Options

Supreme Court Vacancy

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    For the record, since Clarence Thomas in 1991 (99 days) SCOTUS confirmations have lasted between 50 days (Ginsburg) and 88 days (Kavanaugh). 60-70 seems to be the average.

It looks like RBG communicated to the White House she was on the way out, and they have a list of names ready to go, so they could conceivably do this quicker.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    For the record, since Clarence Thomas in 1991 (99 days) SCOTUS confirmations have lasted between 50 days (Ginsburg) and 88 days (Kavanaugh). 60-70 seems to be the average.

It looks like RBG communicated to the White House she was on the way out, and they have a list of names ready to go, so they could conceivably do this quicker.

I'd be fine with waiting 10 weeks for an appointment since even considering how shittty the picks are going to be there is no way that Mitch waits until biden is sworn in, particularly not if he thinks he is loosing his gavel/seat in 2021.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It should be noted that Congress needs to pass a CR by the end of the month to keep the lights on

If I was a Dem in the house I'd be caucusing to shutdown the government until a new Congress comes in

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    It should be noted that Congress needs to pass a CR by the end of the month to keep the lights on

If I was a Dem in the house I'd be caucusing to shutdown the government until a new Congress comes in

This is an incredibly dangerous move right now; the federal government (despite it's horrible leadership) is dealing with multiple critical issues right now and shutting down the government to protect an SC pick would result in untold havoc for millions of americans given that you have major fires, a pandemic, large scale protests, hurricane season and the post office struggling to handle it's duties (which can include delivering medication and votes).

To say nothing of course, of how this would be perceived in an election year.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, the Senate does not shut down.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Given this administration, I would not be surprised if they did an extremely poor job vetting the potential nominees.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Aint got much to say about this that's printable, so I'll just keep it to: I hope this turns out better than it looks like it's going to.

Also, fuck you, 2020. Fuck you.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Given this administration, I would not be surprised if they did an extremely poor job vetting the potential nominees.

Trump doesn't do the vetting. The Federalist Society does. Or did, since it's already been done. Trump just has to pick a name from a list.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Trump doesn't do the vetting. The Federalist Society does. Or did, since it's already been done. Trump just has to pick a name from a list.

I would be surprised if they did much vetting besides how much they hate liberals.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Didn't matter last time. Ain't going to matter now.

Republicans are very close to securing a generations worth of power over the courts. They're not going to let a bad nominee stop them now.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Re: the doomsaying/general malaise at this news I am seeing here and elsewhere

Take a moment to grieve for RBG and her accomplishments. God knows McConnell isn't going to; her body wasn't even cold before he announced his cynical power grab.

Then, use that grief and anger and honor her memory by translating it to action. It's a goddamn election year. Get off your ass and do something. Donate to a Senate race that is close. Call your senators even if you don't think they'll listen. If you live somewhere where protests will be happening, go to those. I live in Abilene Fucking Texas, the reddest of the red, and last night I sent $25 to ActBlue for races that aren't even happening locally. You don't even have to get up from your computer to help. $25 doesn't seem like much but if everybody who is despairing over this sent in a little bit those races would get much more competitive. If you want to do more, they give you the option of being contacted for volunteer work as well.

If you live in a blue state, it's even more important for you to contact your senators and tell them that you support blocking this nomination at any cost. Tell them you are their constituent and you want them to pack the motherfucking court. If Democrats don't hear from voters that they want drastic action taken, then they will default to listening to our terrible media describing such actions as horrible overreach.

But that's the thing guys. The SCOTUS is a fucking travesty right now, and will get even worse when Trump gets another fucking pick. There are things we can do, both as a party and as individuals, to rectify this. When the opposition consists of hypocritical power-hungry fascists, drastic action isn't just justified, it's mandatory.

TL;DR: Be sad that a feminist icon has passed away, and then get mad that her death is being used to enable fascism; then, use that anger to do something about it

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They've already said that Amy Coney Barrett was being saved for RBG. She's 48 and has all your typical views.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

This is an incredibly dangerous move right now; the federal government (despite it's horrible leadership) is dealing with multiple critical issues right now and shutting down the government to protect an SC pick would result in untold havoc for millions of americans given that you have major fires, a pandemic, large scale protests, hurricane season and the post office struggling to handle it's duties (which can include delivering medication and votes).

how exactly are we defining 'dealing with critical issues' Is doing nothing considered 'dealing with?'

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I mean, it's heading after Roe v. Wade for sure. But it's very definitely heading toward a reversal of Obergefell v. Hodges as well. Let's not ignore that this is also still an explicit part of the Republican platform. Gay marriage is back on the ballot now for 2020.

Oh for certain. This is only the start.

I've been terrified for the last 14 hours because of what's going to happen to trans folks. I don't think it's an exaggeration to presume the worst will happen to us.

Yeah, I know it's a hard thing to consider, but GTFO seems like a not unreasonable option. Because I'd be concerned ot could go very badly.

Unless you have a strong and encompassing social network and a job that's already overwhelmingly accepting (and not just "tolerant"), emigration out of the country, or at least to a rock solid blue state, might be the only safe choice.

Short of Biden winning and the Republicans having integrity (not all of them, just four), I can see this going badly for a lot of non-hetero white demographics.

GTFO isn't in the cards. We're a plague nation and getting out isn't possible for another year at best.

• Options

I'm well aware of that, but frankly if democrats want to actually push against a SCOTUS replacement they need to use the negotiating power that they have.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I mean, it's heading after Roe v. Wade for sure. But it's very definitely heading toward a reversal of Obergefell v. Hodges as well. Let's not ignore that this is also still an explicit part of the Republican platform. Gay marriage is back on the ballot now for 2020.

I've been terrified for the last 14 hours because of what's going to happen to trans folks. I don't think it's an exaggeration to presume the worst will happen to us.

Yeah, I know it's a hard thing to consider, but GTFO seems like a not unreasonable option. Because I'd be concerned ot could go very badly.

Unless you have a strong and encompassing social network and a job that's already overwhelmingly accepting (and not just "tolerant"), emigration out of the country, or at least to a rock solid blue state, might be the only safe choice.

Short of Biden winning and the Republicans having integrity (not all of them, just four), I can see this going badly for a lot of non-hetero white demographics.

GTFO isn't in the cards. We're a plague nation and getting out isn't possible for another year at best.

This is a primary concern for me. Borders are basically closed until the pandemic is handled... And that's going to be... yeah, yikes.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

how exactly are we defining 'dealing with critical issues' Is doing nothing considered 'dealing with?'

There is still some level of activity occuring to help deal with these issues. It isn't good and quite frankly infuriating that it is what it is, but shutting down funding entirely would halt whatever nominal good is there as it is, and I will remind you that when hurricanes start belting the coast and wrecking cities you *will* want to do everything you can to help those people even if they are from the county of Conservastan, city of Hangaliberal because they are your fellow citizens and screwing them over in an election year would be a powerful talking points for republicans to use against the democrats for years.

And as others have pointed out, it wouldn't actually stop mitch from confirming ted cruz to the SC.

• Options

I'm well aware of that, but frankly if democrats want to actually push against a SCOTUS replacement they need to use the negotiating power that they have.

I don't think they have that power anyway. The Senate doesn't need the House to do this and holding the government hostage over the issue is both potentially a losing issue for them and also, given their inability to get shit done anyway, potentially not even a real threat. Kinda like threatening a jumper that they need to step back from the ledge or you'll push them.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I don't think they have that power anyway. The Senate doesn't need the House to do this and holding the government hostage over the issue is both potentially a losing issue for them and also, given their inability to get shit done anyway, potentially not even a real threat. Kinda like threatening a jumper that they need to step back from the ledge or you'll push them.

You may be right, and I'm not political strategist. But my point is really that democrats need to start playing the same game.

Another thing I've seen is people saying that senate impeachment resolutions (house impeaches say Bill Barr and sends it to the senate) is privileged over SCOTUS nominees.

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

This is a primary concern for me. Borders are basically closed until the pandemic is handled... And that's going to be... yeah, yikes.

Eh there're still a few counties letting us in, Ireland and Croatia are still allowing it and I've seen stories of Americans using them as a backdoor to Europe... still, not many options at the moment and none of them good.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    https://www.vox.com/21446198/democrats-ruth-bader-ginsburg-trump-supreme-court-packing

Vox article saying the same thing that i was saying earlier:

Court packing is the only option, both as a defense and a remedy. Democrats need to be very, very loud about this this.

• Options
    Nadler is out for court packing if they rush a confirmation in the lame duck. He's chair of House Judiciary so highly relevant to the process.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    New York Times, paywalled

Sen. Lindsey Graham signaled that he would backtrack from his vow in 2016 that Supreme Court vacancies should not be filled during a presidential election year and would indeed be willing to move a nominee before the election. https://t.co/miqmlEqDPZ https://t.co/L4tiUgVG1T

So there it is. Hopefully this will cost him his seat.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    The only thing that really keeps me going is even if they "win" and repeal Roe v Wade, they don't win. That's what this still ultimately boils down to. Republican policies just flat out don't work, Reality has demonstrated time and time again that there is a need for abortions. Conservatives and Liberals alike get them. So even if they "win" and repeal it, this in no way ends things, Republicans just end up with more blood on their hands.

You just go down the line. stripping LGBTQ protections and rights don't work. Trump's recent plan to implement "Patriotic curriculum" in schools is again ultimately going to turn people against the right wing. And on and on and on.

This isn't a fight between the left's opinion vs the right's opinion, This is a fight for ideas that work vs ideas that don't work, even if you lose the fight, it still ultimately corrects itself, just in a more painful, bloodier fashion.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    The only thing that really keeps me going is even if they "win" and repeal Roe v Wade, they don't win. That's what this still ultimately boils down to. Republican policies just flat out don't work, Reality has demonstrated time and time again that there is a need for abortions. Conservatives and Liberals alike get them. So even if they "win" and repeal it, this in no way ends things, Republicans just end up with more blood on their hands.

You just go down the line. stripping LGBTQ protections and rights don't work. Trump's recent plan to implement "Patriotic curriculum" in schools is again ultimately going to turn people against the right wing. And on and on and on.

This isn't a fight between the left's opinion vs the right's opinion, This is a fight for ideas that work vs ideas that don't work, even if you lose the fight, it still ultimately corrects itself, just in a more painful, bloodier fashion.

It's not about making it outright impossible to get an abortion.

It's about having legal standing to punish "the right" people for getting one or providing one.

• Options

This presumes the continuance of majority democracy. Which...we already don't really have. Those are the reforms we need immediately and a 6-3 Roberts court will make those extremely difficult.

• Options

This presumes the continuance of majority democracy. Which...we already don't really have. Those are the reforms we need immediately and a 6-3 Roberts court will make those extremely difficult.

Wisconsin is the test bed for what the GOP wants to do to the rest of America basically.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular

They don't care about blood on their hands, and their base doesn't care about blood on their hands, either.

If their plans don't work, it won't be because they're wrong, it'll be because they weren't screwing people hard enough; it'll be because the Other was messing things up for them. So they just need to 'take care' of them, and everything will be great.

I don't think I need to name any specific group for people to understand the parallel, here.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options

It's about having legal standing to punish "the right" people for getting one or providing one.

You're missing my point. That's irrelevant, no matter who you punish, it doesn't change the fact that there is still a demand for abortion. Punishments and legality doesn't change that. We already tried outlawing abortions once, How well did that work out? Maybe that's why we legalized them in the first place?

• Options

You're missing my point. That's irrelevant, no matter who you punish, it doesn't change the fact that there is still a demand for abortion. Punishments and legality doesn't change that. We already tried outlawing abortions once, How well did that work out? Maybe that's why we legalized them in the first place?

Okay, but, like, ...so? Like is you're point that even if we lose and the GOP destroys the country, well at least we can say I told you so? I don't understand where you're going with this

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Okay, but, like, ...so? Like is you're point that even if we lose and the GOP destroys the country, well at least we can say I told you so? I don't understand where you're going with this

i think the point is the culture war the GOP is fighting they have largely already lost, so these power plays are merely delaying the inevitable

it's a slim thread of longer term optimism

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

i think the point is the culture war the GOP is fighting they have largely already lost, so these power plays are merely delaying the inevitable

It really fuckin isn't, and this kind of fuckin hubris is why we've ended up where we are. We're not at all guaranteed to eventually win.

• Options

We have a winner.

• Options
    I don't think it is or ever really was a culture war. It's about power. The culture war is just a mask, one they won't need to wear much longer.

It was never about small government, it was about their government. It was never about their professed values, it was about them.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

It really fuckin isn't, and this kind of fuckin hubris is why we've ended up where we are. We're not at all guaranteed to eventually win.

it's not hubris, it's hope

public opinion is solidly against everything the GOP stands for

the point isn't to stop pushing forward, the point is to see there's a light at the end of the tunnel

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Nadler is out for court packing if they rush a confirmation in the lame duck. He's chair of House Judiciary so highly relevant to the process.

Your wording makes it sound like he's against it, but people are awesoming this post, and i can't find any actual headlines. What am i missing?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I don't think it is or ever really was a culture war. It's about power. The culture war is just a mask, one they won't need to wear much longer.

It was never about small government, it was about their government. It was never about their professed values, it was about them.

I think it was originally a culture war, but is now just power for power's sake.

• Options

Your wording makes it sound like he's against it, but people are awesoming this post, and i can't find any actual headlines. What am i missing?

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I think it was originally a culture war, but is now just power for power's sake.

No, you're wrong. It's still a culture war, they just lied about what the culture was based on.

• Options

The point I'm trying to make is that they don't care that punishments and legality don't reduce abortion rates. They don't care that the demand will still exist, because that's not their objective.

They want to find The Other getting abortions and use that as an excuse to punish them, while the privileged that continue to get abortions will suffer no consequences.

There's no desire to actually halt abortions - There's plenty of desire to appeal to their base on this red meat issue and use the eventual legal battle to harm minorities and the disenfranchised.

The cruelty is the point.