As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 60- Offshore/Abbott of the Eternal

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    OOC: Forgot to add Maalick's +3 profiency to Saving Throw, but the results would've been the same: All attacks against Maalick now have advantage, until Arno's concentration is broken. Arno runs up on the rest of the Wild Bunch, jogging through the rain and suddenly finding themself in a clearing filled with four different versions of Urixes...

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "I have you now," Urixes mutters, zeroing in on the highlighted form of the troll and striking at it with a one-two punch of eldritch force and summoned tentacle.

Geth, roll 2d20k1+1 for Eldritch Blast
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Force Damage
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+5 for Grasp of the Deep
    Geth, roll 1d8 for Lightning Damage

Eldritch Blast:
    2d20k1+1 20 [2d20k1=[19], 8]
    Force Damage:
    1d10+3 13 [1d10=10]
    Grasp of the Deep:
    2d20k1+5 20 [2d20k1=[15], 2]
    Lightning Damage:
    1d8 6 [1d8=6]

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Jack is almost physically pushed back by the troll's relentless attacks, barely dodging one, taking the second full on and bringing his rapier up to attempt to deflect some of the third's damage ((OOC: using his reaction and Parry to reduce the last strike's damage)).

Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Parry Damage Reduced (from 8 total)

He gasps, somewhat winded from his last attack, but the sight of his allies rushing in bolsters his resolve. "Right then." Some blood drippling from his mouth he grins up at the troll and flips the mask back down, yelling and slashing at his prey.

Geth, roll 2d20k1 for Rapier Slash
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Rapier Damage

((OOC: If it hits he'll also be applying Menacing Attack, WIS 13 save or become Frightened and get disadvantage on attacks against Jack. He takes the extra damage regardless of the save))

Geth, roll 1d8 Extra Menacing Attack Damage

Parry Damage Reduced (from 8 total):
    1d8+3 4 [1d8=1]
    Rapier Slash:
    2d20k1 14 [2d20k1=[14], 5]
    Rapier Damage:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]
    Extra Menacing Attack Damage:
    1d8 5 [1d8=5]

• Options
    ((OOC: Whoops, add +5 to that Rapier Slash roll, I forgot!))

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Everyone is outpacing Oak in their pursuit of the Troll, but the shifter's rage keeps him throwing javelins, even though he isn't realizing that it's slowing him down from reaching the troll faster. Another Javelin in hard, another throw towards the troll.

As it flies through the air, his hand finds itself in his pack, grabbing a potion that was given to him by the Lizardfolk. It would allow someone to breathe fire on the troll. In his raging state, Oak's eyes searched for a way to get the fire happening as soon as possible, and landed on Jack. "Lad! Catch!" he yells, throwing the potion towards Jack.

OOC:Within 30 feet of everyone else now, so throwing the potion is possible and a little easier for Jack to catch. @Glal you need to roll a Dex save.

Geth, roll 2d20k1+5 fro Javelin Attack
    Geth, roll 1d6+5 for Damage

fro Javelin Attack:
    2d20k1+5 23 [2d20k1=[18], 18]
    Damage:
    1d6+5 11 [1d6=6]

• Options
    edited December 2020
    "Whu-what?" Jack looks over and spots the small flask flying at him at the last moment, snatching at it with his free hand.

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Dex Save

Dex Save:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

Glal on
  • Options
    [Jack and the Troll square off against each other: a violent clash of claws and blade as the Giant bears down, dwarfing the flitting swordsman. Mid-fight, the Troll tries to sink its impossibly wide mouth into Jack’s neck, but at the very last second, Jack manages to catch the bottom row of teeth with the hilt of his sword…he expertly uses the Troll’s momentum against itself to *KNOCK* the Troll off it’s balance. Roles reversed, Jack now looms over the downed Giant; eyes glowing red from the Wolf Helm, sword pointed at Maalick’s chest. For a second Maalick forgets himself, and believes you really are a Demon….]

Geth roll 1d20-1 Wisdom Save (Maalick)

[The Wild Bunch rolling in in force, Maalick attempts to pull himself to his feet…but Urixes’s tentacle, bigger than any of you have ever seen it before, curls out against it’s legs in the mist…and yanks him back down to the earth again. As the massive dark tentacle holds the Troll down tight, it sends a coursing, non-stop electricity throughout his entire body. The True Urixes, emerging with his copies from the rain, doubles-down on the magical assault: hitting it with a furious, *laser focused* shot of eldritch energy which tears at Maalick’s body and blackens his skin to a crisp.

Maalick is shaking when he finally pulls himself up. He no longer looks angry, or annoyed..for the first time, he looks truly frightened. He steadies himself, takes a deep breath…and that’s when yet another Javelin from across the water, closer by and coming in *HOT*, whistles in point first at the Troll’s neck. The Javelin continues it’s flight for a few feet afterwards, before finally clattering to the ground. Maalick’s face, frozen in a rictus grin, leers down for a second more…before the head slides off the neck, and falls to the ground at Jack and Strike’s feet. Above them, the troll’s body wobbles, but remains standing]

Wisdom Save (Maalick):
    1d20-1 2 [1d20=3]

• Options
    [Strike is breathing heavily, from the fear and the adrenaline and the exhaustion and the sudden exhilaration. He looks over at Jack, eyes displaying a happy shock. "Iz zat...iz zat...*ARRGH*!" before he can finish his sentence, the body springs to life in front of Strike, coming at the Rak'Ta with it's claws swinging. At Jack's feet, the head suddenly rolls over, begins dragging itself towards Jack by the teeth. Strike swings at the body, more out a frightened instinct than a prepared swing...]

Geth roll 1d20 Staff hit (@ Maalick)

Geth roll 1d6+1 Staff damage

Staff hit (@ Maalick):
    1d20 15 [1d20=15]
    Staff damage:
    1d6+1 4 [1d6=3]

• Options
    Jack turns back to the troll, only to see its head roll off. "Err..." He gently taps the chest, then takes a few steps back, just in case this mountain rolls atop him. While everyone is paying attention to their defeated opponent he stealthily slips the potion in his pocket- the real treasure of this fight.

"Well..." Pant, "I don't see anyone else coming at us... everyone still alive?" Pant pant. With a sigh he sits against the rock behind him, waving a hand, "I need a breather."

• Options
    [Strike’s blow almost puts the creature down for good. Almost.

The Head remembers Jack, and when it realizes it can’t roll away, he attempts to bite at Jack’s ankles. The body swings out once, wildly, in Jack and Strike’s general direction...]

Geth roll 1d20+2 for the Left Claw (Unseeing Swipe)

Geth roll 1d20+2 for the Left Claw (Unseeing Swipe (Dis.) )

Geth roll 2d6+4 (@ Jack)- slashing damage

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Hunter’s Roll (Barely Mobile Bite)

Geth roll 1d20+2 for Hunter’s Roll (Barely Mobile Bite(Dis.) )

Geth roll 1d6+4 (@ Jack)- piercing damage

[The body, sensing a familiar gnashing of teeth, stoops down and reaches over in the rain soaked grass, now splattered with blood and ichor. Finding it’s head, it pulls itself back up by the left hand and, rather indelicately, *SHOVES* the head back onto it’s neck with the right hand. He *WRENCHES* his head back on with a sickening tearing and grinding. Maalick stands before you again. Just barely…but the Troll is not yet dead.]

[OOC:] The Wild Bunch was unbelievably close to putting Maalick down permanently that round...but did not quite do so! The Troll puts his head back on, and Regenerates. If you guys can reduce Maalick past zero HP spoiler (all of him), he's going down this Round

the Left Claw (Unseeing Swipe):
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]
    the Left Claw (Unseeing Swipe (Dis.) ):
    1d20+2 7 [1d20=5]
    (@ Jack)- slashing damage:
    2d6+4 9 [2d6=1, 4]
    Hunters Roll (Barely Mobile Bite):
    1d20+2 5 [1d20=3]
    Hunters Roll (Barely Mobile Bite(Dis.) ):
    1d20+2 19 [1d20=17]
    (@ Jack)- piercing damage:
    1d6+4 8 [1d6=4]

• Options
    OOC: It's Arno's turn right?

• Options
    edited December 2020
    OOC: Correct! However, for this and future battles, I'm going to try to make sure enemies always have the same order in the Initiative, so that way you guys have the option to go up and down your order as needed, without people having to wait on each other. That seems to make the battles go a lot faster, and makes it a lot easier to do things such as "slot in Jack's turn here, which actually occurs later, because Glal needs to go to bed". It seems to have worked so far: my only concern would be players being concerned about things like "kill stealing", which, if the four of you between you decide you don't care about that sort of thing, neither do I. So for example, if Arno and Urixes were fine with it, Jack and Oak would be well within their rights to run up and finish this sucker off right now.

[If you don't mind Initiative Order being fully flexible (i.e. everyone gets in their turn when able, and order is broken down to "Wild Bunch's Turn" and "Bad Guy's Turn", leave an agree to this post]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Oak continues charging forward, reaching the Troll just in time to see it's head reattach to it's body after taking a swipe at Jack.

"No." He growls, angry that it was able to attack his companions so many times while he wasn't standing there. "Heads that get cut off should STAY cut off!"

He raises his sword and attempts a double handed downward slash, striking diagonally in an attempt to sever more than just the head from the body.

Geth, roll 2d20k1+5 for Longsword Attack.
    Geth, roll 1d10+5 for Damage

OOC:Seems like that's full agreement of "us vs them", so I'll run up.

Rolled crit damage below for Nat 20, so it's 14 dmg in total.

Longsword Attack:
    2d20k1+5 25 [2d20k1=[20], 13]
    Damage:
    1d10+5 8 [1d10=3]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    Geth roll 1d10 for Crit Extra Damage

Crit Extra Damage:
    1d10 6 [1d10=6]

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Maalick finally goes down, the ground *SHAKING* as his body hits the earth. He’s dead this time…really, actually dead. You poke him with your weapons a few times, just to make absolutely sure.

[ Everyone gains 800 Experience. Strike advances to Level 3! Some of Maalick’s satchels and possessions have been ripped and torn during the fight, revealing glittering contents. Among many useless items, random straps of leather and raw meat, and the occasional bone, you discover the following items of value: 800 GP (Everyone add 200 GP a piece to your Gold total); A Platinum Dagger with a serrated blade, and of a strange design (+1 Platinum Dagger, with the added effect of being able to stop a creature regenerating on a successful hit); and Two Talking Rocks (Sending Stones). You clearly aren’t the only tourists Maalick has tried to kill, but you’ve definitely just become the last ]

The Wild Bunch collects itself. Arno and Jack check to make sure Mister Fusspot remains safely hidden inside away his kayak. When you are all ready, the group takes to their watercraft again, headed South and away from the Falls…

OOC: Please let me know who takes possession of the +1 Dagger. Please let me know which two characters are taking possession of a Sending Stone. Also, just received message that my D&D books have been delivered, so I'll be picking those up this evening!
    [A CALM, BEAUTIFUL STRETCH OF RIVER WHERE NOTHING BAD COULD POSSIBLY HAPPEN]

Your group continues on into the rainy afternoon, making good progress in your kayaks. The river is steady but easygoing for a few miles. After a few days of practice at this, your abilities in your watercraft and your cohesion as a team have turned the Wild Bunch into a well-oiled machine out here on the water.

After a drop over some whitewater, the group finds themselves arriving in a heavily darkened grove. The branches cut in so densely overhead here that you almost can’t see the sun, and thick overgrown vines hang from the trees every few feet. Smaller branches stretch out over the water, brushing against your group as you pass. The place is eerie, quiet, still. Even the bugs seem to have fled this area. The group glides silently along this ominous stretch of river…

[Everyone please make a Perception Check for me (DC 16). In addition, Roll a 1d4, which will determine effects on a failure.]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Arno hustles up to the giant once more a corpse. "Sorry, forgot to mention, trolls are like starfish, cut a piece off and it grows back. Also, apparently if you cut a troll in half you get two, just like starfish. How you hit a troll hard enough to cut them in half, I don't know."

Arno unplugs the flask of acid and begins pouring over the re-deadified corpses wounds. "Fun fact, both starfish and trolls love shellfish. Less fun fact, I don't think we are done, he mentioned that "she" would give him two more worgs. We may meet some more hunting packs."

no need for the dagger, but I'll take a stone since I can scout a bit better than most.

geth roll 1d20+5 for perception

Geth roll 1d4 for mystery

perception:
    1d20+5 18 [1d20=13]
    mystery:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

• Options
    His sword cleaving through the troll, Oak spins around, looking for more enemies. As he realizes that there are none, he sits down on a nearby fallen log, taking deep breaths until the red haze filled his eyes disappears. He stares at the corpse of the troll as he breathes, waiting for any sign of movement, content after a while that it wasn't coming. A few pokes of the sword later, and he is content to take in their surroundings and eventually head downriver.

OOC: I'll take the other stone as the "check in" guy. Someone else can have the dagger.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Perception
    Geth, roll 1d4 for Uh Oh!

Perception:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]
    Uh Oh!:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

• Options
    "AH CRIPES!" Jack backpedals against the rock, staring in disbelief as the decapitated body begins moving once more, the rolling head snapping at his legs like an angry dog. He kick-kick-kicks! at the head, looking very relieved as Oak finally puts the thing down.

"...is, is it dead?" Rapier at the ready he kicks the head, then the foot of the corpse. Dead? Dead? Kick!... Dead. "Well that was a good trick, scared me half to death it did."

When the shinies come out he's already forgotten about the encounter, ooh-ing in excitement as they're brought out. "Oh, I've seen those before!" He points to the stones, "They're really useful if you want to play a prank on someone." Pause. "And if someone needs to get sent out to scout, I guess."

((OOC: The stones strike me as something we'd split out as needed, but can otherwise be carried by anyone until then?
    Re: dagger, might be good for one of our casters as an emergency weapon? The +1 will help compensate.
    I've a question about the Returning Harpoon, harpoons don't appear to be a standard weapon type, what is it based on?))

"Oh, before I forget!" He digs through his kayak, giving Mister Fusspot a scratch before returning with two javelins, "I've had these since we left, but it feels you can make much better use of them." He hands them to Oak.

Jack whines his way into a short rest before they return to the river, glad for a bit of calm after that encounter. The foliage slowly begins closing in until he has to stop and use his rapier to get rid of a vine or two. This feels less like a river and more like a swamp.

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Perception Check
    Geth, roll 1d4 for Doom

Perception Check:
    1d20+3 9 [1d20=6]
    Doom:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

• Options
    edited December 2020
    OOC: The Sending Stones can absolutely be passed back and forth as needed. Under the current circumstances (you guys three days journey into a treacherous dungeon), I'm checking to see who has them at the present moment just in case anything...happens, to any of you four in here.

The Returning Harpoon is *not* a standard weapon type. I was looking into give you guys more pirate flavor and customization options for your characters, and came across this Homebrew page on "Exotic Weapons":

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-M0K8TKBWA_MNe7mpo16

It was Michael's idea to modify one of the existing options into a Harpoon, to better fit the setting!

EDIT- If you're curious about the visual nature of this returning weapon compared to say, a boomerang or a chakram, what I picture when it's in use is some combination of: "unique, slightly curved design; it's a magic weapon, and with proficiency there's basically an invisible tether between the Harpoon and Jack's hand; Jack's Harpoon is functionally his version of Captain America's shield, and even though these throws shouldn't work through sheer physics, Jack is just that bad of a dude"

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Just FYI, I also second a short rest as Jack suggests

• Options
    OOC: Done! Before descending into the "Place-Thats-Definitely-Safe", the group can be considered to have stopped and taken a one hour breather. Spend any Hit Dice you need to. If you're stopping to Rest (regardless if it's a Short or Long Rest), I need someone to roll your 1d30 for possible Camp Events, and I'll be rolling to change the weather

• Options
    I can roll

Geth roll 1d30 for good things happen at camp

good things happen at camp:
    1d30 9 [1d30=9]

• Options
    (( Urixes doesn't really use weapons, so if someone else wants the dagger that's fine with me. If no one wants to claim it I'll take it though since I'm not proficient with much else. ))

Geth, roll 1d20 for Perception
    Geth, roll 1d4 for Something
    Geth, roll 1d8+1 for Spending a Hit Die

Perception:
    1d20 7 [1d20=7]
    Something:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]
    Spending a Hit Die:
    1d8+1 6 [1d8=5]

• Options
    I guess if no one minds me taking all the magic (shield and stones) I can take the dagger since I do use weapons.

• Options
    Geth, roll 2d12+3 for Hit die recovery

Hit die recovery:
    2d12+3 15 [2d12=10, 2]

• Options
    ((OOC: Jack still had his Second Wind left at the end of the fight, so he'll just use that before resting to top up since he'll get it back at the end of the short rest anyway. Fighters can just keep on truckin'...))

Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Second Wind

Second Wind:
    1d10+3 10 [1d10=7]

• Options
    [MESSAGES AT MIDDAY]

The Wild Bunch takes a brief respite along the riverbank. As they rest, the rain gradually clears up overhead, and the sun begins to peek through the gray.

From a distance, the group suddenly hears a baying call…followed by another…and then another. The wolves have come out in the rain, and are nearby...

[Jack makes out the following from the Howls of the Wolves…]
    “*THEY KILLED THE HUNTER*”

“SHE’S GONNA BE FURIOUS”

“*HEY YOU*! WOLF! WHAT ARE YOU DOING THERE?”

“HE CAN’T HEAR YOU, HE’S PEOPLE…BUT HIS SCENT IS FUNNY”

“*HEY YOU!* YOUR FRIENDS ON THEIR WAY HERE...THEY’RE NEAR!”

“SHE’S GONNA BE FURIOUS, WHEN SHE LEARNS ABOUT THE HUNTER”

“OH YEAH, YOU’VE GOT TROUBLE WOLF! YOU KILLED BEATRIX’S HUNTER”

“SHE’LL KILL YOU”

“GET MOVING WOLF”

-

As they rest, Arno takes note of several tittering robins across the river and in the trees…who are not robins, and who sit with giant swaying lizard legs threatening to snap off their delicate branches. They pretend to peck and clean themselves, until they take note of Arno’s notice. Looking at each other in recognition and confusion, they turn back again to Arno and nod at them once, before clasping hands and darting off into the trees.

Urixes is haunted by a faint, but lingering and almost constant sense of déjà vu. He somehow recognizes this spot on the river, just as he recognized the woman from his dreams the previous evening. All of this had the nagging familiarity of a sleep just awoken from…but slowly, unstoppably, Urixes was starting to put bits and pieces back together…

Oak keeps a wary watch over the crew, worried at the sudden stop. He watches all angles along the river, and at your backs. He suddenly *starts* when he realizes something is upon him…and then sees Mister Fusspot clutched to his right forearm, hopping in mad anticipation. Fusspot looks right up at Oak, gives a flutter to it’s wings, and *SQUACKS*…he paces up and down Oak’s forearm, ready and eager for battle…

[Oak (and at this point, everyone in the group) can RP Mister Fusspot back and forth completely. Anyone who chooses may use Mister Fusspot on their turn, in battle or otherwise. Mister Fusspot’s Statistics:]
    Mister Fusspot

AC 12

HP 5

Speed: 25 feet; flying 60 feet

STR 3-4

DEX 15+2

CON 10

INT 3-4

WIS 13+1

CHA 7-2

Skills: Perception+3; Stealth +4

Senses: Darkvision 60 feet., Passive Perception 13

Keen Sight and Smell (Advantage on Wisdom Checks that rely on sight and smell)

Actions: Claws: Melee Weapon: reach 5 feet. Hit: 1 slashing damage

• Options
    Jack is practically asleep when the howls sound and he snaps awake, accidentally knocking over the rapier he'd leaned against the rock beside him. He normally only has two modes, happy and angry, so his current expression is harder to read, but the closest approximation is... longing.

He's uncharacteristically quiet when the howls stop, eyes tracking the fussing Fusspot, then blinks and switches on again, "Danger... Danger!" Scrambling to his feet he looks around the clearing, grabbing his belonging around him, "That troll, their friend is coming, and she's not going to like this..."

Check pockets, check weapons, check supplies. Right, all here. "Also, I think Rax might be near?" He's pausing mid-step, looking at the others as if waiting for them to acknowledge they're moving before he runs to his kayak.

• Options
    "Best we get going then," Urixes says, already rising and moving toward his kayak. He looks around the clearing again as he climbs in, trying to remember the faces that he had seen there before. "Hmm," he grunts, wondering just how much of this he's done before. He shakes his head, letting the memories fade away. "We've already been hunted once today, let's not wait around and make it easy for the next one."

• Options
    Oak watches the animal that Jack had collected walk up and down his arm. Mister Fusspot stares up at him, and for a moment they silently regard one another. Then Oak nods, a silent acknowledgement of another member of the group to watch out for. His eyes return to their surroundings when Jack pops up, scrambling around. Oak doesn't bother asking more questions, he trusts Jack's nose for things like these by this point, so he packs up his gear quickly. "Be it Rax or someone else, I'm happy to stay ahead."

He collects his kayak and puts it ahead the group again, ready to take the lead as they continue downriver.

• Options
    (OOC: I'm starting to picture Oak as Bob from Bob's Burgers, just this endlessly patient dad who has to deal with his exhausting family daily ))

While paddling further down the river Jack pulls up next to Oak and digs through his kayak, pulling out the Returning Harpoon, "I didn't think of it sooner, but I think you might find this more handy than me? What you were doing with the javelins back then, well, not something I can do, that's for sure."
    Harpoon - 500 GP (approximate value)
    1d7+1 piercing damage
    3 lbs.
    30 ft. (normal range) / 120 ft. (maximum possible range)
    Properties: Thrown/Returning (after you gain profiency with it)

To gain proficiency with it (ie, enable the Return portion) you need to practice with it and succeed on DC11 Dexterity checks over the course of 3 short rests.

• Options
    As Jack approached, Oak silently wondered what type of insane stunt he was about to ask to go off and do. The word 'No' was already forming on his lips when Jack instead offered out a weapon. Oak stopped paddling for a moment, letting the kayak drift downriver as he looked at Jack and the weapon. His hand reached out slowly, wrapping around the Harpoon and pulling it into his lap. He looks down at it for a long moment, before looking back up at Jack. "Yer a good lad, Jack."

Oak sits there silently for a moment just looking at Jack, unable to stir up additional words to express his thanks. So instead, he puts the Harpoon away in the pack, grunts, and says "Right then. Let's keep ahead of Rax."

OOC:Oak really seems to be coming together as a mix of Bob (hadn't ever thought of that, but fits so well at this point), and every stereotypical older hero from movies/tv that hides emotions behind a rough exterior. That is, until he rages, and then I think I'm just going to play him and getting dumber and dumber as it goes on.

• Options
    "Jack, do you know those wolves? They seem to recognize you. But they are right, we should get moving. Bye bird lizards. Lizirds? Blizards? Yes, blizards...unless they are the chameleons in which case Bye cousins, please don't sneak up and eat us later!"

Thinking of Rax, Arno decides to cast locate Rax's eyepatch. With it's frayed edges and odd pattern, it appears in Arno's mind as they float downriver, the hazy feeling of distance and closeness enveloping their concentration.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    [Arno gets a faint sense of Rax's eyepatch to the [NORTH] of here (towards the Falls), but it's not currently moving, and hadn't been for awhile.]

[ LATER THAT DAY…A CALM STRETCH OF RIVER…MAALICK’S REVENGE ]

The group silently glides along this ominous stretch of river. They soon discovers why the area here is so silent: it has been heavily, heavily booby trapped: with rough but brutally effective,*GIANT*, improvised weaponry built in every few feet. Many of the branches which stretch out over the water are set up with tension lines; parts of the tree pulled to a point of nearly breaking, just waiting to *spring* forward the second they’re disturbed by enough weight. Underneath your boats, gigantic punji sticks lie just below the water, ready to dig into your watercraft. And above your heads, hanging perilously thirty feet up in the trees, is an absolutely *MASSIVE* spiked log, strung up on a swinging rope, the spidersilk lines primed to release it delicately woven in and around some nondescript vines…

[Oak, Urixes, and Jack have all managed to accidentally trigger (2) the Swinging Branch traps (2d5 bludgeoning damage). Arno, as they do, has managed to serendipitously weave through all the obstacles here, unscathed]

1. Overhead Spiked Log

2. Walloping Branches

3. Punishing Punji Sticks (Kayak Damage)

4. Escape

Geth roll 2d5 bludgeoning damage (Jack)

Geth roll 2d5 bludgeoning damage (Oak)

Geth roll 2d5 bludgeoning damage (Urixes)

[A REASONABLE REQUEST]

The trees overheard don’t clear out, and the day remains rather dark and threatening, despite the rain clearing out above you. For the first time on your journey, your wonder at the pristine beauty about this place is overtaken by a faint but unshakeable sense of dread…concerned that any bush or tree could contain hidden tricks, traps, or dangerous creatures.

It’s at a break in the river, and probably one of the more treacherous spots you’ve seen since you left the Rapids, that each of you hears a sudden whisper inside of your head. It doesn’t feel forced or uncomfortable, when it arrives. It’s almost as though you had nodded off on the river, and the voice that had spoken to you just now was your own:

“A place opened up just West of here that has answers to your questions. You’ve earned a break, haven’t you?; and you’ve actually sought out this place your whole life, if you really think about it.”

The River splits in front of you, to the left and right. But the suggestion in your head, a perfectly reasonable one, thinks you need to head west right now…there’s somewhere out here you need to be, and really, stopping for a few hours can’t be so bad, can it?

[Everyone in the party is making a Wisdom Saving throw to avoid falling *completely* to the effects of a Suggestion Spell. You must succeed against a (DC 20), or find it pressing and (in fact) absolutely necessary to stop your river trip and head a ways west right now, through dense thicket and overgrown tangle, towards a place you’ve never been, but for some reason long to be. In addition, you may make an Intelligence Save (DC 14). On a Success, you realize yourself or afflicted members in the party are being controlled somehow]

bludgeoning damage (Jack):
    2d5 7 [2d5=3, 4]
    bludgeoning damage (Oak):
    2d5 5 [2d5=3, 2]
    bludgeoning damage (Urixes):
    2d5 5 [2d5=4, 1]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Jack shakes his head at Arno, "If they're the same wolves I saw them running alongside us the other day, but other than that, nope. I don't really... associate with other wolves much these days." He grows quiet after that. At least until a large branch WALLOP!s him across the face, throwing him backwards into a lying position in the kayak. He just lays there for a few seconds, before going "...ow."

There's a very upset Mister Fusspot under him that lets his presence known with bites and scratches before flitting off to another kayak.

Geth, roll 1d20+1 for Wisdom Saving Throw
    Geth, roll 1d20 for Intelligence Saving Throw

[edit] ((OOC: ~Everything is just fine~ ))

Wisdom Saving Throw:
    1d20+1 5 [1d20=4]
    Intelligence Saving Throw:
    1d20 10 [1d20=10]

Glal on
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Wisdom Save
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Intelligence Save

Wisdom Save:
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]
    Intelligence Save:
    1d20+2 9 [1d20=7]

• Options
    "Oh by the way watch out for those...oh, never mind."

Geth roll 1d20+5 Wisdom save

Geth roll 1d20+1 int save

Wisdom save:
    1d20+5 7 [1d20=2]
    int save:
    1d20+1 6 [1d20=5]

• Options
    "Guys, over here, this looks promising. I think we can find something useful before we talk to the dark glen person. Race you!"

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Traps were interesting, and slightly painful, but Oak chastised himself for not paying better attention.

Then there was that voice, a whisper that talked about somewhere to the West and getting questions answered. Oak didn't remember having any specific questions, but clearly he must have, because otherwise why would they need answered? "Yeah, to the west it seems." he says calmly, before rowing to the side of the river and starting to get out.

Geth, roll 1d20 for Wisdom Save
    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Int Save

Wisdom Save:
    1d20 12 [1d20=12]
    Int Save:
    1d20-1 11 [1d20=12]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    ((OOC: This is so choice, the only person who resisted it then failed to recognise anything odd about the situation *chef kiss* ))

"I'm with Arno here, we should definitely look into that. Oak? Yeah? Great, let's go!"

Glal on