As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I found free meal/speed eating (Tigrex armor) insanely useful in mid-HR/MR.
    i just straight up used full 5pc kulve on fatalis

speed eating, free meal, guts, 20 fire res out of the box

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I've started poking around in the Rise demo. My attempt to improve with Gunlance would have gone a lot better if I didn't press the wrong shoulder button literally every single time I tried to use either for anything. At least I still remember roughly how to swing a Switch Axe.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Gunlance is a counter machine with that wirebug art counter.

Also could be just unlucky, but staking monsters feels a little harder? Could be my imagination. I saw from GaijinHunter that there's a way to do a stake off of the bottom-top vertical sweep for a high angle, I wonder if there's a way to get a more horizontal stake, because I keep just whiffing above mizutsune's hitbox when it's vulnerable and flailing on the ground, lol.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

Also could be just unlucky, but staking monsters feels a little harder? Could be my imagination. I saw from GaijinHunter that there's a way to do a stake off of the bottom-top vertical sweep for a high angle, I wonder if there's a way to get a more horizontal stake, because I keep just whiffing above mizutsune's hitbox when it's vulnerable and flailing on the ground, lol.

Yup, same experience for me, had a lot of trouble getting stakes in.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I always felt the stake just takes so long for what little it gives you. I just like to do the whole combo again instead.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

Charge shot into back-A is the fastest stake you can do, but I forget if the angle is lower than the traditional sweep combo one.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    I keep seeing MH is going to be the first game that uses nintendo's new online stuff. Hopefully the lobby system isn't as arcane as every other MH. It would be a shame to fumble there when everything else seems so good.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I had a great GL run earlier.

Very excited to run that some in the proper game.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I noticed something in Rise can't unsee now:

All the areas are now two-tone canyons. In spite of the initially-impressive fidelity, the areas are bland and effectively colorless.

What happened to the diverse biomes? What happened to the colors? Why is the sky featureless and mostly up out of sight? Where are the vistas to look out on?

Whatever the technical or other reasons for this aesthetic, if the area design was going to suffer this much, the trade wasn't worth it. Better to keep segmented rooms and copy the River City Girls transition prompt that requires holding the prompted button for ~2-3 seconds.

To me, this is a case of HiDef for its own sake, where somewhere along the way they forgot to make it worth looking at.

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Rise is 100% about the monsters, which is why they're such high fidelity models.

Yeah environmental design is a backdrop to doing wirebug stabby stab.

This is a sequel to Generations, or a continuation in the mobile series, and those have always had simple environments like Rise does. I'd even say Rise's open map looks better at all times to Generations tiny rooms.

Additionally, I'd rather not have loading screens in a zone at all.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    While I disagree pretty hard, I do understand that what I loved about Monster Hunter did not make it popular or a commercial success. It's no less saddening to me. It did not have to turn out this way.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    IceBurner wrote: »
    While I disagree pretty hard, I do understand that what I loved about Monster Hunter did not make it popular or a commercial success. It's no less saddening to me. It did not have to turn out this way.

Loading times made it great?

I've seen some of the old systems and I am disappointed World didn't have them, but loading times, bad controls, and horrible quality of life are things I'm glad got ditched.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    We've only seen like...two levels?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I hope y'all have a lot of fun in Rise! I'll probably be skipping it due to limited time to invest. Also afraid that I won't like it as much because it isn't Iceborne. XD

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    IceBurner hasnt liked a MH since like. Generations or 3u

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I think the levels look fine. I mean i played 3u on my 3ds and it was fine. I actually think the increased resolution and stuff in world was just distracting once everything looks like a gray/brown smear. In the demo it was pretty easy to make out everything. The only thing that was a bit noisy was the raptor boss with all of his friends, 4 players, and all their pets. But as soon as the monsters get bigger the pets are unconscious most of the time so that matters less.

It's also really hard to gauge whether you will like a given MH game. I loved 3u but lots of people didn't because of the water stuff. But i didnt mind the water, and it had voice chat on the wiiu. 4 had some real ups and downs. It had monsters i liked, but i HATED apex bullshit and having to hit them out of it within the buff time. Then the weird leveled quest system wasn't really my jam because it just turned into fighting 140 kushalas, jhos, or rajangs. 4 would have been nice to have on the wiiu or something else as well. I liked generations but lots of people didn't. World has a really good early game, but the end game just kept butting up against the old uninspired elders, or the big gimmick superbosses which i dont particularly care for. The online lobby system for each game is wildly different as well and imo greatly affects how fun it is to play.

• Options
    im just here to loot monsters and hit lvl 3 charges

is that so much to ask for?

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Im not sure which weapon i want to "main". I have done LS for so long but dont really want to do that again if everyone is going to jump on the OP train. Gunlance was always a weapon i screwed around with but is also looking kinda crazy. Maybe ill actually get into CB or SA this time around. I always end up making some bowguns as well just because some fights are more fun or easier online if you can just shoot them.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    If you can't decide, just play them all.

The only time I limited myself was when I made a CB & IG-only character to force myself to learn them rather than falling back on older ones.
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    IceBurner hasnt liked a MH since like. Generations or 3u
    3rd gen roster and map designs still haven't been topped. I'd be pretty happy if 3U HD had gotten a Switch port with rendering fixes to stop the terrible transparency-related frame drops and somewhat borked underwater FX.

If not for the late game focus on "extra hard" gimmicks, I'd be more fond of 4U and Generations. As it is, I like them well enough except that stuff. Well that and the tired old monsters that have already seen their betters. I'd exceed the speed of light to trade the entire cast of Gen 1-2 monsters for a single brand new one, every time.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Sorry, but you have to spam tackles now, that's the rules.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

i do like tackles, super armor is definitely my shit

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I am very enamored with GL.

I bet a lot of people drop LS in the final game when the broken values are fixed.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

i do like tackles, super armor is definitely my shit

Super armor actually sounds pretty un-Monster Hunterish to me. Monsters should be the ones using their bulk to shrug off the puny blows of hunters, not the other way around. Having that kind of thing as an over the top hunter art with a huge cooldown is one thing, but just being able to spam it at will?

• Options
    i would love for crit draw to be a strong way to play GS again

true charge slash just ruins that tho

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Seidkona wrote: »

I bet a lot of people drop LS in the final game when the broken values are fixed.

oh it goes beyond the headsplitter though. lai strike being invincible is insane. That's what they will need to fix for people to leave LS.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Seidkona wrote: »

oh it goes beyond the headsplitter though. lai strike being invincible is insane. That's what they will need to fix for people to leave LS.

The counter? Hmm, it wasnt in World was it?

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    World is my first and only Monster Hunter thus far it's what I want. I tried the Rise demo, and it was less what I want, including not being as pretty (I like pretty!), so for the time being I'll just stick to playing World until I've driven it into the ground.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i played a bit of the rise demo and it wasn't grabbing me either

i think i may just be monster huntered out for the time being. i'll probably pick it up when i'm feeling more enthusiastic about diving into it

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I think the levels look fine. I mean i played 3u on my 3ds and it was fine. I actually think the increased resolution and stuff in world was just distracting once everything looks like a gray/brown smear. In the demo it was pretty easy to make out everything. The only thing that was a bit noisy was the raptor boss with all of his friends, 4 players, and all their pets. But as soon as the monsters get bigger the pets are unconscious most of the time so that matters less.

It's also really hard to gauge whether you will like a given MH game. I loved 3u but lots of people didn't because of the water stuff. But i didnt mind the water, and it had voice chat on the wiiu. 4 had some real ups and downs. It had monsters i liked, but i HATED apex bullshit and having to hit them out of it within the buff time. Then the weird leveled quest system wasn't really my jam because it just turned into fighting 140 kushalas, jhos, or rajangs. 4 would have been nice to have on the wiiu or something else as well. I liked generations but lots of people didn't. World has a really good early game, but the end game just kept butting up against the old uninspired elders, or the big gimmick superbosses which i dont particularly care for. The online lobby system for each game is wildly different as well and imo greatly affects how fun it is to play.

I played the very first tutorial quest in the demo out of curiosity, and I couldn't find 2 of the 3 raptorthingy corpses to loot carve them after killing them. They just blended right into the ground.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    We've only seen like...two levels?

Yeah isn't it about time for the volcano reveal?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I sort of think the demo is just bad. I don't think the game will be, there is a good game under there somewhere, it's just that the demo is missing a lot of what makes monhun good.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    I sort of think the demo is just bad. I don't think the game will be, there is a good game under there somewhere, it's just that the demo is missing a lot of what makes monhun good.

It's missing nearly everything.

No progression, no crafting/customization, builds, silk binds/weapon arts are fixed, and apparently none of the weapons even had their entire movesets.

It was a fun little display of the hunting with the inherent promise that there will be the Monster Hunter meat on those demos bones.

But just in case it's garbage, I'm not pre-ordering it at all.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    As someone who has only very recently started to 'get' Monster Hunter after countless attempts, I can say with conviction that their demos are generally pretty terrible especially for someone like me. The one thing that finally worked was firing up an old copy of 3 Ultimate on my Wii U and starting from 0. That finally made things click and I was able to start enjoying my copy of World I bought forever ago.

In fact the demos have done a fantastic job of putting me off the series time and time again.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    And this is probably the best demo they've done for the series, too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    And this is probably the best demo they've done for the series, too.

I liked the demo for world, but only because it sold me on the big open zones.

• Options
    Yeah World's demo was great, it let you explore the whole map and they even added new monsters to fight before the time limit was up.

• Options
    One thing that's really making Rise more attractive for me is not every single monster is a damn dinosaur.

World felt like it was 85% lizards/dinos by volume.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Just bring back Prowlers you COWARDS.

I want to play my little kitty swinging on giant monsters.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    MH demos suck for me cause 95% of a mon hun game is beating roadblocks and crafting new gear

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    I'm definitely excited for Rise, I liked how it's somewhat a mix between World and GU and I'm looking forward to the new monsters, locales and getting good with the wirebug arts.

But, the PC port rumor really has me wondering if I should wait it out, as the game really seems to be struggling to keep up at 30fps. Hoping that maybe the final release has performance improvements.