Options

[MCU] Shang Chi Trailer On Page 57

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Yes, all pointless because they do not exist in a time period they exist in a timeless past like the timeless present. They exist purely to be a before time so that explaining how things got here is not necessary.

SHIELD exists only insomuch as it needs to to facilitate any particular story and it’s activities are de minimis to facilitate that. When stark was brought onboard with the iron man stinger that was literally, at the time, the first project that SHIELD had undertaken.

Moreover it is like saying that the FBI existed before Hoover. I mean, it did technically exist in 1896. But it was not the FBI until ‘24.
    Edit: and all of this is ancillary to the fact that in black widow the Red Guardian is undertaking spy missions for the USSR in 1995 and then is imprisoned in the late 90s because of political maneuvering in “the party” as a way to sidestep thinking about what drakov means politically and what his motivations are.

Shivahn on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Shield absolutely existed in the 70s, Hank Pym and all that.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    We've literally given you multiple examples of major, high profile things SHIELD did through the years. If you want to ignore that stuff, that's your perogative, but you shouldn't be surprised when the MCU's content conflicts with this personal belief you have.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Yes, all pointless because they do not exist in a time period they exist in a timeless past like the timeless present. They exist purely to be a before time so that explaining how things got here is not necessary.

SHIELD exists only insomuch as it needs to to facilitate any particular story and it’s activities are de minimis to facilitate that. When stark was brought onboard with the iron man stinger that was literally, at the time, the first project that SHIELD had undertaken.

Moreover it is like saying that the FBI existed before Hoover. I mean, it did technically exist in 1896. But it was not the FBI until ‘24.

What? None of this makes any sense at all. Yes the continuity is being retroactively changed as time goes on. That is kind of meaningless though. We got the scene where Peggy leaves to create SHIELD with Howard Stark back in Phase 1. Bringing on Iron Man was never intended to be the start either since it was always leading to an Avengers movie with Captain America.

Beyond that we are talking about Black Widow.
    The SHIELD logo is clearly visible on the cars chasing Natasha et al. Red Guardian name checks that they were stealing from SHIELD. Captain Marvel is set in the same decade and SHIELD is clearly fully functioning. I will leave the further past examples alone. Indisputably it was SHIELD in that movie. Why are you arguing otherwise?

• Options
    Fun fact, the opening scene of Black Widow and Captain Marvel both take place in 1995 apparently. I thought I was conflating them, but nope.

Busy year for SHIELD.

• Options
    @Goumindong Can you please put the spoilers for the movie behind a spoiler tag?

• Options
    I cannot for a few hours. If a mod wants to do it I don’t mind

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ? If you have time to post you got time to edit, it's a similar amount of button presses lmao

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    The stinger at the end of Iron Man is Fury getting the ball rolling on the Avengers Initiative, an initiative under the wider SHIELD umbrella.

SHIELD had been in action for decades before that. Project Pegasus was a SHIELD project from Captain Marvel

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Use spoilers. It’s no one’s job but your own.

• Options
    Regarding the USSR existing in 1995 stuff;
    it's a comic book movie, so if something like Hydra surviving to infest SHIELD can happen, I can see some splinter USSR group continuing to operate past the demise of their government.

This splinter group managing to build a flying fortress that remains undetectable for god know how long? Yeah, that's just silly.

• Options
    ? If you have time to post you got time to edit, it's a similar amount of button presses lmao

I was on my phone (editing is not easy) and was about to go to the dentist (where I still am) and won’t be home for a few hours. I cannot edit posts in transit and can barely post.

I did not think that what I posted constituted spoilers and would have been happy to change things but literally cannot edit them right now.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    A general rule I go by: “Is the movie still in theaters?” If yes, spoilers.

And even then, still consider using them. It’s typically regarded as good manners.

• Options
    A general rule I go by: “Is the movie still in theaters?” If yes, spoilers.

And even then, still consider using them. It’s typically regarded as good manners.

I did spoiler things. I just didn't spoiler everything because not everything was directly talking about stuff that happened in the movie. I think i got what people wanted spoiler'd but maybe i missed things so let me know if i missed something.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MCU discussion is just in a weird place right now. Ideally we'd have a single thread and everything new would be spoiled, or we'd have an Open Spoilers MCU TV thread (like we do) and an MCU Movie thread that operated under similar rules (open spoilers), but that leaves out people who aren't up to date but want to talk about older MCU stuff.

I think what we've got is probably the best compromise. MCU TV thread with opens poilers, since you just need a $15 sub to get on that train, while the movie requires going outside during covid, or dropping $30 in addition to your $15, so those are closed spoilers for awhile.

• Options
    Regarding the USSR existing in 1995 stuff;
    it's a comic book movie, so if something like Hydra surviving to infest SHIELD can happen, I can see some splinter USSR group continuing to operate past the demise of their government.

This splinter group managing to build a flying fortress that remains undetectable for god know how long? Yeah, that's just silly.
    Its not about how silly it is. Its about how they just "don't talk about it". Talking about it would be fine. It could give Drakov a motivation[the motivating aspect for this discussion!] It would just be unpleasant for the brand.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MCU discussion is just in a weird place right now. Ideally we'd have a single thread and everything new would be spoiled, or we'd have an Open Spoilers MCU TV thread (like we do) and an MCU Movie thread that operated under similar rules (open spoilers), but that leaves out people who aren't up to date but want to talk about older MCU stuff.

I think what we've got is probably the best compromise. MCU TV thread with opens poilers, since you just need a $15 sub to get on that train, while the movie requires going outside during covid, or dropping $30 in addition to your $15, so those are closed spoilers for awhile.

Also movies are a more of a commitment where as a 30-40 min show once a week you can sit on and let build up, then binge when you want. So having the TV thread seperate allows people to ignore it until they have time to watch all 4 hours of Loki (or more for longer series). The MCU threads have always been a landmine for spoilers so my rule of thumb is to avoid it until I've seen the most recent movie, just in case anyways

• Options

More like a $8 sub actually. Not trying to nitpick here. I just want to make sure people get the prices right for planning purposes.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Edit: and all of this is ancillary to the fact that in black widow the Red Guardian is undertaking spy missions for the USSR in 1995 and then is imprisoned in the late 90s because of political maneuvering in “the party” as a way to sidestep thinking about what drakov means politically and what his motivations are.

This post is amazing in it's unwillingness to accept the mountains of proof heaped upon you to prove that SHIELD in fact did exist prior to the first Iron Man.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

I

What?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Retconning the past of its own universe is the last step in making the MCU like the comics.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    When they were making Iron Man, they did not have the plot of Black Widow ready, and I'd be surprised if any of the details were in a single design document either. That does not make Black Widow a retcon. Expanding on events that did not get covered previously is only a retcon if it's a flat-out contradiction of established facts, rather than a reinterpretation or different understanding.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I mean fuck, the Iron Man post credits scene is Fury showing up and outright telling Stark that all this shit has been going on behind the scenes already. Tony was just the only one naive or self-indulgent/destructive enough to bring it public.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

This post is amazing in it's unwillingness to accept the mountains of proof heaped upon you to prove that SHIELD in fact did exist prior to the first Iron Man.

How is this even a question? We've seen multiple points in time prior to the first Iron Man film with big fucking "SHIELD" emblems and letters on walls, the organization is at least something like twenty years older than the events of Iron Man, if not closer to 50-60 years old. They've literally typed out the dates for us and put them on the screen.

• Options
    The first Iron Man made it sound like SHIELD was new; Tony doesn't know who they are and they don't even have an acronym! Except they obviously do have an acronym and have been around long enough to have dealt with superheroes and have the Avengers Initiative. So Coulson was probably just being intentionally obtuse, possibly to gauge how aware of the larger universe of weirdness that Tony is for when Fury shows up.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Which would be one thing, if that had been the only MCU film. But there's been over twenty movies since then.

SHIELD is a minimum of 30-40 years old by the time Winter Soldier tears it all down.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    It's extra funny considering that, in the comics, SHIELD has been around since Leonardo DiVinci's time.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So currently even if you don’t count the Agent Carter or Agents of SHIELD series as MCU canon, you’ve still got scenes of SHIELD IN 1989 (flashback in Ant Man), 1970 (Fort Lehigh in Endgame), and the Agent Carter one-shot references the creation of SHIELD by Howard Stark shortly after the war.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It's extra funny considering that, in the comics, SHIELD has been around since Leonardo DiVinci's time.

I read this post fast while tired and I was like "Well, of course SHIELD predates the ninja turtles"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

I read this post fast while tired and I was like "Well, of course SHIELD predates the ninja turtles"

Canonically the ninja turtles came from the same wreck that gave Daredevil his powers (and blinded him). So figure that into your SHIELD timeline now too.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

They fought the Brood alongside Apocalypse. In ancient Egypt.

I mean, maybe not the MCU version. Not for a while, anyway.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    When they were making Iron Man, they did not have the plot of Black Widow ready, and I'd be surprised if any of the details were in a single design document either.

When they were making Iron Man, they did not even have a script.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Finally got around to Black Widow. Very good movie overall and a great send off. But man that very last scene
    I am thrilled that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is sewing chaos throughout the new MCU.

I really, really hope she's in it for the long haul. She is utterly perfect as a sleazy mastermind and I didn't know this was originally supposed to be her first appearance.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I liked Black Widow a lot. I just wish it had been made/released between Civil War and Black Panther so the whole part where she clearly gets through all of this without dying isn't a factor.

Fuck you Ike Perlmutter.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I mean, are there any Named MCU movies where you thought there was a possibility that the lead could actually die?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I mean, are there any Named MCU movies where you thought there was a possibility that the lead could actually die?
    Are there any named MCU movies where like 60% of the movie is actively setting up someone who can replace the lead in the MCU going forward? This movie was set up to hand the baton off to her sister, and you easily could've sat there watching it saying "wow, they might use this movie to replace Natasha" if you didn't already know how things end.

• Options
    Had Black Widow come out after Civil War, I still would have expected BW to survive since she was going to be in the next Avengers.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Saw Black Widow on Saturday, really enjoyed it.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved the supporting cast. Yelena will probably end up on the next Avengers team and I'm 100% for it.

Also
    MCU Taskmaster is better than the comic version. I hope she comes back in some form.

My guess for the next incarnation of the Avengers:
    -Captain America
    -Bucky
    -Black Panther
    -Captain Marvel
    -Yelena
    -Spider-Man
    -Scarlet Witch
    -Thor

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved the supporting cast. Yelena will probably end up on the next Avengers team and I'm 100% for it.

Also
    MCU Taskmaster is better than the comic version. I hope she comes back in some form.

Yeah, you're going to have to elaborate here. What about her complete lack of character makes her better than the version with character?

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »

Also
    Yeah, you're going to have to elaborate here. What about her complete lack of character makes her better than the version with character?
    A formerly mind-controlled child soldier trying to figure out what freedom means to her is a far more interesting character than Badass Mercenary Man #83.

This discussion has been closed.