As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was thinking I was done but I got the itch to hunt

So, this happened.

Anjanath, bruh, c'mon man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkxwif-fBxU

Rando GS dude eating it at the beginning of the clip is just *chef's kiss*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    nargacuga, who has definitely NOT been secretly replaced by a tigrex, did the triple pounce three times in a row, in alternating directions

oh my god i hate this so much

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Going to be honest, SnS doesn't really have much of a drawback that I can tell. Which is usually the case for it. The worst you can say is it struggles to hit some tails to cut them.

Using Duals I actually cut the tail off a Basarios today. Solo.

Nobody was more surprised than me. Well... maybe the Basarios.

• Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Of all the crazy shit I’ve played in this game I never thought I’d end up with LBG.

In theory it’s got the same philosophy as lance: Aim for the weak point for constant damage while using your defensive moves to avoid hits. Only here it’s silkbinds and evades instead of a shield.

That fanning maneuver is the best movement in the game, now that I know how to pick direction.

When I made the jump from PS4 to PC for iceborne, lance took a back seat for a while as I enjoyed a heavy affair with LBG, as you said philosophically they have some overlap that made it easy to transition. Having a mouse to aim with instead certainly lessened the learning curve too.

Not sure what I want to try out once I've had my fill of lance, maybe SnS?

Not dabbling in much else though, not until I get out of LR.

Aretè on
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Evade extender is basically mandatory for SA, isn't it? Especially with how far it goes with a single point.

Made Almudron set, slotted it up to evade 4 extender 1, this should be fun. The morph is so fucking fast.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Brody wrote: »
    I should work on either a LBG or HBG set...

I made this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS_tfQy5dWk

It took me 25 zinogre fights to get his jasper to make the gun. If I remember right there's a 3% chance of getting it on a capture, and 3% chance per carve, so it's better to kill. Didn't matter how often I asked the group to kill him, hardly ever happened. I mean, I didn't use a Japanese translated "please kill" message, so I wasn't trying very hard, so it's really my fault.

I have a weakness exploit 2 talisman, so I was able to replace the helm with the anjanath one since it has a level 2 slot. Then rather than socket in the special ammo power decorations, I put in evade extender 3 because I can't live without it.

It's really stronk. The gatling gun shot is amazing. This particular gun has everything you could ever want, I love paralysis, and slice and piercing are great. You can give it rampage attack up and the power barrel and it gets to 253 attack. I had heard that the rampage weapons were among the best due to their versatility and full customization...it can't get anywhere near this gun's damage and ammo types and zero deviation.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Evade extender is basically mandatory for SA, isn't it? Especially with how far it goes with a single point.

Made Almudron set, slotted it up to evade 4 extender 1, this should be fun. The morph is so fucking fast.
    it's nice, but you don't need it, especially now, when you have more options for closing distance with wirebug

• Options

I made this one.

It took me 25 zinogre fights to get his jasper to make the gun. If I remember right there's a 3% chance of getting it on a capture, and 3% chance per carve, so it's better to kill. Didn't matter how often I asked the group to kill him, hardly ever happened. I mean, I didn't use a Japanese translated "please kill" message, so I wasn't trying very hard, so it's really my fault.

I have a weakness exploit 2 talisman, so I was able to replace the helm with the anjanath one since it has a level 2 slot. Then rather than socket in the special ammo power decorations, I put in evade extender 3 because I can't live without it.

It's really stronk. The gatling gun shot is amazing. This particular gun has everything you could ever want, I love paralysis, and slice and piercing are great. You can give it rampage attack up and the power barrel and it gets to 253 attack. I had heard that the rampage weapons were among the best due to their versatility and full customization...it can't get anywhere near this gun's damage and ammo types and zero deviation.
    The Ore line is similar, missing thunder/para and slicing, but similar damage profile and has Shrapnel 3. Slightly easier to build, I think, and slightly more damage overall?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I made this one.

First quick try at Zinogre in join request, captured...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    This is interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzv5QfiJ1gE&ab_channel=gaijinhunter

I wonder what other unique rampage skills there are.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

They're fun, totally different way of playing.

I can't speak for HBG too much but a really fast paced LBG is a blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwxOUjzm868

• Options

They're fun, totally different way of playing.

I can't speak for HBG too much but a really fast paced LBG is a blast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwxOUjzm868
    HBG is not nearly as mobile, but Wyvernheart and Snipe are a lot of fun, and the counter silkbind is SO satisfying.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Someday I want to have a MH where you can make your bug on the insect glaive do most of the work.

I do enjoy this Bullshroud bug - Speed, and Charged Chain Attack, so it powers up after a few seconds on the arm and then launches out, buzzing around a few times on the target and inflicting exhaust/blunt damage to the head.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Been running Charge Blade through all the high rank hub quests in order to get a feel for it, think it's finally clicking.

Decided to use Axe Hopper over the counter silkbind and immediately started having way more fun, that move is too hilarious. Load Shell 2 charges phials so fast (x+a into charge A gets you full phials) that you can just insta charge shield, charge a new set of phials right after, and then go to town baiting things and punishing with axe hopper into aerial AED spam, then really go ham once you start chaining knockdowns.

I'm sure this will start working less well once I fight some of the more aggressive monsters, but god damn is it fun.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    nargacuga, who has definitely NOT been secretly replaced by a tigrex, did the triple pounce three times in a row, in alternating directions

The power levels in this one are definitely different, but I've found Narga to be way more difficult than Tigrex no matter the weapon in this game. I felt similarly in World, too.

He has such few yellow number zones and they are small, except the tail which moves at light speed consistently.

He's really resistant to anything but blunt force trauma.

• Options
    God damn LBG with evade extender and fanning maneuver is crazy mobile at just circling an enemy constantly. Zinogre LBG melted right through the unlock quest for the last switch skill, but tbh I'm not feeling either of them. Elemental reload is fine, but the zinogre LBG packs so much shiny raw ammo. Quickstep evade can't continue into the slide (btw, does that slide dodge trigger affinity sliding?) so...

Also, playing around in the training area? Turns out fanning maneuver makes cluster ammo go straight at the target, so you can just throw them out there. (Fanning vault also does that iirc, but that one also has the silly of applying wyvernblast directly to the monster to be set off with pierce shots and such)

Finally, in a note about rampage skills... the Zinogre LBG also ends up upgrading to 4/6/4 pierce ammo if you take Pierce Effect II. None of them will rapid fire still, but a healthy load of every pierce shot adds onto its existing strengths nicely. Also let's be honest the thing just looks really sleek.

• Options
    edited April 2021

The power levels in this one are definitely different, but I've found Narga to be way more difficult than Tigrex no matter the weapon in this game. I felt similarly in World, too.

He has such few yellow number zones and they are small, except the tail which moves at light speed consistently.

He's really resistant to anything but blunt force trauma.
    part of the issue i think is no clutch claw, so wing breaks are a distant dream now

i always found narg the best of the three in world, with forgiving, generous hitboxes, actual recovery time, and a tell for the tail slam that doesn’t require me to switch language settings or download duolingo

Elendil on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I just sit under Narga and dodge to the (my)right if he makes any (his)left shifting movement and he just literally spends the entire fight getting beat up and doing nothing.

Maybe duals are just secretly op.

Edit: Oh also Marathon Runner/constitution/evade extension is dumb on feral duals. The dodge moves further than the wirebug pull so you casually beyblade all over the place while still hitting them as you pass through their hitboxes like some kind ninja raptor. It's pretty good.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    One of the things I dislike in Rise is that little whine the Palamute does sometimes fairly often when you're hanging out in town. It sounds super realistic, and it always makes me think my dog's upset about something.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Someday I want to have a MH where you can make your bug on the insect glaive do most of the work.

I do enjoy this Bullshroud bug - Speed, and Charged Chain Attack, so it powers up after a few seconds on the arm and then launches out, buzzing around a few times on the target and inflicting exhaust/blunt damage to the head.

I've been playing with all the bugs, and Bullshroud might be my number one pick, with Grancathar (I think? Same ability but severing) as a number two pick.

I know the internet meta won't shut up about assist bugs, and they are great, but I get much more consistent KOs with Bullshroud, and can in many cases get triple up faster than with the assist bugs, even though I only collect one at a time, because Bullshroud is just so fast.

If you're using Bullshroud, practice animation cancelling out of Tornado Slash or the final X combo finisher (the name escapes me) using ZR+X to send bullshroud out fully charged mid combo, and then on the next dps rotation animation cancel your second tornado slash with ZR+A to recall the bug. It'll be charged up by the time you dodge out of the monster's follow up, and you can do it again.

It's not a consistent dps addition like an assist bug, but it does serious work.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Don't know if this is new in Rise or it was in other recent games but the Join Request feature for online quests is so good. Just being able to get quests rolling and have other randoms join in whenever is incredible and addicting.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    It was in World under a different name. In World from what I understand there was more of an interface for it, you could see a list of all the people with requests for any given quest and you could be choosy and say "pshh I'm not joining those HR4 scrubs, I'm only joining HR50 experienced hunters."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I made this one.

First quick try at Zinogre in join request, captured...

I uh

I got the jasper first hunt

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Deans wrote: »
    This is interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzv5QfiJ1gE&ab_channel=gaijinhunter

I wonder what other unique rampage skills there are.

If anyone else is trying to make this weapon, I highly recommend taking gatherer palicos when hunting for pawprint stamps. I was just kinda idling and killing them when they spawned, and didn't get any stamp drops in a good while, but it turns out my cats had plundered a whole bunch of them. I got the 8 stamps for the weapon and only one of them was actually dropped.

• Options
    Don't know if this is new in Rise or it was in other recent games but the Join Request feature for online quests is so good. Just being able to get quests rolling and have other randoms join in whenever is incredible and addicting.

In World it worked 2 ways (technically 3 but nobody even used the 3rd “assigned quest” option much)

One you could see all the current quests where someone had fired off an SOS flare, including player levels and time in.

The other was just firing off an SOS flare in your quest and people would join you as described above.

There was also joining lobbies with friends and doing it that way.

I think Worlds multiplayer was a lot more robust and frankly pretty painless and effective.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The reason they didn't just use World's system is because of the portable nature of the switch: an internet connection is not a given.

I don't think Rise PC is going to change it but the next console/PC-first MH will probably use the system from World.

I much prefered World in this regard.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    i beat the game

i think??? it's not super clear

digging the barioth switch axe. narg with white sharpness probably edges it out in raw, but the barioth one has a lot of blue sharpness to work with, almost as high affinity, ice element with elemental phial (i'm convinced elemental is gonna be meta for switch axe) and hits 200 raw with the attack ramp-up

really solid all-arounder
    The Barioth Switch Axe would be a lot stronger if ice damage was good against more than like two monsters. (I guess three if you include Almudron, because the fire options for Switch Axe are kind of terrible right now.)

I think I'm starting to sour on Power Phial as well. 15% extra physical damage on sword attacks is good and all, but not as good as being amped, and my amped uptime is way worse with Power Phial. And then axe form (which I like a ton in this game) barely cares what your phial is but desperately needs you to be amped.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Supposedly the Fall Drache swag axe is a sleeper (dragon ele, power phial)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Does nothing in Rise throw Dragon element at you? That seems odd. And I realize that more monsters are coming but still.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Pro tip: when you see 3% carve and 3% capture odds for a gem, that almost always means "3% on a tail carve and 1% on a body carve". Capturing with the Capture Master skill (from Edel gloves or the arena chest) is generally the way to go.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Does nothing in Rise throw Dragon element at you? That seems odd. And I realize that more monsters are coming but still.

You can get dragonblight from the rampage exclusive dragon, but from what I've seen you almost have to try and get it deliberately.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    i beat the game

i think??? it's not super clear

digging the barioth switch axe. narg with white sharpness probably edges it out in raw, but the barioth one has a lot of blue sharpness to work with, almost as high affinity, ice element with elemental phial (i'm convinced elemental is gonna be meta for switch axe) and hits 200 raw with the attack ramp-up

really solid all-arounder
    The Barioth Switch Axe would be a lot stronger if ice damage was good against more than like two monsters. (I guess three if you include Almudron, because the fire options for Switch Axe are kind of terrible right now.)

I think I'm starting to sour on Power Phial as well. 15% extra physical damage on sword attacks is good and all, but not as good as being amped, and my amped uptime is way worse with Power Phial. And then axe form (which I like a ton in this game) barely cares what your phial is but desperately needs you to be amped.

Yeah, the amp damage is a lot of bonus output. Exhaust phial is real nice since it's a good status to have riding for free and amps fast - the Ore 2 tree is solid.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I’m sure more are coming that will.

Dragon is usually reserved for big boys like Jho

• Options
    HereticAstartesHereticAstartes Registered User regular
    Finally got around to giving the hard bash combo on the SnS a fair try. It's enjoyable in it's own right, but I like drill slash more. Here's hoping elemental SnS becomes a thing. It is neat that the shield becomes a big part of the playstyle with hard bash though.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Damage types is still my biggest complaint with the series. It's never clear enough whether you're using a good damage type in a given fight. I wish there was an in combat visual to make strong vs weak elements more clear.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    So I played most of this game using my favorite weapon from World, Charge Blade. I also picked up both Switchaxe and Gunlance and love them a lot; I think Gunlance is my favorite weapon right now. I also recently went back to two other weapons I played a lot in World, Greatsword and Sword & Shield. All these weapons seem fine and pretty well balanced!

Since none of my friends are using it and the online hype is evident, I decided to dabble in Longsword. And, uh, wow. The main thing I have learned from this experiment is that I should not listen to any advice about fighting specific monsters from people who use this weapon. It's so clearly more powerful than every other weapon that I've played that it's just ridiculous. I hate Barioth with a burning passion, but I pretty much just clowned it effortlessly with this weapon that I have almost no experience at using.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Damage types is still my biggest complaint with the series. It's never clear enough whether you're using a good damage type in a given fight. I wish there was an in combat visual to make strong vs weak elements more clear.

It’s part of preparing for a fight. The game gives you absolutely every bit of info needed in the in-game reference guide.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

I wish elemental or status was more clear on when it's applying well or not (the in game guides are such an improvement at least, but there's still edge cases where its confusing like Barroth and Jyuratodus in mud). I'm not sure how to do that without making things more visually confusing, or just straight up changing how damage works.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

I wish elemental or status was more clear on when it's applying well or not (the in game guides are such an improvement at least, but there's still edge cases where its confusing like Barroth and Jyuratodus in mud). I'm not sure how to do that without making things more visually confusing, or just straight up changing how damage works.

The guide seems like it should have a toggle between mud on/off and such but there's no way to select it?

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

If you see the elemental damage visual effect, then it’s applying. How much is another question altogether.

There’s a reason I ditched elemental and status and just went raw. I don’t do bow or dual blades and want to see numbers pop.