As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 5E] Whispered Curse, Day 60- Offshore/Abbott of the Eternal

• Options
    zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/giant-weasel

As dawn breaks, Arno stretches. New forms from the book buzz through their head, but first thing is first. Breakfast! Wow, so hungry, good thing they changed spells this evening to goodberry, looks like a hungry day going forward.

Nodding along with Strike, Arno starts to think on animal forms. This may be the most serious face any of the wild bunch has ever seen on Arno. Nodding silently to themselves, it seems a decision is made.

Arno walks to Mr Fusspot "Hey buddy, now today isn't going to be fund for you. Its going to be a bit dark and wet, and I'm really sorry. But I need you to trust Jack, and keep him safe. Keep your ears and eyes open, and don't leave his side. We dont' want anyone getting lost. And I promise I'll get a treat for you on the other side."

With that, Arno takes point at the cave mouth, and begins to change. Stretching and thining, getting furry, Arno soon takes the form of a giant weasel. Keen eyes pierce the dark, and keen ears twitch. They are ready to go in.

geth roll 1d20+3 for wisdom +2 if a perception check

geth roll 1d20+3 for wisdom advantage due to keen senses

wisdom +2 if a perception check:
    1d20+3 7 [1d20=4]
    wisdom advantage due to keen senses:
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    "In a previous life I did something just like this," Urixes says, feeling uncharacteristically chatty today. "Cramped tunnels, oppressive darkness ... though not as flooded as they are this time. One of the group, a big minotaur by the name of ... you know I can't really remember. Stonecrusher or Spinebreaker or Charles or something like that. Anyway he was so big his horns were scraping on the top of the tunnel. Had to have been twice Oak's size, but we all made it through just fine. It was on a different island, actually, where he died. He was crushed by a stone giant." He pauses for a moment, a wistful look on his face. "Great cook though."

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Motivational Speaking

((HAH that's the perfect result for that story.))

Motivational Speaking:
    1d20+3 4 [1d20=1]

Denada on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Jack nods, carefully treading water, "I've never seen a minotaur before, that must've been exciting! I knew a kenku once. Small thing, looked like a magpie and loved to make fun of people by copying them until they flew into a rage, then ran away from them laughing. Vanished one day, along with everything in my pockets."

He's quiet for a few seconds, then, "Still, can't stay mad at a kenku. I miss him."

At some point during this he's started absentmindedly petting the giant weasel's head.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    [ Jack *skillfully* maneuvers the crew through the flooded honeycomb of tunnels, stopping only occasionally to redirect the crew across a different current. Oak backs up the rear and covers everyone’s tail, rested and now fully back in action]

[ Arno keeps their new keen eyes out, but has trouble getting a proper sense of the place after about 200 feet in: then kayak slips sideways at one point, and suddenly doesn’t rest right on Strike’s shoulders. And now the craft keeps bobbing in and out of the Weasel’s view, making it difficult to make out anything through the muck…]

[ Urixes is actually making *surprisingly* good work of their attempt at light-hearted banter, and the group’s spirits are nearly lifted at this small revelation of their quiet friend. But as Urixes continues to tell the tale (and it comes to it’s natural, mortal conclusion), a quiet melancholy comes to hang over the Wild Bunch…as so, everyone is too caught up in their own moment of quiet existential dread to see the thin webs, hanging around them in the dark…]

[Monsters suddenly skitter at your group from down the tunnel. The Wild Bunch loses the Initiative. Battle Map Incoming…]

mrpaku on
  • Options
    OOC: WEBS! I debated for 15 minutes between giant weasel and giant spider, and decided weasel because 60 ft (not 30ft) dark vision and advantage perception. But now you are telling me there are WEBS! The only time Web Sense as a creature power could possibly come in use! *Flips table*

It's all cool Mrpaku, once again over thinking things got in my own way. :surprised:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    [SPIDERS OF OPPORTUNITY]

The Flooded Hallways have become a highly convenient trapping ground for Monstrous Diving Spiders. You can’t see them yet, but you can hear them, chittering amongst themselves (An Undetermined Number of Spiders in this Underwater Cave *READY* an action ahead of you)…

MAP LEGEND-
    hht9ow3j1eqs.jpg

BROWN- STALAGMITES

BLACK-MAP BORDER OR DRY LAND

BLUE LINES- SLOW CURRENTS (move 5ft east each turn)

GREEN-SPIDER WEBS

OOC:You can continue to either wear overhead or ditch your kayak (free bonus action): if you ditch it, I’ll leave a token in its place (3/3HP). Movement is 20ft in the water. Continuing to wear a kayak overhead will give you a minor AC bonus, but will hinder accuracy and might/ probably will destroy the kayak

*ROUND ONE- WILD BUNCH'S TURN*

mrpaku on
  • Options
    *Squeak!* Goes the giant weasel, suddenly shaken from there daydream of a minotaur who starts combat by shouting "here's the beef."

Poor Oak, this is going to give him nightmares for weeks.

The weasel holds up a hand, indicating the group to hang back and get ready. Then, suddenly, giant hairy legs burst from the fur, slowly turning into a giant wolf spider. The new spider moves forward and touches the nearest web.

• Options
    OOC So breakdown, I take an action to use my second wildshape to change to wolf spider, then move to the web straight ahead. Spiders can climb on ceilings and such, but also once they touch a web they can locate all creatures touching the web and is not hindered by webs. They also have 10ft blind sight and 60ft dark.

Also note, I can hold an animal form for 3 hours per wildshape, but only get two every short/long rest. I figure the wolf thing at the ruins had time weirdness so didn't track it, but in here it may be an issue. Only 3 more hours of spider time then I'm just a normal huminoid.

• Options
    [Arno senses a solitary Diving Spider at the far Southeastern corner of these webs (he'll be marked on the map update next turn)]

• Options
    Jack watches the weasel under his hand transform into a giant spider and pulls it back quickly, shaking it in mild disgust, "I guess I deserved that..." He tilts his head this way and that, listening for the spiders, "I don't suppose we can just talk to them calmly?"

He carefully puts his kayak on the ground with a "Hup!", sitting Mister Fusspot in the middle of it, "Now you behave while dads take care of the mean spiders, okay?" Side glance at Arno, "The other mean spiders."

Standing just beside the kayak on land he pulls out his longbow, nocks an arrow and keeps an eye out.

((OOC: Standing on the little bit of ground just NE of his current position and readying an action to shoot an arrow at the first non-Arno spider to attack them. Won't trigger if they don't act aggressive))

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    The group stops and Oak peers around Urixes to see webs covering the crossing in front of them. The pause brings the sounds of skittering legs somewhere in the cave. "I see, trap 'em in, circle around 'em." he says aloud. "Well, we're not easy prey for bugs."

Oak sets down his kayak and slides to the side to get a clear shot around the group. He pulls a javelin out of his pack and whips it with all his strength into the web in front of them.

OOC: Not sure if I need rolls for this or not, but figure easier to do it and not need them.

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Attack
    Geth, roll 1d6+3 for Dmg

Attack:
    1d20+5 20 [1d20=15]
    Dmg:
    1d6+3 7 [1d6=4]

• Options
    Urixes reaches out with his unnatural senses, listening for other minds in the water. These aren't exactly sea creatures, but if they can swim, perhaps his powers will still work...

((Using Scion of the Deep to communicate telepathically with anything that has an innate swimming speed within 120 feet of me. If the enemy spiders fit into that category, I'd like to scare them with an Intimidation check))

Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Intimidation Check

Intimidation Check:
    1d20+5 19 [1d20=14]

• Options
    [Jack stands perched at the foot of the stalagmite, longbow pulled and at the ready]

[Oak’s Javelin *ROCKS* the web, but it’s made of strong stuff, and holds for the moment]

[Urixes closes his eyes and can sense the Giant Diving Spiders around the room, most clinging to the ceiling:]
    of6bx47y270a.jpg

[As Urixes touches the strange spider minds one-by-one, he sends out to each a surge of emotion and intent: over boiling aggression, and unstoppable menace. The Spiders chitter at each other along the ceiling…]

OOC:I had to look up how it would work (and Urixes also didn’t move), so this one goes through no problem! But for the future, “Scion of the Deep” and an Intimidation Check will *each* take a full action

Geth roll 1d20 for Scaring Spiders (#1)

Geth roll 1d20 for Scaring Spiders (#2)

Geth roll 1d20 for Scaring Spiders (#3)

Geth roll 1d20 for Scaring Spiders (#4)

Geth roll 1d20 for Scaring Spiders (#5)

Geth roll 1d20 for Scaring Spiders (#6)

Scaring Spiders (#1):
    1d20 3 [1d20=3]
    Scaring Spiders (#2):
    1d20 17 [1d20=17]
    Scaring Spiders (#3):
    1d20 17 [1d20=17]
    Scaring Spiders (#4):
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]
    Scaring Spiders (#5):
    1d20 12 [1d20=12]
    Scaring Spiders (#6):
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]

• Options
    edited December 2020
    [Urixes speaking into their minds has the Spiders *VERY* spooked, but by no means put off the hunt. They circle around the party warily now, warning each other of the dangerous prey. They *DART* around along the ceilings and webs…and then most of the Diving Spiders let themselves fall into the waters below with a loud *SPLASH*, and you lose them again in the murk of the cave…]

Strike ditches his kayak and swims back the way they came, covering Urixes as the slow current carries them both downstream. He is warier than you’ve seen him before, having learned much from the Wild Bunch in the art of combat. As he gets out into the water, he waves his staff around, granting his usual Blessing to the group. “Careful,” he says. “…Zere in za water now…”

[Strike has Blessed the Wild Bunch! Don’t forget to add that d4 to Attack Rolls and Saving Throws! *Every* Spider is currently Frightened of Urixes (unable to move towards him/disadvantage on Attacks against him, until they shake it). Every Spider has also subsequently disappeared back down into the water…only (Diving Spider #5) remains out in the open upon his web…]

[MAP UPDATE- ROUND TWO- WILD BUNCH’S TURN]
    284n94cfbc8y.jpg

mrpaku on
  • Options
    Oak pins his kayak down with his foot to ensure it doesn't float away from him. Instead of throwing another javelin at the spider in front of them, he peers off to the left, trying to identify any telltale signs of a spider in the water.

OOC:Using my action to do a perception check to the north.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Lookie Lookie

Lookie Lookie:
    1d20+2 14 [1d20=12]

• Options
    Urixes grunts as he unleashes a blast of force at the visible spider. He forgoes summoning a tentacle just yet, choosing instead to wait for more targets to reveal themselves.

Geth, roll 1d20+1d4+5 for Eldritch Blast vs 5
    Geth, roll 1d10+3 for Force Damage

Eldritch Blast vs 5:
    1d20+1d4+5 10 [1d20=3] [1d4=2]
    Force Damage:
    1d10+3 7 [1d10=4]

• Options
    Arno chitters and clacks, advancing on the spider ahead.

"Leave, these creatures have sting and jaws too strong. Nest broken and crushed. Hide, let pass. Easy prey behind them."

Geth roll 1d20+4 persuade that we are too much trouble

persuade that we are too much trouble:
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Jack watches some bolts fly at (and likely past) the spider before them, "Guess we're doing this?" Acting threatening might get the rest to back off, at least. He takes aim and loosens an arrow at the big spider ahead.

Geth, roll 1d20+7 for Longbow Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+3 for Damage

((OOC: Did Arno bribe Geth at some point? ;) ))

[edit] I meant to do a warning shot!

Longbow Attack:
    1d20+7 11 [1d20=4]
    Damage:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]

Glal on
  • Options
    The Wild Bunch closes the distance here very slowly and carefully, preparing their weapons but not eager for the fight. The two groups circle each other in the dark. Most of the enemy still lie under the water scared, waiting for you to close in, but if you only knew it, they nearly *all* dread this encounter now as much as you are…

Urixes and Jack fire warning shots up at the exposed Spider, who barely moves from the attacks, clinging defiantly to it’s line. The Arno Spider hails and hisses at the Spider, attempting to communicate (to it’s intial confusion). The Diving Spider, between fear of Urixes and the well-armed group and the sudden conciliatory offer from Arno, stops on it’s web. It looks over at Arno with many eyes, curious but hopeful. “…easy prey behind?”

One by one, the other five spiders pop out of the water nearby, and begin making their ways back up to their spots in the ceiling. They stare at the Arno Spider with a strange sort of fascination (you are very Uncanny Valley to them), and check in one-by-one with the Head Spider. The Diving Spider on the Line, shrugging it’s many shoulders, seems to agree with Arno: your stings are all bad news, just like Urixes had warned. Better to let you pass then, take the next meal that washes into the tunnels. Common sense even spiders can understand.

The Diving Spiders watch you move through here with untold eyes, as they skitter curious overhead and let you through their webs unhindered…

[The Wild Bunch defuses the Diving Spider Encounter Non-Violently: they have been convinced that you are prey better left alone. Everyone gains 360 experience]

• Options
    Oak nods appreciatively as the spiders seem to retreat. "Good job all." He says softly, not risking the calm of the moment with a raised voice. "Especially you Arno, solid choice on form."

Oak would normally clap the man in the back, but in his current form he wasn't sure the appropriate location that correspond to Arno's back, so he hoped the words alone conveyed the encouragement.

• Options
    Jack watches with surprise as the spiders bob up to the surface, then skitter away. "...you know I wasn't being serious about talking to them, right?" He eyes the head spider, "Can't argue with results, though." He coaxes Mister Fusspot out of the kayak and picks it back up once more, still watching the arachnids around them warily.

"After you, oh spider whisperer."

• Options
    [THE UNDERWATER CAVERN]

Your journey under the hill continues, downhill and East. The silence is now oppressive. Your group travels unhindered in the dark wet tunnel for several more miles. Strike suddenly *HALTS* the group: sniffing and then diving down, he scouts ahead. The Rak’Ta returns back about five minutes later. “…zis iz za place I feared. There is a large cavern on za ozzer side of zis wall, but the whole area issss underwater now. And…*ARRRGH*,” Strike stops mid-sentence to pull an small, angry green ooze from his shoulder and fling it back down into the water. “…za sssslimesss have been driven down here and sssit at za edge of za cavern.”

[You must travel three hundred feet, completely underwater, to the other side of an ooze filled cavern, in the dark. Jack has potions which could trivialize the Water Breathing portion of the challenge for three of you, if he chooses to share them. Those who do not have Water Breathing must make a Constitution Check (DC 16) to make it to the other side of this cavern without partial drowning or Damage from the journey. In addition, you each must a Dexterity Saving Throw (DC 13) to avoid getting entangled by ooze on your swim through the cavern. Strike can be used to provide Advantage to *one* of you on this leg of the journey (apply Advantage to both rolls). Fusspot can be assumed to have found a safe (if wet) air bubble inside Jack’s Dread Helm]

• Options
    OOC:
    kvt9eqxi1n5i.png
    +
    yhdavj314820.png

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Jack nods and puts the kayak down, then rummages through his bag, "Well, good thing I won those water breathing portions at the faire!" He pulls out the three flasks and holds them up, "Okay, who needs one? Dibs."

He takes one with his other hand and keeps the rest held up in offer.

((OOC: Good ol' Lucky Jack! Can you tame ooze? ))

Glal on
  • Options
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Dex Saving Throw

Dex Saving Throw:
    1d20+3 8 [1d20=5]

• Options
    OOC: Attempts to tame, threaten, or otherwise persuade the green ooze will result in angry acidic kisses from the ends of groping tendrils greeting your attempt

• Options
    Oak turns down Jack's potions. "Rest a' you go ahead and take them. I'll be fine." Oak wraps the kayak tight against his back, ready to swim. "You all go first, I'll head up the back still."

OOC:I won't use potions or Strike. I have a +5 to con saves, and already get advantage on the Dex check thanks to Danger sense, so someone else claim the help.

• Options
    "Thank you Oak," Urixes says earnestly, "And thank you Jack. As a team we have all fared much better than others. Well, relatively. It hasn't been an easy journey by any stretch. But we're all alive." He downs a potion, then gets to swimming.

Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Dex Save

Dex Save:
    1d20+2 12 [1d20=10]

• Options
    *Chitter, chitter, clack clack*

The spider takes the proffered potion and...drinks? Without lips its hard to say exactly, but the potion is imbibed such it will take effect.

Still taking point the spider pushes ahead through the water, using its keen senses to try and chart the safest path through the underwater cavern.

Geth roll 1d20+2 avoiding ooze

Geth roll 1d20+2 only one who took advantage

avoiding ooze:
    1d20+2 7 [1d20=5]
    only one who took advantage:
    1d20+2 20 [1d20=18]

• Options
    OOC:Since I'm going last, is there anything I can roll to help out someone who failed the Dex check?

• Options
    OOC: Jack's 8 probably can't be helped, but maybe a Strength Check (DC 13) to give Urixes a bit of a push over the top could avoid the underwater ooze

• Options
    ((OOC: Jack doesn't need help, he's gathering more cute pets to bring along! ))

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Oak waits for the others to go first, then dives in after. He strains against the water to push himself through the passage. Up ahead he spots Urixes slowed near an ooze. As Oak swims to him, he tries to give a good shove to get the other man pushed up and away, further down the passage.

Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Str Check
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Con check
    Geth, roll 2d20k1+2 for Dex Check

Str Check:
    1d20+3 20 [1d20=17]
    Con check:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    Dex Check:
    2d20k1+2 19 [2d20k1=[17], 13]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    The Wild Bunch prepares, and then *dives down* into the underwater cave. The light is dim, and the water murky hard to navigate. The claustrophobia and oppressive weight of the water starts to unnerve even the most courageous of you as you travel along the 300 foot stretch. From the edges of the cave, green ooze lie in wait along the holes and grooves in the wall, lurking in the depths. They reach out with thin, grasping tendrils, attempting to drag you all down as you swim past. A group of them manage to grasp Jack for a few moments…Jack tugs and pulls, *SHOUTS* an unintelligible stream of bubbles before finally *WRENCHING* himself free. He grabs his kayak again and follows the group, his arms sporting clear, angry welts as he kicks his way to safety...

Geth roll 1d10 Acid Damage (Jack)

[BOARDED CAVE]

The group pulls themselves above the water in a large underwater cave. It’s similar in size (if not shape) from the cave you just swam through, but here the water only manages to come up to your waist. Letting Oak catch his breath, and checking on an (irate) Mister Fusspot, the Wild Bunch takes formation and warily explores the place. The only areas of note seem to be a few odd patches of “dry” land, and a few stalagmites breaking up the steady current. All of the water in the cave is drawn steadily towards a rushing sound in the South. As Strike and Arno follow the current to the corner of the cave, they find themselves coming upon a roughly made barricade of loose timber and rope, *jammed and wedged* into the wall. Someone has blocked the only exit out from this tunnel: an ancient, chipping red X is painted into the front of the wood.

As you all discuss your situation and decide how next to proceed, a vision slowly emerges from behind you to the North. Floating lanterns dance along the water, lighting the North End of the cave, coasting downstream...

Acid Damage (Jack):
    1d10 9 [1d10=9]

• Options
    Jack pushes up from the water and shakes his hurt arm, wincing, "I just wanted to pet them, they looked soft... Oh shoot." He fetches the slightly wet griffon out of the kayak and checks him over.

"So, um... what now?" He murmurs quietly to the group, looking around the cave, then over the barricade, "Through there? Think we could just burn through with a fire potion?" He goes quiet as light reflected off the water's surface illuminates the rest of the cave in a faint, flowing pattern. Slowly he pulls out his bow, spreading his attention between the rest of the group and this new 'threat'.

• Options
    Oak eyes the red 'X' before turning back to see the floating slights heading slowly towards them. "Hmph. Not likely to be friendly" he says, pulling his long sword and stepping towards the barrier. He swings his sword at the 'X', putting his weight behind the swing.

OOC:What should I roll here?

• Options
    OOC: Tearing down the wooden barricade will take a Strength Check (DC 13 or Greater) from *ALL* of you to break through it expeditiously. Jack can tell that it’s much too wet to attempt to light on fire . Strike doesn’t recognize this area from any of his limited knowledge of the Elwood.

The bobbing lanterns on the water are growing ever closer to the group, gently swaying their way down the current…

[ARNO]
    Arno’s Tremorsense is doing backflips right now; driving them nearly crazy. The area on the other side of this X-ed wall is alive and quaking with vibrations, stronger than anything you’ve yet felt down here. Arno can’t quite make out the shape of it (they actually mentioned something about this in the Formam Aquae…), but they *know* that something big is happening on the other side of this wall, that you haven’t experienced down here…

• Options
    *Chitter chitter, hsss*
    I like your thinking Jack, but this is a small cave, I don't think the smoke would do well for our lungs. Well, your lungs, spiders don't have lung lungs. But I think smoke would still be bad for me? Actually, I'm not even sure how I held my breath, it was like, trying to hold in excitement rather than breath. Anyway, incoming voices, maybe hide to see if they are friendly or foe? Hope you can figure that last part out when you see me do this.

Arno darts up the side of the cavern wall and nestles into the uneven roof, trying to disappear into the terrain and get the drop on anything below.

Geth roll 1d20+7 for Holy crap spiders are sneaky, did you see this stat block?

Holy crap spiders are sneaky, did you see this stat block?:
    1d20+7 27 [1d20=20]

• Options
    "Right, on three... one, two, THREE!"

Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Strength Check

((OOC: Are we sure Arno and Geth aren't the same person?))

Strength Check:
    1d20-1 17 [1d20=18]

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Geth, roll 1d20+3 for Strength Check

Edit: OOC:Sometimes the dice do things that just don't make sense.

Strength Check:
    1d20+3 11 [1d20=8]

AustinP0027 on