I Really Hope the [Kids] are alright

24567

Posts

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Rant in void incoming:

    My partner wants to do right by joining us on a visit to the farmer's market, but she gets stressed from it and Little King gets a bit to excited and before I know it she is screaming at him and he is being extra difficult with putting his coat on. Once we are out the door Little King calms down and sticks to his mom, but I am just left sad and vigilant for my partner overexerting herself and lashing out against Little King. I can barely discuss this with my partner because she'll either stay crying over how difficult it was or asking if she just shouldn't come with us any more. Therapy helps, but at this rate it is not fast enough for my well-being.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Tiny Wonder blew out his diaper this morning, so I had to give him a bath to clean him off (he loves baths!), but he shit up that bath, so I had to drain it and give him a new one to clean that shit off, which I just returned to after opening up all the windows and he has shit it up yet a third time.

    ElvenshaeBanzai5150MNC DoverKalnaurJaysonFourDisruptedCapitalistAldoTefMegaMan001DixondavidsdurionsplufimSporkAndrewSlacker71
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My husband is very squeamish around poop. He would change diapers, but really had a hard time dealing with anything else. Our youngest would frequently relieve himself in the bath, and I just took it upon myself to do his bath times. Now our son is potty trained, and bath time has been poop- free for a while.
    I still do the baths, but am so glad that I don't have to deal with that anymore. It's just so... hard to clean

    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    ElvenshaeMNC DoverKalnaurDisruptedCapitalist
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Tiny Wonder blew out his diaper this morning, so I had to give him a bath to clean him off (he loves baths!), but he shit up that bath, so I had to drain it and give him a new one to clean that shit off, which I just returned to after opening up all the windows and he has shit it up yet a third time.

    The hell did y'all feed him?

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    My son has never pooped in the bath, and dang, I can't imagine doing it all the time.

    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Devlin_DragonusRanlinadejaan
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Tiny Wonder blew out his diaper this morning, so I had to give him a bath to clean him off (he loves baths!), but he shit up that bath, so I had to drain it and give him a new one to clean that shit off, which I just returned to after opening up all the windows and he has shit it up yet a third time.

    The hell did y'all feed him?

    Pizza, gucamole and tortilla chips, vanilla protein shake, slice of cheddar, waffle with syrup, popsicle, goldfish crackers, apple cider, almond milk, fruit snacks?

    Elvenshaechr1sh4ll3ttb3KalnaurDisruptedCapitalistBrodySlacker71
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    My son has never pooped in the bath, and dang, I can't imagine doing it all the time.

    It has only happened to me once, knock on wood. I'm glad it was at the end of the bath. She stood up did a little half-squat and suddenly poop. I managed to yank her out of the tub, wrapped her body in a towel and used a baby wipe to clean her bottom off just in case. With the poop being super soft & this tub not having a removable drain grate made for a very not fun time cleaning up. Pretty sure the bathroom smelled like bleach for a solid day and a half afterwards!

  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Rant in void incoming:

    My partner wants to do right by joining us on a visit to the farmer's market, but she gets stressed from it and Little King gets a bit to excited and before I know it she is screaming at him and he is being extra difficult with putting his coat on. Once we are out the door Little King calms down and sticks to his mom, but I am just left sad and vigilant for my partner overexerting herself and lashing out against Little King. I can barely discuss this with my partner because she'll either stay crying over how difficult it was or asking if she just shouldn't come with us any more. Therapy helps, but at this rate it is not fast enough for my well-being.

    What's the source of the stress? Is it something that can be controlled, like your partner can just shadow you and Little King at the Farmer's Market until they get more comfortable?

    Either way, sorry to hear about that. My wife gets stressed fast and is hard for her shake it once it starts. I'm kind of the opposite as it takes me longer to get overly stressed and I can typically "unwind" faster. But once I'm stressed, I'm far more intense (loud and angry) which is it's own problem.

    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Kalnaur
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    My husband is very squeamish around poop. He would change diapers, but really had a hard time dealing with anything else. Our youngest would frequently relieve himself in the bath, and I just took it upon myself to do his bath times. Now our son is potty trained, and bath time has been poop- free for a while.
    I still do the baths, but am so glad that I don't have to deal with that anymore. It's just so... hard to clean

    We use cloth diapers. I was very worried that when T started solids that the poops would turn me off continuing to use them.

    Fortunately, I have persisted. And I am now immune to poop. Or, at least, I don’t mind it nearly as much as I did in the earlier days.

    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    Devlin_Dragonuschr1sh4ll3ttb3ElvenshaeplufimPeen
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Rant in void incoming:

    My partner wants to do right by joining us on a visit to the farmer's market, but she gets stressed from it and Little King gets a bit to excited and before I know it she is screaming at him and he is being extra difficult with putting his coat on. Once we are out the door Little King calms down and sticks to his mom, but I am just left sad and vigilant for my partner overexerting herself and lashing out against Little King. I can barely discuss this with my partner because she'll either stay crying over how difficult it was or asking if she just shouldn't come with us any more. Therapy helps, but at this rate it is not fast enough for my well-being.

    What's the source of the stress? Is it something that can be controlled, like your partner can just shadow you and Little King at the Farmer's Market until they get more comfortable?

    Either way, sorry to hear about that. My wife gets stressed fast and is hard for her shake it once it starts. I'm kind of the opposite as it takes me longer to get overly stressed and I can typically "unwind" faster. But once I'm stressed, I'm far more intense (loud and angry) which is it's own problem.
    thanks

    She doesn't get that she should just be there and we expect nothing in particular from her. She gets stressed by loud noises as well, so a 4 year old excitedly stomping around the place is already putting her on edge. She also has issues with the role she can play when we are both there with the kid, as if she should be active and funny when all we need is for her to just be there.

  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    it's very very hard to get to the point of understanding 'just be there'.

    especially when society is so very much "mom must be the superhero and do everything and is the center of the world". it's hard to not feel that pressing weight on your shoulders. Especially out in public. When you just *know* that everybody is watching you, judging you. What a terrible mother you are, not controlling your child. What a loud and obnoxious child that is, why is that Mother not doing anything? She must be a terrible Mother.

    Add in already having anxiety issues and it's basically a time bomb waiting to go off. The stress and tension just at the thought of going out is intense, add in an active four year old just heightens it.

    I had very similar issues with Ellie. Our local Mall does late nights on Thursday and Friday. We used to go on Thursday nights and I would be wound tighter than a drum and I'd hate it and have such a miserable time. Because I was so uptight about it being a 'school' night and how we'd do the mall and then get home and Ellie would need time to wind down and then it's past bedtime and she's impossible to get to sleep and I must just be the worst at being a mother because I can't figure out how to balance this.

    We've switched to Mall Night being on Friday (mostly because I have my sign language classes on Thursdays) and it's so much better. Not having worry about getting her up for school the next morning, or really worrying about bedtime. It's been so good for my being able to enjoy it.


    It can be very daunting being a not 'typical' mother in a world society that expects so much. it's hard to be that Mother when you don't have other mental health issues. it's even harder when there's more on top.


    Hang in there Aldo.

    MNC Dover
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    She had identified that aspiring to ” just being perfect" is an unhealthy aspect of her, at least. You are right though, parents are judged harshly in society.

    It just manifests itself during benign shit and her behavior during those times can be dangerous for Little King. She has been trying to redirect her anger at anything but our child, but even that is hard for her. I get panic attacks from it all.

    lonelyahavaMNC Dover
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    that's totally understandable.

    I wish I had better suggestions than just keep trying. i know that me taking a herbal supplement called Vitex to help ease my hormones helped me out *immensely* with my drama mama tendencies. But it definitely hasn't helped everything and I'm still prone to those mood swings at the worst possible time.

    I'm around if you wanna chat or something.

    MNC DoverAldo
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I can't believe they had planned for an episode of Bluey that feature some of the Friendship is Magic characters, but I totally understand why it got scrapped
    it turned into too much of a dog and pony show

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    MichaelLCkimemrpakuDisruptedCapitalistRanlinElvenshaeAldoKalnaurBrodyDevlin_DragonusplufimSporkAndrewJaysonFourSlacker71
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I can't believe they had planned for an episode of Bluey that feature some of the Friendship is Magic characters, but I totally understand why it got scrapped
    it turned into too much of a dog and pony show

    Bad DaMoonRulz! Heel!

    Echo wrote: »
    Something working on the first try is a source of great suspicion.
    discriderElvenshaeAldoDaMoonRulzKalnaurPeenSlacker71
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I started following this thread again, I haven’t been in the right head space since the new year and the onset of the pandemic.

    I haven’t seen peanut since Christmas/New Years so any FaceTime and videos are huge helps to my well being.

    I was able to send a birthday package for peanut and for some background, he L-O-V-E-S Into the Spider-verse, miles is his spider-man and the other guy is just Peter.

    Here is his reaction to his gift. Also I missed you guys.

    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

    davidsdurionsmrpakuMNC DoverKetarElvenshaeAldoMichaelLCLindsay LohanJaysonFourFishmanSlacker71
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    that's totally understandable.

    I wish I had better suggestions than just keep trying. i know that me taking a herbal supplement called Vitex to help ease my hormones helped me out *immensely* with my drama mama tendencies. But it definitely hasn't helped everything and I'm still prone to those mood swings at the worst possible time.

    I'm around if you wanna chat or something.

    Thanks, we do keep working on it and I do see some progress. Thankfully Little King is healthy and happy. He even loves our weekly family therapy sessions (calls it his other school) and enjoys the facts je learns about feelings and self worth.

    They have this chant: I am me and I am good. Words to live by.

    lonelyahavaMNC DovermrpakuDisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeSlacker71
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 12
    MNC Dover wrote: »

    My eldest (7yo) set up a second account on the family switch as his "speed running account".

    Let's build a team.

    plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    MNC DoverDevlin_Dragonus
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 12
    So. She started crawling.

    I am not prepared.

    Send thoughts & prayers.

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    BrodyDisruptedCapitalistplufimkimeMichaelLCsponoKalnaurKetarDevlin_DragonusRanlinlonelyahavamrpakuchr1sh4ll3ttb3SporkAndrewhonovereElvenshaeJansonPeenLindsay LohanJaysonFourFishmanSlacker71
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    So. She started crawling.

    I am not prepared.

    Send thoughts & prayers.

    My niece was playing with crayons, and we set Sapling just out of reach because she kept trying to put the crayons in her mouth, and I made the mistake of saying "if you can crawl over there, you can have one..."

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
    sponoKalnaurDevlin_DragonuslonelyahavamrpakuhonovereVivixenneElvenshaeJaysonFourFishmanSlacker71
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    So. She started crawling.

    I am not prepared.

    Send thoughts & prayers.

    My favourite memory of Ellie starting to crawl was when she went under the dinner table to go look out the window.

    Only she got stuck. And couldn't figure out how to get back out.
    And I'm on my tummy on the floor. As far as I could go in the forest of legs of the table and chairs.

    Between my laughing uncontrollably and my coaxing, she finally crawled herself back out.

    And then did it again.

    And again.

    Each time she crawled out, she started to cackle with laughter.

    Devlin_DragonuskimeBrodymrpakuhonovereMNC DoverVivixenneMichaelLCKalnaurElvenshaePeensponoJaysonFourFishmanSlacker71
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    My favorite memory and really a hint of what we had in store, was when peanut rolled onto his back during his tummy time at 3 months (I’ve posted a video before)

    Shortly after that he just would roll everywhere.. he was an explorer at 4 months!

    After his first roll off the bed leading into his second roll off the bed, this time him pausing long enough to briefly contemplate the fall and going for it anyway (mama bear caught him before he hit the ground - we take a let’s see what he does attitude), through all that this little butt learned to slither.

    Not crawl, definitely not able to walk yet, no.. slither with his shoulders.

    And because he was a premie, he was tiny so..

    Under the couch, under the bed, under the table some how.

    It became a “keep an eye on him at all time or he will disappear” kind of existence.

    He started taking swim classes around that time and seeing him try to translate swimming motions into land swimming motions (crawling) was adorable.



    Man... that boy continues to surprise and inspire me.


    Now hope you don’t have our problem, like peanuts ability to figure out the child safety features on the front door and the house going too quite

    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

    mrpakulonelyahavakimehonovereMNC DoverVivixenneJansonPeenJaysonFourSlacker71
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 12
    Well, we had our first trip to the Emergency Department today... and weirdly enough it had NOTHING to do with the brand new crawling skills!

    I dropped her. Very far down. I was carrying her one-armed against my shoulder while pushing the pram with my other hand. We went through a doorway with those long, annoying plastic flaps that drape downward. I didn’t have any hands free to brush them aside so I just walked through. One of them caught onto my face. I moved to shake it out of my face, and at the exact same time, Theia reached out to grab one of the other flaps as it was falling back down, shifting her body weight away from me as she turned. I had no free hand to stabilize her and before I knew it, she was falling.

    She landed flat onto her back and bonked the back of her head onto the brick pavement below. I immediately scooped her up, cuddled her, and walked to a shady spot nearby to give her a breastfeed (she was due a feed and was fussing, hence why I was holding her). She calmed down as she fed and she looked all right (no vomiting, no loss of consciousness), but since going to Emergency is free here, I took her to the local children’s hospital to be checked out.

    She fell asleep on the way there (she was also due a nap around that time). I managed to wake her up by talking loudly, just to make sure she hadn’t lost consciousness, and then let her sleep the rest of the way to the hospital.

    By the time we actually get to the ED, she’s all smiles and is back to her usual curious self. She is at maximum charming - smiling and chatting and waving to everyone who made eye contact with her.

    Anyway, she gets checked over by two doctors and a nurse. No one is concerned enough to suggest doing a scan or making any follow up appointments. We are given some info on what to watch out for over the next 24 hours, and are then discharged home. To my utter disbelief, I have shed no tears at all today nor lost my composure once. I lose my shit over the tiniest things but today I was cool as a goddamn cucumber the entire way through. The heck?!

    So yeah. She’s fine, but I’m sitting here fretting a bit because even though I’m still totally calm, I just can’t accept that she could be completely fine after falling so far and landing so hard. But apart from the bruise on the back of her head, you wouldn’t think anything was wrong! She’s just her usual self! I’m not gonna sleep tonight, but she really seems otherwise unscathed. I just... I can’t believe it.

    What a day.

    Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    DepressperadohonovereElvenshaeKalnaurAldoSharpyVIISlacker71
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That is scary stuff. Glad she's okay.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    MichaelLCmrpakuVivixenneMNC DoverDepressperadoTayakimeSporkAndrewhonovereDisruptedCapitalistBanzai5150ElvenshaeDevlin_DragonusAldolonelyahavaPeenBrodySharpyVIIdiscriderLindsay LohanJaysonFourSlacker71
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Heat Waves . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Well, we had our first trip to the Emergency Department today... and weirdly enough it had NOTHING to do with the brand new crawling skills!

    I dropped her. Very far down. I was carrying her one-armed against my shoulder while pushing the pram with my other hand. We went through a doorway with those long, annoying plastic flaps that drape downward. I didn’t have any hands free to brush them aside so I just walked through. One of them caught onto my face. I moved to shake it out of my face, and at the exact same time, Theia reached out to grab one of the other flaps as it was falling back down, shifting her body weight away from me as she turned. I had no free hand to stabilize her and before I knew it, she was falling.

    She landed flat onto her back and bonked the back of her head onto the brick pavement below. I immediately scooped her up, cuddled her, and walked to a shady spot nearby to give her a breastfeed (she was due a feed and was fussing, hence why I was holding her). She calmed down as she fed and she looked all right (no vomiting, no loss of consciousness), but since going to Emergency is free here, I took her to the local children’s hospital to be checked out.

    She fell asleep on the way there (she was also due a nap around that time). I managed to wake her up by talking loudly, just to make sure she hadn’t lost consciousness, and then let her sleep the rest of the way to the hospital.

    By the time we actually get to the ED, she’s all smiles and is back to her usual curious self. She is at maximum charming - smiling and chatting and waving to everyone who made eye contact with her.

    Anyway, she gets checked over by two doctors and a nurse. No one is concerned enough to suggest doing a scan or making any follow up appointments. We are given some info on what to watch out for over the next 24 hours, and are then discharged home. To my utter disbelief, I have shed no tears at all today nor lost my composure once. I lose my shit over the tiniest things but today I was cool as a goddamn cucumber the entire way through. The heck?!

    So yeah. She’s fine, but I’m sitting here fretting a bit because even though I’m still totally calm, I just can’t accept that she could be completely fine after falling so far and landing so hard. But apart from the bruise on the back of her head, you wouldn’t think anything was wrong! She’s just her usual self! I’m not gonna sleep tonight, but she really seems otherwise unscathed. I just... I can’t believe it.

    What a day.

    First, I want to be entirely clear that I understand the severity and anxiety inherent in kid injury, because that needs to preface the following: When my son was brand new, like, a few days home from the hospital, he was in my wife's lap and she asked for her very hot cup of tea, and I said she needed to be careful. She said, "Well yeah! I don't want to spill on the baby!", and I came back with, [ announcer voice ] "Don't Spill on the Baby! a game by Milton Bradley." And then she very nearly spit her tea on the baby.

    So that evolved into the spin-off game, "Don't Drop the Baby" (also, of course, by Milton Bradley), and has evolved into "Don't Trip on the Toddler". And while I am proud to say I have not lost the first two games, I constantly lose that last one (and he and I have both had the bruises to prove it). And that second one I've also come close to losing multiple times.

    Anyway, that all leads up to me reading your story and at the very end saying aloud "Oh no! They lost the game!".

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

    FishmanSlacker71
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    If babies were as fragile as the "can you keep this egg alive" assignment in school, the human race would have died out ages ago.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
    MNC DovermrpakuDevlin_DragonusVivixenneKalnaurElvenshaePeenProlegomenadavidsdurionsSolventSlacker71
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I can say that I still have the uncanny Daddy grab skills. You know the ones, You’re watching TV and the baby/toddler/kiddo decides to fall off A thing/Couch/Chair outside your direct line of view and with the skill of a Super Hero, you reach out and catch them mid-air/before the bounce and all ends well.

    Now that Kate is 5 years old, I’ve not had to employ those skills in a while. The other day I took her to the park right by the house. We hadn’t gone in months due to COVID and she was bouncing off the walls more than usual so we went. We were alone there as usual so it wasn’t bad. Somehow she’s no longer fearless. She used to climb on this monkey bar that’s kinda curved so you can walk across the top, about 4 feet high. Before? She’d just try crawling across and did well. Now? It’s too high! I can’t do this! And she went bar by bar, straddling them and trying to stick her leg through around her arms in a very complicated maneuver. Anyway, long story short, she had me putting my arms under her while she did it. All was well for the first 3 times across. By the 4th I’m starting to look away at other things when it happened. My arm shot out and I grabbed her by the shirt and caught her before she could hit the ground!

    1258853.png
    KalnaurDisruptedCapitalistMNC DoverSporkAndrewElvenshaeVivixennedavidsdurionsFishmanSlacker71
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    It's word how kids get scared of things they didn't used to be afraid of. I understand it but it still always seems weird lol

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Banzai5150mrpakuKalnaurDisruptedCapitalistMNC DoverAldoSporkAndrewdavidsdurionsSlacker71
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    It's word how kids get scared of things they didn't used to be afraid of. I understand it but it still always seems weird lol

    She used to love to be thrown up in the air. I’ve never missed or dropped her. And then one day, a switch was flipped and she freaks out if you pick her up above shoulder level.

    1258853.png
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    It's word how kids get scared of things they didn't used to be afraid of. I understand it but it still always seems weird lol

    She used to love to be thrown up in the air. I’ve never missed or dropped her. And then one day, a switch was flipped and she freaks out if you pick her up above shoulder level.

    Sapling goes through this in phases, and usually if I reassure her enough, along with starting small, I can help her work up the confidence to do these things again. Except grass. She will not touch grass, not stand barefoot in grass. If she falls in grass she will move to a sitting position as fast as possible, and then sit there and cry until you come get her. This is true for all other leafy things, but especially grass.

    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

    The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

    Steam: Korvalain
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie has found a new YouTube channel called Tinga Tinga tales.

    It's well animated and voiced. And they're telling what I was raised as African Why Stories.

    I'm enjoying watching them.

    Devlin_DragonusplufimDisruptedCapitalistBrodyJaysonFourSlacker71
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kate’s new obsession is Minecraft or anything to do with Minecraft. She will sit on the sofa and watch people streaming Minecraft all day if you let her. THEN she wants to replicate things she has seen, and by replicate, I mean have Daddy do it for her. Daddy sucks at Minecraft, and actually does not find any joy in the game, but between me and the 15 year old son, we can get some of it done. UNTIL she decides to create a new World and then we’re stuck back at the beginning. After 6 new worlds I’ve told her if she wants me to play she needs to pick the one that we did the most work on and stay there as I’m not going to go through all the steps to get back to where we were.

    P.s. I hate Minecraft, as I’m not a type of person that can be plopped into an open sandbox and find joy there. I’m very much the person that needs to be told what to do or at the least have a list of things to accomplish.

    1258853.png
    mrpakuSlacker71
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    There's a youtube minecraft player named Dream who has a number of very amusing and exciting youtube videos where he tries to speed run the game with an increasing number of friends trying to kill him first.

    Our kiddo enjoyed minecraft all on her own, but she's asked to watch those a bunch of times, they're quite entertaining.

    That being said, it does demonstrate how there *can* be a list of things to accomplish, on the path to defeating the ender dragon and viewing the credits. After which you can continue to chill in your world, I'm pretty sure.

    We definitely had a similar situation in that she constantly made new worlds, but she at least wanted to do all the building on her own.

    Banzai5150
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Definitely one of those "teach a kid how to fish" kind of games, it can be a great confidence boost and a more enjoyable pastime if she's the one doing all the things and sharing what she's doing with you and her brother. It will be frustrating for her to watch people build cool stuff and then she'll struggle with building something simpler, but that's part of the learning experience.

    Gabe+kids held building contests on their stream a while back, where they all decided to build an aquarium. They were spending time together, laughing with each other and it looked like a lot of fun. Not in the least because the kids were building super intricate aquariums, while Gabe just plonked something lame down and then spent the rest of stream marveling at the work of his kids.


    --
    In depressed partner news: she's going to start back up with a medication, hopefully things will get better in a few weeks.

    Banzai5150DisruptedCapitalistJansonMNC DovermrpakulonelyahavaSlacker71
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    She is now finally helping out. She used to just follow me around in game and get in the way. Now she’s building her own house. Just a rough square, but learning how to make glass windows and putting them in, etc. She has way to many wolf/dogs that she created a house just for them. She actually makes much more progress if I sit and watch her play than when I play along side her as she wants to follow daddy around. Daddy usually plops down a boat and fishes off the shore while she builds things, then I put my haul in her box to use.

    1258853.png
    AldoElvenshaekimeKalnaurmrpakuDevlin_DragonusBrodySlacker71
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've not had to deal with videogame training yet, but starting with watching semi-pro Minecraft videos feels like your setting the kid up for failure.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Heat Waves . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My son dearly wants to play Hollow Knight, but at 4 he's just not ready. So instead my wife gives him an off-brand Switch controller with no batteries in it that he broke, and she plays the game instead.

    He also likes to watch me play pretty much any game, though Pokemon anything, Dragon Quest XI, or anything that looks sufficiently cartoonish is pretty good for him. Considering his attention span, it's a miracle he focuses on anything at all. Which partly is because he's 4 and partly because of his particular brand of autism. A gerbil on uppers would have more focus.

    But he's started saying more things! For example, he was sitting next to me when I used the pulse engine in No Man's Sky and I counted down "3, 2, 1, GO!" as it kicked in, then I landed did some stuff, and he reaches over and tries to take the controller. I was like, "hey, what's up, buddy?" and he says, "free, doo, wan, GO!" So apparently that's a favorite now. Related, he's got a book about a ghost named Boo (Boo is new, he's learning how to be friends with other kids, who are a robot, T-rex, monster, and almiraj) and he "reads" (more or less says "oh oh woah uh" as he scans the words with his finger) right up until the end where they're playing hide and seek and Boo is counting, and then he says "free, doo, wan, yedy oh not, hea I comb!" then closes the book and says "da en".

    And then he turns the book over and starts again.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

    ProlegomenaJansonlonelyahavaplufimkimeSporkAndrewLindsay LohanBanzai5150djmitchellaSlacker71
  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    My older daughter has been watching some MInecraft videos, carefully selected to avoid horror, and it's helped her learn about a bunch of stuff you can do and I think that's pretty neat. I've never played any Minecraft so when she and her sister asked me about it I loaded them into a creative world and said I dunno man, we'll have to figure it out.

    Their structures are increasingly elaborate and the stuff they've figured out is very cool, it's a good game.

    DaMoonRulzmrpakuElvenshaeSporkAndrewJaysonFourSlacker71
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Athena has entered the 'Why?' Phase

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    KalnaurElvenshaelonelyahavaMegaMan001honoverePerrsunkimeJaysonFourSlacker71
Sign In or Register to comment.