As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] So many awesome new parts that no one can buy. %$*! scalpers.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    On another topic... my retro 1997 pc! So to update...

When last we met, the PSU I'd ordered sparked and died. I got a refund on that, and found someone local on Ebay to buy another period appropriate PSU from. With a -5V rail and everything. Actually came out cheaper than the first PSU.

Still, it's looking like the original ASUS TX97-E mobo is fried. I've attempted everything I can to breath some life into it. Pulled absolutely every component but the CPU, hoping for a "HEY YOU FORGOT THE MEMORY JACKASS!" post code. Nada. Swapped out the CMOS battery, as the old one was only pushing 0.05V according to my multimeter. Set the jumpers to discharge for an hour. Still nada.

Only thing I haven't tried is another CPU because I don't have one. One was supposed to show up today, but that seems to have been an optimistic delivery estimate.

I also strongly suspect the CA wildfires may be mucking up shipping? A lot of these old parts are shipping out of CA, and the tracking just goes totally dark for a week at a time.

I did win an auction for a Super Socket 7 motherboard for $15. Allegedly tested and working, shipping from Kiev. So that might be here November.

So my last hail mary attempt before I declare this mobo dead is popping in a Pentium 133 mhz into it, whenever it gets here. Then I'm asking for a refund. Is it fair to ask for a refund? I donno. I mean I'm pretty sure the PSU killed it. But then again, I also never saw it actually work in the first place. And dead is dead. Plus it's almost $100 I could really use back.

I think the most frustrating part of all this is how long it takes parts to get here. I wish I had anywhere local to go scrounging, but I haven't found a single such place anywhere near me.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I love Steve
    cqa9yb7t2veu.png

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    You could tell demand was going to be bonkers here as soon as the reveal stream happened and everyone lost their mind over the specs. I can't remember who said it, but we essentially have everyone looking to upgrade their card now, which is not generally the case for a new generation of GPUs.

Probably was to late in the cycle to increase production that much by that point.

The 3080s, Playstations and Xboxs will come. We are facing a way of vastly increased demand in a world where supply chains are being tested by Covid. I get that people are upset they dont have a new toy to play with, I get as I'm out of luck on both a PS5 and 3080. But at the same time, I realize that this drive to get things first, but this day 1 fomo is terrible for consumers. It allows people to deliver unfinished products to the market that will be bought up anyway. Nowadays I expect servers to crash on launch for games and hardware to be sold out.

I guess what I'm saying is it's okay to be mad and upset about it. Everyone here has been reasonable IMO. I have seen some nuclear takes on reddit and twitter, I think that's who this is aimed at.

Then setup preorders? This is a perfect time to say "Hey, because of COVID some things are not where we expect to be, so to our loyal consumers we want to give you the right experience when it comes to our products. We will setup preorders and while they are not a guarantee of a card on launch day, they are a guarantee of your place in line, and we'll update you weekly on our production progress so you can understand when you'll get your card". Take 50 bucks a person for a spot, make money off the float and everyone reasonable is happy about the whole situation. This is not rocket surgery, this is basic stuff.

They chose the opposite of that - "let's drum up lots of interest and do absolutely NOTHING to prepare our storefront or partners for bad behavior".

Oh, parts are already bought, received and sitting in my basement as I assumed things were at least as good as the last time I built a comp service/supply wise. Apparently companies have forgotten how to do business in the past 5 years.

I'm not saying dont be mad, they totally messed up this launch.

Again, not directed to anyone here, but some people are going crazy with the news that they wont have a 3080 anytime soon. Way out of proportion mad.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Very unlikely to actually have a material impact longterm, way more people are buying these cards than are taking their business elsewhere because of this.

Correct, but again - why do this poorly? If you continually ignore your customers someone will take the from you.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm now wondering if I should start ordering the case, memory, ssd, and more minor/cosmetic stuff before the Ryzen 3 launch. Granted, with the way things are going it might not be until November to January when the CPU, motherboards and 3080 have enough in stock to get the exact models I want. It might be completely unnecessary but it would be nice to have some of the other core components on hand in case those start being hard to come by.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I love Steve
    cqa9yb7t2veu.png

"It's just a video card so calm down" says internet guy who was given one for free weeks ago.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I love Steve
    cqa9yb7t2veu.png

"It's just a video card so calm down" says internet guy who was given one for free weeks ago.

His home computer is running a GTX 760 or some other ancient shit, dudes not a gamer.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Very unlikely to actually have a material impact longterm, way more people are buying these cards than are taking their business elsewhere because of this.

Correct, but again - why do this poorly? If you continually ignore your customers someone will take the from you.

Where?

This is happening literally everywhere with every company that releases high demand products.

Apple, Nike, Sony, Intel, Nvidia, Samsung, AMD.

Where will you take your business?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I love Steve
    cqa9yb7t2veu.png

His home computer is running a GTX 760 or some other ancient shit, dudes not a gamer.

he doesn't understand the struggle of playing fs2020 then

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I love Steve
    cqa9yb7t2veu.png

I mean

They do benchmarks of FS2020 with different cards so I don't even know what this comment means

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Shitty paper launches have been a thing since forever, the 3080 debacle isn't the first and won't be the last. So your only other option is AMD and if you think you're not going to see similar things with their next-gen cards...

which means it's Intel day to shine XE GANG RISE UP

• Options
    I mean, it is just a graphics card.

And he got one for testing. Idk what you would prefer, companies not send out cards for independent testing? So that we have no way to verify their claims before the product is sold?

• Options
    I love Steve
    cqa9yb7t2veu.png

I mean

They do benchmarks of FS2020 with different cards so I don't even know what this comment means

shhh I'm meme-ing

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I mean, it is just a graphics card.

And he got one for testing. Idk what you would prefer, companies not send out cards for independent testing? So that we have no way to verify their claims before the product is sold?

According to at least one person, yes this would be preferable because it's all a hype train.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So how many pages of arguing about the backlash and the backlash to the backlash are we going to do this time before everyone mellows out, do we think?

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    So how many pages of arguing about the backlash and the backlash to the backlash are we going to do this time before everyone mellows out, do we think?

Until most of us get the new shiny

• Options
    I'm going to lean hard on a hardware supplier to see if they can't source me at least one since I'm about to drop a little more than 10k on some new hardware at my workplace.

Will this work out for me? y/n

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm going to lean hard on a hardware supplier to see if they can't source me at least one since I'm about to drop a little more than 10k on some new hardware at my workplace.

Will this work out for me? y/n

Might, actually. They likely get an allotment from Nvidia as a commercial partner and won't be vulmerable to bottage.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The one nice thing is it seems like none of the eBay listings really have bids.

I guess also there are internet people just running up the listings with fake bids.

After I couldn’t get any, I went to Canada Computers, a fairly large retailer here. Apparently only a couple stores got cards and it was 1 or 2. I guess overall stock was reallllly low.

Dixon on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Where?

This is happening literally everywhere with every company that releases high demand products.

Apple, Nike, Sony, Intel, Nvidia, Samsung, AMD.

Where will you take your business?

It's more for resellers like newegg. However, there's a reason why most people have their eyes on EVGA, as they had a limit 1 per household.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Is there a consensus around which of the AIB cards are your best best? Was thinking the ASUS TUF

• Options
    Is there a consensus around which of the AIB cards are your best best? Was thinking the ASUS TUF

I saw a review on it and it looks solid.

EVGA's usually a good bet.

I don't think any of them are really bad... I'm not sure if Nvidia has a comparable board partner to, say AMD's XFX.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Shitty paper launches have been a thing since forever, the 3080 debacle isn't the first and won't be the last. So your only other option is AMD and if you think you're not going to see similar things with their next-gen cards...

which means it's Intel day to shine XE GANG RISE UP

Typical disclaimer, but Tigerlake also launched yesterday and it was fun to see the graphics portions of reviews for that one >_>

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    EVGA is my preferred brand for cards. Their customer service is by all accounts, heads and tails over everyone else. For raw quality, ASUS sounds about as good or better than anyone else based off past reviews.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Yeah probably tuf for the low end and ftw3 (no one has a strix to test yet) for the high end.

Or eeally, just whatever you can get

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    To continue this from the last thread:
    I notice on various sites (Best Buy, for one) 3080s are starting to pile up 1 star reviews now from people angry they couldn't nab one...
    I think the GN video where he talks about people having an almost unhealthily angry reaction to not being able to get a piece of consumer hardware is on point.

It's a video card. The bot scalpers didn't just jack supplies of insulin.
    Didn't GN also hype up the 3080?
    If by "its a pretty good product and mostly lives up to the claims" you mean hype up, sure.
    I'm saying that participating in the hype machine then turning around with "y u mad bro?" is a shitty look.

I think it's an incredible stretch to say Steve was "participating in the hype machine". Was he supposed to just not report on the 3080 at all? He's had an incredibly balanced, wait and see, approach to these cards every time he's talked about them. The only way he could be less a part of the hype machine would have been to simply not report on them, which would've been kind of silly don't you think?

His messaging and hype level have been super consistent, and very much on the tame side. I think he has every right to call people out. I'm not sure I fully agree with him, but if anyone has had the consistent messaging around this and is in a position to call people out for being irrationally angry about a consumer good it's Steve.
    It's not a stretch, it's simple cause and effect. He's participating in the media blitz hyping up the 3080. Yes, it's his job to chase trends and follow the algorithm and get those clicks (like and subscribe!). But it's not his job to punch down on people that feel burned by the media blitz he participated in.

Sure, it's not insulin. Nobody's gonna die from not getting a 3080. But if it's something you were looking forward to - which, this is 2020, anything good to look forward to is a welcome reprieve - then not being able to get one, having the entire stock sell out in moments, then seeing it all on eBay for 2x+ the price? It's shit. It's OK to be mad about that shit. It's OK to post angrily to a message board or Reddit about that shit.

To follow the simile: folk upset about not being able to get a 3080 aren't killing anyone.

So you're saying his only way to win, in your eyes, was not to play? I think that's a completely ridiculous stance, which takes the broadest possible view of "the hype train" and lacks any sort of nuance or actual contextual analysis of GN's content on the 3080.

That said, it's an opinion you're certainly within your rights to hold as much as we're well within our rights to think is pretty goosey.

Nope, I'm saying that if you play the game don't shit on the people who wanted to participate. It's goosey as fuck.

The people mad about not being able to get a 3080 are the same people that watched 3080 reviews, that are driving the algorithm to recommend 3080 videos, that probably watch another video in the series, which all kicks back to the YouTubers making these videos.

It's shitting on your audience. Like a baseball player calling the folk who watch baseball idiots. Or a musician mocking their listeners.

Don't profit off people then tell them to calm down when they can't participate with the thing you're advertising.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ah, I see. So if I'm a film critic and I say that a film is, "Really good, but not something you need to go out and see right away in theaters", and it is so popular that people can't get seats to watch it, then it's my fault for feeding into the hype machine by putting out a review of the film. And I totally can't criticize people who are desperately trying to watch an above-average-but-not-amazing film.

Makes total sense.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Ah, I see. So if I'm a film critic and I say that a film is, "Really good, but not something you need to go out and see right away in theaters", and it is so popular that people can't get seats to watch it, then it's my fault for feeding into the hype machine by putting out a review of the film. And I totally can't criticize people who are desperately trying to watch an above-average-but-not-amazing film.

Makes total sense.
    If you're a film critic that got to go out and see a limited edition premier of the movie, and you use that experience to produce multiple hours of content for your YouTube channel, and you release those videos at the height of the media blitz to try to profit off of it as best as you can

then for some reason people can't see the movie, and are mad about it

yes, you are a goose if you say "look at these idiots trying to see a movie, it's not insulin, they should calm down."

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Providing reviews for products is now shitting on the audience.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    This feels personal.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    This feels personal.

"That YouTube channel wants people to watch its factually accurate videos for MONEY" is one hell of an indictment as well.

Apparently everyone's in on it.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    This feels personal.

"That YouTube channel wants people to watch its factually accurate videos for MONEY" is one hell of an indictment as well.

is... is that not how youtube works and literally everyone is in on that mechanism of reimbursement?

• Options
    This feels personal.

is... is that not how youtube works and literally everyone is in on that mechanism of reimbursement?

No see you're missing the bribes Nvidia gives the channels to pump up the hype machine so *checks notes* people can get pissed off at them not having enough stock.

• Options
    I mean they do tho

they send them shit to pimp out

and then people get pissed because there's not enough stock after everyone hypes it because they didn't do shit to combat a few dozen people buying up almost the entire supply

• Options
    What's an AIB card?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I mean they do tho

and then people get pissed because there's not enough stock after everyone hypes it because they didn't do shit to combat a few dozen people buying up almost the entire supply

Both AMD and Nvidia also send the reviewers actual shit that the reviewers rag on...because that's what reviewers do. That this generation of cards is actually good doesn't mean that the reviewers are in on some hype conspiracy.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I mean they do tho

The alternative clearly being, what, pretend it didn't happen and give people zero info?

• Options
    I know when I'm looking to purchase a 700 dollar piece of hardware, the last thing I need is some jackass on youtube showing actual performance numbers.

Fuck charts.

• Options
    You seem really pissy about absolutely nothing bro.

I'm on your side I'm just explaining that they are absolutely being bribed, whether they're impartial or not is another story. Do I trust Linus and Jayz and Tech Jesus to be impartial reviewers? Sure.

Am I going to pretend like they're saints and not getting free shit constantly to try and push on us? Absolutely not. Some of the benchmarking websites have been caught doing shady shit because someone offered them a buck, no one is immune to that. Don't put anyone on a pedestal because you're angry about nerds being nerds who are angry about assholes being assholes.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    You seem really pissy about absolutely nothing bro.

I'm on your side I'm just explaining that they are absolutely being bribed, whether they're impartial or not is another story. Do I trust Linus and Jayz and Tech Jesus to be impartial reviewers? Sure.

Am I going to pretend like they're saints and not getting free shit constantly to try and push on us? Absolutely not. Some of the benchmarking websites have been caught doing shady shit because someone offered them a buck, no one is immune to that. Don't put anyone on a pedestal because you're angry about nerds being nerds who are angry about assholes being assholes.

What does "push on us" actually mean?

Everyone here is an adult with agency and their own mind.

I ask: what's your alternative? How do we get actual data and info on these devices by launch that doesn't somehow fuel a "hype train"?

jungleroomx on
This discussion has been closed.