OS. MHv2 used all of the PS2's available RAM.
    - A Capcom investor relations developer interview promoting World was explicit about the engine for all titles from Tri onward. The engine has also been boastfully listed on the rear box art since 3U.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    IceBurner wrote: »

- Monster Hunter v1 (no official name): MH, MHG, Freedom, Freedom 2, Freedom Unite, Portable 3rd
    - CryEngine: Monster Hunter Online

Notes:
    - The PSP game engines all being MH1-derived has been confirmed by data miners and modders.
    - The MHv2 engine couldn't be ported to PSP because available RAM was 21% smaller due to the PSP's XMB OS. MHv2 used all of the PS2's available RAM.
    - A Capcom investor relations developer interview promoting World was explicit about the engine for all titles from Tri onward. The engine has also been boastfully listed on the rear box art since 3U.

Yup, that was my point. Because World is using an older engine, it seems very unlikely that it forked from the Rise project.

• Options
    IceBurner wrote: »

- CryEngine: Monster Hunter Online

Notes:

Yup, that was my point. Because World is using an older engine, it seems very unlikely that it forked from the Rise project.

I was under the impression development started on Rise before World, but it was actually before World released, so that's my bad info right there.

I still don't see them porting it to PC.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I think what likely happened is the monster modeling/skeleton/AI asset work to get things up to snuff that they did for World was pipelined back into Rise. Rathian is absolutely like it's World version.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I think what likely happened is the monster modeling/skeleton/AI asset work to get things up to snuff that they did for World was pipelined back into Rise. Rathian is absolutely like it's World version.

IIRC they said they started developing them at the same time explicitly so they could share work like that.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

IIRC they said they started developing them at the same time explicitly so they could share work like that.

it wasn't exactly the same time but it was close, world started before rise but there was overlap. rise started 2016 afaik

• Options
    Basically, I feel safe in saying that if you're interested in Rise, I wouldn't hold your breath for a version that Capcom hasn't even announced.

• Options
    With companies now exploiting FOMO, I wouldn't put it past them to announce it until the initial hype has died down. I already double dipped on World!

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    And this is probably the best demo they've done for the series, too.

I liked the demo for world, but only because it sold me on the big open zones.

Straight up the only reason why I like World, at least I suspect this is why, is that the maps are large and complex so it feels like a large world area. The only thing that would make it better for me is being able to transition to new areas (Ancient Forest to Wildspire, for example) through some sort of transition screen area other than "back to base, out to another area".

But then, my ideal Monster Hunter session would be roaming the world from area to area for 4+ hours just killing monsters and delivering their pieces to a box or something and not hitting the home base once in that 4+ hours. Just crafting to keep the potions up, dumping what I wouldn't need in a box to be sent back to base without me, and continuing on hunting.

Then at the end of that entire session finally going back and forging all new stuff and checking in at base.

I'd also love it if I could take multiple quests to kill multiple things at once because it seems fairly inefficient to go kill just one thing targeted at a time.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Straight up the only reason why I like World, at least I suspect this is why, is that the maps are large and complex so it feels like a large world area. The only thing that would make it better for me is being able to transition to new areas (Ancient Forest to Wildspire, for example) through some sort of transition screen area other than "back to base, out to another area".

But then, my ideal Monster Hunter session would be roaming the world from area to area for 4+ hours just killing monsters and delivering their pieces to a box or something and not hitting the home base once in that 4+ hours. Just crafting to keep the potions up, dumping what I wouldn't need in a box to be sent back to base without me, and continuing on hunting.

Then at the end of that entire session finally going back and forging all new stuff and checking in at base.

I'd also love it if I could take multiple quests to kill multiple things at once because it seems fairly inefficient to go kill just one thing targeted at a time.

Yeah this sounds rad. I think having monsters capable of attrition battles is something MHW was missing: Since you could fully load out the tent with all of your everything, the only challenge that could be done was OHK or THK attacks.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    With companies now exploiting FOMO, I wouldn't put it past them to announce it until the initial hype has died down. I already double dipped on World!

Only double dipped? Scrub. Triple-dip club represent!

:biggrin:

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

That's basically what the guiding lands was, and basically the same in other games as well with the movie forest in 3, and whatever it was called in 4. I think the biggest thing holding back those modes as being what everyone does is that lower tier monsters you find more often in those modes are just a waste of time. That's a problem in general with the game, but if they made parts from all monsters important and not just elders, rajang, and jho more people would fight more enemies.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    That's basically what the guiding lands was, and basically the same in other games as well with the movie forest in 3, and whatever it was called in 4. I think the biggest thing holding back those modes as being what everyone does is that lower tier monsters you find more often in those modes are just a waste of time. That's a problem in general with the game, but if they made parts from all monsters important and not just elders, rajang, and jho more people would fight more enemies.

Yeah, I think that's one of my big issues is that eventually, the monster parts of lower monsters become pointless, so either you have to exclude some from the spawns eventually, or just assume some monsters are junk (which is clearly unideal).

But considering crafting is already complex enough (consumables, specifically) and weapon and armor forging use parts to make or upgrade along a path, but not to exactly upgrade laterally (like, you don't just use Great Jagras stuff to keep making a weapon or armor stronger, it either changes the weapon into something new or the armor is just bumped up with orb-things), I'm not sure what they could do to make lesser monsters and their parts more attractive or desireable with the basic crafting systems in at least world as-is. I mean, there could be potential in trading them in for things, like you can trade them in at the canteen for consumables (through the fire roasting mechanic), but I'm not sure what else could be done to make lower tier monsters and their parts interesting or viable in the current game ecosystem.

Though one cool thing with limited potential would be for small-scale trophies created using their parts; like, get some claws, hide, scales, etc, and this sculptor can make a model, a miniature of the monster to go in your home spot? Like, if there's decorative options for the items from monsters I haven't found them yet, but it would be an interesting option. They can, obviously, be sold for money, but that's assuming you even want to cart low-level monster bits around for anything if they don't exactly give a good return on investment.

It's an interesting quandry to be sure, how in an open-explore mode in a game with these systems do you make even the first monsters still worth taking on.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    They kind of did that with Augmentations. I killed a lot of Tzi-tzis to farm for Element Up.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Man trying to get back into this after like a year or so away is unbelievably confusing, and I was never any good when I first played it. I beat the game and did some stuff last time I left it, I installed iceborne but can’t really figure out how to get to it. Tried some quest where you have to knock a monster over to drop your trainer chick off his back, and man that thing killed me so hard, I’m hoping it was a hard monster and it’s not that my character is bad or something

But yeah so many weird buttons and things I’ve forgotten about

Prohass on
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Man trying to get back into this after like a year or so away is unbelievably confusing, and I was never any good when I first played it. I beat the game and did some stuff last time I left it, I installed iceborne but can’t really figure out how to get to it. Tried some quest where you have to knock a monster over to drop your trainer chick off his back, and man that thing killed me so hard, I’m hoping it was a hard monster and it’s not that my character is bad or something

But yeah so many weird buttons and things I’ve forgotten about

Deviljho is pretty hard if you're just getting back into things, so don't sweat it there! Especially if your gear isn't maxed out or anything. His saliva also applies a defense down debuff, so that makes it hit extra hard, and it's breath attacks apply dragonblight which blocks your weapon from applying element/status.

If you've already beat the original story of high rank, then there should be an NPC prompt in Astera to start the Master Rank/Iceborne stuff.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Iirc if you look on the map the quest icon for iceborn stuff is purple. Try looking for that one.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Got MHW in the Steam Sale. At the moment just taking my sweet time soloing through the main quest stuff.

If taking the time to craft every type of armor and most weapons even though the defender set already makes all the stuff I can make so far most obsolete is the wrong way to play, I don't want to play right.

Also, I'm guessing 30 phials in every quest supply package comes from a time when they were used to make potions? Doesn't seem like it would make sense if it was all for Bow coatings.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Iirc if you look on the map the quest icon for iceborn stuff is purple. Try looking for that one.

@Prohass

There's a quest by the front gate in Astera given by a trio of people led by the spikey haired commander (I think). The quest is to investigate a Legiana sighting in an unusual location. That's the intro to Iceborne quest, and it has to be given by the NPC.

EDIT - also, if you need/want hunting support, feel free to @ PM or @ me on Discord. It's been a while since I last played, but I'm (usually) always down for more Monster Hunter.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I liked the upgrade system in GU, parts would have a point value assigned to them so it made it feel like "junk" parts had more value to them. A mix of that with World's Elder Melder for parts would be a good direction for making lower tier materials feel less like a waste.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Also, I'm guessing 30 phials in every quest supply package comes from a time when they were used to make potions? Doesn't seem like it would make sense if it was all for Bow coatings.

No, phials have only ever been used for bow coatings. The big difference is that in the old games the supply box was only stocked at the beginning of a quest in low rank. The extra ammo stuff is there to help newbies rather than being something you're expected to need.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »

No, phials have only ever been used for bow coatings. The big difference is that in the old games the supply box was only stocked at the beginning of a quest in low rank. The extra ammo stuff is there to help newbies rather than being something you're expected to need.

And then in comes World where to make the Rank 3 ammo, the Rank 1 ammo is used as the main crafting material. Which made it so I never had to worry about picking up Rank 1 ammo ever again since I had 9999 of the stuff by the time I got around to trying out the bowguns.

• Options
    Ok my hunter rank is 14 so I think the reason I can’t find the expansion quest is cos you only get it when 16? What ranks up your hunter rank?

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Wait...HR14? Are you sure you finished the main storyline?

EDIT - that is say, the last base story hunt should be at HR16

Erlkönig on
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Wait...HR14? Are you sure you finished the main storyline?

EDIT - that is say, the last base story hunt should be at HR16

Hmm I dunno, I was pretty sure I did, but maybe not, what category in the mission board are the main stories under?

• Options
    Looks like at HR14, you have to talk to the 3 team leaders (2 in Astera, 1 in the Research Base).

Also, I was wrong, the final hunt has a HR requirement of 15.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Looks like at HR14, you have to talk to the 3 team leaders (2 in Astera, 1 in the Research Base).

Also, I was wrong, the final hunt has a HR requirement of 15.

Hmm, I think I have something called investigate the 3 elder dragon tracks? That might be it. I thought I had beaten the game for some reason, ah well more content to play

Ok managed to beat that Vaal hazak cool zombie dragon thing. And by beat I mean hide out of the way while two other guys beat it

Prohass on
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I'm helping out a friend that I gifted Iceborne to, but he's pretty early on in the base game. Hoping to get him caught up so we can then join another friend who's early in the Iceborne campaign. Decided while I do this I'll revisit great sword, but if that isn't jiving I'll either hit up hammer or maybe try to learn lance.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    I’m using the dual blades, I’m hunter level 14, any recommended armours or weapons and what to grind to get them? I’m kind of clueless as to whether I’m underpowered or just bad

• Options
    I mean...unless you want to min/max stuff, there's no real 'recommended' stuff. Like, you're going to have a thing coming up where you don't want to use fire. There's another thing where you do want fire. So, I guess what I'm saying is, just make at least one of every element for weapons.

Oh, and do yourself a massive favor: either stock up on nulberries or farm up Effluvial Resistance and/or Effluvia Master armor.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I think it’s just a lot of the systems are a bit overwhelming. I kind of have my armour, I upgrade it in the upgrade tree, and I use nullberries when I notice I’ve been impacted, tho sometimes I won’t realise my health has been cut in half. But outside of that I’m kind of lost. I don’t think I even realised weapons had elements, that’s how “out of my element hehe” I am.

I think I just need to also get better at getting out of the way of shit

Also I’m sure this is obvious but what’s farming up a resistance? I’m away from my console otherwise I’d experiment and try to find out myself. Is that a specific item that casts resistance or something you can add to armour or your character?

Sorry if this is a bit like asking how to play the game rather than just playing it and finding out

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    There are three different things you can do to farm up resistances:

1) Repeatedly run investigations/event hunts to get decorations (there are some event hunts that give a bonus to decoration drops). If you don't get the resistance decoration you're after, keep running the hunts (for elemental resistances, you can use the melder to sacrifice unwanted/extra decorations for specific elemental resistance decorations);

2) Craft the specific armor piece(s) that have the resistance you're after (which, in this case, is Effluvial Resistance);

or 3) Craft the resistance specific charm and upgrade it to the sufficient rank to fill in what you don't readily have available.

Erlkönig on